User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Depression

Review by cornix: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline): Unable to urinate.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 13, 2013 5:34 PM
Review by It Works (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

amitriptyline: I was one of those people who thought nothing would work for me - I was too far gone and beyond help. Restless, sleepless nights and all the anxiety and depression were killing me. And then I found Amitriptyline. At last.....Sleep. That's all that mattered to begin with. You simply cannot underestimate the power of sleep. During the day I felt far less agitated and less stressed. Of course life can still throw slings and arrows your way and there are side effects for sure but none as bad as the frazzled state I was in before I took them.

October 26, 2013 9:22 AM
Review by BBeeeeeeeeeeee: User Rating:

amitriptyline: My previous doctor put me on 10 mg to try and help me sleep but it stopped working. My new doctor increased it to 35mg( 25mg and 10mg). I don't fall asleep right away but I do sleep and have a good nights sleep. I feel better in general, not moody like I used to be. Along with anxiety I must have had mild depression. I had side effects of a dry mouth but that has gone away.

October 8, 2013 10:34 AM
Review by Brando.24: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline): I suffer an array of chronic pain / low back and leg issues - My doctor, after many failed attempts of finding the right medication for me, used this in conjunction with the muscle relaxant Robaxin and in the first three days there was notable significant relief of virtually all pain. I continue to take 75mg twice a day and I feel like I have my life back again. This medicine has been a blessing.

July 17, 2013 2:49 AM
Review by Bob Mcculey (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

amitriptyline: I was really depressed.... This helped

July 13, 2013 11:51 PM
Review by Cat cat (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline): I have been on Elavil for depression for 20 years. I did have some problem with not remembering that I had told someone something already. This has gotten better as I made a conscious effort to remember things. I still have some problems with memory in forgetting where I put things. The best thing that happened is I have not had a headache in 20 years. I used to have bad headaches 2-3 times a week so this has been well worth putting up with side-effects.

July 8, 2013 11:03 AM
Review by Sad Sack: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I was having bad headaches, and recently stopped taking Zoloft, it didn't work. This helped a lot with the headaches, and helped me to sleep better. I starting having more vivid dreams while sleeping. This is the best antidepressant I've taken. I didn't even know it was an antidepressant till I looked it up. As I swore never to take antidepressants again but it helped with the headaches, so I guess I will just keep taking this magic pill. I wish I was prescribed this years sooner!

January 23, 2013 7:00 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

amitriptyline: Felt a bit groggy at first but now I'm good! Mood swings cut way down now that I'm sleeping!

August 8, 2012 3:36 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

amitriptyline: I started this medicine just last week and have already had a complete personality change for the better. I didn't even realize how bad my depression was until I got rid of it. I didn't think any medication would work, let alone so quickly. This medication has planted the seed of a thought in my head: there is always hope!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 2, 2012 7:17 PM
Review by KLOQWEST: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline): I've taken Elavil for 14 yrs for irritable bowel syndrome and depression. I suffered with IBS for 5 yrs and had every test possible and even had my gallbladder removed. It really makes me sleep but after taking it the 1st night, I KNEW it was the magic medicine for my irritable bowel syndrome. As long as I take 25mg each night, I have zero irritable bowel symptoms. It saved my life.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 28, 2011 11:00 PM
Review by LLTLLTLLTLLT34: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline): I just got my prescription filled for the 3rd time and wanted to write a review to help others. I was so scared to take this after having a bad experience with Zoloft. I remember coming here and reading all the reviews and still didn't take the medicines prescribed until a month later. The first two weeks I was so tired and had extreme dry mouth. I thought I would have to quit because I was so tired and couldn't work. I had two weeks off between Christmas and the New Year and decided to stick with it. I'm so glad I did. I feel like myself again and with zero side effects now except for when I don't take it for a few days. If I ever do come off, I will ween slowly. I was also so scared to gain weight which, thankfully, didn't happen. Love it!

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 20, 2011 11:56 AM
Review by qweeerty: User Rating:

amitriptyline: Amitriptyline helped to get rid of depression, insomnia, anxiety/stress and tension headaches, at 75 mg dose. I've BPD and I also take Depakote and Fluanxol to stabilize my mood swings.

February 23, 2011 8:44 AM
Review by Dormarie: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline): Since going back to this med, my morning tiredness is gone, as well as weakness in general. I love it.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 29, 2011 11:54 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline): Have tried many others: zoloft, citalopram, nortriptyline. Other than side effects this medicine works great. Just have to be careful with the sedative properties.

January 19, 2011 10:39 PM
Review by Eelam: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I have been depressed and not getting sleep at all. After I had my first baby I took Xanax didn't help finally I told my doctor I need some medicine at least for sleep and he prescribed Elavil and it works for all of my symptoms, depression, anxiety and I sleep like a baby. 50mg at bedtime, try it - it is old medicine but it helps.

December 28, 2010 9:12 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I used this medication in '94/'95 and in '97/'98 to treat major depressive episodes. It was the first antidepressant I ever tried, and it worked wonders the first time I used it. I could sleep and eat again, depression was gone within 2-3 weeks, no side effects. I was given amitriptyline again in '97/'98 after months of trying several newer anti-depressants which doctors were convinced would be better, even though I told them amitriptyline had worked for me previously. It worked very well then too, but I developed side effects (irregular heart rhythm.) I chose to take beta blockers along with amitriptyline so I could complete the course of treatment.

May 26, 2010 11:00 AM
Review by Philgood: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline): Happy thoughts once again.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 1, 2009 4:31 PM
Review by Headcase: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline): Been taking for 15 yrs. Started as antidepressant but also helps back pain and sleep.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 26, 2009 12:05 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

amitriptyline: Dry mouth and weight gain is a big pain, however most of the time I feel it is worth going through for the benefits.

May 30, 2009 8:41 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

amitriptyline: This works great. Just needed something to balance my depression with insomnia.

February 3, 2009 9:20 AM
Review by tatu_u: User Rating:

amitriptyline: This drug has been the best drug for me. It helps me with staying calm also helps me get to sleep better. They do say it can make you sleepy well it doesn't have this effect on me.

September 3, 2008 1:22 AM
Review by biagina: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline): I was on Elavil for many years to help ward off migraines and it did great. Then my neurosurgeon prescribed ultram and I had a tachycardia incident. I am very sad that I can not be on Elavil. I used to take 10mg at bedtime and it was helpful.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 10, 2008 7:46 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

amitriptyline: i have been on this drug for two years, it has changed my life. i had depression with severe insomnia and mood swings, i now sleep well and feel i have a new lease of life. i didn't realise how bad i had been before going on this drug

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 26, 2008 1:14 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Elavil (amitriptyline): This medication not only helped my mood to pull me out of my depression but it also decreased my migraines which could last for several days at a time.

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 9, 2008 2:10 PM
Review by _Loretta:

Endep (amitriptyline): Hello, I have only just started using Endep after the sudden onset of a severe depression. I found that it has helped me a great deal. The only side effects that I've had up to this point are a gain in weight (as I wasn't eating properly when depressed) and at night, I'll wake from sleep covered in perspiration - though only from the chest up. I'm hoping with couselling I'll be able to stop taking this medication asap, but it has been a great help. Thanks:)

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 8, 2007 3:04 AM