Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 75 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Insomnia

Review by dezeag5069 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I currently take 25mg and sleep just fine. Remember that lower dosages 25-50mg are for insomnia, the more you take you move into the antidepressant effects and become less effective for sleep. So 300mg isn't going to help your insomnia and may increase it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 8, 2014 6:20 AM

At first it helped a little. Didn't help me fall to sleep but I woke up less. The effects were short lived 9 months later and I am up to 300 MG experiencing 2-6 hours of broken sleep per night.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2014 2:18 AM

Review by Nelly W (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have tried many OTC sleep aids, to no avail. My doctor started me out at a 10mg dose, so my body would have time to adjust before we started increasing the dosage. I think that this was a good tactic because when I first started out on this medication, I felt zombie-like the following day. He gradually increased the dosage on weekends until a month and a half later I started taking 75mg. I get a full 8 hours sleep with my new 75mg dosage, however I was waking in the middle of the night with the smaller dosages. I'm happy with this medication, and no longer experience the post-sleep-zombification. I think however it deserves only an 8 because it takes me 6 hours after taking it to feel sleepy enough.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by saved my life (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This not only cured my chronic insomnia but it cured me of my night time anxiety and panics as well as daytime anxiety. I take 50mg at bedtime. You do not feel drowsy yet you fall asleep immediately and if you wake up at night you fall back asleep rather easily, my life has changed! I tried Celexa and mirtazipine but my system could not tolerate it. Mirtazipine would give me a dreamless sleep.

April 6, 2014 8:47 AM

Review by SJBKL (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had steadily got worse over a matter of years with sleeping to the point where I had three days with no sleep, even sleeping pills would not knock me out. I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia and things got worse. I now take amitriptyline 50mg before bed and two tablets during the day of Lyrica 25mg each tablet. To begin with it didn't seem to be working and I was so thirsty and extremely tired but that gets totally better after a few weeks. My anxiety has disappeared and my sleeping is 99%/100% better. I would recommend these two tablets without a doubt. They have saved me.

March 31, 2014 5:59 AM

Review by Mr Mal:

Endep (amitriptyline): I took Endep 25 for headaches. I felt drowsy even the next day. So I went to Endep 10. I need to to take it about 2 hours before sleep. Side effect - ear noise which is going on for over 1 week now after 1 tablet. Going to stop it for a while due to side effect.

March 21, 2014 6:19 AM

Review by Sleeping again:

I was just put on 50 mg of amitriptyline for extreme insomnia, anxiety, and depression. I have suffered from insomnia my entire life and my job is very stressful as a nurse working rotating shift at a hospital. I would stay up for 3 days at a time while working crazy 12 hour back to back shifts. I was at my wit's end, so exhausted, delirious, and beyond stressed. I have tried so many different medicines to help with sleep and anxiety. None have even come anywhere as close as Amitriptyline has, to giving me good sleep. I had lost hope that I would ever be able to sleep good again. Amitriptyline has SAVED me. I can fall asleep easily, I don't wake up every hour, and I sleep like a BABY! I can now function at work again. This medicine saved me.

159 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2014 3:44 AM

Review by Nick77:

I have been suffering with sleepless nights for over 8 years. Nothing seemed to work. Since I have been prescribed a small dosage of amitryptiline my sleep has very much improved. I fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. I actually look forward to going to bed now.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by Sandiandi1945:

I have suffered from migraines most of my life and tried many preventive meds that did not work.I had to get a new doctor and he started me on Elavil 50 mg at bedtime.Not only did it cut down on the frequency and severity of the headaches now I sleep like a baby and that has cut now 100% on morning migraines.It is a God send.

January 14, 2014 7:24 PM

Review by DagonMom (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on quite a few different sleep meds because of my head injury. I now have "Alpha Wave Intrusion", so my brain won't shut down. Been this way for 16 years now. Elival is the only Med that is able to get me to sleep and let me fall me back to sleep if I wake up. I'm on 200mg and right now it seems to be okak. In a few months I'll probably have to adjust, but that's okak, I can deal with that. This is definitely an excellent choice for me.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 25, 2013 10:36 PM

Review by wa9mrn:

Elavil (amitriptyline): Helped me sleep through the night with no side effects.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2013 11:33 AM

Review by Much Happier (taken for less than 1 month):

I've only been on Elavil for a couple weeks at 10mg but I have to say it has been a VERY positive experience thus far. I have been in a bad loop by not sleeping well and then my days were going downhill as well. Now if I do wake up in the middle of the night I seem to be able to just roll over and get back to sleep. This versus waking up in full panic mode and then laying there with my heart and mind racing. I'm optimistic it will continue to work. I'm a 51 year old male.

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2013 9:21 AM

Review by Oldhat86 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I take 10mg 11 hours before I want to wake up. It helps me sleep through the night. I've always been a light sleeper. I do not have problems falling to sleep, but in the last five or six years I wake up about every hour or so, once I've been asleep more than 2-3 hours. I was tired throughout the day. This really helps me stay asleep through the night. Not always, but so much better than before. I'm much more alert during the day. I'm taking a very low dose, and it is not very expensive. My doctor noticed my symptoms and recommended I try this, as it is non-narcotic, non-addicting and relatively inexpensive. I'm in my mid 50s, and I thought I was just going to have to live with sleepless nights.

186 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2013 9:26 PM

Review by KAT2603 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline): I have really, really bad insomnia. I'm up for 3 -4 days straight and after my doctor prescribed me a combination of zopiclone and amitriptyline I'm able to sleep 4-5 hours but your body can become tolerant after a while meaning you may have to increase your dosage. I've had to do this but what I've started to do is try to keep really busy throughout the day and IF needed at night I'll take a smaller dose than prescribed to me or try to go a few days without it then take my regular dose.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2013 3:37 PM

Review by sleepless74:

I've started on 25mg and steadily increased. Now I'm taking 200mg every night! It does nothing for my pain, or anxiety and barely touches my insomnia. I wake up 3-4 times every night with night terrors. I think next Drs. appointment she will increase my dosage even more. I have extreme post traumatic stress disorder and have several fractures in my spine. All I know is my dosage is already higher than most of the comments I've read. And my wife is on an even higher dose than me.

June 18, 2013 9:46 PM

Review by TheyReallyWorked:

I have to say this medicine was a lifesaver for me, and I do not use the term lightly. Before I took these tablets I had got to the point where I thought NOTHING could help me and every sleepless night was a living hell. These tablets finally allowed me to sleep but also had a true restorative effect on my depleted brain which carried over to the next day. I know there are side effects, especially on a higher dose, but these side effects were worth it for the benefits they gave me. I know it's hard but amitriptyline can give you a crutch to lean on and please don't dismiss them. If they can help me, and I was really at the end of the line, they can help somebody else.

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2013 5:39 PM

Review by Phinter (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Amitriptyline HCL 25 mg at bedtime for less than one week and wake up groggy for about 20 minutes. I fall asleep but will wake up at least twice during the night but I will fall back to sleep. And talk about the vivid and wild dreams which I have never experienced before! I think I am very sensitive to this type of medicine.

May 13, 2013 5:48 PM

Review by CP343434:

Elavil (amitriptyline): I was put on Elavil to treat sleep deprivation and for pain relief. Took it for four days. It did not help with the pain and it kept me up instead of putting me to sleep. For the first two days I slept for maybe 3 hours total (slept for one hour, woke up for about an hour, fell asleep for an hour, up again, etc.) then the last two days I went for two days straight with no sleep. Very frustrating.

March 9, 2013 8:16 AM

Review by GrannyBecs (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I had insomnia due to hot flashes which began 8 years ago. My blessed Dr. prescribed 25 mg amitriptyline a night. I no longer wake up repeatedly due to my "internal combustion". Life is normal again.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2013 9:52 AM

Review by oscarl:

I had an operation 8 weeks ago which has upset my sleeping. I was given zopiclone for 2 weeks which did make me sleep but no more than 4 hrs per night. Since last Friday I am on 50mg of amitriptyline and the first night I slept but felt like a zombie the next morning - couldn't feel my shins or feet and very spaced out. This morning, 6 days since I started amitriptyline, I haven't slept and when I say that I mean that - not a wink of sleep in the last 3 night's. I was passing out yesterday with exhaustion. They have reduced my dose to 35 and I will persist but at this present time it hasn't helped me at all, just made me worse. I am hoping it will come good because the reviews are inspiring.

January 4, 2013 12:58 AM

Took it for depression, anxiety and insomnia. It has taken just under 2 months at 75mg daily to kick in properly, but when it did, I found it to be a God send! I've been taking it for 4 months now, and cannot remember last time I felt anxious, and my sleep is best its ever been. Side effects are dissapearing slowly, and I feel very happy, and look forward to the future again. Highly recommend.

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2012 1:53 AM

Review by sleep deprived:

At first amitriptyline helped me sleep and for the first two nights I slept thoroughly. Now I'm having the opposite effect and it gives me insomnia as most SSRI's do. Now if I take even 10 mg it is almost impossible to sleep that night and difficult to sleep for the next 3 days. It's been 3 or 4 days since I've taken it and I still feel like it's interfering with my sleep. If you're sensitive to SSRI's do not take this for insomnia.

March 24, 2012 11:24 AM

Elavil (amitriptyline): Worked wonders for sleep but I'm constantly hungry. I exercise 3 times per week to help keep the weight off. If weight is an issue this might not be the medicine for you.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2012 1:07 PM

I have difficulty falling asleep, and staying asleep. I took 50-100 mg nightly. It did not help me get to sleep any earlier than 4-6am, and when I finally would go to sleep, I would sleep for 10 hours. Totally not useful when I get up for work at 7am! Very vivid enjoyable dreams though.

January 5, 2012 2:42 AM

Review by Norton self-prongs:

I have Parkinson's, which often has insomnia as a symptom. Sometimes I could not get any sleep at all for three or four nights. True. I tried Zopiclone which gave me four hours sleep at doses of 7.5mg, but I felt yucky next day. My GP recommended 30mg of amitriptyline per night which generally gives me five hours sleep and I feel OK the next day. This is a wonderful medicine which has improved my life.

December 6, 2011 5:05 PM