Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 770 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 482 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Review by Sleeping again:

For Insomnia: I was just put on 50 mg of amitriptyline for extreme insomnia, anxiety, and depression. I have suffered from insomnia my entire life and my job is very stressful as a nurse working rotating shift at a hospital. I would stay up for 3 days at a time while working crazy 12 hour back to back shifts. I was at my wit's end, so exhausted, delirious, and beyond stressed. I have tried so many different medicines to help with sleep and anxiety. None have even come anywhere as close as Amitriptyline has, to giving me good sleep. I had lost hope that I would ever be able to sleep good again. Amitriptyline has SAVED me. I can fall asleep easily, I don't wake up every hour, and I sleep like a BABY! I can now function at work again. This medicine saved me.

289 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2014 3:44 AM

Review by Nick77:

For Insomnia: I have been suffering with sleepless nights for over 8 years. Nothing seemed to work. Since I have been prescribed a small dosage of amitryptiline my sleep has very much improved. I fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. I actually look forward to going to bed now.

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2014 1:16 AM

Review by Sandiandi1945:

For Insomnia: I have suffered from migraines most of my life and tried many preventive meds that did not work.I had to get a new doctor and he started me on Elavil 50 mg at bedtime.Not only did it cut down on the frequency and severity of the headaches now I sleep like a baby and that has cut now 100% on morning migraines.It is a God send.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2014 7:24 PM

Review by IC Patient:

For Interstitial Cystitis: I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis about 2 years ago. I tried bladder instillations, read books about natural healing and pretty much refused any medication. After a year and a half of suffering and trying gluten free, dairy free, egg free, yeast free for over 8 weeks I finally gave up the natural route and agreed to 25 mg of amitriptyline once a day. Bottom line--it works. It really does. I still have the frequency but the pain is almost completely gone. There have been some days when I feel the pain but I take an extra dose and it helps so much. I do have to say though, it makes me tired, I've gained about 30 pounds and waking up in the morning is harder than ever. Still, it's worth it.

January 12, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by SuzanneL64 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have been suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Diarrhea for several years, with pain, bloating, diarrhea and loud intestinal gurgling after every meal. Gastro doc put me on Amitriptyline started with 5mg and worked up to 25mg over 2 months. It really works. I forgot to take it for a couple of days and all the symptoms came back. It also helps with my neck and shoulder pain and neuropathy from pinched nerves in my neck. Another bonus is this medication is very inexpensive.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2014 7:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: Ive been on lorazepam 1mg 3x daily for over 10 years and recently had not been able to get them due to switching doctors and have been having horrible side effects. I've only been on this a short time but seems to help a little and going to give it more time. I've read on the reviews others which gives me hope.

January 9, 2014 11:30 AM

Review by Transparent911 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: I started taking this medicine 4 months ago for my nerve pain in low dose of 10 mg twice a day and maybe a bit for depression. It does not help at all for the pain but it does help to fall asleep faster and for my mood.

132 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2013 7:52 PM

Review by Nik85 (taken for less than 1 month):

Endep (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: I've been taking 20mg of amitriptyline for 2 weeks and I have slept extremely well every night and I have so much more energy during the day. I sleep solid and right through the night which is unusual for me these days as my stressful job and back pain often leaves me anxious and tossing and turning every night and then I end up grumpy, run down and feeling sick as a result. So far it has not helped with my anxiety or depression but getting a good night sleep helps me cope and gives me energy to attend yoga and exercise. I believe the dose may be too small to help the depression. I'm also taking this as it is the most studied antidepressant used during pregnancy and the SSRI's give me insomnia. I have almost no side effects so far.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2013 5:39 PM

Review by cornix:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Depression: Unable to urinate.

December 13, 2013 5:34 PM

Review by Guidebridge:

For Fibromyalgia: Just started on 10mg at night to help me sleep I have degenerative disk same symptoms as fibromyalgia. Sleeping better now, feel a bit better . Only my first week no side effects my GP told me to drink hot water everyday.

December 12, 2013 6:25 AM

Review by JB247:

For Burning Mouth Syndrome: Male with Burning mouth syndrome. It took a few weeks, but this did subdue the symptoms. 50mg nightly.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2013 8:31 PM

Review by x3mazda3x:

For Anxiety and Stress: I was originally prescribed 25 mg per night when I was 13 to treat Chronic Headache Syndrome (CHS). It worked like a charm. My neurologist took me off it when I was 19 because people usually outgrow CHS by adulthood. As the medication left my system, I discovered I had an anxiety disorder I never knew I had because the amitriptyline had taken care of it! Now, I'm back on 25 mg and I couldn't be happier.

December 9, 2013 11:04 AM

Review by Finally some relief:

For Migraine Prevention: I have been suffering from chronic migraines for 18 yrs. Smells, sounds, foods trigger them and sometimes last for 2 weeks. My Dr started me on 25mg of Amitriptyline at bedtime. Instant relief. First 2 weeks it would knock me out & when I woke I would be drowsy and float through work. Not even a headache for 28 days! 29th day, migraines were back, not as bad. Dr. upped my dosage to 50mg. So far so good. Side effects I have experienced: Dizziness, drowsiness, & dry mouth.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2013 1:09 AM

Review by TCme:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking this for about 9 years, I suffered from work related stress /depression and anxiety, this was the only medicine that pulled me together. I still take it now. I have tried to come of it a few times but the time wasn't right however, I don't care if I have to take it for life I would rather that than the nightmare of anxiety and depression. I take 50 mg per night but can take up to 150mg if it is hitting the fan so to speak.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2013 10:39 AM

Review by KaylieAnne (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: I was prescribed this medication for insomnia and depression. I suffer from Lupus, Hashimoto's disease, fibromyalgia, CFS and C-PTSD. I"ve been on it for about four weeks. I've noticed a significant drop in pain on many days than not. I sleep a solid eight to nine hours a night. I've noticed that I'm calmer, but I'm on a very low dose of 10mg, but will requesting an increase. I also hope to drop my narcotic pain medication intake to ZERO, if this continues to work as well as it has. Getting sleep is a MAJOR issue and one that cannot be undermined when considering the elements that contribute to chronic illness of any kind. This is AMAZING. Dry mouth and night time vertigo during the first few weeks of use.

155 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2013 1:09 AM

Review by nspired0104:

For Migraine Prevention: I've been a chronic migraine sufferer my entire life. Literally, I even had migraines as a young child, which my neurologist informed me was very rare?.. I was diagnosed with chronic complicated migraine averaging 20 plus headache days a month. id get migraine attacks where I'd repeatedly get slammed with migraines lasting up to 15 days where I couldn't function in a row. She put me on verapramil twice a day which helped slightly for a few months then did nothing so she put me on the amitriptyline a few days ago. I started at 25 mg at night and in a few days up to 50mg. It does help me sleep.. and my migraines today are substantially less. Hoping it keeps getting better!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2013 9:03 PM

Review by lelo13 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Burning Mouth Syndrome: Miracle for me! I have burning pain in mouth and vulvadynia. Have been on this for 3 days and almost no pain. I had heavy side effects of dizziness and was lethargic 1st 2 days but am coming out of it now. Taking 25mg twice daily.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2013 12:56 PM

Review by lelo13 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Vulvodynia: I have been on this for 3 days now and it has helped tremendously. Felt very lethargic the 1st 2 days and dizzy but much better today. Taking 25mg twice daily. Also have neurological pain in mouth. Still have slight pain but nothing like it was.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2013 12:51 PM

Review by Chloe12345:

For Pain: I suffered with chronic pain for about seven years. Went to many specialist who told me either nothing was wrong or I had fibromyalgia. I tried all medications out there for pain, muscle relaxers, anti-depressants and medication for epilepsy. As well as meds for fibro. Nothing helped. Finally I found a new Nerologist who put me on a combo of Amitriptyline and Prozac. I am on both the smallest doses. It has been a miracle for my pain. I wish I would have known about this 7 years ago. My biggest problem with it is weight gain like 13 pounds. My diet has not changed and I took up running. But no weight comes off. I guess I rather have less pain and be a little over weight then skinny and in tons of pain:)

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2013 12:57 PM

Review by Latinjojo (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety and Stress: Just started taking these meds praying it will help for my panic attacks during the night!!! The last two night I've actually slept well so far so good!

November 12, 2013 4:22 AM

Review by Finally happy XD:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have been taking endep for around 2 weeks now, prior to that I was having psychotic tendencies and severe boughts of rage almost every day, which was brought on by underlying anxiety, Endep (and valium) have allowed me to live a normal life, I Have gotten back into things I enjoy I feel like a different person,I am more sociable and 100 times more happy in general I hope this helps someone in a similar situation.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2013 8:37 PM

Review by Rynn82:

For Migraine Prevention: I have a brain tumour, epilepsy and chronic migraines. I take Elavil 200mg daily and Lamictal 400mg. Compared to the multiple meds and combos my drs had me on, Elavil has worked the best for me. It doesn't stop them (migraines) but my headache hell has improved and post seizure headaches are less severe. With the high dosage of both meds it's given I'll feel side effects but overall no major signs of toxicity as I did with other meds.

November 9, 2013 11:23 PM

Review by Lemmingham:

Endep (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: I have been on Endep for Fibromyalgia for 10 years. At first the affect was awesome, for the first time in many years I slept properly and had hardly any pain. Over the years though, this has changed. I started off on 50mg per day and over the years had to have it increased to the maximum does of 150mg. Recently I have been having heart palpatations and an increased heart rate. My doctor has put it down to the extended time I have been on Endep at such a high rate. So now I am on a drug to lower my heart rate, which works well, but my doctor is getting me to try to cut down on the Endep with a view of going off it altogether and hopefully also going off the drug that I need to lower my heart rate. It's not working I'm in too much pain

November 5, 2013 3:36 AM

Review by Shazza1968:

For Migraine Prevention: I was put on this medication 50mg nightly to stop migraine/headaches during the day, I have multiple sclerosis and suffer from a lot of neuropathic pain also. I am on Lyrica 300mg twice daily, both of these medications have caused weight gain. I have slowly weaned myself off the endep and now am suffering from dizziness, hoping this will pass. But my concern is that endep is also for treatment of depression, was I being medicated under false pretenses and now that I am off it will suffer from depression. MS is a hard illness to deal with at the best of times, will I now not handle my disease ?? Time will tell.

October 28, 2013 11:41 PM

Review by finally pain free (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pain: After 10 years of chronic abdominal pain, a bunch of tests, multiple doctors telling me to take ompeprazole with no relief I am now 90% pain free. I started taking Endep 1 week ago and have increased to 20 mg. It makes me a little sleepy but I take it 2 hrs before bed anyway. My new doc narrowed it down to overactive nerves and she nailed it. I'm now getting better quality of life and am happy that I have found this med. For me it's really worked well.

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2013 4:09 AM