User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Insomnia

"I have been on Ambien for many years and it stopped working for me. My dr. has tried some other meds, but so far nothing seems to work. I've been on Elavil for about a week now and it seems as if I'm taking a sugar pill. It's just not working for me I wish it did work as well for as it has for others."

Mikesntx (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

Endep (amitriptyline): "Been on endep 10mg for 4 weeks .for insomnia. Although it helps me sleep the longer I take it the dopier I get during day. Feel like I am permanently sedated. Like my brain is shrinking and my head is full of cotton wool all day. No motivation to do anything.."

Theg (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

"I been taking this for over 2 years for insomnia, anxiety and mild depression and it changed my life. For the first time in 20 years i sleep like a baby."

kcladyz (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2016

"I was prescribed 50mg and the first time I took it this way WAY too high of a dosage. I felt drowsy for the entire day the next day like I was on drugs. I was prescribed this a few months go and I still have a many pills left because I only take it when I feel like I won't be able to sleep and I cut the pill in half so that it's only 25mg. I usually sleep like a baby but it is really hard to wake up. If I take it on the weekend I end up sleeping about 10 hours. I still feel pretty drowsy with 25mg but it wears off by the middle of the day."

Gabs747 March 9, 2016

"I was prescribed this at a low dose for various sleep problems associated with CFS/ME. Helps tremendously with remaining asleep (used to wake up 4-8 times a night) but basically completely useless aiding someone who has trouble getting to sleep - one of my main problems. Horrific and vivid nightmares frequently occurring since I've been taking it & v. dry mouth. Staying on it as GP very reluctant to give me anything stronger for my sleep unfortunately"

sineadkb (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2016

"Excellent for sleep. Take 10mg at bedtime & sleep extremely well with no groggy feeling in the morning. Love it!! Dry mouth sucks but totally worth it & super cheap!"

Fifi78 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2016

"I was prescribed this for restless leg syndrome which was affecting my sleep. I've now been taking it for 3 years, 10mg initially. It allows me to slip into sleep if taken about 2 hrs before I go to bed. If I do wake it allows me to get back to sleep easily. The initial dry mouth etc soon went and I am delighted with the ongoing ease with which I can sleep."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 28, 2016

"My sleep cycle got disrupted due to stress. Was not happy with ambien or lunestra, I felt like both knocked me out and I would not know if the house was burning down. Take 30mg of elavil. Now I just sleep like a regular person. I can wake up, take a leak, go back to bed, sleep away. I regularly sleep 8 to 10 hours with this, which I never had previously in my lifetime. I do get super sticky tongue due to the dry mouth. However, that is a small price to pay to sleep. I am extremely happy with the medicine. I have been to Europe twice from the west coast with the least amount of jet lag ever. I actually slept on the plane! Works for me."

I can sleep now (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 27, 2016

"I have been on amitrip for a few years now. At first, perhaps for 2 years, my migraines were less and I slept well. Now I'm not sleeping well at all and often take a sleeping pill at 2 to 3 am. I'm on 20mg but cut down to 15mg before Christmas. I was ok for a month then had 3 migraines in 3 weeks. So now I'm back on 20mg but going to start on a course of 400mg ribiflavin hoping that will help the migraines and I can finally give up the amitrip. Don't pay for medication. I'm 70 this year."

steelysteph February 11, 2016

"I've been on 20 mg of amitriptyline at bedtime for insomnia for 6 years now. I had been on valium after a bout with acute stress disorder, but found it highly addictive and found myself going to my shrink not for therapy, but just to get my RX renewed. I knew then that I had to get off the valium. My GP suggested the amitriptyline, and it is great. No side effects, and it LETS me sleep, it doesn't MAKE me sleep. It also lets me get back to sleep if I have to get up at night to use the bathroom. My doc told me to start with 10 mg and move up by 10 mg increments until I found a dose that worked but that didn't leave me hung over the next day. 10 mg worked. 30 mg put me in a fog til noon the next day. 20 mg has been perfect!"

Gaitero (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2016

"I'm 19 and have been taking this medicine for insomnia since I was 8 or 9 years old (It's been so long that I can't recall exactly when I started). It is the only thing that can put me to sleep as my insomnia is so bad that if I don't take amitriptyline, I will be up for days. The only issue is that it does make me very groggy in the morning, but that could just be due to the fact that I am a teenager."

igwend (taken for 10 years or more) January 11, 2016

"I've been taking 50mg for 5 yrs and its brilliant. It takes about two hrs to start taking effect and then I drift off easily to a deep sleep. I was given this for insomnia. I have had no side effects at all and my emotional state is normal. I cry at a sad movie and laugh at a funny one. This tablet has literally changed my life for the better."

Faffa December 13, 2015

"I got prescribed with one 10mg tablet of amitriptyline to take everynight towards 9PM, though as it is non-addictive, my Doctor said I could play around with taking 2-3 tablets if I'm stressed -- I have however found one to be largely sufficient, at least for me. Saying it's has been a wonder drug for me would be an understatement: I will take it and within 30 minutes to 2 hours, I will drift off into a deep, albeit pleasant sleep, but it gets better: I do not feel groggy when waking and wake up naturally at a time that's convenient for me. I have never been more productive in my whole life. You might get some unusual sensations in your head the first few days, but they aren't bothersome in the slightest."

NicknameTaken November 25, 2015

"I hate this medicine. It is terrible. I almost feel like it wakes me up when I take it! It's the worst sleep medicine I have ever taken!"

Cristylc32 November 20, 2015

"I've been taking Amitriptyline 10mg for about 2 weeks now. I was given Amitriptyline for insomnia, but it actually made it worse. I took it at 6pm, and would feel it kick in around 10pm. But it made me toss and turn and shaky, jittery, even with Klonopin. So I just switched to taking it in the morning. I feel better this way by nighttime. I still take a small dose of Klonopin, but feel more relaxed. I'm also taking it for anxiety, chest tightness with back pain, and menstrual migraines. So far haven't noticed much of a difference."

sak9210 November 12, 2015

"Was prescribed 50mg to take at bedtime for my ringing in the ears (tinnitus from the sirens). This stuff absolutely did not work."

6ffighter9 (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2015

"I was recently in a bad car accident, and I haven't slept in 2 days. I feel like this pill keeps me awake. Does not work for me. I hate it"

Alliimariie (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2015

"I take 50mg endep since i was 13 ive been taking these my ex nearly overdoesed being stupid on them i take 2 to 4 a night and i get so much help i sleep better besides broken sleep and heebbie jeebbies (jount ache) 10% percent of the time i wouldnt be alive if it was for endep. I have no gone fried or stupid from this pill highly recommend this."

backwheeladdict October 30, 2015

"I have only taken this drug for 2 nights at a dosage of 10 MG. It has not improved my sleep as of yet. I have just experienced some restless leg syndrome."

multnap October 25, 2015

"Absolutely the worst medicine I have ever been on. I've been on antidepressants for years and they all suppressed my emotions. I was on trazodone for depression/chronic insomnia but unfortunately the medicine quit working for me so my doctor prescribed me amitriptyline 25mg and when I tell you every single horrible emotion was brought forward, I'm not even lying. Everyone around me noticed a difference and I felt trapped but was expressing externally. I had a psychotic break on this medication however I was not suocidal. If I had the power to take this medicine off the market, I'm sorry I would. The range of emotions I had was sadness to anger to agitation and it was on a repeat cycle and I couldn't control it no matter how much I wanted to"

Ashleeyv October 25, 2015

"I find this good as a sleep aid but it does leave me feeling dopey in morning for a while & also kills sexual function!"

missmouse1955 September 30, 2015

"I give it an 8 or 10.....the other end would be a 1/10 :) DO NOT take this during your waking hours...Yeesh This was prescribed for pain related to Neuropathy. I was told to take one before sleep and I would be good to go. Suffice to say, I have no idea if I hurt in my sleep because THIS PILL is the proverbial sledge hammer. I have an odd metabolism. I take one AROUND 4pm and I start yawning by 9....and do not wake for a MINIMUM of 12 hours. SO! If you need sleep...this will do it. If you need pain relief at night...well, I suppose if you are unconscious, that works as well :) Sometimes I wake with back pain from having to pee so bad. if your bladder is weak, you may have "other" issues"

Gibberish September 28, 2015

"This medicine helps me lots. I had a lot of stress in my life and if it wasn't for amitript I don't think I would be here now ."

bevanne September 11, 2015

"I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 and a half years since I was 12 (now 15), due to sleeping problems. I started on 10mg doses every night for the first couple of months but that didn't work so the doctors gradually increased me up to 50 mg (current dosage). They started working for a couple of months however they no longer work but I have never had any side affects. Now I get little sleep and am often feeling sick due to lack of sleep and often can no longer concentrate at school. Hope this doesn't happen to you at work."

Liberty H August 19, 2015

Endep (amitriptyline): "I take Endep for depression. If I take it in the evening or at night I cannot sleep at all; just toss and turn all night. Therefore, I only take it in the morning."

rlltrash (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015