User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 775 medications

Fibromyalgia 44 reviews 21 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 500 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Migraine Prevention: "My doctor prescribed a migraine prevention medication for me yesterday,, for the first time in literally years, I did not wake up with pain in my head that was a level 2 (out of 10 for pain) would either drop to a 1 for pain or become a migraine. I can't tell you how weird it feels to wake up with zero pain."

Mermaid2011 April 30, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "Not had a migraine in 2-3 years whilst being on 20mg amitriptyline. Wonder pill! Also helps my insomnia. Combine with magnesium for a better effect good luck"

Jonnydoe (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 25, 2014

For Fibromyalgia: "I was prescribed this medication to help with the pain of fibromyalgia at night. I was started on 10mg and gradually upped to 30mg. I find I am sleeping better as the pain is not waking me during the night. I have had no side effects and a bonus is it has also helped ease my severe anxiety disorder a little. Thinking about asking if my dose can be upped to help with the anxiety."

GloomyEeyore April 24, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "I'm 59 years old and have suffered with migraines as well as hard to get rid of "regular" daily headaches since my early teens. A three day migraine would loose 9 pounds for me. I had been to countless doctors and a neurologist with no triggers found. No one ever tried a preventive medication for me. Finally, four years ago, my VA doctor suggested Amitriptyline. It's been a lifesaver. He suggested building up to 30 mg per day at bedtime. I developed dry mouth, eyes and throat as well as nosebleeds. I reduced to 10 mgs with good results as far as the headache and migraine relief, but still the side effects. Cut the pills in half with good results. So, now I'm taking 5 mg per day, with virtually no side effects and NO headaches at all."

nomoreheadaches April 24, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraines since I was 14, and now I'm 48. They have got progressively worse with age, although after giving birth was migraine free for a few years before they returned with a vengeance. I would have a debilitating migraines for 10 days solid followed by a few days break only to have another. I was tested for everything and they found no trigger. I have 3 Types of migraine, 1)wake up with them 2) visual ones where I loose my sight 3) ones that start during the day and work their way around my head for the duration. After many attempts with all sorts medicines. Endep has done the trick at 48yrs of age."

Shellsc April 18, 2014

For Insomnia: "This not only cured my chronic insomnia but it cured me of my night time anxiety and panics as well as daytime anxiety. I take 50mg at bedtime. You do not feel drowsy yet you fall asleep immediately and if you wake up at night you fall back asleep rather easily, my life has changed! I tried Celexa and mirtazipine but my system could not tolerate it. Mirtazipine would give me a dreamless sleep."

saved my life (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2014

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I been taking this medicine for 4 months now at 50mg at bedtime and it has changed my life. Anxiety stress and depression strongly minimized. I fall instantly asleep instead of being up all night worrying. Best sleep in 20 years."

Changed my life. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2014

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I had steadily got worse over a matter of years with sleeping to the point where I had three days with no sleep, even sleeping pills would not knock me out. I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia and things got worse. I now take amitriptyline 50mg before bed and two tablets during the day of Lyrica 25mg each tablet. To begin with it didn't seem to be working and I was so thirsty and extremely tired but that gets totally better after a few weeks. My anxiety has disappeared and my sleeping is 99%/100% better. I would recommend these two tablets without a doubt. They have saved me."

SJBKL (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking 25mg amitriptyline for a little over a year. For migraines it works fantastic but I think I might need to start a higher dose due to a slowly decreasing effectiveness. Still working great though."

T.R 88 March 27, 2014

For Pain: "I have interstitial cystitis for 15 yrs now. I have tried everything. Lyrica worked great for pain but too many side effects. I am back to amitriptyline. Works really well and very inexpensive versus thousands for Lyrica. I even took it during my three pregnancies. All my babies healthy. Dr said this medicine has been around so long that he was comfortable giving it to me during pregnancy for my pain."

Cupcak321 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 25, 2014

Endep (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: "I took Endep 25 for headaches. I felt drowsy even the next day. So I went to Endep 10. I need to to take it about 2 hours before sleep. Side effect - ear noise which is going on for over 1 week now after 1 tablet. Going to stop it for a while due to side effect."

Mr Mal March 21, 2014

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "I have been experiencing tremendous constant pain in my right arm and shoulder caused by Multiple Sclerosis nerve pain. I've never experienced such pain before. Not being able to sleep for 5 days a doctor recommended that I take Elavil. I've only taken it for 2 days but I did sleep almost 6 hours last night with little pain. I'm confident that this is going to save my sanity and help with the nerve pain. So far very happy."

Anonymous March 19, 2014

175 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "If your thinking about going on this medicine for irritable bowel syndrome do it! I have been suffering for almost 5 years now and I was missing work and was terrified to leave my house. Any social event I would go to I would be terrified I would have a flare up. I used to LIVE off Pepto and I started taking amitriptyline (25mg) it has changed my life! For real! Besides a little weight gain which is much better then living the life I was, it has truly saved me. This dosage is really good for me and my irritable bowel syndrome was very severe. I take it with dinner so I don't wake up to tired! Good luck!"

Badibs (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I suffered migraines off and on for years. I've been using amiptiptyline for 3 years now at bedtime. No more bad migraines. If I do get one now, my meds work instead of it lasting for days."

JackHat March 6, 2014

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: "While it doesn't take away all the pain it has helped with the tiredness and the feeling that I was wearing a lead suit. I still have bad days but so far I am pleased with this medication. It has helped me more than any other medication that I have tried."

Shelle518 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 26, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "For Migraine"

Ej19772005 February 20, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've only been taking this for a month. I got 25mg of amitriptyline at night. I have anxiety attacks and sometimes I shake, this hasn't been helping at all with that. I also have insomnia which is the only thing it's helped for. I actually sleep but it gives me dry mouth and once I woke up and everything was spinning for the whole day. "

Jesterr February 13, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: "I'm on 100mg a day for depression. I was on 75mg which was then upped to 100mg. It helps me feel relaxed and also helps me sleep."

crystal ship (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 4, 2014

For Insomnia: "I was just put on 50 mg of amitriptyline for extreme insomnia, anxiety, and depression. I have suffered from insomnia my entire life and my job is very stressful as a nurse working rotating shift at a hospital. I would stay up for 3 days at a time while working crazy 12 hour back to back shifts. I was at my wit's end, so exhausted, delirious, and beyond stressed. I have tried so many different medicines to help with sleep and anxiety. None have even come anywhere as close as Amitriptyline has, to giving me good sleep. I had lost hope that I would ever be able to sleep good again. Amitriptyline has SAVED me. I can fall asleep easily, I don't wake up every hour, and I sleep like a BABY! I can now function at work again. This medicine saved me."

Sleeping again January 24, 2014

294 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have been suffering with sleepless nights for over 8 years. Nothing seemed to work. Since I have been prescribed a small dosage of amitryptiline my sleep has very much improved. I fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. I actually look forward to going to bed now."

Nick77 January 19, 2014

181 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have suffered from migraines most of my life and tried many preventive meds that did not work.I had to get a new doctor and he started me on Elavil 50 mg at bedtime.Not only did it cut down on the frequency and severity of the headaches now I sleep like a baby and that has cut now 100% on morning migraines.It is a God send."

Sandiandi1945 January 14, 2014

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Interstitial Cystitis: "I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis about 2 years ago. I tried bladder instillations, read books about natural healing and pretty much refused any medication. After a year and a half of suffering and trying gluten free, dairy free, egg free, yeast free for over 8 weeks I finally gave up the natural route and agreed to 25 mg of amitriptyline once a day. Bottom line--it works. It really does. I still have the frequency but the pain is almost completely gone. There have been some days when I feel the pain but I take an extra dose and it helps so much. I do have to say though, it makes me tired, I've gained about 30 pounds and waking up in the morning is harder than ever. Still, it's worth it."

IC Patient January 12, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have been suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Diarrhea for several years, with pain, bloating, diarrhea and loud intestinal gurgling after every meal. Gastro doc put me on Amitriptyline started with 5mg and worked up to 25mg over 2 months. It really works. I forgot to take it for a couple of days and all the symptoms came back. It also helps with my neck and shoulder pain and neuropathy from pinched nerves in my neck. Another bonus is this medication is very inexpensive."

SuzanneL64 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: "Ive been on lorazepam 1mg 3x daily for over 10 years and recently had not been able to get them due to switching doctors and have been having horrible side effects. I've only been on this a short time but seems to help a little and going to give it more time. I've read on the reviews others which gives me hope."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2014

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "I started taking this medicine 4 months ago for my nerve pain in low dose of 10 mg twice a day and maybe a bit for depression. It does not help at all for the pain but it does help to fall asleep faster and for my mood."

Transparent911 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2013

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...Next