User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 96 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Review by looksharp (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This medicine is amazing. After 10 years of chronic diarrhea, fecal urgency and other Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms, I went to see the gastro as I was doubled over in colic-type pain up to 3 times a month. He gave me 25mg to take at night and I haven't looked back.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 10:53 AM

Review by Lou95 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I suffered from irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea at least 3 times a day. I have now been on the medication for over two months and I cried with happiness at my follow-up! I have had diarrhea TWICE since I started taking the medication. This medication has genuinely saved my life.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 25, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 weeks and I want to hug the people who make this. I don't have those daily stomach aches. Hoping this stays working for me.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2014 8:00 AM

Review by Likeable (taken for less than 1 month):

I started with 2 days of bad indigestion then nausea and frequent small movements all day soft but tiny amounts. After few days took amitriptyline and next day was completely fine and no motion all day. Down side had very dry mouth. Doctor said to try going back on. Voiceless which I had taken some time before and was okay for 5 days but then irritable bowel syndrome came back. So will try amitriptyline again.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 3:30 AM

Review by Badibs (taken for 1 to 6 months):

If your thinking about going on this medicine for irritable bowel syndrome do it! I have been suffering for almost 5 years now and I was missing work and was terrified to leave my house. Any social event I would go to I would be terrified I would have a flare up. I used to LIVE off Pepto and I started taking amitriptyline (25mg) it has changed my life! For real! Besides a little weight gain which is much better then living the life I was, it has truly saved me. This dosage is really good for me and my irritable bowel syndrome was very severe. I take it with dinner so I don't wake up to tired! Good luck!

March 19, 2014 12:16 AM

Review by SuzanneL64 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have been suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Diarrhea for several years, with pain, bloating, diarrhea and loud intestinal gurgling after every meal. Gastro doc put me on Amitriptyline started with 5mg and worked up to 25mg over 2 months. It really works. I forgot to take it for a couple of days and all the symptoms came back. It also helps with my neck and shoulder pain and neuropathy from pinched nerves in my neck. Another bonus is this medication is very inexpensive.

January 11, 2014 7:13 PM

Review by DEMM:

I have been taking 12.5 mg a night for a couple years and this has helped me live a near normal life. It took a couple weeks for me to really feel the difference. I continue to have flare ups now and again, along with symptoms similar to prostatitis, but I can take a very low dose of Valium (2.5 mg) and the 12.5mg of Amitriptiline for 1 night and am back to normal the next day. I have found that regular exercise is also very helpful. I am 56 and just completed a 1/2 marathon, that would have been impossible before I started the Amitriptiline. Still have to watch what I eat to some degree, but nothing like before.

July 10, 2013 2:50 PM

Review by Mag08 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Irritable Bowel Syndrome sufferer for years. Amitriptyline works really well for me. There are still certain foods I avoid and I very occasionally get a flare up (normally because I have either over eaten or eaten something I would normally avoid). I take 20mg at night time, I did try to reduce this down to 10mg but after a couple of weeks all my symptoms were back, pain, bloating, constipation, etc. I'd advice anyone suffering to give it a go. It took several weeks of taking it before I experienced significant relief of symptom. Although I read that for some people it works straight away. Hope this helps.

June 28, 2013 5:34 AM

Review by Jody108:

I am not much of a prescriptions type person but I tried this medicine and at 50mg each night. WOW! I am feeling normal for the first time in 20 years. My insane thirst and aches are gone (most days). The side effects are severe constipation and all my old injuries are flaring up. I don't mind though. I'd rather not have bowel movements and a bad ankle than Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

May 22, 2013 11:55 PM

Review by Momof3inSpokane:

I am not speaking from personal experience, but for my 12 year old son. He started having stomach issues about 2 years ago. His symptoms included bloating, gas pains, constipation, and diarrhea. Sometimes the stomach pains would keep him up at night, unable to sleep. We monitored his diet, and found that removing dairy helped, but did not eliminate the problem. We, along with doctors determined he suffered from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. A pediatric GI doctor recommended trying amitriptyline. He started with a 10 mg dose each night which seemed to help. After several months the dose was upped to 20 mg/night. It has made a significant difference! He sleeps well each night, and has not had a significant painful IBS flare up in almost a year!

May 17, 2013 2:37 AM

Review by StevePhiladelphia:

I've got two issues going now irritable bowel syndrome - or at least they are pretty sure that is what it is - sour stomach and bloating and lots of gas - plus urinary urges from prostate surgery. The IBS symptoms started in Oct (4 months ago). I am 68 yr old Male. Dr. prescribed the Amitriptyline last week and I'm on my fourth day of 10 MG before bed. I sleep sounder than ever and get up after 8 hours but tired, trying to eat healthy breakfast (oatmeal, toast and coffee - gotta have my coffee). Getting some late morning headaches and some of day better than others. I do not have diarrhea but some constipation. Not sure how many days before I know it works. I really feel for those of you who posted that you've had IBS for YEARS!

February 4, 2013 4:00 PM

Review by Pdubs:

I have suffered with irritable bowel syndrome for over 15 years. In the last two years it got so bad I could not continue working. Seventeen months ago my GP gave me a prescription for 100mg to take at bedtime. The first night I slept 14 hours and woke up high as a kite. The following two nights I took a half and the next night a quarter with the same results and decided this medicine was not for me and returned to suffering. Three months ago in desperation I took another 100mg pill and had the same experience for three days on just the one dose. After reading reviews stating that IBS patients were taking 10 to 20 mg I started on lower doses with success. I am now trying to determine my best dosage.

December 6, 2012 10:07 AM

Review by maz79:

I have been taking amitriptyline for 2 weeks for irritable bowel syndrome. Until now I was taking Buscopan 3-4 x a day. They were really good and helped my problem with diarrhea but on the odd occasion I'd still get a flare up and had to watch what I eat. I now take 10 mg of amitriptyline each night and am pleased to say, I'm now able to eat whatever I fancy without getting the gurgling tummy, bloatedness and urgency to use the loo.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 22, 2011 8:59 AM

Review by alwayslookonthebrightside:

Having suffered with irritable bowel syndrome for about 20 years and experiencing bloated stomach and being doubled up with stomach pains after virtually every meal I had consulted a specialist, tried various diets and self-medication and had no relief. This lead to me feeling constantly worn out and depressed. I really thought I was stuck with this for life and then ... I was prescribed amitriptyline. I started with 20mg and gradually increased to 50mg over a period of 6 months. The dosage was then gradually decreased and I was fine until I got down to 10mg, when the pains started to come back again. I increased to 20mg, which I have been taking for about 2 years and other than the occasional short flare-up, I have been fine. I have my life back again!

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2011 8:47 PM

Review by Linley10:

I had terrible IBS until I was put on Amitriptyline - it has made an amazing difference, it is easy to take, with no side effects apart from putting on a few pounds (I am now holding onto food long enough for my body to absorb the nutrients now I think!). I have not felt so good in a long time.

November 29, 2009 2:29 AM

I started with a low dose (10mg) for two weeks then started 25 mg for the last couple of weeks. So far so good. I used to have a bout with diarrhea at least 4-5 times a week before taking this medicine, but now have not had any.

November 23, 2009 6:31 PM

Review by ja20:

I have taken amitriptyline for 3 months for IBS. I take 20mg at night and 10mg in morning. I cannot believe how well I feel. I put a little weight on but can now make arrangements to go out and not have to cancel due to the IBS.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2008 2:06 PM