User Reviews for Amitriptyline (Page 6)

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 747 medications

6.1
Pudendal Neuralgia 1 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 636 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Amitriptyline

For Migraine Prevention: "Had really bad migraines for years got worse with age I'm 48 now and a femail doctor has prescribed them 10 milg at first nothing changed but 3 months in I've had no migraine for nearly a month and half or even headaches and I'm not craving either feel great ."

Vivienne12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2015

For Pain: "After one year on this I haven't felt anything good or bad I took a vacation and forgot it at home and went without it for about three weeks and I didn't feel any different and when I told my doctor about this. If I could stop taking it he told me no I should take it before bedtime even if it does not do anything. So what gives ??"

jpplayz (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 7, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've had amitriptyline prescribed for insomnia, non restorative sleep and fatigue. Started at 10mg and now at 50mg. It does nothing at all for me so far."

Sucreetcreme June 7, 2015

For Insomnia: "Started this med 2 wks ago: 25mg oral at night for trouble sleeping. It takes about 3-4 hours before I feel tired and then feel totally drugged in the morning, similar to trazadone side effects. Tried taking it 3 hours before bed and it worked better but only stayed asleep about 2 hours at night then still drugged in the morning."

immune? (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I used to feel like I ate rocks/glass when I ate food. Now I feel Nothing! Amazing medication. I still has IBS/Gallbladder disease/food intolerances but I am a lot better on this medication!"

BellyWoes June 7, 2015

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on benzodiazepines for several years..unfortunately i had recently upped the dosage to 2 mg due to family stress and felt more depressed and panicking , craving for benzos... i then switched to amytriptiline, an unbelievable tiny dosage 2 mg, 1 drop a day..i have been taking it for aroind 10 days before going to bed... it helped a lot and i was able to discontinue benzos from day 1 (when i actually took 4 mg amytriptiline, 2 drops ,slept for 12 hours and woke up in the morning feeling...new, with a clear mind, no more tortured by anxiety and panick attacks.... i know this seems incredible at such a low dose... i m just wondering if this has a scientific explanation because im sure it is no placebo effect"

Mauve June 5, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I been having migraines since I had my daughter at age 22, I'm 38 now. I had migraine 2-4 times a week. I try a lot of migraine medications with really bad side affect. Then my migraine got worse because it was causing me vertigo. So when I got them together I was in bed 2-3 days. I was calling out a lot and I when to see a neurologist that prescriped me a beta blocker. Stop the medication because my bloodpressure was dropping a lot. Then my doctor prescribed me amitriptyline 10mg and my migraine are gone. Vertigo too. Don't be afraid to take it because you won't get dictated if you want to stop it won't give you any withdraw. I stop it last month to see how I was going to do without it and migraines are back. Just started again."

Asan38 June 4, 2015

For Insomnia: "I have had sleeping issues since a teenager and was finally diagnosed with Childhood Onset Insomnia. At times less than 1 hour total sleep a day for 3-4 days in a row. At the age of 42 my Dr prescribed Elavil (Amitriptlyne) and it changed my life. Its really cheap about $30 CDN per month, doesn't store in your fat cells and is non addictive. I take 50mg at around 9pm, fall asleep around 11 and get a great sleep straight through until 6-7am. No grogginess, some slight dry mouth. For me, it doesn't make me drowzy but it does help me stay asleep which was my problem- waking regularly through the night. Good, luck, hope it works for you as well as it has for me!"

Amnesiac (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 3, 2015

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Pain: "I was prescribed this after a severe TBI and broken neck, it was suppose to help my headaches. After about a week it turned me into a rapid cycling bipolar suicidal freak, one second driving singing happy, next second I was trying to swerve in front of a semi."

Kristara (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2015

For Pain: "I was prescribed this for vulvodynia after seeing 2 gynecologists with no clue what "disease" I "had". My third gynecologist put me on 25mg each night, after a year of experiencing excruciatingly painful intercourse for no apparent reason. After just 2 weeks, Amitriptyline successfully took away the pain! I'm so thankful for my gyno's knowledge of this drug and her shot into the dark on prescribing me this, despite it rarely being prescribed in an OBGYN clinic!"

Atsmi (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2015

For Depression: "Works great! Tried most antidepressants, this works the best for me. Dry mouth and constipation lessen over time but it is still quite sedating"

drm562 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "Used it for a month started at 10 mg-20 mg. One of the worst drugs I have used. It left me so sedated that I couldn't wake up in the morning and wanted to sleep all day. It helped with head aches but I couldn't concentrate, felt overly emotional, crying and angry. I found it hard to drive from lack of focus 18 hours after taking pill. I had a deep sleep, but not a restful one, the dreams were bizarre. Dry mouth and irritable too. Not worth not having a headache to have all of these problems. I am very sensitive to medication as I don't drink so it was not for me. Oh and I gained three pounds in first two weeks using it."

JJ85 (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2015

For Insomnia: "After trying many different anti-depressants and sleep aids with little to no results, my doctor put me on 75mg of Amitriptyline for severe postpartum depression and anxiety with insomnia. This was the miracle I needed. I sleep really well now am back to my happy,healthy self. I have dry mouth as a side effect, but I have learned to chew gum and use biotene at bed time. This regimen has made that one side effect tolerable and I don't mind it, considering what this medicine has done for me. I workout regularly and watch what I eat so I have not experienced any weight gain."

Trisha V. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2015

For Pain: "I was put on Amitriptyline 25mg. at Mayo Clinic in 1983. After a through work up they thought I had MS, but then gave the diagnosis of Neuropathy pain. At this time I'm taking 50mg. @ bed time, which has been the only thing that works. I'm able to sleep w/o pain. Now I just tried to refill the prescription and the cost is $219.00 for 180 pills. The last time filled 12/2014 $16.00/180 pills. Even tho this is a Generic why the higher cost?? Just can't afford it anymore. Don't know what I'm going to do. Have tried Tegratol, Cymbalta and many others, NOTHING ELSE WORKS."

Glitzylady May 8, 2015

For Depression: "I feel way better on Elavil than cymbalta. I'm back to being Me ,not a grumpy stressed monster. I'm going to call my Dr to personally thank him for switching me."

kurt H May 5, 2015

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "I started amitriptyline about 5 or 6 years ago. It was a miracle drug. But it has stopped working in the last 2 months. I've been in the ER 5 times in 2 months. 2 episodes fell on a day I had wakes to go to, and missed them due to CVS. Has anyone had success with any other medications? I am desperate for a new med before I loose my job!!!!"

Sharon Downs April 28, 2015

For Pain: "Dr. started me on Endep 2 months ago for chronic pain in the long bones caused by side effects from Chronic Myaloid Leukaemia medication. It's the first time in nine years that I have felt "almost" normal! It makes me tired so I take it at night. The only drawback is dry mouth and loss of taste. The taste thing is driving me up the wall, and I don't know that I can live with it. So now I have to weigh up the pros & cons of living without tasting my food, or living without pain."

qcathy April 26, 2015

For Depression: "I have been on this anti-depressant for many years and while it has helped me to sleep, I have had really bad tinnitus, so I won't be taking it again."

moggilicious (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had IBS since I can remember as a child I thought it was a normal thing cause I've had it all my life. I'm in my 20's now and a few years ago is when my ibs got out of control. I've had many medical visits to the ER for my ibs pain and boy let me tell you the pain is unimaginable. I even contemplated suicide yes I was in that much pain and suffering after many failed attempts from different medications I did my extensive research and pretty much told my doctor that I wanted to try this medication im on 25mg this medication is a miracle why have these doctors been hiding this medication from ibs suffers iam now pain free and I can live my life with my family and enjoy every minute of it please try this medication it does wonders"

david c. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have been taking amitriptyline for 3 months now - I take 10mg morning and night due to how severe my irritable bowel syndrome is. I can eat everything now and have no side effects - I used to have diarrhea, bloating, stomach cramps & bad gas every time I ate gluten, dairy, spicy foods, onion, garlic and coffee (I've suffered from IBS for 8 years) This medicine has changed my life."

kellyratkovic291284 April 14, 2015

For Insomnia: "For me, this is/was a very effective hypnotic. It literally saved my life when I had lost my ability to sleep due to a damaged CNS. I started off at 25 mgs per night and eventually increased my dosage up to 50 mgs per night. Over time I was able to cut my dosage down to ~6 1/4 mgs per night before moving on to a more desirable hypnotic. The biggest down side is its anticholinergic effects...nothing like waking up with a mouth full of sand."

Am-I-tripping-Yet (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

For Insomnia: "I tried many of them. Amitriptyline worked the best. I only took up to 20mg."

tricyclics April 11, 2015

For Pain: "Been on amitriptyline for 2 weeks for nerve pain after shingles. It has reduced discomfort from an 8 to a 3 most days. I take 10 mg at night and other than some grogginess the first 3-4 days, no side effects. I sleep well on it too."

Hudsongrl April 9, 2015

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had stomach problem since 2009. I am not going into detail cause no one is interested in my entire experience with IBS. I should say that due to IBS I had to quit university, part time job and worse of all the woman I have been with since many years left me. So I went from being one of the most social people to being one of the most lonely people. A doctor one day wrote me a script for "amitriptyline" I don't need to explain how it effected not only on my stomach but it has brought a great change in my life as a whole, it was just spot on!"

javadhikmati (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

For Insomnia: "Very effective in treating chronic insomnia with very few, minor side effects!"

Fat Dave (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015