User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 105 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"I highly highly highly recommend using this medicine in treating and managing your IBS symptoms. I've been on it less than a month and with a combination of the medicine and a diet (staying away from fatty foods, fried foods, soda, chocolate and eating lots of fruit) I have found relief I thought I'd never find. I'm 18 years old and I've had my fair share of history in battling these symptoms, it was rough but with this medicine, it became a lot easier."

Max108714567 February 2, 2016

"Amitriptyline, Is an excellent choice for ibs."

RyderB January 9, 2016

"After trying many other medications & various limits on certain types of food, my Dr. ordered 10 mg at bedtime. Within 2 days, my Irritable Bowel was controllable. I still have to watch what I eat, but at least I can leave the house and have a normal life."

Miata Princess (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2015

"My gastro-guy prescribed 10mgm daily @ bedtime. WOW! immediate relief! Uhh... make that WAY relief, actually. I'm absolutely pleased with the effectiveness of this nearly microscopic pill, HOWEVER, I am NOW taking it ONLY as needed (need indicated by return of the mighty "D" in IBS-D). Maybe I'll try ye auld pill cutter, as I have a sneaky feeling that a daily 1/2 dose might be more to my gut's liking than the grab 'n go I'm trying during this, the fifth week since first meeting this li'l bombshell."

"Marnie" (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2015

"Second medication I tried after years of issues, definitely helped but didn't help completely and issues have been slowly returning here and there. Works much better if I make sure to take it at the same time every day."

KBkr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2015

"For a long time it seemed that everything I ate would cause my belly to swell so I looked pregnant. My constipation and belly pain also worsened significantly the last few years. After a battery of testing it was determined that I had SIBO and IBS-C. After treatment with the antibiotics, my bloat was better but not gone. Tried linzess for the constipation but I hated it. Then doctor prescribed Amitiza for constipation and Amitriptine 25mg at night for bloat and pain. It has SAVED me. The pain is gone and the bloat is almost gone! Plus, the side effects work to my advantage. Don't get up to pee 4 times a night anymore and I have never slept better! Dry mouth is pretty bad but I will take that over the pain, any day."

Byebyebloat November 4, 2015

"It was both heartwarming and very frustrating reading all the posts on the amazing results that sufferers of IBS found from this medication. I suffer from a disease called Chronic Radiation Enteritis, which is a possible late effect of having radiation to my abdominal area when I was 12 -- I am now 53. After only 2-3 days of taking the drug, I became extremely anxious, moody, and eventually a general feeling of hopelessness settled on me that was absolutely horrible. I have taken the 30 pills as asked, but not only did it not help my gut, but made me generally miserable for the entire month. So IBS people, I am so happy for you, and pray that something will come along that will help me even half as much as the testimonials I read here."

ValleyOfTheDolls (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2015

"A number of doctors told me there was no cure for IBS and that I just needed to watch what I ate. My misery continued for years, until I went to a gastro specialist who put me on this - it nearly cured me. I need to be a little careful with rich and spicy food but otherwise I am effectively cured using a 10mg dose."

grateful-fred August 2, 2015

"I used to feel like I ate rocks/glass when I ate food. Now I feel Nothing! Amazing medication. I still has IBS/Gallbladder disease/food intolerances but I am a lot better on this medication!"

BellyWoes June 7, 2015

"I have had IBS since I can remember as a child I thought it was a normal thing cause I've had it all my life. I'm in my 20's now and a few years ago is when my ibs got out of control. I've had many medical visits to the ER for my ibs pain and boy let me tell you the pain is unimaginable. I even contemplated suicide yes I was in that much pain and suffering after many failed attempts from different medications I did my extensive research and pretty much told my doctor that I wanted to try this medication im on 25mg this medication is a miracle why have these doctors been hiding this medication from ibs suffers iam now pain free and I can live my life with my family and enjoy every minute of it please try this medication it does wonders"

david c. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2015

"I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 months now - I take 10mg morning and night due to how severe my irritable bowel syndrome is. I can eat everything now and have no side effects - I used to have diarrhea, bloating, stomach cramps & bad gas every time I ate gluten, dairy, spicy foods, onion, garlic and coffee (I've suffered from IBS for 8 years) This medicine has changed my life."

kellyratkovic291284 April 14, 2015

"I had stomach problem since 2009. I am not going into detail cause no one is interested in my entire experience with IBS. I should say that due to IBS I had to quit university, part time job and worse of all the woman I have been with since many years left me. So I went from being one of the most social people to being one of the most lonely people. A doctor one day wrote me a script for "amitriptyline" I don't need to explain how it effected not only on my stomach but it has brought a great change in my life as a whole, it was just spot on!"

javadhikmati (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

"I have suffered with severe IBS symptoms for 25 years. It became really debilitating. I decided to have a colonoscopy and gastroscopy to make sure there was no other underlying problem. I was diagnosed with IBS. The doctor prescribed 1 librax in the morning and 1 librex and 1 Trepiline at night. He also prescribed VSL#3 which is a probiotic. This doctor saved my life. Since taking this medication, my IBS flare ups and symptoms are becoming a thing of the past, as long as I also watch what I eat."

StormyB48 March 7, 2015

"I use this medicine as an antidepressant and for my Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It works miracles. I am sleepy a lot because of it and at first I had dry mouth, but compared to the cramps and upset stomach pains I was used to before this medicine, I could deal with the sleepiness and dry mouth!"

LKR15 March 1, 2015

"I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Diarrhea for around 8 years. After GP tried everything, as a last resort I was prescribed 5mg before bed. The very next morning I was amazed at the difference. It also helped greatly with sleep. After 3 days I took it every other day, then after another week every 2-3 days, and so on. After 6 weeks I didn't need to take it continuously anymore. Only the occasional times when it flared up during the next year or so. 18 months later I was free of the problems and had to dispose of the remaining prescription! It's very underrated from what I have read."

GBR john (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2014

"I was skeptical and did not want to take this. My doctor prescribed Amitriptyline and Citalopram in approx. 1/4 dosage given for depression. I had just gone through the worst 4 four months of my life with debilitating Irritable Bowel Syndrome attacks nearly every day that would last for two to up to 8 hours. I gave in and tried the medications. I have not had a single IBS attack since the very first night I took the medications. It feels like a miracle. My attacks were so bad the thought of dying seemed better than having the attacks regularly. I thank my incredible doctor and God for introducing me to this medicine. "

IBS sufferer for 28 years (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed me Elavil 10mg for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Migraines. It helped tremendously with the IBS symptoms, the migraines are still there though, not with the associated symptoms such as the vomiting etc, but still severe head pain. Major disadvantage I found was it ruined my sleep completely. I have to actually take it in the morning or I can't sleep. Doesn't make me tired or groggy at all when taken in the morning although my doctor finds it strange that it ruins my sleep...therefore that maybe isn't such a common occurrence."

$hay October 30, 2014

"This medicine is amazing. After 10 years of chronic diarrhea, fecal urgency and other Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms, I went to see the gastro as I was doubled over in colic-type pain up to 3 times a month. He gave me 25mg to take at night and I haven't looked back."

looksharp (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 28, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I suffered from irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea at least 3 times a day. I have now been on the medication for over two months and I cried with happiness at my follow-up! I have had diarrhea TWICE since I started taking the medication. This medication has genuinely saved my life."

Lou95 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2014

"I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 weeks and I want to hug the people who make this. I don't have those daily stomach aches. Hoping this stays working for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2014

"I started with 2 days of bad indigestion then nausea and frequent small movements all day soft but tiny amounts. After few days took amitriptyline and next day was completely fine and no motion all day. Down side had very dry mouth. Doctor said to try going back on. Voiceless which I had taken some time before and was okay for 5 days but then irritable bowel syndrome came back. So will try amitriptyline again."

Likeable June 20, 2014

"If your thinking about going on this medicine for irritable bowel syndrome do it! I have been suffering for almost 5 years now and I was missing work and was terrified to leave my house. Any social event I would go to I would be terrified I would have a flare up. I used to LIVE off Pepto and I started taking amitriptyline (25mg) it has changed my life! For real! Besides a little weight gain which is much better then living the life I was, it has truly saved me. This dosage is really good for me and my irritable bowel syndrome was very severe. I take it with dinner so I don't wake up to tired! Good luck!"

Badibs (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Diarrhea for several years, with pain, bloating, diarrhea and loud intestinal gurgling after every meal. Gastro doc put me on Amitriptyline started with 5mg and worked up to 25mg over 2 months. It really works. I forgot to take it for a couple of days and all the symptoms came back. It also helps with my neck and shoulder pain and neuropathy from pinched nerves in my neck. Another bonus is this medication is very inexpensive."

SuzanneL64 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2014

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking 12.5 mg a night for a couple years and this has helped me live a near normal life. It took a couple weeks for me to really feel the difference. I continue to have flare ups now and again, along with symptoms similar to prostatitis, but I can take a very low dose of Valium (2.5 mg) and the 12.5mg of Amitriptiline for 1 night and am back to normal the next day. I have found that regular exercise is also very helpful. I am 56 and just completed a 1/2 marathon, that would have been impossible before I started the Amitriptiline. Still have to watch what I eat to some degree, but nothing like before. "

DEMM July 10, 2013

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Irritable Bowel Syndrome sufferer for years. Amitriptyline works really well for me. There are still certain foods I avoid and I very occasionally get a flare up (normally because I have either over eaten or eaten something I would normally avoid). I take 20mg at night time, I did try to reduce this down to 10mg but after a couple of weeks all my symptoms were back, pain, bloating, constipation, etc. I'd advice anyone suffering to give it a go. It took several weeks of taking it before I experienced significant relief of symptom. Although I read that for some people it works straight away. Hope this helps."

Mag08 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 28, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate