User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"I have been dealing with IBS for about 2 years now, NOTHING was working. The doctors tried everything to see if they could help my pain and stomach problems. About 1 month ago my doctor prescribed this medication and my stomach pains are 99% gone. I take a 10 mg pill every night and it not only helps with my IBS, it also helps with my anxiety. I would recommend this medication to anyone! I can start living the life that I had before IBS, its amazing!"

Vron07 May 25, 2016

"I've been battling Gastrointestinal problems from day one, but for the last two years, I've been suffering intolerable pain. two GP's and two gastroenerologists later I was still having problems with no clear diagnosis. Finally, I saw a new GP last week, that seemed to chalk my symptoms up to IBS, and she prescribed me this medication. I've only been on 1/2 a 25mg pill each evening for five days, and already my symptoms have vastly improved. There's brief pain for about 10 minutes occasionally, but it passes quickly now and is far less severe, and I'm not kept up all night by the pain anymore like before. No ill effects, as I take it in the evening about an hour before bedtime. This medication is a godsend for me!"

Big-E73 May 21, 2016

"I was given elavil for my migraine. .I've been taking 10 my for 1 week N now week 2 up to 20mg..I also have dealt with ibs-c..the migraine/headaches hav subsided a little..but my bloating N cramping N nausea r all still there..it did help my sleep the first week but I've had trouble sleeping on week 2..from the other testimonials on here I'm gonna give it a couple more weeks to see if more improvement occurs.."

Nana tonya (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

"I was on Acutane for acne. However, it caused my IBS. I was in severe pain. I tried diet changes and that seemed to help. My doctor gave me this wonderful pill! If i take it every night, I have almost no pain. I would recommend this to anyone! The only side effect that I have is a dry mouth, but I can handle that any day!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2016

"This has worked very well for me.I Still have bouts now and then, but nothing like before the medication. I take 25 mg per day. If I am having cramps and/or frequent loose stools, I'll take an additional 12.5 mg (split a 25mg tab) during the day. I take the 25 at night, which also aids in sleep. Only negative side affect is some mild to moderate urine retention. This is in part due to also having BPH. But the goods outweigh the negatives."

Redmustang96 May 13, 2016

"Before starting this most mornings I always felt sick to my stomach and whenever I went out always had to make sure a bathroom was nearby. My doctor prescribed this to me at 5 MG a day to start slowly I got up to 10 MG a day and that is what I take now the only downside I've had with this pill is it makes me very tired for this reason I take it at night. We experimented with taking 10 MG one night then 5 MG the next it helped the tiredness but I was willing to deal with the tiredness in exchange for less pain I still have to stay away from foods that make me sick and it doesn't take away all pain but has helped tremendously and I'm very grateful for it."

Jnaomn April 26, 2016

"Incredible! I've been diagnosed with IBS since I was about 12. 12-18 it was stomach ache here and there, few bad nights etc. As I entered my 20s in got a lot worse. I'd have bad days and sometimes bad weeks. If affected my work and social life, I got anxiety when going out and just worried useless I was home and close to the bathroom. Tried different medication, some made me worse and some did nothing. After changing GPs I was put on Amitriptyline, I didn't hold out much hope but after 1 month I noticed the difference. It took me a while to adjust and after 4 years of using the drug I am 98% better. On and off have bad days, but due to me eating badly as I am intolerant to Dairy and Wheat. Give it ago for at least 6 months!"

Adam A (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 14, 2016

"After years of messing around with various diets, pills, etc - and getting down to 125 lbs (I'm a 51 year old male, 5'9") - Elavil has apparently cured my IBS-D. I still avoid dairy and spicy food (also have GERD) - but basically, I'm cured. I've also gained 25 lbs - which is actually too much. It does seem to increase your appetite. But - that's a trade-off I'm willing to make. I have no idea why I wasn't given this med by my GI guy. I was actually given it by my PCP for Anxiety, and I wanted something that wouldn't make my IBS-D worse."

Cruncher Block (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 6, 2016

"Life changing medication! Why I hadn't been prescribed amitriptyline years ago I cannot understand but after years of living 3 weeks bad out of every 4 in excruciating pain and the dreaded (D) I now have at least 98% better quality of life .....don't get me wrong I have odd days when I will have pains and to use the term my gastroentorologist used (explosions), but compared to life before ,its totally manageable .I Started on 10mg at bed time but upped it to 20mg and this works better, no adverse side affects and I have been using about a year now. Naturally suffering from I.B.S I watch what I eat carefully and everyone's different but for me it's really helped"

Westiemum1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2016

"I highly highly highly recommend using this medicine in treating and managing your IBS symptoms. I've been on it less than a month and with a combination of the medicine and a diet (staying away from fatty foods, fried foods, soda, chocolate and eating lots of fruit) I have found relief I thought I'd never find. I'm 18 years old and I've had my fair share of history in battling these symptoms, it was rough but with this medicine, it became a lot easier."

Max108714567 February 2, 2016

"Amitriptyline, Is an excellent choice for ibs."

RyderB January 9, 2016

"After trying many other medications & various limits on certain types of food, my Dr. ordered 10 mg at bedtime. Within 2 days, my Irritable Bowel was controllable. I still have to watch what I eat, but at least I can leave the house and have a normal life."

Miata Princess (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2015

"My gastro-guy prescribed 10mgm daily @ bedtime. WOW! immediate relief! Uhh... make that WAY relief, actually. I'm absolutely pleased with the effectiveness of this nearly microscopic pill, HOWEVER, I am NOW taking it ONLY as needed (need indicated by return of the mighty "D" in IBS-D). Maybe I'll try ye auld pill cutter, as I have a sneaky feeling that a daily 1/2 dose might be more to my gut's liking than the grab 'n go I'm trying during this, the fifth week since first meeting this li'l bombshell."

"Marnie" (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2015

"Second medication I tried after years of issues, definitely helped but didn't help completely and issues have been slowly returning here and there. Works much better if I make sure to take it at the same time every day."

KBkr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 7, 2015

"For a long time it seemed that everything I ate would cause my belly to swell so I looked pregnant. My constipation and belly pain also worsened significantly the last few years. After a battery of testing it was determined that I had SIBO and IBS-C. After treatment with the antibiotics, my bloat was better but not gone. Tried linzess for the constipation but I hated it. Then doctor prescribed Amitiza for constipation and Amitriptine 25mg at night for bloat and pain. It has SAVED me. The pain is gone and the bloat is almost gone! Plus, the side effects work to my advantage. Don't get up to pee 4 times a night anymore and I have never slept better! Dry mouth is pretty bad but I will take that over the pain, any day."

Byebyebloat November 4, 2015

"It was both heartwarming and very frustrating reading all the posts on the amazing results that sufferers of IBS found from this medication. I suffer from a disease called Chronic Radiation Enteritis, which is a possible late effect of having radiation to my abdominal area when I was 12 -- I am now 53. After only 2-3 days of taking the drug, I became extremely anxious, moody, and eventually a general feeling of hopelessness settled on me that was absolutely horrible. I have taken the 30 pills as asked, but not only did it not help my gut, but made me generally miserable for the entire month. So IBS people, I am so happy for you, and pray that something will come along that will help me even half as much as the testimonials I read here."

ValleyOfTheDolls (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2015

"A number of doctors told me there was no cure for IBS and that I just needed to watch what I ate. My misery continued for years, until I went to a gastro specialist who put me on this - it nearly cured me. I need to be a little careful with rich and spicy food but otherwise I am effectively cured using a 10mg dose."

grateful-fred August 2, 2015

"I used to feel like I ate rocks/glass when I ate food. Now I feel Nothing! Amazing medication. I still has IBS/Gallbladder disease/food intolerances but I am a lot better on this medication!"

BellyWoes June 7, 2015

"I have had IBS since I can remember as a child I thought it was a normal thing cause I've had it all my life. I'm in my 20's now and a few years ago is when my ibs got out of control. I've had many medical visits to the ER for my ibs pain and boy let me tell you the pain is unimaginable. I even contemplated suicide yes I was in that much pain and suffering after many failed attempts from different medications I did my extensive research and pretty much told my doctor that I wanted to try this medication im on 25mg this medication is a miracle why have these doctors been hiding this medication from ibs suffers iam now pain free and I can live my life with my family and enjoy every minute of it please try this medication it does wonders"

david c. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 months now - I take 10mg morning and night due to how severe my irritable bowel syndrome is. I can eat everything now and have no side effects - I used to have diarrhea, bloating, stomach cramps & bad gas every time I ate gluten, dairy, spicy foods, onion, garlic and coffee (I've suffered from IBS for 8 years) This medicine has changed my life."

kellyratkovic291284 April 14, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had stomach problem since 2009. I am not going into detail cause no one is interested in my entire experience with IBS. I should say that due to IBS I had to quit university, part time job and worse of all the woman I have been with since many years left me. So I went from being one of the most social people to being one of the most lonely people. A doctor one day wrote me a script for "amitriptyline" I don't need to explain how it effected not only on my stomach but it has brought a great change in my life as a whole, it was just spot on!"

javadhikmati (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

"I have suffered with severe IBS symptoms for 25 years. It became really debilitating. I decided to have a colonoscopy and gastroscopy to make sure there was no other underlying problem. I was diagnosed with IBS. The doctor prescribed 1 librax in the morning and 1 librex and 1 Trepiline at night. He also prescribed VSL#3 which is a probiotic. This doctor saved my life. Since taking this medication, my IBS flare ups and symptoms are becoming a thing of the past, as long as I also watch what I eat."

StormyB48 March 7, 2015

"I use this medicine as an antidepressant and for my Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It works miracles. I am sleepy a lot because of it and at first I had dry mouth, but compared to the cramps and upset stomach pains I was used to before this medicine, I could deal with the sleepiness and dry mouth!"

LKR15 March 1, 2015

"I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Diarrhea for around 8 years. After GP tried everything, as a last resort I was prescribed 5mg before bed. The very next morning I was amazed at the difference. It also helped greatly with sleep. After 3 days I took it every other day, then after another week every 2-3 days, and so on. After 6 weeks I didn't need to take it continuously anymore. Only the occasional times when it flared up during the next year or so. 18 months later I was free of the problems and had to dispose of the remaining prescription! It's very underrated from what I have read."

GBR john (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2014

"I was skeptical and did not want to take this. My doctor prescribed Amitriptyline and Citalopram in approx. 1/4 dosage given for depression. I had just gone through the worst 4 four months of my life with debilitating Irritable Bowel Syndrome attacks nearly every day that would last for two to up to 8 hours. I gave in and tried the medications. I have not had a single IBS attack since the very first night I took the medications. It feels like a miracle. My attacks were so bad the thought of dying seemed better than having the attacks regularly. I thank my incredible doctor and God for introducing me to this medicine. "

IBS sufferer for 28 years (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2014

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate