User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 699 medications

Fibromyalgia 45 reviews 20 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 1 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 535 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medicine is amazing. After 10 years of chronic diarrhea, fecal urgency and other Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms, I went to see the gastro as I was doubled over in colic-type pain up to 3 times a month. He gave me 25mg to take at night and I haven't looked back."

looksharp (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 28, 2014

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "My daughter was diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome at age 10, she lost 13 lb on a few week time frame. She had a EGD and other test. The doctor then prescribed Amitriptyline 25 mg at bedtime if helped. She stayed on it the entire school year, we then took her off of it for the summer. Things were going great until this week and she has had to episodes we will be starting her back on it today. We also use Zofran as needed."

Child suffering (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 25, 2014

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Fibromyalgia: "Take at night, and once I fall asleep, it helps. Doesn't stop the pain/discomfort of trying to get comfortable to fall asleep."

Megcait (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 24, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "30 to 40 min after taking migraine was twice as bad and both arms felt like they where on fire, another one to add to the list of things I react strangely to."

11walker11 August 21, 2014

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome almost 2 years ago. I have been on Amitriptyline for about a year and a half. I recently went off because I ran out of refills and my insurance changed making a specialist visit expensive. Within a week I was extremely nauseous. The doctor called me in more and I started talking it again. Within a few days it went away. I am so thankful for this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2014

For Interstitial Cystitis: "Amitriptyline is very effective in my Interstitial Cystitis treatment. I took half of 25mg at dinner time. Both frequency and urgency went away."

Jordan, San Jose (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "Had migraines since I was 6. The past 1.5 year's I've had migraine every single day. I'm now 33 years old and have this medicine since February this year. The first 3 months I had 25 mg, now 10mg. Headaches were completely gone. Since I have the lower dosage, it's coming back a bit so I will go back to 20 -25mg. This is the first medicine that's actually working so I am very happy with it !"

Tessa2211 August 12, 2014

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Stopped my migraines. Hard to get over the side effects. Hard to get out of bed in the morning but well worth it. Side effects go away after a month or so."

bulldog2222 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 8, 2014

For Pain: "For the past 4 years this medication has been great to me. I was prescribed this because I have had horrible TMJ. At night this would ease my pain. It would also relax my jaw enough to sleep and not have clenching and grinding. I've only had 2 problems taking it. It has gave me nightmares and it makes me so sleepy that I rarely get out of bed on time the next day. But all in all it has helped me."

Beepleboop (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 5, 2014

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: "Amitriptyline has helped my insomnia by a ten fold. I have issues staying asleep due to my fibromyalgia and anxiety. I sleep all night for once. Unfortunately it has side effects: - No Appetite - Impotence - Daytime Drowsiness - Constipation"

ManicCatAli (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2014

154 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have tried numerous sleep aids, from natural, over the counter, to prescribed, and this one by far works the best for me. I was prescribed 25mg to take at bed. It does help me fall asleep a little faster, because it helps my brain "shut off", and it definitely helps me sleep better. I still wake up through out the night, but not as much, and falling back asleep is a lot easier. It does make me feel slightly groggy in the morning, and I am having slight dry mouth. The benefit outweighs the side effects for sure. I've tried Trazodone, and that didn't help at all, and experienced the rare side effect of painful erection...that was awful."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was having an anxiety disorder (shaking hands, blushing, obsessions) I was put on sertraline but had a terrible side effect to this and was put on 20mg amitriptyline to counteract this. From moment I took it my hands stopped shaking and intrusive thoughts reduced. I was upped to 50mg and I am back to my old self. Hardly any worries at all, no shaking, feel happy. No dry mouth but I have put probably a stone of weight on and gone up 1-2 dress sizes. This side effect is worth it for the benefits it has given me."

JLS80 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: "Initially on citalopram 20mg and felt horrible and more panicky so doctor moved me on to Sertraline 50mg and propranolol to stop the fast heart rate. Eventually built upto 100mg but still didn't solve the anxiety and restlessness that I had. Now I'm taking Amitryptyline 25mg twice a day and feel so much better. I don't feel as anxious during the day and at night when my anxiety gets worse, amitryptyline helps me get a good nights sleep. I've noticed a big difference since being on amitryptyline and with less side effects that citalopram and sertraline."

John2986 July 29, 2014

For Depression: "I'm taking this more as a mood stabilizer. The medicine has caused my tongue to be sore, excessive dry lips, mouth and throat. It has help with my mood though. I can't take this medicine anymore. I'm contacting my doctor for some other medication."

camsgram (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I suffered from irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea at least 3 times a day. I have now been on the medication for over two months and I cried with happiness at my follow-up! I have had diarrhea TWICE since I started taking the medication. This medication has genuinely saved my life."

Lou95 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "I'm 27 years old, I was diagnosed with Acute Migraines and my family Dr. prescribed me Amitriptyline HCL 25MG right before Bed. I have had no headaches since then never told I would feel better. But my sensitivity to light has become very bad and I spend the morning hours very sleepy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2014

For Anxiety and Stress: "Although I have gained 20 lbs on this medicine I feel much better overall. I take 125mg at bedtime and haven't slept so good in 25 yrs. I started on a dosage of 25 mg which did nothing. Not even make me sleepy. Had immediate relief after the dosage was regulated. This in conjunction with anti anxiety medication has helped tremendously. I just have to exercise daily and keep a watch over what I eat. But that is a small trade for the drastic change in my overall well being and frame of mind."

Socially disfinctional July 22, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "Suffered all my life and this medicine was the best thing to ever happen to me!"

nas9999 July 20, 2014

For Hyperhidrosis: "I was put on Amitriptyline to aid in sleep while on Prozac. When I discontinued the Prozac and the amitriptyline because I no longer needed an antidepressant, I noticed an old problem with hyperhidrosis reappeared. I went back on just 5mg of the amitriptyline and the results were amazing. No more sweating and feeling very calm all day long."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "I been suffering with migraines for 6 years. I was hospitalized because of nausea, dizziness, blurred vision etc. 6 years ago and my nuerologist prescribed me Imitrex (Sumatriptan) and Fioricet. The Imitrex stops the migraines as soon as I took them but the Fioricet was the pill that I was suppose to take on a daily use. But the migraines just kept on coming everyday. Not a day go by without a constant migraine. I was recently hospitalized and was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis ... my doctor in the hospital was a neurologist. I was not sleeping and started suffering from insomnia. My neurologist prescribed me Amitriptyline HCL 10MG. Yesterday was the first time I took the pill and its a miracle. No migraines today."

Annesa (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2014

For Pain: "I started taking this medicine about 5 months ago for Neuropathy. The pain has gone away completely. I went from not being able to sleep at night and constant numbness in my toes and aching in my joints to no pain at all. BUT I am 20 and am not always able to go to bed before 10 pm so many days I cant take it because it will cause me to be completely unaware and sleepy for the entire next day. Even when I take it before 10 pm some days I just can't function the next day and that is becoming so inhibiting to where I don't take it. I literally fall asleep while driving."

Dannieyy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2014

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I have had migraines going on 20 yrs now. I've been on a beta blocker blood pressure medicine and Topamax. Topamax decreased the headaches somewhat, but at the cost of very debilitating side effects of fatigue and depression and rapid weight loss that never stopped, therefore my Dr. stopped it. I recently changed drs and for the 1st time in twenty years someone decided to try something new, amitriptyline. I've also suffered insomnia. My doctor suggested preventing migraines and treating insomnia with amitriptyline. I've had one flare up in the past 3 months and sleep soundly through the night! Amitripyline has caused weight gain but I am still healthy. I'll take the weight gain over the migraines any day!"

madarcey (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been suffering from migraines since I was 12 and getting them around 3 times a week. I am now 17. I was originally put on amitriptyline 10mg. Since then they would up my dosage by 10 mg until I found relief. For awhile 50mg was doing the trick plus it helped me sleep at night. But then the migraines came back. At one point I had 6 migraines in 3 days and I was put on steroids to stop the cycle. Now I'm taking 75mg every night. That was working until recently I started getting them again worse then ever before. Every time I get them I experience: weird vision loss, nausea, vomiting, lose feeling in arms/hands/mouth, excruciating pain all around my head. I have a lot of the side effects which make me question if I wanna take this anymore."

HMC02 July 10, 2014

For Insomnia: "I currently take 25mg and sleep just fine. Remember that lower dosages 25-50mg are for insomnia, the more you take you move into the antidepressant effects and become less effective for sleep. So 300mg isn't going to help your insomnia and may increase it."

dezeag5069 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 weeks and I want to hug the people who make this. I don't have those daily stomach aches. Hoping this stays working for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2014