User Reviews for Amitriptyline (Page 6)

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 783 medications

Fibromyalgia 59 reviews 20 medications

6.3
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 686 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Insomnia: "I find this good as a sleep aid but it does leave me feeling dopey in morning for a while & also kills sexual function!"

missmouse1955 September 30, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "After reading some of the reviews I just want to say that amitriptyline is not prescribed to help with the daily pain of fibromyalgia. It is used to help ease the other symptoms it can cause. If you are taking it in hopes that your daily aches and pains are going to go away then I suggest you see a different doctor and try something else. I take Savella also and that has helped me a great deal. But I am using amitriptyline because I suffer from tension headaches and migraines. Out of the month, I can go every day with a headache. I have not been on it long enough to give you a full review but since I have been on it I can say that I am sleeping much better and my headaches are getting better. I have been on it for a little more than a week."

malloryb September 29, 2015

For Insomnia: "I give it an 8 or 10.....the other end would be a 1/10 :) DO NOT take this during your waking hours...Yeesh This was prescribed for pain related to Neuropathy. I was told to take one before sleep and I would be good to go. Suffice to say, I have no idea if I hurt in my sleep because THIS PILL is the proverbial sledge hammer. I have an odd metabolism. I take one AROUND 4pm and I start yawning by 9....and do not wake for a MINIMUM of 12 hours. SO! If you need sleep...this will do it. If you need pain relief at night...well, I suppose if you are unconscious, that works as well :) Sometimes I wake with back pain from having to pee so bad. if your bladder is weak, you may have "other" issues"

Gibberish September 28, 2015

For Pain: "Chronic severe pain from fibromyalgia, Crowns, degenerative disease, arthritis and more. Just went to see a new psychiatrist and he prescribed 50mg nightly for depression and anxiety. I am almost pain free. I can't believe all the docs I've had over the years never thought of this. It is definitely is worth talking to your doc about it is truly a Godsend !"

momspebbles (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I have migraine and depression. I couldn't sleep before and had at least four migraine attacks every month. A GP started me on Amitriptyline 25 mg every night for migraine prevention but she doesn't know that I also have depression (diagnosed by a psychiatrist). Now I'm able to sleep well, and only have migraines one or two times a month. Depression is more manageable now since I get enough sleep. Killing two birds with one stone, ha."

anna nolan September 25, 2015

For Pain: "I had a very horrible toothache and this helped me to numb it, the pain was still there in the background and also I have insomnia so this helped me to sleep and be without excruciating pain - did make me feel a bit loopy of you don't go right to bed when you start to feel it"

Toothache456668447) September 24, 2015

For Depression: "i have suffered for many, many years with major depressive disorder among others I have tried way too many different drugs to alleviate my symptoms. While most meds helped to some degree it was rather like putting a bandaid on a hemorrhaging aorta. Since I have started on only 25 mg of amitriptyline my life has turned around. I feel like my old self. I never dreamed i would have the opportunity to feel so "normal". The years were flying by and I thought my lot in life was to get by with my bandaid firmly affixed. Now I am strong emotionally and whatever has come down the pike has not paralyzed my being. I am thrilled and grateful that my Psych let me try this. At 69 (and a half) i truly have a new lease on the rest of my life. "

Calamity Jane September 22, 2015

For Pain: "This is the only medication I can take that gives me some relief from the pain I suffer in my back and leg. I have disc damage and nerve damage. I at time can be taking 75mg per night and other times only 20mg pain dependent. The only side effect I suffer is the chronic munchies the next day till I have completely flushed the drugs out of my system and a slight dopey-ness. Without these I would not get any sleep at night, these guarantee me 3 solid hours and some pain relief."

Shell666 (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It was both heartwarming and very frustrating reading all the posts on the amazing results that sufferers of IBS found from this medication. I suffer from a disease called Chronic Radiation Enteritis, which is a possible late effect of having radiation to my abdominal area when I was 12 -- I am now 53. After only 2-3 days of taking the drug, I became extremely anxious, moody, and eventually a general feeling of hopelessness settled on me that was absolutely horrible. I have taken the 30 pills as asked, but not only did it not help my gut, but made me generally miserable for the entire month. So IBS people, I am so happy for you, and pray that something will come along that will help me even half as much as the testimonials I read here."

ValleyOfTheDolls (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I am 15 and I have had migranes ever since I can remember, but when I was around 13 it got to the point where I couldn't do anything in any of my classes because I got around 15 a day. So I stated taking amitriplynine and now I only get around 1 or 2 a week, it is a process on what the right dosage is, but it has helped me so much."

Harvey Shores September 14, 2015

Endep (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: "Dramatic weight gain, heartburn, sleeplessness"

Me and everyone else September 13, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I'm 15 and have been getting migraines since I was 10 or 11. They got so bad I was going home early from school and have the next day off twice a week. I started taking amitriptyline when I was 13 or 14 and have had one migraine since"

T.M (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 12, 2015

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: "I haven't started this drug yet, but am suppose to today, I'm scared to take it from reading everyone's reviews cause I'm a tired person and have IBS so any change can make me really sleepy or feel sick, I'm really sleepy. I'm 31 with 2 kids. I don't want to be more tired or feel like a zombie cause half the time I do anyways. I'm crying cause I'm so scared to take this drug cause the side effects seem so much and those side effects always affect me. I will try it so my doctor can't hound me about taking it. I really don't wanna lose my thoughts cause I have a bad memory as is. But what can you do when you have to be a lab rat for your doctor, not happy!"

Jennypaigeandfam September 11, 2015

For Insomnia: "This medicine helps me lots. I had a lot of stress in my life and if it wasn't for amitript I don't think I would be here now ."

bevanne September 11, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've suffered from migraines since I was a teen but as a adult they became unbearable. After the death of my mother going on 5 yrs this December and a year to the date then my grandmother my depression was at a high. I don't think is describable. My nerves and patience were all over the place my migraines had gotten to the point I had to take shots for the pain! I was rushed to the hospital one day for a headache that I felt was going to take my life the same as a headache did my mom. I had swelling on the brain I was put on three different combinations of meds out of the three I figured out the amitriptyline was the one that managed all my symptoms especially my headaches and later discovered my insomnia! To this day I still take it."

Ann Amazin September 4, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Husband has turned in to a angry hulk. I know most of since these comments are positive on here. But my husband raged and changed into being abusive , and blowing up at a drop as a dime. Don't recommend at all. He is only 30 ...Stopped headaches but turned in to depressed , paranoid, and angry."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2015

For Interstitial Cystitis: "For my IC/PBS, I get bladder infections every two weeks, try as hard as I can to watch my diet (though it's difficult not to cheat), get pelvic floor physical therapy, take Uribel and Klonapin as needed, and take 25 mg of amitriptyline each night. When I first started taking it, after about a couple of weeks, I felt completely normal for the first time in months. No symptoms at all for about 4 weeks. Now I have some creeping back. I'm going to try upping my dose to 50 mg each night and see how I tolerate it. It does make you dopey in the morning at first, but that goes away eventually."

PSRoman (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Started Amitriptyline less then six months ago for lingering on going headaches, 25 mg at night. I see a immunologist for Lupus and fibromyalgia. He sent me to a neurologist, who gave me Amitriptyline. Helped me tolerate them but they never went away. They made me cranky, irritable, and down right mean. I have muscle weakness, and can not concentrate. Dr. for Fibro wants to increase dose to 100mg. I don't see that helping my side effects since the side effects started with this med. I'm going to see GP for a third opinion and referral to a Psychiatrist. This drug is not for everyone. Be careful."

D.J.S. August 30, 2015

For Pain: "Low dose 25mg at bedtime for back pain/buldging discs-It works great!! No more daily motrin 800 which means no more daily nexium!!!"

sebic12 (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Doctors could not figure out why I had pain and sleepless nights. I finally told the docs lets pretend its fibromyalgia and treat it. Doctor prescribed amitriptyline and I am 90% better. I still have occasional difficult nights but my life is much better."

hoggywood August 23, 2015

For Depression: "I have been suffering from depression almost all my life. Ive been on several different medications though out the last 10 years. I ended up with peripheral neuropathy last year and was sent to a neurologist, he put me on amitriptyline for the burning and he also said it will help with insomnia and my depression. I absolutely am happy with this drug!!! Better then Prozac, I still have feelings.(lol). Anyhow if you r debating on this medication, I recommend it 100 percent. I take 100mg a couple hours before bed, unless I get upset during the day,(then ill take 25mg just to take the edge off.) Then I'll just take 75 mgs before bed,"

wonder drug! (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 20, 2015

For Insomnia: "I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 and a half years since I was 12 (now 15), due to sleeping problems. I started on 10mg doses every night for the first couple of months but that didn't work so the doctors gradually increased me up to 50 mg (current dosage). They started working for a couple of months however they no longer work but I have never had any side affects. Now I get little sleep and am often feeling sick due to lack of sleep and often can no longer concentrate at school. Hope this doesn't happen to you at work."

Liberty H August 19, 2015

For Interstitial Cystitis: "The side effects were limiting especially tiredness and not sufficient pain relief."

Susi0103 August 17, 2015

For Pain: "I'm 20 years old and have both fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. I also use amitriptyline to treat my depression and my sleep. Before my rheumatologist prescribed this, I went through numerous other things which all caused me to get horrible headaches, stomach problems, and did nothing for my depression. I sleep well pretty much every night and I dont wake up feeling groggy, I dont have as many 'bad body days' anymore, and I feel way better emotionally."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 17, 2015

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I started taking this medication to help with my bad migraines and nausea. It helped for awhile but in the past 6 months has stopped working almost completely. The major side effects I noticed were increased emotions (I cry at everything now, and I'm not a sensitive person) and I've developed serious anxiety and stress. I'm currently weaning off this medication to try something else, but it did help for awhile."

psk134psk August 15, 2015