User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"I only take it when I get a migraine and I can then function at work. I take it maybe twice that day and don't take it again until I get another mygraine."

dhyggen January 31, 2016

"About 3 months ago I started experiencing thunderclap migraines. My doctor put me on Atenolol which did nothing for me. She then put me on Amitriptyline 25 mg which has pretty much eliminated the migraines. I guess I was somewhat depressed because now I feel wonderful, patient, and have a sense of well being. My emotions seem to have levelled out. I have experienced some not so pleasant side effects such as vivid bizarre dreams, blurry vision, constipation and dry mouth. I kept hearing about serious weight gain but due to my new found satisfaction in life I don't turn to food for comfort anymore so I've lost weight on this medicine! I love what this medicine has done for me."

C6162004 January 23, 2016

"I've had migraines for 30 years and was increasingly relying on Zomig - taking about 12 per month. Propranolol doesn't agree with me and was very sceptical about trying amitriptyline but it has been miraculous. I used to wake every morning with a headache at about 4am often developing into full blown migraines. Now I sleep like a baby and have been virtually headache free. I hope that it continues to work as bad migraines are so debilitating and were ruining my life. I've had no real side effects apart from felling a bit sleepy in the morning but that soon wears off."

Scramble January 5, 2016

"After many wrong diagnoses and many RX's that did not solve the problem, I was finally diagnosed with atypical migraines at 24 years old and given this med to take daily. It solved the problem almost immediately. I was having daily migraines before I took it for about 2 months and didn't have a single one while on it. I then decided to go off of it and to my surprise, I was mostly migraine free for about 6 months after (aside from that time of the month). Then, stress peaked and I found myself with almost daily migraines again. So, I've started taking it again. Bc I take it at night to avoid day drowsiness, it is harder to wake up in the morning. I don't feel any difference in my mood. But I am pain free, hurray."

Atypical Migraine Prevention January 4, 2016

"I have been taking 25mg of amitriptyline for 3 weeks now. It has stopped my migraines in their tracks, I feel a little groggy in the mornings and I have a dry mouth but the biggest side effect is loss of appetite and weight loss!"

Gemmasfortune December 24, 2015

"I was having migraine headaches anywhere from one to four times a week. I have been taking 10 mg and I am down to one a month. This has been a lifesaver. The side effects are manageable for me. I've had dry mouth, constipation, and the first month I had difficulty waking up in the morning."

SophiaRaine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2015

"Took drug for post concussion syndrome migraines. Did NOT work. Also had constipation and dry mouth, it elongated my periods from 6 days to 9.5 days, and at 20mgs, this drug immediately gave me a strong, persistent neck spasm that has not gone away months after withdrawal. This drug CAN INDUCE DYSTONIA and torticollis and I believe if I were on it longer, I might have developed those conditions. I think that people who already experience fasciculations or muscle spasms are more at risk of developing these conditions because the drug made my muscles twitch a LOT. I was on 10 mg for 5 days, than on the 6th day I took 20mgs, and that's when the spasms began. I was on the drug for maybe 6 weeks."

inthehouse December 7, 2015

"Amazing drug ... Not sure why I did not took it earlier.... Migraine gone just after first dose .. Minimal side effects ... Anxiety reduced a lot. I'm surprised a small tiny pill can have such effect"

Vince245 December 3, 2015

"Full Body Pain. Including head, shoulders. Unable to leave bed till 16 hours of taking pill of 10 mg. Dry Mouth. Self Forced to take leave from work."

Tuldeep December 2, 2015

"I've suffered from migraines, mostly chronic, going on 6 years. I had originally tried Amitriptyline at the beginning of my diagnosis; however, quickly got off of it (I don't remember why). 6 years later and a new doctor suggested we give it a try. Almost immediately I noticed my eyes changing. Very blurred vision. I also experienced rapid weight gain, hostility, aggression and more sweating. Within three weeks of being on the medicine, I called my doctor and had them get me off of it. Now I am on nortriptyline. Glad because I soon after received notification from my insurance that they wouldn't cover the suggested amount of 50 mg, only 25 mg for 30 days."

miniackj (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2015

"So I was prescribed 25 mg initially I slept like the dead and saw a reduction in migraines though had low energy that wore off after about 3 weeks .. So did the reduction in migraines in 5 months I gained over 20lbs which very carefully watching my diet so definitely not for me ... On the upside it significantly reduced my anxiety and stabilized my mood ... I would have definitely stayed on it just for that if it wasn't for the weight gain."

Goreandglitter November 11, 2015

"I have had classical migraine (with aura) since I was 12. They disappeared completely in my 20s but returned when I became pregnant. Following two pregnancies I have had about 6 silent migraines (visual aura but no headache) a year until this year when I started to have alot more (still silent) migraines. I realise I am very lucky to not have full blown headaches, but they have still been incapacitating and scary. After having six migraines in a week I started to take amytriptiline (10mg). I've been taking it now for about 11 weeks and have had three mild migraine auras since then. Seems to be working -- will persevere. No side effects after first week."

vic21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2015

"I was prescribed Amitriptyline for Odie Sphincter dysfunction, which is a spasm in the Gallbladder sphincter. The wonderful side affect is my migraines were cured by this as well. NOTE: The smallest dosage of generic amitriptyline is 10 mg. I have gotten the dose down to about 1.5 mg by breaking each 10 mg into 8ths. This has eliminated the constipation I was experiencing at the higher dose, and costs me about $10/year for prescription."

Karcher1398 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 15, 2015

"I would get migraines that would last for 4 days... triggered by someone walking by smoking e cigarette or aspartame... I started elavil and I noticed the difference within days..."

sabbaab October 6, 2015

"Cured my migraines within the week, though eventually went off of the medication due to its side effects. Blood rushed to head every time I stood up causing me to faint once, and extremely dry mouth."

hmpdj (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2015

"I started getting tension headaches everyday for months around the same time late in the afternoon. No matter where I was, the cycle would continue and cause stress due to the headache. A GP started me in 10mg daily. It takes about two weeks to feel the effects. This drug has greatly reduced my pain and helped break the cycle. Side effects are morning drowsiness, occasionally blurry vision, and sleepiness."

Alanomallet October 1, 2015

"I have migraine and depression. I couldn't sleep before and had at least four migraine attacks every month. A GP started me on Amitriptyline 25 mg every night for migraine prevention but she doesn't know that I also have depression (diagnosed by a psychiatrist). Now I'm able to sleep well, and only have migraines one or two times a month. Depression is more manageable now since I get enough sleep. Killing two birds with one stone, ha."

anna nolan September 25, 2015

"I am 15 and I have had migranes ever since I can remember, but when I was around 13 it got to the point where I couldn't do anything in any of my classes because I got around 15 a day. So I stated taking amitriplynine and now I only get around 1 or 2 a week, it is a process on what the right dosage is, but it has helped me so much."

Harvey Shores September 14, 2015

"I'm 15 and have been getting migraines since I was 10 or 11. They got so bad I was going home early from school and have the next day off twice a week. I started taking amitriptyline when I was 13 or 14 and have had one migraine since"

T.M (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 12, 2015

"I've suffered from migraines since I was a teen but as a adult they became unbearable. After the death of my mother going on 5 yrs this December and a year to the date then my grandmother my depression was at a high. I don't think is describable. My nerves and patience were all over the place my migraines had gotten to the point I had to take shots for the pain! I was rushed to the hospital one day for a headache that I felt was going to take my life the same as a headache did my mom. I had swelling on the brain I was put on three different combinations of meds out of the three I figured out the amitriptyline was the one that managed all my symptoms especially my headaches and later discovered my insomnia! To this day I still take it."

Ann Amazin September 4, 2015

"Husband has turned in to a angry hulk. I know most of since these comments are positive on here. But my husband raged and changed into being abusive , and blowing up at a drop as a dime. Don't recommend at all. He is only 30 ...Stopped headaches but turned in to depressed , paranoid, and angry."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2015

"Started Amitriptyline less then six months ago for lingering on going headaches, 25 mg at night. I see a immunologist for Lupus and fibromyalgia. He sent me to a neurologist, who gave me Amitriptyline. Helped me tolerate them but they never went away. They made me cranky, irritable, and down right mean. I have muscle weakness, and can not concentrate. Dr. for Fibro wants to increase dose to 100mg. I don't see that helping my side effects since the side effects started with this med. I'm going to see GP for a third opinion and referral to a Psychiatrist. This drug is not for everyone. Be careful."

D.J.S. August 30, 2015

"I started taking this medication to help with my bad migraines and nausea. It helped for awhile but in the past 6 months has stopped working almost completely. The major side effects I noticed were increased emotions (I cry at everything now, and I'm not a sensitive person) and I've developed serious anxiety and stress. I'm currently weaning off this medication to try something else, but it did help for awhile."

psk134psk August 15, 2015

"I suffer from chronic migraines, but I am only 15 years old. I had to be taken out of school for some time because of them. I was prescribed 10 mg of amitriptyline to take everyday it it has been great. I now get very few migraines and of lesser severity. I do though experience some dizziness wich made it harder to participate in sports, but over all my experience has been good."

Sadie.nahas July 21, 2015

"I was getting 18 migraines a month and it was too much to handle. I was put on another antidepressant and that sent them down to 2/3 a week. After starting Elavil, I get around 4 a month!! What an improvement!"

Ky_m July 21, 2015