User Reviews for Cymbalta

Learn more about Cymbalta.

Generalized Anxiety Disorder 31 reviews 6 medications

6.3
Summary of Cymbalta reviews 685 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Cymbalta

Review by Howmil (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: After 7.5 years, this past Jan. I thought I would try viibryd. Went up on it, down on cymbalta. Had a moderate adjustment with ups and downs. It was not as effacacious so titrated down viibryd and up on cymbalta. Got deeply depressed in between and on one moderate day; tried wellbutrin. I titrated slowly up and this was death warmed over! Titrated back from hell to 60 cymbalta. I am just back to normal. Long story short: if it's not broken don't fix it. Cymbalta still is the best. Some weight gain but some exercise can help it a bit..

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 27, 2015 5:17 PM

Review by NoLongerDown:

For Depression: Amazing! Best depression & anxiety medication I have been on & I have tried many. Horrible initial side effects but after 2 weeks subsided. Without a doubt completely worth it. Anxiety & depression dramatically diminished, libido back with a vengeance :) HIGHLY recommended from a person with a long history of acute anxiety & depression which was made worse by not being able to find a suitable medication until now. Best 6 months ever.

April 25, 2015 5:58 PM

Review by Pjlaura (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Back Pain: I was prescribed Cymbalta for sciatic nerve pain in my lower back. I had severe pain down my left leg, surges of heat in my left foot and numbness down the leftside of my lower body. I was in physical therapy, which helped, but I couldn't make it through an 8 hour workday without leaving in pain. My neurologist prescribed Cymbalta and said that it might also help with my bouts of depression and anxiety. I started on 30mg and upped to 60mg to increase the effect. I've never been happier and now I can live a normal life. I will get some sciatic nerve pain at night still. I do get terrible night sweats. I also get "brain zaps" occasionally (search the web for that one). I'm concerned about getting off the drug as I've read horror stories.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 9:27 PM

Review by Dscot:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Helps with depression but my doc has had to increase my dose to keep up with my depression. I guess I get used to the drug & need more. Huge weight gain -- 18 pounds over 2 months after the last increase to 120 mg. but I guess I'd rather be plump than crying depressed forever. Zero libido but that might be my age (65). I hope I can decrease the dosage as I learn to cope with specific life events largely related to my Dad's death and my mother in a nursing home (nightmare). No help with anxiety & doc prescribed Xanax for that. No difference in back pain. In summary: helps depression, but I gained weight & lost interest in sex & other things. Does not help pain and does nothing for my anxiety.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 7:12 PM

Review by Miss Ninja:

For Anxiety: I was prescribed Cymbalta for anxiety, it has had a major positive impact. I was a competitive distance runner for about 25 years and sprained both ankles and wore out my knees. I was so achy in my joints all weekend and realized I did not take my medicine Saturday or Sunday because I put my pill case away when the cleaning lady came--HA HA. It helps anxiety and joint pain. I am very pleased with the results.

April 20, 2015 4:31 PM

Review by ceejustine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: My personal journey with Cymbalta so far is a positive one. Severe anxiety/depression has been present in my life for approximately four years and I've found that Cymbalta has immensely suppressed my anxious symptoms. Through my experience, Cymbalta took on its full effect about 3 weeks in. I am beginning to enjoy life again! I highly recommend this medication to others, especially if immense anxiety is a part of your life. I am most impressed with this medications ability to deplete anxiety! Good Luck! I hope the best for anyone struggling with these miserable conditions.

April 14, 2015 9:46 PM

Review by lesweet1971 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I would have rated Cymbalta a 10 if not for lowered libido & difficulty going off of it (not uncommon for most all AD's). I took for 6 years after an episode of anxiety & depression. I would still be taking it but it effect was dropping off after about 6 years so I switched meds (wish I hadn't have messed with switching but that's another story). The only side effect I noticed consistently over 6 years was decreased libido. I'm sure there were initial start up effects but I was such a nervous wreck that I either didn't notice or don't remember. It was a great med for me & I wish it still worked.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2015 10:28 PM

Review by Caligirl71:

For Anxiety: I have GAD, tried celexa, worked for a while, mental fog. I then tried Lexapro which worked but I decided to try Cymbalta for its chronic low back pain effectiveness. I have a bulged disc, arthritis from homecare for many years. I will not even consider Narcotics for pain... Cymbalta has been a life saver, I too have dry mouth night sweats, increased weight of 10lbs. But I feel calmer, I started off on 30 mg for 2 wks the increased the dose per my HCP. I can tell when I don't take it. Chronic low back pain, dizziness as well and anxiety symptoms return... I am a nurse and I hate taking medicine but this is one medicine I don't mind taking. The benefits out weigh the everything else.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2015 6:21 PM

Review by StormyRed48 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: Works really well with little or no side effects.

April 7, 2015 12:15 PM

Review by Diniken:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I fill better.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2015 12:42 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: Been very helpful

March 16, 2015 2:27 PM

Review by Potomac:

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: Excellent results with Cymbalta on 30mg once each night. Burning pain reduced some 80%. Does generate dreams, but not uncomfortable dreams. This is the first medicine that helped. Side effects too great with Neurontin; felt little to no effect with Lyrica.

March 10, 2015 1:10 PM

Review by bry188uk (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I took this medicine for about 5 years in addition to Lithium for bipolar 2. It was good for depression and anxiety, but I found I was tired a lot, and if I got a bad nights sleep (which was often) my mood could drop or I could become slightly hypomanic.

March 5, 2015 6:56 AM

Review by goodme56377:

For Chronic Pain: This works. Gained a lot of weight. Made me sleepy. I took it at night still couldn't wake up In the morning. Had mouth sores. Coming off it was miserable to say the least.

March 4, 2015 5:11 AM

Review by Robertjc (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Didn't help with anxiety at all but did help some with depression. Take 60mg

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2015 7:39 AM

Review by Esther-essie:

For Depression: Confusion, grumpiness, memory loss, and lethargy.

February 24, 2015 3:06 PM

Review by w.g.:

For Chronic Pain: Totally killed our sex life

February 20, 2015 4:38 PM

Review by MarshaL8424:

For Fibromyalgia: I was in a clinical trial for fibromyalgia with Cymbalta. It helped tremendously, I was in a double blind study but could definitely tell the difference in being on a minimal dose and therapeutic dose. This was in 2008 and I have taken it since with great success in improving (not eliminating) the aches and pain. Now my doctor wants to wean me off and I don't want to be off of it.

February 20, 2015 12:28 PM

Review by Mary Purvis (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Osteoarthritis: Relieve the pain in the joints in my wrists and hands, it was debilitating before my doctor put me on Cymbalta.

February 19, 2015 11:34 PM

Review by Mitman:

For Fibromyalgia: Was on Lyrica for peripheral neuropathy and fibromyalgia. However, symptoms remained intense and quality of life was severely compromised. In comparison, within days of switching to 90mg Cymbalta daily, symptoms dramatically improved with little side effects.

February 17, 2015 4:01 PM

Review by Lukins:

For Depression: Loved this medication when I first started taking it. I started taking to get through depression and my Father was dying of cancer. Thought it was the best medicine ever until I gained 50lbs within 5 months and the effect of the medication started to wear off. What was worse was the effects of getting off this medicine, vertigo for a month with migraine headache and what I call brain buzz for a month straight, that was tough perhaps worse than having depression. I wouldn't have taken it had I read the reviews first.

February 11, 2015 10:40 PM

Review by jesssikarmaa:

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: I was originally put on Cymbalta for depression, I was told to take it during the day which I did. When I took the Cymbalta during the day it made me incredibly sleepy to the point I could NOT stay awake so I discontinued it's use. Fast forward a few years and I started experiencing HORRIBLE Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. Doctor put me on Cymbalta to try and treat the pain. This time I took it before bed. I didn't notice any sleepiness during the day, and my nerve pain got better, and eventually was completely gone. After a year of use and almost no pain at all, I started having some "break through pain". Even though I am having "break through pain" after a year, the Cymbalta still makes life 100x better and I and grateful to have it!

February 10, 2015 2:03 AM

Review by PTSD Paul (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: After following multiple combat tours I damaged my rotator cuff on my last tour and was exposed to close impact of mortar/ rocket impacts. Upon my return home, I was diagnosed with minor bruising on my brain, &torn rotator cuff. Later tests found pulmonary embolisms requiring u hospitalization & lead to a botched lumbar surgery & lumbar fusion failure. Leaving me in constant pain. The pain aggregated PTSD, after trying multiple depression meds, Cymbalta 60mg twice a day helped control the depression. However, chronic pain still required pain meds. Prior to the Cymbalta, my depression continued even with pain medications. Once adding Cymbalta (after taking it for weeks), my depression was manageable. Diazepam as needed helps w/ panic attack

February 4, 2015 2:37 AM

Review by Mm uneasy:

For Anxiety: Took it for 6 months and it got me through the worst of my symptoms

February 2, 2015 10:37 PM

Review by Jenn Claus (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Chronic Pain: I was placed on Cymbalta for chronic pain as a result from injuries sustained in a head on car accident right before my 19th birthday that also caused 2 very rare recessive gene's to activate (hemiplegic migraines (neurological migraines) and Raynauds disease (circulation disorder) in my lower leg's and feet). At first the pain control was unbelievable. However, 2-3 months into my treatment I began having psychological repercussions where I felt like all my emotions were trapped inside my head. Although I felt angry, sad, happy, etc, I was unable to exhibit those emotions. Cymbalta was discontinued. My head injury was suspected to be the issue as to why I had the adverse reactions I did because my brain didn't function or process normally.

January 30, 2015 1:42 AM