User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Insomnia

"After trying many different anti-depressants and sleep aids with little to no results, my doctor put me on 75mg of Amitriptyline for severe postpartum depression and anxiety with insomnia. This was the miracle I needed. I sleep really well now am back to my happy,healthy self. I have dry mouth as a side effect, but I have learned to chew gum and use biotene at bed time. This regimen has made that one side effect tolerable and I don't mind it, considering what this medicine has done for me. I workout regularly and watch what I eat so I have not experienced any weight gain."

Trisha V. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2015

"For me, this is/was a very effective hypnotic. It literally saved my life when I had lost my ability to sleep due to a damaged CNS. I started off at 25 mgs per night and eventually increased my dosage up to 50 mgs per night. Over time I was able to cut my dosage down to ~6 1/4 mgs per night before moving on to a more desirable hypnotic. The biggest down side is its anticholinergic effects...nothing like waking up with a mouth full of sand."

Am-I-tripping-Yet (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

"I tried many of them. Amitriptyline worked the best. I only took up to 20mg."

tricyclics April 11, 2015

"Very effective in treating chronic insomnia with very few, minor side effects!"

Fat Dave (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

"I stopped sleeping totally at some point in my life and after a lot of struggle my doctor put me on amitriptyline. I hated the thought of being on a psychotic drug but with my body clearly denying me sleep, I had no choice. Amitriptyline felt like a miracle. My first night, I slept a deep volume of dreamless sleep. My eyes wouldn't even open. Aside from having a dry mouth and having a really irritating taste in my mouth, it was perfect. Four years down the line, I am still on amitriptyline. The 50mg dosage works well for me. I have increased dosage and reduced it over the years but 50mg has remained my regular dose"

sharer April 6, 2015

"Currently at 200mg to control insomnia and migraines. Only small side effect is occasional slight dizziness. Other than that, now that I am on correct dosage, minimal side effects and complete relief from issues.. as an aside, was unable to get refill for a week once and experienced extreme, worsening withdrawal symptoms: constant, mild headaches. Diarrhea. Vomiting. Debilitating nausea, dizziness and vertigo. Runny nose. Complete loss of appetite. Feeling dehydrated. Constant panic attacks: uncontrollable anxiety, racing heart, profuse sweating and feeling dehydrated and like I'm gasping for air. I've had remarkable success with the drug, but I caution anyone considering stopping to confer w their dr and wean off rather than cold turkey."

manda a. March 16, 2015

"I had been on this medication in the past and discontinued usage after I got pregnant. I started back a few months ago, not realizing what the side effects were. I started gaining weight incredibly fast with no change to my diet and exercise and wasn't going to the bathroom unless I used a laxative. I was stumped and depressed about it up until yesterday when I spoke with a GI doctor. FINALLY I had an answer only after many visits to my family doctor and many co-payments which added up quickly (with no solution). Needless to say, I am so relieved to finally know what is going on with me... 20 lbs later but I see the light at the end of tunnel. Hope this helps."

Boo Bah March 13, 2015

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Works wonderful for insomnia. Just the side effects are terrible. Headaches, drowsiness and WEIGHT GAIN!"

Tinkerbell007 March 2, 2015

"Nothing I tried help me at all. But when I went to my doctor for sleeplessness and bad headaches with migraines. I was given Amitriptyline 75mg before bed. I sleep so soundly now. This stuff was a God send to me."

dawnfaye February 25, 2015

"I still woke up after 3 hrs sleep but was able or seemed to fall back to sleep as it felt more like a daydream sleep..I still feel the need for a deep sleep ..What's strange is after falling back to sleep it seemed like 30 minutes would pass by and I never fell back to sleep when 4 hrs actually passed by..."

Davex2 February 22, 2015

"I have taken over the counter sleep aid for 7 years and the past year they stopped working for me and I would fall asleep but would wake up several times a night and it would take me 2-3 hours to go back to sleep so I asked my doctor for something better and she started me on this medicine 25mg a night at bedtime for sleep and pain and I've been taking it for 2 weeks now and I sleep so good and if I wake up I go right back to sleep and I wake up in the morning with no pain and feeling refreshed."

shayla7902 (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2015

Endep (amitriptyline): "I have been taking Endep 10 for approx 3 weeks and have I used a variety of sleeping meds. Endep is the best by far. I take it 3 hours prior to sleep and have no problems getting to sleep and if I do wake during the night I go back to sleep straight away. It can make me a little drowsy in the morning but nothing like other meds."

Jandal February 2, 2015

"I started on 50mg but am now up to 75mg and even with that I sometimes still wake up. It was a good medicine at first. Then I have found my body getting used to it, I could nearly go to work for a day after 50mg. I am guessing soon I will be on 100 or 125mg. Wait and see."

Harrow (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2015

"I am on 50 mg at night for pain and sleep. I sleep so well that I am sleeping 16-18 hours. I sleep all night then pretty much all the next day. I can't seem to stay awake!!!"

DSG1960 January 15, 2015

"Better than over the counter meds. I take 25 mg. Still wake up through the night a few times but generally go back to sleep in 10-15 minutes."

farmerboy1 December 17, 2014

"I have been on 10 mg. Amitriptyline... for a month and am really getting a good night sleep. I must say the first weeks, I was really tired and and exhausted . After 3 weeks my body adjusted quite well. I have a low tolerance to medication so 10 mg. Is good for now."

Colleendo October 26, 2014

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have taken this medication during certain times in my life due to events and change of time zones for long periods of time when my sleep pattern is broken. It is great. I have been able to stay at 25 mg without increase for more than a year and work myself off when fully recovered. Be prepared to wait for it to kick in up to 2 weeks after starting it. It needs to fully get into your system. Everyones body is different. Recently I tried zolpidem for a more immediate sleep and found I could only get 4 hours a night. I read about the addiction of it and possible rebound insomnia after weaning yourself off. I am going back to that old model medicine, Amitriiptyline. It is great and I get back to a 7-8 hour sleep pattern."

Anonymous September 1, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Amitriptyline has helped my insomnia by a ten fold. I have issues staying asleep due to my fibromyalgia and anxiety. I sleep all night for once. Unfortunately it has side effects: - No Appetite - Impotence - Daytime Drowsiness - Constipation"

ManicCatAli (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2014

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have tried numerous sleep aids, from natural, over the counter, to prescribed, and this one by far works the best for me. I was prescribed 25mg to take at bed. It does help me fall asleep a little faster, because it helps my brain "shut off", and it definitely helps me sleep better. I still wake up through out the night, but not as much, and falling back asleep is a lot easier. It does make me feel slightly groggy in the morning, and I am having slight dry mouth. The benefit outweighs the side effects for sure. I've tried Trazodone, and that didn't help at all, and experienced the rare side effect of painful erection...that was awful."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I currently take 25mg and sleep just fine. Remember that lower dosages 25-50mg are for insomnia, the more you take you move into the antidepressant effects and become less effective for sleep. So 300mg isn't going to help your insomnia and may increase it."

dezeag5069 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2014

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"At first it helped a little. Didn't help me fall to sleep but I woke up less. The effects were short lived 9 months later and I am up to 300 MG experiencing 2-6 hours of broken sleep per night."

Anonymous June 6, 2014

"I have tried many OTC sleep aids, to no avail. My doctor started me out at a 10mg dose, so my body would have time to adjust before we started increasing the dosage. I think that this was a good tactic because when I first started out on this medication, I felt zombie-like the following day. He gradually increased the dosage on weekends until a month and a half later I started taking 75mg. I get a full 8 hours sleep with my new 75mg dosage, however I was waking in the middle of the night with the smaller dosages. I'm happy with this medication, and no longer experience the post-sleep-zombification. I think however it deserves only an 8 because it takes me 6 hours after taking it to feel sleepy enough."

Nelly W (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2014

"This not only cured my chronic insomnia but it cured me of my night time anxiety and panics as well as daytime anxiety. I take 50mg at bedtime. You do not feel drowsy yet you fall asleep immediately and if you wake up at night you fall back asleep rather easily, my life has changed! I tried Celexa and mirtazipine but my system could not tolerate it. Mirtazipine would give me a dreamless sleep."

saved my life (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2014

"I had steadily got worse over a matter of years with sleeping to the point where I had three days with no sleep, even sleeping pills would not knock me out. I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia and things got worse. I now take amitriptyline 50mg before bed and two tablets during the day of Lyrica 25mg each tablet. To begin with it didn't seem to be working and I was so thirsty and extremely tired but that gets totally better after a few weeks. My anxiety has disappeared and my sleeping is 99%/100% better. I would recommend these two tablets without a doubt. They have saved me."

SJBKL (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Endep (amitriptyline): "I took Endep 25 for headaches. I felt drowsy even the next day. So I went to Endep 10. I need to to take it about 2 hours before sleep. Side effect - ear noise which is going on for over 1 week now after 1 tablet. Going to stop it for a while due to side effect."

Mr Mal March 21, 2014