Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Insomnia

Review by tricyclics:

I tried many of them. Amitriptyline worked the best. I only took up to 20mg.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2015 3:21 AM

Review by Fat Dave (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Very effective in treating chronic insomnia with very few, minor side effects!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2015 4:18 PM

Review by Tinkerbell007:

Elavil (amitriptyline): Works wonderful for insomnia. Just the side effects are terrible. Headaches, drowsiness and WEIGHT GAIN!

March 2, 2015 2:20 AM

Review by dawnfaye:

Nothing I tried help me at all. But when I went to my doctor for sleeplessness and bad headaches with migraines. I was given Amitriptyline 75mg before bed. I sleep so soundly now. This stuff was a God send to me.

February 25, 2015 7:35 PM

Review by Davex2:

I still woke up after 3 hrs sleep but was able or seemed to fall back to sleep as it felt more like a daydream sleep..I still feel the need for a deep sleep ..What's strange is after falling back to sleep it seemed like 30 minutes would pass by and I never fell back to sleep when 4 hrs actually passed by...

February 22, 2015 7:50 AM

Review by shayla7902 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have taken over the counter sleep aid for 7 years and the past year they stopped working for me and I would fall asleep but would wake up several times a night and it would take me 2-3 hours to go back to sleep so I asked my doctor for something better and she started me on this medicine 25mg a night at bedtime for sleep and pain and I've been taking it for 2 weeks now and I sleep so good and if I wake up I go right back to sleep and I wake up in the morning with no pain and feeling refreshed.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2015 9:16 PM

Review by Jandal:

Endep (amitriptyline): I have been taking Endep 10 for approx 3 weeks and have I used a variety of sleeping meds. Endep is the best by far. I take it 3 hours prior to sleep and have no problems getting to sleep and if I do wake during the night I go back to sleep straight away. It can make me a little drowsy in the morning but nothing like other meds.

February 2, 2015 7:53 PM

Review by Harrow (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started on 50mg but am now up to 75mg and even with that I sometimes still wake up. It was a good medicine at first. Then I have found my body getting used to it, I could nearly go to work for a day after 50mg. I am guessing soon I will be on 100 or 125mg. Wait and see.

January 25, 2015 7:24 AM

Review by DSG1960:

I am on 50 mg at night for pain and sleep. I sleep so well that I am sleeping 16-18 hours. I sleep all night then pretty much all the next day. I can't seem to stay awake!!!

January 15, 2015 6:16 PM

Review by farmerboy1:

Better than over the counter meds. I take 25 mg. Still wake up through the night a few times but generally go back to sleep in 10-15 minutes.

December 17, 2014 10:21 AM

Review by Colleendo:

I have been on 10 mg. Amitriptyline... for a month and am really getting a good night sleep. I must say the first weeks, I was really tired and and exhausted . After 3 weeks my body adjusted quite well. I have a low tolerance to medication so 10 mg. Is good for now.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2014 8:26 AM

I have taken this medication during certain times in my life due to events and change of time zones for long periods of time when my sleep pattern is broken. It is great. I have been able to stay at 25 mg without increase for more than a year and work myself off when fully recovered. Be prepared to wait for it to kick in up to 2 weeks after starting it. It needs to fully get into your system. Everyones body is different. Recently I tried zolpidem for a more immediate sleep and found I could only get 4 hours a night. I read about the addiction of it and possible rebound insomnia after weaning yourself off. I am going back to that old model medicine, Amitriiptyline. It is great and I get back to a 7-8 hour sleep pattern.

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2014 12:08 PM

Review by ManicCatAli (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Elavil (amitriptyline): Amitriptyline has helped my insomnia by a ten fold. I have issues staying asleep due to my fibromyalgia and anxiety. I sleep all night for once. Unfortunately it has side effects: - No Appetite - Impotence - Daytime Drowsiness - Constipation

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 10:34 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I have tried numerous sleep aids, from natural, over the counter, to prescribed, and this one by far works the best for me. I was prescribed 25mg to take at bed. It does help me fall asleep a little faster, because it helps my brain "shut off", and it definitely helps me sleep better. I still wake up through out the night, but not as much, and falling back asleep is a lot easier. It does make me feel slightly groggy in the morning, and I am having slight dry mouth. The benefit outweighs the side effects for sure. I've tried Trazodone, and that didn't help at all, and experienced the rare side effect of painful erection...that was awful.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2014 9:15 AM

Review by dezeag5069 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I currently take 25mg and sleep just fine. Remember that lower dosages 25-50mg are for insomnia, the more you take you move into the antidepressant effects and become less effective for sleep. So 300mg isn't going to help your insomnia and may increase it.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 6:20 AM

At first it helped a little. Didn't help me fall to sleep but I woke up less. The effects were short lived 9 months later and I am up to 300 MG experiencing 2-6 hours of broken sleep per night.

June 6, 2014 2:18 AM

Review by Nelly W (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have tried many OTC sleep aids, to no avail. My doctor started me out at a 10mg dose, so my body would have time to adjust before we started increasing the dosage. I think that this was a good tactic because when I first started out on this medication, I felt zombie-like the following day. He gradually increased the dosage on weekends until a month and a half later I started taking 75mg. I get a full 8 hours sleep with my new 75mg dosage, however I was waking in the middle of the night with the smaller dosages. I'm happy with this medication, and no longer experience the post-sleep-zombification. I think however it deserves only an 8 because it takes me 6 hours after taking it to feel sleepy enough.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by saved my life (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This not only cured my chronic insomnia but it cured me of my night time anxiety and panics as well as daytime anxiety. I take 50mg at bedtime. You do not feel drowsy yet you fall asleep immediately and if you wake up at night you fall back asleep rather easily, my life has changed! I tried Celexa and mirtazipine but my system could not tolerate it. Mirtazipine would give me a dreamless sleep.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2014 8:47 AM

Review by SJBKL (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had steadily got worse over a matter of years with sleeping to the point where I had three days with no sleep, even sleeping pills would not knock me out. I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia and things got worse. I now take amitriptyline 50mg before bed and two tablets during the day of Lyrica 25mg each tablet. To begin with it didn't seem to be working and I was so thirsty and extremely tired but that gets totally better after a few weeks. My anxiety has disappeared and my sleeping is 99%/100% better. I would recommend these two tablets without a doubt. They have saved me.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2014 5:59 AM

Review by Mr Mal:

Endep (amitriptyline): I took Endep 25 for headaches. I felt drowsy even the next day. So I went to Endep 10. I need to to take it about 2 hours before sleep. Side effect - ear noise which is going on for over 1 week now after 1 tablet. Going to stop it for a while due to side effect.

March 21, 2014 6:19 AM

Review by Sleeping again:

I was just put on 50 mg of amitriptyline for extreme insomnia, anxiety, and depression. I have suffered from insomnia my entire life and my job is very stressful as a nurse working rotating shift at a hospital. I would stay up for 3 days at a time while working crazy 12 hour back to back shifts. I was at my wit's end, so exhausted, delirious, and beyond stressed. I have tried so many different medicines to help with sleep and anxiety. None have even come anywhere as close as Amitriptyline has, to giving me good sleep. I had lost hope that I would ever be able to sleep good again. Amitriptyline has SAVED me. I can fall asleep easily, I don't wake up every hour, and I sleep like a BABY! I can now function at work again. This medicine saved me.

284 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2014 3:44 AM

Review by Nick77:

I have been suffering with sleepless nights for over 8 years. Nothing seemed to work. Since I have been prescribed a small dosage of amitryptiline my sleep has very much improved. I fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. I actually look forward to going to bed now.

174 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by Sandiandi1945:

I have suffered from migraines most of my life and tried many preventive meds that did not work.I had to get a new doctor and he started me on Elavil 50 mg at bedtime.Not only did it cut down on the frequency and severity of the headaches now I sleep like a baby and that has cut now 100% on morning migraines.It is a God send.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2014 7:24 PM

Review by DagonMom (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on quite a few different sleep meds because of my head injury. I now have "Alpha Wave Intrusion", so my brain won't shut down. Been this way for 16 years now. Elival is the only Med that is able to get me to sleep and let me fall me back to sleep if I wake up. I'm on 200mg and right now it seems to be okak. In a few months I'll probably have to adjust, but that's okak, I can deal with that. This is definitely an excellent choice for me.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2013 10:36 PM

Review by wa9mrn:

Elavil (amitriptyline): Helped me sleep through the night with no side effects.

136 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2013 11:33 AM