User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Insomnia

"I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 and a half years since I was 12 (now 15), due to sleeping problems. I started on 10mg doses every night for the first couple of months but that didn't work so the doctors gradually increased me up to 50 mg (current dosage). They started working for a couple of months however they no longer work but I have never had any side affects. Now I get little sleep and am often feeling sick due to lack of sleep and often can no longer concentrate at school. Hope this doesn't happen to you at work."

Liberty H August 19, 2015

Endep (amitriptyline): "I take Endep for depression. If I take it in the evening or at night I cannot sleep at all; just toss and turn all night. Therefore, I only take it in the morning."

rlltrash (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

"I am in my late 60's. I have been having awful nights for about a year now, waking frequently with vivid and disturbing dreams that stay with me all day. Doctor prescribed 10mg of Amitriptyline and after just two nights the difference is unbelievable. Last night I slept dreamlessly (well I wasn't aware of any) for 10 hours, only waking once for the toilet. I feel fine today, although a bit "dopey" for the first hour. Only time will tell if this will last. Does anyone know if it is a drug that can develop dependency and increasing doses?"

captain slocum (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2015

"This med has let me finally get a good nights sleep.I'm taking 50 mg every night.It's been a long road for me I've multi-fractured all 12 of my thoracic vertebrae and ripped out a plate in my left arm (from a previous car accident)and had a total left shoulder replacement because I had a seizure in my sleep.The pain meds I'm on know are the 100 mcg fentanyl patch,and dillauded along with Keppra ,vimpat,klonopin and celexa.With all those meds I had a hard time trying to sleep now I don't."

Beakmaster July 13, 2015

"My family has a history of sleeping issues, (insomnia, hyper insomnia, narcolepsy) so it was no surprise when I started to see the signs, we went to the doctors and they gave me this and my words it was AMAZING. I loved, and still love getting sleep ."

Tired Teenager (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2015

"I had a very hard time sleeping. Most of the time I would stay up till 5 or 6 in the morning. I tried this pill and oh boy did it work. I love the feeling of being sleepy when I take these because I don't really know what that feels like anymore since I can never sleep. I am only on 20mg but I vary from 20mg to 40mg. I do not feel like they are addictive but I do enjoy how they put me right to sleep. They are great pills if you have trouble sleeping."

Renee205 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2015

"For years I couldn't sleep properly, i could get to sleep most nights but woke every 2-3hours or to any slight noise. It all caught up with me & I was an anxious sleep deprived freak who was on prozac. I went to a new Dr about constant migraines & he started me on amitriptyline 75mg, the first few days I felt so weird but after a week or so it kicked in. My migraines stopped, my anxiety was so much better & a strange side effect was that I could finally sleep through a whole night! I am so grateful this drug is around, I am no longer a sleep deprived freak :D good for my depression too mixed with 40mg prozac. YaY Endep"

wilsal June 28, 2015

"I'm on 200mg and it has completely cured my insomnia and helped my chronic back pain. Non addictive and regardless of other posts, you do not build tolerance to this drug. I can't understand doctors who prescribe addictive, dangerous sleeping drugs over this!"

never sleeps (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 24, 2015

"Started this med 2 wks ago: 25mg oral at night for trouble sleeping. It takes about 3-4 hours before I feel tired and then feel totally drugged in the morning, similar to trazadone side effects. Tried taking it 3 hours before bed and it worked better but only stayed asleep about 2 hours at night then still drugged in the morning."

immune? (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015

"I have had sleeping issues since a teenager and was finally diagnosed with Childhood Onset Insomnia. At times less than 1 hour total sleep a day for 3-4 days in a row. At the age of 42 my Dr prescribed Elavil (Amitriptlyne) and it changed my life. Its really cheap about $30 CDN per month, doesn't store in your fat cells and is non addictive. I take 50mg at around 9pm, fall asleep around 11 and get a great sleep straight through until 6-7am. No grogginess, some slight dry mouth. For me, it doesn't make me drowzy but it does help me stay asleep which was my problem- waking regularly through the night. Good, luck, hope it works for you as well as it has for me!"

Amnesiac (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 3, 2015

"After trying many different anti-depressants and sleep aids with little to no results, my doctor put me on 75mg of Amitriptyline for severe postpartum depression and anxiety with insomnia. This was the miracle I needed. I sleep really well now am back to my happy,healthy self. I have dry mouth as a side effect, but I have learned to chew gum and use biotene at bed time. This regimen has made that one side effect tolerable and I don't mind it, considering what this medicine has done for me. I workout regularly and watch what I eat so I have not experienced any weight gain."

Trisha V. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2015

"For me, this is/was a very effective hypnotic. It literally saved my life when I had lost my ability to sleep due to a damaged CNS. I started off at 25 mgs per night and eventually increased my dosage up to 50 mgs per night. Over time I was able to cut my dosage down to ~6 1/4 mgs per night before moving on to a more desirable hypnotic. The biggest down side is its anticholinergic effects...nothing like waking up with a mouth full of sand."

Am-I-tripping-Yet (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

"I tried many of them. Amitriptyline worked the best. I only took up to 20mg."

tricyclics April 11, 2015

"Very effective in treating chronic insomnia with very few, minor side effects!"

Fat Dave (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

"I stopped sleeping totally at some point in my life and after a lot of struggle my doctor put me on amitriptyline. I hated the thought of being on a psychotic drug but with my body clearly denying me sleep, I had no choice. Amitriptyline felt like a miracle. My first night, I slept a deep volume of dreamless sleep. My eyes wouldn't even open. Aside from having a dry mouth and having a really irritating taste in my mouth, it was perfect. Four years down the line, I am still on amitriptyline. The 50mg dosage works well for me. I have increased dosage and reduced it over the years but 50mg has remained my regular dose"

sharer April 6, 2015

"Currently at 200mg to control insomnia and migraines. Only small side effect is occasional slight dizziness. Other than that, now that I am on correct dosage, minimal side effects and complete relief from issues.. as an aside, was unable to get refill for a week once and experienced extreme, worsening withdrawal symptoms: constant, mild headaches. Diarrhea. Vomiting. Debilitating nausea, dizziness and vertigo. Runny nose. Complete loss of appetite. Feeling dehydrated. Constant panic attacks: uncontrollable anxiety, racing heart, profuse sweating and feeling dehydrated and like I'm gasping for air. I've had remarkable success with the drug, but I caution anyone considering stopping to confer w their dr and wean off rather than cold turkey."

manda a. March 16, 2015

"I had been on this medication in the past and discontinued usage after I got pregnant. I started back a few months ago, not realizing what the side effects were. I started gaining weight incredibly fast with no change to my diet and exercise and wasn't going to the bathroom unless I used a laxative. I was stumped and depressed about it up until yesterday when I spoke with a GI doctor. FINALLY I had an answer only after many visits to my family doctor and many co-payments which added up quickly (with no solution). Needless to say, I am so relieved to finally know what is going on with me... 20 lbs later but I see the light at the end of tunnel. Hope this helps."

Boo Bah March 13, 2015

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Works wonderful for insomnia. Just the side effects are terrible. Headaches, drowsiness and WEIGHT GAIN!"

Tinkerbell007 March 2, 2015

"Nothing I tried help me at all. But when I went to my doctor for sleeplessness and bad headaches with migraines. I was given Amitriptyline 75mg before bed. I sleep so soundly now. This stuff was a God send to me."

dawnfaye February 25, 2015

"I still woke up after 3 hrs sleep but was able or seemed to fall back to sleep as it felt more like a daydream sleep..I still feel the need for a deep sleep ..What's strange is after falling back to sleep it seemed like 30 minutes would pass by and I never fell back to sleep when 4 hrs actually passed by..."

Davex2 February 22, 2015

"I have taken over the counter sleep aid for 7 years and the past year they stopped working for me and I would fall asleep but would wake up several times a night and it would take me 2-3 hours to go back to sleep so I asked my doctor for something better and she started me on this medicine 25mg a night at bedtime for sleep and pain and I've been taking it for 2 weeks now and I sleep so good and if I wake up I go right back to sleep and I wake up in the morning with no pain and feeling refreshed."

shayla7902 (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2015

Endep (amitriptyline): "I have been taking Endep 10 for approx 3 weeks and have I used a variety of sleeping meds. Endep is the best by far. I take it 3 hours prior to sleep and have no problems getting to sleep and if I do wake during the night I go back to sleep straight away. It can make me a little drowsy in the morning but nothing like other meds."

Jandal February 2, 2015

"I started on 50mg but am now up to 75mg and even with that I sometimes still wake up. It was a good medicine at first. Then I have found my body getting used to it, I could nearly go to work for a day after 50mg. I am guessing soon I will be on 100 or 125mg. Wait and see."

Harrow (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2015

"I am on 50 mg at night for pain and sleep. I sleep so well that I am sleeping 16-18 hours. I sleep all night then pretty much all the next day. I can't seem to stay awake!!!"

DSG1960 January 15, 2015

"Better than over the counter meds. I take 25 mg. Still wake up through the night a few times but generally go back to sleep in 10-15 minutes."

farmerboy1 December 17, 2014