User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 739 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 397 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Review by lilrif1 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been on it for 4 years and it does much more for my bipolar and extreme anxiety, then it does for my pain. I am now taking 50mg morning and 100mg evening. The new increase at night does seem to make my sleep a lot less uncomfortable and broken up.

April 1, 2013 12:20 PM

Review by Foges (taken for less than 1 month):

Endep (amitriptyline) for Pain: 10mg used to provide a pain free nights sleep. I have a pinched sciatic nerve. After cortizone injection under general anesthetic I experienced cramps that disturbed my sleep. This medicine is now giving me a good nights sleep and I wake refreshed in the morning.

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2013 8:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: Began having Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome in November 2012. Hospitalized several times. We also found that I have a vestibular issue causing me to throw up. That has resolved but left with this CVS. I started taking this medication about 3 weeks ago and I think it helps. Started 30mg dose and had an episode so increasing to 40mg and holding, if I get sick I can increase to 50mg. I am struggling with anxiety, which I had before this all started. Increase anxiety to severe state as I never know if this vomiting thing is going to come back. Overall, it works. Side effects are not bad at all. Anxiety is almost unbearable, which is not a side effect of this medication. I think it is a side effect of having CVS.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2013 6:53 PM

Review by Cssprings:

For Interstitial Cystitis: Really changed my life. Was suffering from my Interstitial Cystitis for months when my doctor finally prescribed this. Rarely feel pain (unless I go the tomato or citrus route), sleep all through the night, and I'm generally in a better mood. Gaining a little weight but definitely worth it.

March 9, 2013 5:54 PM

Review by CP343434:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: I was put on Elavil to treat sleep deprivation and for pain relief. Took it for four days. It did not help with the pain and it kept me up instead of putting me to sleep. For the first two days I slept for maybe 3 hours total (slept for one hour, woke up for about an hour, fell asleep for an hour, up again, etc.) then the last two days I went for two days straight with no sleep. Very frustrating.

March 9, 2013 8:16 AM

Review by Spy girl:

For Migraine Prevention: Had severe migraines for years, recently I started using Amitriptyline 25 mg and so far has worked wonderful.

February 28, 2013 10:53 PM

Review by Nemo1210:

For Pain: Hello, I would like to share my positive experience of taking Amytriptyline as it has truly helped save my life. I was prescribed this for acute and chronic pains in my legs which were also affecting my sleep. The pain was like searing stabbing pain. I was also suicidal. I was started on amitriptyline 10mg and was also told it would help with my other myriad of symptoms - Irritable Bowel Syndrome, weak bladder, insomnia, anxiety, etc. At first, it caused numbness in my fingers and toes and on waking and going to the bathroom I had dizzy spells, my vision was a bit weird. The doctor told me to half my dose to 5mg and although it took a few months, I gradually started to feel better and all of my symptoms improved. I hope to gradually take less so I am not dependent forever.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2013 6:43 AM

Review by Pete Haldi:

For Migraine Prevention: I had 3 to 4 migraines a week and was sleeping very badly. 2 weeks into taking amitriptylne and the migraine gone. I'm sleeping at least 7 hours a night too. I don't know if this will last, but it's working brilliantly at the moment. The initial tiredness side effect stopped 1 week in.

February 21, 2013 2:46 PM

Review by GrannyBecs (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Insomnia: I had insomnia due to hot flashes which began 8 years ago. My blessed Dr. prescribed 25 mg amitriptyline a night. I no longer wake up repeatedly due to my "internal combustion". Life is normal again.

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2013 9:52 AM

Review by AlyssaLS (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Fibromyalgia: My 10 rating is for the medicine's effectiveness for insomnia, not pain. I used to take lots of medications, including amitriptyline. I gained 20 pounds. To lose weight, I started adhering to a plant-based diet and exercising. After 4 months of diet and exercise, my pain was almost gone, so I dropped all of my medications. After that, I lost 15 pounds. A few months later, my insomnia came back. Because I wasn't sleeping, my pain increased again. So, I started back on amitriptyline. I take 30mg 4-5hrs before bed. It takes a few weeks to kick-in as a sleep aid and it might cause night-sweats for about a month. After a month, I started sleeping like a rock and I have no side-effects or weight gain. My previous weight-gain was due to Gabapentin.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2013 10:43 AM

Review by mystic4:

For Pain: I have neurological Lyme Disease and I currently take 20 mg a night. I also take Panadeine forte for breakthrough pain, Without the medication I wouldn't be able to work. It helps me sleep also which is a huge bonus. I was reluctant to take it at first because of my experience of being told the illness was in my head. A good caring doctor convinced me of its efficacy. I would recommend it as a first port of call.

February 9, 2013 5:00 AM

Review by StevePhiladelphia:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I've got two issues going now irritable bowel syndrome - or at least they are pretty sure that is what it is - sour stomach and bloating and lots of gas - plus urinary urges from prostate surgery. The IBS symptoms started in Oct (4 months ago). I am 68 yr old Male. Dr. prescribed the Amitriptyline last week and I'm on my fourth day of 10 MG before bed. I sleep sounder than ever and get up after 8 hours but tired, trying to eat healthy breakfast (oatmeal, toast and coffee - gotta have my coffee). Getting some late morning headaches and some of day better than others. I do not have diarrhea but some constipation. Not sure how many days before I know it works. I really feel for those of you who posted that you've had IBS for YEARS!

February 4, 2013 4:00 PM

Review by Eliora (taken for less than 1 month):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: After 12 years of dealing with EVERY DAY a tugging and pulling feeling in my brain, causing me to be determined disabled. I have a new doctor who yesterday started me on 10mg Elavil. I came to this website to read the comments to see if I dared believe that I could be feeling like I was finally given a miracle that might cure my diagnosed "transformed migraine" condition! TODAY, for the FIRST time in 12 years, there is no debilitating tugging and pulling, although I feel sleepy and I do feel a slight steady "pull".

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2013 6:13 PM

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: I have been on a 75mg of Elavil for over a year now for degenerative disc decease and 2 bad knees, it helps me sleep but the pain is still bad even with a morphine patch and oxycodone, but maybe my case is a rare one.

January 23, 2013 11:29 PM

Review by Sad Sack:

For Depression: I was having bad headaches, and recently stopped taking Zoloft, it didn't work. This helped a lot with the headaches, and helped me to sleep better. I starting having more vivid dreams while sleeping. This is the best antidepressant I've taken. I didn't even know it was an antidepressant till I looked it up. As I swore never to take antidepressants again but it helped with the headaches, so I guess I will just keep taking this magic pill. I wish I was prescribed this years sooner!

January 23, 2013 7:00 AM

Review by GiselleL (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine Prevention: I was intially prescribed for migraine prevention (after taking nortriptyline years ago), but have since found and leaned on this medication to aid with several other conditions. It has significantly cut down my number of migraines making them manageable, helps mentally as I have fought mild anxiety and depression drug-free for years, and makes falling asleep and staying asleep much easier. All that said, the first couple weeks of taking it were quite rough- slept like a dead person and was on another planet for a good 12 hours after taking it, had a horrendously dry mouth, and constantly fatigued but nearly all side effects subsided after a few weeks. Highly reccommend it to anyone fighting migraines, insomnia, or depression. Wonder drug.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2013 12:09 AM

Review by Minders8:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: Helped me fall asleep, but I didn't stay asleep so it had no real impact in helping my pain.

January 9, 2013 11:49 AM

Review by oscarl:

For Insomnia: I had an operation 8 weeks ago which has upset my sleeping. I was given zopiclone for 2 weeks which did make me sleep but no more than 4 hrs per night. Since last Friday I am on 50mg of amitriptyline and the first night I slept but felt like a zombie the next morning - couldn't feel my shins or feet and very spaced out. This morning, 6 days since I started amitriptyline, I haven't slept and when I say that I mean that - not a wink of sleep in the last 3 night's. I was passing out yesterday with exhaustion. They have reduced my dose to 35 and I will persist but at this present time it hasn't helped me at all, just made me worse. I am hoping it will come good because the reviews are inspiring.

January 4, 2013 12:58 AM

Review by Treetree:

For Migraine Prevention: December 2012 was a nightmare. I get migraine average 6x a week. My migraine comes usually 30-45min after I wake up. I was taking Zomig daily for a week each took 45-2hr and a good nap to cure the pain. Heard Zomig is not for daily use so I went to doctor. Doctor prescribe me with 10mg for night time. 1st day was amazing. Migraine free. 2nd day was migraine free. However today morning I had one but less severe. Overall - so far so good. Other than I'm 1/2 asleep throughout the day and wake up in the morning with extreme dry mouth. I hope this medication will work for me.

December 31, 2012 3:08 AM

Review by Nikolai (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Dysthymia: I was taking an SSRI antidepressant and other depression medicines but they didn't work. I started taking this and felt way better than I did before. I've been taking it for a while and got used to the sedating side effects and it's helped me from the first time I took it.

December 24, 2012 2:19 AM

Review by glow1242 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: After vomiting for 3-4 days solid, every 4/5 weeks for 6/7 months (starting at age 45), went to see consultant Doctor. Underwent brain scan etc. to rule out any other causes to the vomiting, diagnosed as cyclic vomiting syndrome and started 10mg amitriptyline a day. Cured! No vomiting for 3 months now, brilliant!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 23, 2012 5:17 PM

Review by Pdubs:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have suffered with irritable bowel syndrome for over 15 years. In the last two years it got so bad I could not continue working. Seventeen months ago my GP gave me a prescription for 100mg to take at bedtime. The first night I slept 14 hours and woke up high as a kite. The following two nights I took a half and the next night a quarter with the same results and decided this medicine was not for me and returned to suffering. Three months ago in desperation I took another 100mg pill and had the same experience for three days on just the one dose. After reading reviews stating that IBS patients were taking 10 to 20 mg I started on lower doses with success. I am now trying to determine my best dosage.

December 6, 2012 10:07 AM

Review by DebbieSue1111:

For Migraine Prevention: I'm 43 and have had migraines since I was 23. I've tried everything, even preventatives (Topamax - hated it) and finally found Frova to be really effective. Then I recently got one migraine that Frova couldn't keep away for more than 12 hours. After 8 weeks of undulating pain, I tried amitriptyline and my migraine finally disappeared after only 2 days. I was also able to get a full night's sleep. Been on 10mg for two weeks now and feel almost back to my normal self again. The drowsiness subsided after about a week. I will occasionally get the sensation that I'm getting a migraine, but it dissipates quickly. No issues with weight gain yet - I actually lost about 10 pounds, but it could be because I've been doing more sleeping than eating lately.

November 23, 2012 11:49 PM

Review by Meechie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking Elavil for over 5 years now and I must say it has changed my whole outlook completely. I was diagnosed as bi-polar, depressed and an insomniac. This medication has improved all three of my conditions.

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2012 8:08 PM

Review by chez12 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: I started with cyclic vomiting syndrome when I was 14, and was in out of hospital for years. It got to the point I suffered with an episode every week with only 3 days in between, until I was 22. I then saw a doctor that had heard of CVS, and he prescribed Amitriptyline every night and Zofran when an episode started, since then, now I'm 32, I have not had an episode. I still take Amitriptyline every night but it has defiantly stopped CVS and is a miracle for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate