User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Cough 1 reviews 741 medications

Pudendal Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Amitriptyline reviews 414 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Amitriptyline

Review by ShirMason:

For Anxiety and Stress: I have never been able to take any kind of antidepressant comfortably. I was put on Elavil to start, at 50mg after three months was raised to 100mg always taken at night of course. I was pretty depressed about several issues in my life, not the least of which was the fact my father was dying/died. I also take meds for anxiety/panic disorder, as well as pain, I was disabled before 1994, when I was hit by two cars; already disabled, this made the pain from fibromyalgia worse as well as messed up my spine and neck, etc. Now when I run out of the small amount of the anti-anxiety medicines, I don't have a meltdown like before. I do get sleepy, miss the tail end of movies I want to see, I have the dry mouth yes, however the trade off is worth it.

June 17, 2013 10:49 PM

Review by 41rice (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Interstitial Cystitis: Actually I started taking it for severe nerve pain in my neck and I have Interstitial Cystitis as well since taking it I have had great success with the management of pain. I have gained 35 lbs while being on the medication, but sometimes you have no choice. Hands down give me a life without pain and suffering with 35 extra lbs. I will gladly take poundage over pain any day.

June 11, 2013 10:22 PM

Review by muziktcher (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: Had panic and anxiety every day - was non-functional. Started taking this medicine 2 years ago and it saved me, gave me my life back. Now my doctor wants me to try to wean off to see how I do. I'm taking only 10 mg per day before bed, but even trying to cut it back slightly makes me feel jittery and slightly anxious. Am going to try to stay the course and see what happens. Perhaps it would be easier to just stay on the med, but I know long-term it's not good. So, we will see what happens.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2013 2:14 PM

Review by Lady Caution:

For Interstitial Cystitis: I began on Amitriptyline about three years ago I think? Started at 25 mgs with the option of increasing to 50 mgs for bladder Interstitial Cystitis. Because of weight gain I stayed mostly at 25 mgs nightly rather than increase the dose. But recently I have increased my dose back up to 50mgs. It is helping with the pelvic and bladder pain associated with Interstitial Cystitis at about 65 percent. It is not though helping with the frequency of urination around the clock as for so many years. But the relief with my abdominal and bladder discomfort is improving at present. For me that is a God send. My other medical and health challenges I am plugging away at.

June 7, 2013 8:46 PM

Review by TheyReallyWorked:

For Insomnia: I have to say this medicine was a lifesaver for me, and I do not use the term lightly. Before I took these tablets I had got to the point where I thought NOTHING could help me and every sleepless night was a living hell. These tablets finally allowed me to sleep but also had a true restorative effect on my depleted brain which carried over to the next day. I know there are side effects, especially on a higher dose, but these side effects were worth it for the benefits they gave me. I know it's hard but amitriptyline can give you a crutch to lean on and please don't dismiss them. If they can help me, and I was really at the end of the line, they can help somebody else.

150 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2013 5:39 PM

Review by megustamex:

For Migraine Prevention: Amazing medicine. I had migraines for 20 years and they had worsened to twice a week with no relief from Axert, which had worked relatively well in the past. I tried Topamax and experienced horrible mood swings, anger and hyperactivity. Went on Amitriptyline and gradually moved up to 50mg as it wasn't fully effective at lower doses. Once I reached 50mg my migraines went down to twice a month. Even better, the Axert works much more effectively when I do have a migraine. I had dry mouth early on but this went away. The only other side effect is occasional dizziness when I stand up (but this only happens about once a week and clears after a few seconds), which is common on this medicine. It has totally changed my life.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 31, 2013 12:59 AM

Review by Jake v (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine Prevention: When I was a child I suffered severe migraines almost every day. I would have to lay in a dark room and most times they would be so bad I would vomit. After running extensive tests doctors decided to put me on amitriptyline. I can't recall the exact dosage but I was on it for a couple years. It worked like a charm and I get probably 1 or 2 migraines a month. Wonderful medicine!

May 29, 2013 10:38 PM

Review by Jody108:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I am not much of a prescriptions type person but I tried this medicine and at 50mg each night. WOW! I am feeling normal for the first time in 20 years. My insane thirst and aches are gone (most days). The side effects are severe constipation and all my old injuries are flaring up. I don't mind though. I'd rather not have bowel movements and a bad ankle than Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

May 22, 2013 11:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Anxiety and Stress: Tried SSRI antidepressants for two years. No relief until took this medicine.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2013 10:34 PM

Review by Momof3inSpokane:

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I am not speaking from personal experience, but for my 12 year old son. He started having stomach issues about 2 years ago. His symptoms included bloating, gas pains, constipation, and diarrhea. Sometimes the stomach pains would keep him up at night, unable to sleep. We monitored his diet, and found that removing dairy helped, but did not eliminate the problem. We, along with doctors determined he suffered from Irritable Bowel Syndrome. A pediatric GI doctor recommended trying amitriptyline. He started with a 10 mg dose each night which seemed to help. After several months the dose was upped to 20 mg/night. It has made a significant difference! He sleeps well each night, and has not had a significant painful IBS flare up in almost a year!

May 17, 2013 2:37 AM

Review by Phinter (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I have been on Amitriptyline HCL 25 mg at bedtime for less than one week and wake up groggy for about 20 minutes. I fall asleep but will wake up at least twice during the night but I will fall back to sleep. And talk about the vivid and wild dreams which I have never experienced before! I think I am very sensitive to this type of medicine.

May 13, 2013 5:48 PM

Review by BRAGS:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Vulvodynia: Use of Elavil has not lessened the pain associated with vulvodynia (or nerve ending pain), but it seems I can tolerate it more. But I notice that my throat gets very dry and my voice is hoarse. Also I have been diagnosed with dry eye, and I do feel that is caused by the Elavil (along with dry mouth and throat).

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2013 10:49 AM

Review by MadbabetteVery (taken for less than 1 month):

For Interstitial Cystitis: After years of getting up over two times a night sometimes 7 times, and having my sleeping pill cut in 1/2, a new primary care Dr. Recommended amitriptyline 25 mg, and last night I slept, and did get up only 1 time. So far, it's great. I hope others hear about this.

May 2, 2013 11:11 PM

Review by Migraine82:

For Migraine Prevention: Works great to control my migraines it cut the frequency in half. Before starting this medication I would suffer migraines 3-4x/week. And the days that I didn't have a migraine, I still felt "foggy". However after only 6 weeks on it I gained 30 lbs, had urinary retention.

April 21, 2013 2:15 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: After I had kids I started getting migraines. I've had them for over 5 yrs. I started taking this medication and I've been on them for a little over a month. The first few days (2 or 3) I slept like a rock. I even felt weird like I was in a dream. Those side effects went away after the third day. I haven't had 1 migraine since I started taking this medication, and I'm able to sleep through the night too. I would recommend this to anyone with migraines.

April 19, 2013 2:22 AM

Review by Bugsybooboo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine Prevention: After 20 years of migraine suffering I went private and was prescribed Amitriptyline 10mg. I took these for 5 months and barely had a headache never mind migraine. I got dry mouth and my sleeping improved also. However after 5 months the migraines have started to come back so I increased the dosage to 20-25mg, again the first few weeks I noticed the dry mouth and disturbed sleeping but this has not settled down again and migraine free. It's the best medicine I've ever had and had also helped with my neck and arm pain. I couldn't recommend it enough, a lifesaver.

April 8, 2013 6:06 AM

Review by wendee18:

For Migraine Prevention: I have taken this medication for six years and it has really helped with my migraines and my inability to sleep or stay asleep. I started off at 10mg and slowly increased to 50mg and have been on the same dosage for the past four. The only downside is my absolute need to take it at the same time every night in order for it to make me sleepy otherwise I can stay up the entire night if I take it later than 9pm.

April 7, 2013 10:06 PM

Review by lilrif1 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Anxiety and Stress: I've been on it for 4 years and it does much more for my bipolar and extreme anxiety, then it does for my pain. I am now taking 50mg morning and 100mg evening. The new increase at night does seem to make my sleep a lot less uncomfortable and broken up.

April 1, 2013 12:20 PM

Review by Foges (taken for less than 1 month):

Endep (amitriptyline) for Pain: 10mg used to provide a pain free nights sleep. I have a pinched sciatic nerve. After cortizone injection under general anesthetic I experienced cramps that disturbed my sleep. This medicine is now giving me a good nights sleep and I wake refreshed in the morning.

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2013 8:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: Began having Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome in November 2012. Hospitalized several times. We also found that I have a vestibular issue causing me to throw up. That has resolved but left with this CVS. I started taking this medication about 3 weeks ago and I think it helps. Started 30mg dose and had an episode so increasing to 40mg and holding, if I get sick I can increase to 50mg. I am struggling with anxiety, which I had before this all started. Increase anxiety to severe state as I never know if this vomiting thing is going to come back. Overall, it works. Side effects are not bad at all. Anxiety is almost unbearable, which is not a side effect of this medication. I think it is a side effect of having CVS.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2013 6:53 PM

Review by Cssprings:

For Interstitial Cystitis: Really changed my life. Was suffering from my Interstitial Cystitis for months when my doctor finally prescribed this. Rarely feel pain (unless I go the tomato or citrus route), sleep all through the night, and I'm generally in a better mood. Gaining a little weight but definitely worth it.

March 9, 2013 5:54 PM

Review by CP343434:

Elavil (amitriptyline) for Insomnia: I was put on Elavil to treat sleep deprivation and for pain relief. Took it for four days. It did not help with the pain and it kept me up instead of putting me to sleep. For the first two days I slept for maybe 3 hours total (slept for one hour, woke up for about an hour, fell asleep for an hour, up again, etc.) then the last two days I went for two days straight with no sleep. Very frustrating.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2013 8:16 AM

Review by Spy girl:

For Migraine Prevention: Had severe migraines for years, recently I started using Amitriptyline 25 mg and so far has worked wonderful.

February 28, 2013 10:53 PM

Review by Nemo1210:

For Pain: Hello, I would like to share my positive experience of taking Amytriptyline as it has truly helped save my life. I was prescribed this for acute and chronic pains in my legs which were also affecting my sleep. The pain was like searing stabbing pain. I was also suicidal. I was started on amitriptyline 10mg and was also told it would help with my other myriad of symptoms - Irritable Bowel Syndrome, weak bladder, insomnia, anxiety, etc. At first, it caused numbness in my fingers and toes and on waking and going to the bathroom I had dizzy spells, my vision was a bit weird. The doctor told me to half my dose to 5mg and although it took a few months, I gradually started to feel better and all of my symptoms improved. I hope to gradually take less so I am not dependent forever.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2013 6:43 AM

Review by Pete Haldi:

For Migraine Prevention: I had 3 to 4 migraines a week and was sleeping very badly. 2 weeks into taking amitriptylne and the migraine gone. I'm sleeping at least 7 hours a night too. I don't know if this will last, but it's working brilliantly at the moment. The initial tiredness side effect stopped 1 week in.

February 21, 2013 2:46 PM