User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Depression

"Drug worked like a miracle on anxiety and depression - BUT, it made my ears ring and caused hearing loss. NOW more depressed than ever. 75 mg for 6 days and ear went numb. Nightmare scenario and I'm living it."

Tinnitusfromthis March 2, 2016

"I used Tryptanol 20 years ago and found that this med worked for me. After trying so many other anti-depressant medications and I have found that I am always have to increase them, then they work for a while and then I have to increase the meds again. I recently went on Endep and I could notice a difference in a few days. I chose to go back on these meds. It wasn't the Dr's suggestion. I'm so glad I went back on these :) The only side effects I have noticed is a dry mouth."

Bright Star13 February 29, 2016

"Have been on this drug for almost 3 weeks. Started out on 25 MG and am currently taking 50 mg. Helped tremendously with much needed sleep. Make sure to be in bed when the medicine kicks in. You will sleep a long time but to me it's worth it! I've seen small improvements. Believe it's causing me to be pretty dizzy. Will give it time though! Will update later on.I am very glad my Dr tried this type of antidepressant. Been on lexapro, zoloft, cymbalta, and wellbrution. I believe they just aren't as strong as the older antidepressants. Good luck to you. Hold on even if you feel like there is no hope left!!!!!"

Redhead1967 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I've tried about every medication out there for my anxiety and depression; welbutrin Zoloft Paxil , Cymbalta, Emsam, Xanax , etc.. At 75mg Elavil helped me sleep, I had more energy, I didn't feel restless, and I rarely got upset. I thought I had found the perfect cure until I started to gain weight. I decreased my calorie intake increased my exercise and the weight just kept coming. In 4 months I had gained 26 pounds. I also started to such severe dry mouth my throat was dry and my voice was hoarse, I also started to have blurred vision. I really like this medicine but know if I can handle the side effects."

Perfect, (except weight gain) (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2015

"Diagnosed with depression/anxiety 10 years ago. Have practically been on every SSRI, SNRI, Seroquel, ALL kinds of benzos (do NOT recommend- highly addictive!) I felt so frustrated that none of the anti-depressants were working for me and avoided tricyclics for fear of weight gain. Last week I finally realised that I need serious help as I was planning suicide. I'm back on 100mg endep and 25mg Seroquel if needed at night. I sleep fantastic, wake up feeling so refreshed. Sleeping makes a HUGE difference, and the funny thing is now that I'm feeling good, I'm out of bed and exercising. I know it's scary to think about weight gain but it really is different for everyone and it's worth a shot! Endep's been the only one for me. Good luck!"

OrcaLuna (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2015

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Elavil works in my case as a pain killer/anti depressant. I does have some cons that I was not warned about. I was told by my doctor to take 150mg before bed so I did as told and woke up only when my wife shook me for a second I would eat and go right back to sleep this happened for the first 24 hours the next I had no choice but to stay awake. being awake I had problems with balance and depth perception. my mind was racing with what felt like hundreds of thoughts. my ability to speak was reduced to short sentences. it felt like my jaw was not moving fast enough to make more than a few sentences. after taking that dosage down from 150mg to 37.5mg I am able to speak clearly but my mind is still a little foggy. and the back pain is not as bad"

Indigenous Soldier (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2015

"Not recommending this, on 25mg, knocked me out for 12 hours and groggy for the next 12 hours. Cut pill into quarters and still had strong effect causing groggyness all of next day. Went to trazadone, which is perfect for me."

Pk721 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

"I am an ex heroin user and currently been on a methadone programme for fifteen years I'm on propranalol for anxiety and chlorpromazine 50 mgs for psychotic episodes also on serequel 200mg day 250 mg at night my psychiatrist put me on amitriptyline 50mgs for depression and really bad anxiety I haven't felt so good in years get a great nights sleep and I take it during day helps anxiety attacks I was constipated really bad for years and now I can go every day excellent results for me"

sac32 Scotland girl October 31, 2015

Endep (amitriptyline): "I was on 75mg of Endep & noticed 2 extreme side effects which lead to me having to stop taking the medication. The first was rapid & excessive weight gain; I gained 6 kgs (13 pounds) within 8 weeks (at 160cm, this is quite a bit of weight). I had no change in my diet, my exercise stayed the same, so the Endep was the only thing that could have caused the weight gain. The second was extreme Night Terrors. These occurred every night & were extremely frightening for myself & family, as I would wake up screaming & kicking every night. This occurred almost immediately after starting the Endep. Since stopping the Endep 2 weeks ago, the Night Terrors have ceased completely, & I have lost 1kg with no change in diet."

affff (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2015

"i have suffered for many, many years with major depressive disorder among others I have tried way too many different drugs to alleviate my symptoms. While most meds helped to some degree it was rather like putting a bandaid on a hemorrhaging aorta. Since I have started on only 25 mg of amitriptyline my life has turned around. I feel like my old self. I never dreamed i would have the opportunity to feel so "normal". The years were flying by and I thought my lot in life was to get by with my bandaid firmly affixed. Now I am strong emotionally and whatever has come down the pike has not paralyzed my being. I am thrilled and grateful that my Psych let me try this. At 69 (and a half) i truly have a new lease on the rest of my life. "

Calamity Jane September 22, 2015

"I have been suffering from depression almost all my life. Ive been on several different medications though out the last 10 years. I ended up with peripheral neuropathy last year and was sent to a neurologist, he put me on amitriptyline for the burning and he also said it will help with insomnia and my depression. I absolutely am happy with this drug!!! Better then Prozac, I still have feelings.(lol). Anyhow if you r debating on this medication, I recommend it 100 percent. I take 100mg a couple hours before bed, unless I get upset during the day,(then ill take 25mg just to take the edge off.) Then I'll just take 75 mgs before bed,"

wonder drug! (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 20, 2015

"Works great! Tried most antidepressants, this works the best for me. Dry mouth and constipation lessen over time but it is still quite sedating"

drm562 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2015

"I feel way better on Elavil than cymbalta. I'm back to being Me ,not a grumpy stressed monster. I'm going to call my Dr to personally thank him for switching me."

kurt H May 5, 2015

"I have been on this anti-depressant for many years and while it has helped me to sleep, I have had really bad tinnitus, so I won't be taking it again."

moggilicious (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 20, 2015

"I've had severe anxiety my whole life paired with depression and bipolar disorder. Ever since I was a child, I've had chronic migraines and headaches, especially at ages where I just shouldn't be having them. My doctor prescribed me this to calm me down and help stabilize my brain activity, so as to halt the anxiety and depression he thought was causing my headaches and migraines. The pill worked fine after the first few doses, but I guess my body developed a tolerance. Now, when I don't take it, I'm extremely nervous and my depressive tendencies skyrocket. My headaches and migraines never went away. I feel that this pull had a negative effect on me rather than actually helping, and I will be consulting my doctor for something else."

klsheuns (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2015

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I'm 16 years old and I started taking Zoloft for depression about a year ago. I started off at 25mg then 50mg and things still didn't seem to be "right." I was constantly sick and throwing up, and I just felt like it wasn't working. So they bumped me up to 75mg of Zoloft, and then to 100mg. For my body and age, 100mg was a lot for me to take but it finally made me feel better. I wasn't as down, but I had awful side affects. I couldn't sleep, eat, or do anything but lay in bed and I had awful migraines. I was so sick of changing meds but I couldn't deal with being this sick so on top of the Zoloft I was prescribed Elavil. It was like night and day. Helped me sleep and took all my side effects away!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 4, 2014

"I take this for Bipolar disoder 2, with severe depressive episodes. Helps tremendously for my depression symptoms, as well as aiding in controlling mood swings along with a mood stabilizer. Helps with insomnia tremendously. Sometimes the daytime sedation can last a long time at higher doses, and you'll probably get dry mouth, constipation, or blurry vision/dizziness, at least at first. This medication works great for a lot of people when other things fail, just be aware that the trade off is that some annoying side effects are fairly common. Myself, the benefits far outweigh the negatives."

BUTT SACK (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 22, 2014

"My husband has bi-polar disorder and suffers from chronic back / sciatic work-related pain. He'd only been (restlessly) sleeping 2-3 hours a night for past 10 years. This had increased his mood swings and cyclothymia to unmanageable proportions!! UK doctor prescribed 10mg amitriptyline, to be taken at night 2 hours before bed. After two weeks this was increased to 20mg per night. The effect has been nothing short of miraculous. He sleeps really well for 7-8 hours a night, wakes refreshed & cheerful. It's helped him cope differently with depression - staying calm & getting CBT therapy. (Something he'd never have volunteered for in his 'normal' bi-polar anger / depression cycling). Has also noticed lessening of pain. It's saved our marriage."

Dear Old Dad (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2014

"I'm taking this more as a mood stabilizer. The medicine has caused my tongue to be sore, excessive dry lips, mouth and throat. It has help with my mood though. I can't take this medicine anymore. I'm contacting my doctor for some other medication."

camsgram (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2014

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Unable to urinate."

cornix December 13, 2013

"I was one of those people who thought nothing would work for me - I was too far gone and beyond help. Restless, sleepless nights and all the anxiety and depression were killing me. And then I found Amitriptyline. At last.....Sleep. That's all that mattered to begin with. You simply cannot underestimate the power of sleep. During the day I felt far less agitated and less stressed. Of course life can still throw slings and arrows your way and there are side effects for sure but none as bad as the frazzled state I was in before I took them."

It Works (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 26, 2013

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My previous doctor put me on 10 mg to try and help me sleep but it stopped working. My new doctor increased it to 35mg( 25mg and 10mg). I don't fall asleep right away but I do sleep and have a good nights sleep. I feel better in general, not moody like I used to be. Along with anxiety I must have had mild depression. I had side effects of a dry mouth but that has gone away."

BBeeeeeeeeeeee October 8, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I suffer an array of chronic pain / low back and leg issues - My doctor, after many failed attempts of finding the right medication for me, used this in conjunction with the muscle relaxant Robaxin and in the first three days there was notable significant relief of virtually all pain. I continue to take 75mg twice a day and I feel like I have my life back again. This medicine has been a blessing."

Brando.24 July 17, 2013

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was really depressed.... This helped"

Bob Mcculey (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2013

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I have been on Elavil for depression for 20 years. I did have some problem with not remembering that I had told someone something already. This has gotten better as I made a conscious effort to remember things. I still have some problems with memory in forgetting where I put things. The best thing that happened is I have not had a headache in 20 years. I used to have bad headaches 2-3 times a week so this has been well worth putting up with side-effects."

Cat cat (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate