User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Review Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Depression

"Works great! Tried most antidepressants, this works the best for me. Dry mouth and constipation lessen over time but it is still quite sedating"

drm562 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2015

"I feel way better on Elavil than cymbalta. I'm back to being Me ,not a grumpy stressed monster. I'm going to call my Dr to personally thank him for switching me."

kurt H May 5, 2015

"I have been on this anti-depressant for many years and while it has helped me to sleep, I have had really bad tinnitus, so I won't be taking it again."

moggilicious (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2015

"I've had severe anxiety my whole life paired with depression and bipolar disorder. Ever since I was a child, I've had chronic migraines and headaches, especially at ages where I just shouldn't be having them. My doctor prescribed me this to calm me down and help stabilize my brain activity, so as to halt the anxiety and depression he thought was causing my headaches and migraines. The pill worked fine after the first few doses, but I guess my body developed a tolerance. Now, when I don't take it, I'm extremely nervous and my depressive tendencies skyrocket. My headaches and migraines never went away. I feel that this pull had a negative effect on me rather than actually helping, and I will be consulting my doctor for something else."

klsheuns (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2015

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I'm 16 years old and I started taking Zoloft for depression about a year ago. I started off at 25mg then 50mg and things still didn't seem to be "right." I was constantly sick and throwing up, and I just felt like it wasn't working. So they bumped me up to 75mg of Zoloft, and then to 100mg. For my body and age, 100mg was a lot for me to take but it finally made me feel better. I wasn't as down, but I had awful side affects. I couldn't sleep, eat, or do anything but lay in bed and I had awful migraines. I was so sick of changing meds but I couldn't deal with being this sick so on top of the Zoloft I was prescribed Elavil. It was like night and day. Helped me sleep and took all my side effects away!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 4, 2014

"I take this for Bipolar disoder 2, with severe depressive episodes. Helps tremendously for my depression symptoms, as well as aiding in controlling mood swings along with a mood stabilizer. Helps with insomnia tremendously. Sometimes the daytime sedation can last a long time at higher doses, and you'll probably get dry mouth, constipation, or blurry vision/dizziness, at least at first. This medication works great for a lot of people when other things fail, just be aware that the trade off is that some annoying side effects are fairly common. Myself, the benefits far outweigh the negatives."

BUTT SACK (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 22, 2014

"My husband has bi-polar disorder and suffers from chronic back / sciatic work-related pain. He'd only been (restlessly) sleeping 2-3 hours a night for past 10 years. This had increased his mood swings and cyclothymia to unmanageable proportions!! UK doctor prescribed 10mg amitriptyline, to be taken at night 2 hours before bed. After two weeks this was increased to 20mg per night. The effect has been nothing short of miraculous. He sleeps really well for 7-8 hours a night, wakes refreshed & cheerful. It's helped him cope differently with depression - staying calm & getting CBT therapy. (Something he'd never have volunteered for in his 'normal' bi-polar anger / depression cycling). Has also noticed lessening of pain. It's saved our marriage."

Dear Old Dad (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2014

"I'm taking this more as a mood stabilizer. The medicine has caused my tongue to be sore, excessive dry lips, mouth and throat. It has help with my mood though. I can't take this medicine anymore. I'm contacting my doctor for some other medication."

camsgram (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2014

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Unable to urinate."

cornix December 13, 2013

"I was one of those people who thought nothing would work for me - I was too far gone and beyond help. Restless, sleepless nights and all the anxiety and depression were killing me. And then I found Amitriptyline. At last.....Sleep. That's all that mattered to begin with. You simply cannot underestimate the power of sleep. During the day I felt far less agitated and less stressed. Of course life can still throw slings and arrows your way and there are side effects for sure but none as bad as the frazzled state I was in before I took them."

It Works (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 26, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My previous doctor put me on 10 mg to try and help me sleep but it stopped working. My new doctor increased it to 35mg( 25mg and 10mg). I don't fall asleep right away but I do sleep and have a good nights sleep. I feel better in general, not moody like I used to be. Along with anxiety I must have had mild depression. I had side effects of a dry mouth but that has gone away."

BBeeeeeeeeeeee October 8, 2013

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I suffer an array of chronic pain / low back and leg issues - My doctor, after many failed attempts of finding the right medication for me, used this in conjunction with the muscle relaxant Robaxin and in the first three days there was notable significant relief of virtually all pain. I continue to take 75mg twice a day and I feel like I have my life back again. This medicine has been a blessing."

Brando.24 July 17, 2013

"I was really depressed.... This helped"

Bob Mcculey (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2013

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I have been on Elavil for depression for 20 years. I did have some problem with not remembering that I had told someone something already. This has gotten better as I made a conscious effort to remember things. I still have some problems with memory in forgetting where I put things. The best thing that happened is I have not had a headache in 20 years. I used to have bad headaches 2-3 times a week so this has been well worth putting up with side-effects."

Cat cat (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2013

"I was having bad headaches, and recently stopped taking Zoloft, it didn't work. This helped a lot with the headaches, and helped me to sleep better. I starting having more vivid dreams while sleeping. This is the best antidepressant I've taken. I didn't even know it was an antidepressant till I looked it up. As I swore never to take antidepressants again but it helped with the headaches, so I guess I will just keep taking this magic pill. I wish I was prescribed this years sooner!"

Sad Sack January 23, 2013

"Felt a bit groggy at first but now I'm good! Mood swings cut way down now that I'm sleeping!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2012

"I started this medicine just last week and have already had a complete personality change for the better. I didn't even realize how bad my depression was until I got rid of it. I didn't think any medication would work, let alone so quickly. This medication has planted the seed of a thought in my head: there is always hope!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2012

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I've taken Elavil for 14 yrs for irritable bowel syndrome and depression. I suffered with IBS for 5 yrs and had every test possible and even had my gallbladder removed. It really makes me sleep but after taking it the 1st night, I KNEW it was the magic medicine for my irritable bowel syndrome. As long as I take 25mg each night, I have zero irritable bowel symptoms. It saved my life."

KLOQWEST October 28, 2011

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I just got my prescription filled for the 3rd time and wanted to write a review to help others. I was so scared to take this after having a bad experience with Zoloft. I remember coming here and reading all the reviews and still didn't take the medicines prescribed until a month later. The first two weeks I was so tired and had extreme dry mouth. I thought I would have to quit because I was so tired and couldn't work. I had two weeks off between Christmas and the New Year and decided to stick with it. I'm so glad I did. I feel like myself again and with zero side effects now except for when I don't take it for a few days. If I ever do come off, I will ween slowly. I was also so scared to gain weight which, thankfully, didn't happen. Love it!"

LLTLLTLLTLLT34 September 20, 2011

184 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Amitriptyline helped to get rid of depression, insomnia, anxiety/stress and tension headaches, at 75 mg dose. I've BPD and I also take Depakote and Fluanxol to stabilize my mood swings."

qweeerty February 23, 2011

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Since going back to this med, my morning tiredness is gone, as well as weakness in general. I love it."

Dormarie January 29, 2011

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Have tried many others: zoloft, citalopram, nortriptyline. Other than side effects this medicine works great. Just have to be careful with the sedative properties."

Anonymous January 19, 2011

"I have been depressed and not getting sleep at all. After I had my first baby I took Xanax didn't help finally I told my doctor I need some medicine at least for sleep and he prescribed Elavil and it works for all of my symptoms, depression, anxiety and I sleep like a baby. 50mg at bedtime, try it - it is old medicine but it helps."

Eelam December 28, 2010

"I used this medication in '94/'95 and in '97/'98 to treat major depressive episodes. It was the first antidepressant I ever tried, and it worked wonders the first time I used it. I could sleep and eat again, depression was gone within 2-3 weeks, no side effects. I was given amitriptyline again in '97/'98 after months of trying several newer anti-depressants which doctors were convinced would be better, even though I told them amitriptyline had worked for me previously. It worked very well then too, but I developed side effects (irregular heart rhythm.) I chose to take beta blockers along with amitriptyline so I could complete the course of treatment."

Anonymous May 26, 2010

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Happy thoughts once again."

Philgood December 1, 2009