User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Insomnia

"I've been on 20 mg of amitriptyline at bedtime for insomnia for 6 years now. I had been on valium after a bout with acute stress disorder, but found it highly addictive and found myself going to my shrink not for therapy, but just to get my RX renewed. I knew then that I had to get off the valium. My GP suggested the amitriptyline, and it is great. No side effects, and it LETS me sleep, it doesn't MAKE me sleep. It also lets me get back to sleep if I have to get up at night to use the bathroom. My doc told me to start with 10 mg and move up by 10 mg increments until I found a dose that worked but that didn't leave me hung over the next day. 10 mg worked. 30 mg put me in a fog til noon the next day. 20 mg has been perfect!"

Gaitero (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2016

"I'm 19 and have been taking this medicine for insomnia since I was 8 or 9 years old (It's been so long that I can't recall exactly when I started). It is the only thing that can put me to sleep as my insomnia is so bad that if I don't take amitriptyline, I will be up for days. The only issue is that it does make me very groggy in the morning, but that could just be due to the fact that I am a teenager."

igwend (taken for 10 years or more) January 11, 2016

"I've been taking 50mg for 5 yrs and its brilliant. It takes about two hrs to start taking effect and then I drift off easily to a deep sleep. I was given this for insomnia. I have had no side effects at all and my emotional state is normal. I cry at a sad movie and laugh at a funny one. This tablet has literally changed my life for the better."

Faffa December 13, 2015

"I got prescribed with one 10mg tablet of amitriptyline to take everynight towards 9PM, though as it is non-addictive, my Doctor said I could play around with taking 2-3 tablets if I'm stressed -- I have however found one to be largely sufficient, at least for me. Saying it's has been a wonder drug for me would be an understatement: I will take it and within 30 minutes to 2 hours, I will drift off into a deep, albeit pleasant sleep, but it gets better: I do not feel groggy when waking and wake up naturally at a time that's convenient for me. I have never been more productive in my whole life. You might get some unusual sensations in your head the first few days, but they aren't bothersome in the slightest."

NicknameTaken November 25, 2015

"I hate this medicine. It is terrible. I almost feel like it wakes me up when I take it! It's the worst sleep medicine I have ever taken!"

Cristylc32 November 20, 2015

"I've been taking Amitriptyline 10mg for about 2 weeks now. I was given Amitriptyline for insomnia, but it actually made it worse. I took it at 6pm, and would feel it kick in around 10pm. But it made me toss and turn and shaky, jittery, even with Klonopin. So I just switched to taking it in the morning. I feel better this way by nighttime. I still take a small dose of Klonopin, but feel more relaxed. I'm also taking it for anxiety, chest tightness with back pain, and menstrual migraines. So far haven't noticed much of a difference."

sak9210 November 12, 2015

"Was prescribed 50mg to take at bedtime for my ringing in the ears (tinnitus from the sirens). This stuff absolutely did not work."

6ffighter9 (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2015

"I was recently in a bad car accident, and I haven't slept in 2 days. I feel like this pill keeps me awake. Does not work for me. I hate it"

Alliimariie (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2015

"I take 50mg endep since i was 13 ive been taking these my ex nearly overdoesed being stupid on them i take 2 to 4 a night and i get so much help i sleep better besides broken sleep and heebbie jeebbies (jount ache) 10% percent of the time i wouldnt be alive if it was for endep. I have no gone fried or stupid from this pill highly recommend this."

backwheeladdict October 30, 2015

"I have only taken this drug for 2 nights at a dosage of 10 MG. It has not improved my sleep as of yet. I have just experienced some restless leg syndrome."

multnap October 25, 2015

"Absolutely the worst medicine I have ever been on. I've been on antidepressants for years and they all suppressed my emotions. I was on trazodone for depression/chronic insomnia but unfortunately the medicine quit working for me so my doctor prescribed me amitriptyline 25mg and when I tell you every single horrible emotion was brought forward, I'm not even lying. Everyone around me noticed a difference and I felt trapped but was expressing externally. I had a psychotic break on this medication however I was not suocidal. If I had the power to take this medicine off the market, I'm sorry I would. The range of emotions I had was sadness to anger to agitation and it was on a repeat cycle and I couldn't control it no matter how much I wanted to"

Ashleeyv October 25, 2015

"I find this good as a sleep aid but it does leave me feeling dopey in morning for a while & also kills sexual function!"

missmouse1955 September 30, 2015

"I give it an 8 or 10.....the other end would be a 1/10 :) DO NOT take this during your waking hours...Yeesh This was prescribed for pain related to Neuropathy. I was told to take one before sleep and I would be good to go. Suffice to say, I have no idea if I hurt in my sleep because THIS PILL is the proverbial sledge hammer. I have an odd metabolism. I take one AROUND 4pm and I start yawning by 9....and do not wake for a MINIMUM of 12 hours. SO! If you need sleep...this will do it. If you need pain relief at night...well, I suppose if you are unconscious, that works as well :) Sometimes I wake with back pain from having to pee so bad. if your bladder is weak, you may have "other" issues"

Gibberish September 28, 2015

"This medicine helps me lots. I had a lot of stress in my life and if it wasn't for amitript I don't think I would be here now ."

bevanne September 11, 2015

"I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 and a half years since I was 12 (now 15), due to sleeping problems. I started on 10mg doses every night for the first couple of months but that didn't work so the doctors gradually increased me up to 50 mg (current dosage). They started working for a couple of months however they no longer work but I have never had any side affects. Now I get little sleep and am often feeling sick due to lack of sleep and often can no longer concentrate at school. Hope this doesn't happen to you at work."

Liberty H August 19, 2015

Endep (amitriptyline): "I take Endep for depression. If I take it in the evening or at night I cannot sleep at all; just toss and turn all night. Therefore, I only take it in the morning."

rlltrash (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

"I am in my late 60's. I have been having awful nights for about a year now, waking frequently with vivid and disturbing dreams that stay with me all day. Doctor prescribed 10mg of Amitriptyline and after just two nights the difference is unbelievable. Last night I slept dreamlessly (well I wasn't aware of any) for 10 hours, only waking once for the toilet. I feel fine today, although a bit "dopey" for the first hour. Only time will tell if this will last. Does anyone know if it is a drug that can develop dependency and increasing doses?"

captain slocum (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2015

"This med has let me finally get a good nights sleep.I'm taking 50 mg every night.It's been a long road for me I've multi-fractured all 12 of my thoracic vertebrae and ripped out a plate in my left arm (from a previous car accident)and had a total left shoulder replacement because I had a seizure in my sleep.The pain meds I'm on know are the 100 mcg fentanyl patch,and dillauded along with Keppra ,vimpat,klonopin and celexa.With all those meds I had a hard time trying to sleep now I don't."

Beakmaster July 13, 2015

"My family has a history of sleeping issues, (insomnia, hyper insomnia, narcolepsy) so it was no surprise when I started to see the signs, we went to the doctors and they gave me this and my words it was AMAZING. I loved, and still love getting sleep ."

Tired Teenager (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2015

"I had a very hard time sleeping. Most of the time I would stay up till 5 or 6 in the morning. I tried this pill and oh boy did it work. I love the feeling of being sleepy when I take these because I don't really know what that feels like anymore since I can never sleep. I am only on 20mg but I vary from 20mg to 40mg. I do not feel like they are addictive but I do enjoy how they put me right to sleep. They are great pills if you have trouble sleeping."

Renee205 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2015

"For years I couldn't sleep properly, i could get to sleep most nights but woke every 2-3hours or to any slight noise. It all caught up with me & I was an anxious sleep deprived freak who was on prozac. I went to a new Dr about constant migraines & he started me on amitriptyline 75mg, the first few days I felt so weird but after a week or so it kicked in. My migraines stopped, my anxiety was so much better & a strange side effect was that I could finally sleep through a whole night! I am so grateful this drug is around, I am no longer a sleep deprived freak :D good for my depression too mixed with 40mg prozac. YaY Endep"

wilsal June 28, 2015

"I'm on 200mg and it has completely cured my insomnia and helped my chronic back pain. Non addictive and regardless of other posts, you do not build tolerance to this drug. I can't understand doctors who prescribe addictive, dangerous sleeping drugs over this!"

never sleeps (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 24, 2015

"Started this med 2 wks ago: 25mg oral at night for trouble sleeping. It takes about 3-4 hours before I feel tired and then feel totally drugged in the morning, similar to trazadone side effects. Tried taking it 3 hours before bed and it worked better but only stayed asleep about 2 hours at night then still drugged in the morning."

immune? (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015

"I have had sleeping issues since a teenager and was finally diagnosed with Childhood Onset Insomnia. At times less than 1 hour total sleep a day for 3-4 days in a row. At the age of 42 my Dr prescribed Elavil (Amitriptlyne) and it changed my life. Its really cheap about $30 CDN per month, doesn't store in your fat cells and is non addictive. I take 50mg at around 9pm, fall asleep around 11 and get a great sleep straight through until 6-7am. No grogginess, some slight dry mouth. For me, it doesn't make me drowzy but it does help me stay asleep which was my problem- waking regularly through the night. Good, luck, hope it works for you as well as it has for me!"

Amnesiac (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 3, 2015

"After trying many different anti-depressants and sleep aids with little to no results, my doctor put me on 75mg of Amitriptyline for severe postpartum depression and anxiety with insomnia. This was the miracle I needed. I sleep really well now am back to my happy,healthy self. I have dry mouth as a side effect, but I have learned to chew gum and use biotene at bed time. This regimen has made that one side effect tolerable and I don't mind it, considering what this medicine has done for me. I workout regularly and watch what I eat so I have not experienced any weight gain."

Trisha V. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2015