User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"Started Amitriptyline less then six months ago for lingering on going headaches, 25 mg at night. I see a immunologist for Lupus and fibromyalgia. He sent me to a neurologist, who gave me Amitriptyline. Helped me tolerate them but they never went away. They made me cranky, irritable, and down right mean. I have muscle weakness, and can not concentrate. Dr. for Fibro wants to increase dose to 100mg. I don't see that helping my side effects since the side effects started with this med. I'm going to see GP for a third opinion and referral to a Psychiatrist. This drug is not for everyone. Be careful."

D.J.S. August 30, 2015

"I started taking this medication to help with my bad migraines and nausea. It helped for awhile but in the past 6 months has stopped working almost completely. The major side effects I noticed were increased emotions (I cry at everything now, and I'm not a sensitive person) and I've developed serious anxiety and stress. I'm currently weaning off this medication to try something else, but it did help for awhile."

psk134psk August 15, 2015

"I suffer from chronic migraines, but I am only 15 years old. I had to be taken out of school for some time because of them. I was prescribed 10 mg of amitriptyline to take everyday it it has been great. I now get very few migraines and of lesser severity. I do though experience some dizziness wich made it harder to participate in sports, but over all my experience has been good."

Sadie.nahas July 21, 2015

"I was getting 18 migraines a month and it was too much to handle. I was put on another antidepressant and that sent them down to 2/3 a week. After starting Elavil, I get around 4 a month!! What an improvement!"

Ky_m July 21, 2015

"I've suffered from migraines/daily headaches that painkillers don't touch; symptoms include visual and auditory disturbances, and sometimes even partial loss of vision. Sumatriptan's the only thing that works but I need to take it daily, often twice daily. My GP was alarmed at sumatriptan use so prescribed me 10mg amitriptyline a night, and after a couple of weeks the migraines and headaches were gone. Worked so well I went months without using sumatriptan and eventually forgot about the headaches, and stopped the amitriptyline because of the sides (huge appetite, weight gain, next day drowsiness), and I've had a migraine from hell for a week and I'm back to taking sumatriptan daily. Restarted amitriptyline, and I won't be stopping again!"

Julz001 July 18, 2015

"This medication literally is a life saver. I've had chronic migraines for 10 years. I was on 10mg for 6 months then my migraines came back. My doctor upped my dosage to 20 and now it's back to normal. But one side effect I can't seem to shake off is sleepiness. I'm sleeping close to 16 hours+ a day."

Chelseajeansm (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 25, 2015

"I have been experiencing severe migraines 2 times per month over last 3-4 years, that include terrible vertigo and would last about a week. The vertigo was more debilitating than the migraine. Couldn't work or drive. In between migraines I experienced regular daily headaches. Started seeing a neurologist who initially prescribed beta blockers (propranolol) with little result. Then changed tact to Amitriptyline which I am on 10mg per day taken at night. Started about a month ago and am yet to have a migraine and headaches have also significantly improved to maybe 2 light headaches (more tension headaches really) per week. I am more than satisfied with the result and couldn't believe how quickly it had an impact. Early days yet though."

Nessie.7 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2015

"Had really bad migraines for years got worse with age I'm 48 now and a femail doctor has prescribed them 10 milg at first nothing changed but 3 months in I've had no migraine for nearly a month and half or even headaches and I'm not craving either feel great ."

Vivienne12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2015

"I been having migraines since I had my daughter at age 22, I'm 38 now. I had migraine 2-4 times a week. I try a lot of migraine medications with really bad side affect. Then my migraine got worse because it was causing me vertigo. So when I got them together I was in bed 2-3 days. I was calling out a lot and I when to see a neurologist that prescriped me a beta blocker. Stop the medication because my bloodpressure was dropping a lot. Then my doctor prescribed me amitriptyline 10mg and my migraine are gone. Vertigo too. Don't be afraid to take it because you won't get dictated if you want to stop it won't give you any withdraw. I stop it last month to see how I was going to do without it and migraines are back. Just started again."

Asan38 June 4, 2015

"I've taken amitriptyline off and on for 8 years & have had migraines for almost 30 years (I'm 41). 25mg cuts migraines down to 3-4/month (rather than the 5-10 /month I get with no medication), and carb cravings are quite manageable. No weight gain at 25mg, even after several months. When I tried 50mg, I had a hard time controlling carb cravings and gained 10lbs over 2 months; but, I didn't make much effort to fight carb cravings. I suspect if one exercises moderately and watches carb intake, weight gain can be avoided, even at "higher" doses (25mg+). I'm now taking 40mg. Side-effects from anti-convulsants & beta blockers were intolerable for me- far worse than the dry mouth & carb cravings I get with amitriptyline. A great drug overall."

abmtily (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 1, 2015

"I have been diagnosed with migraines since I was 9. I am 33 today. My migraines are acute and chronic. As I got older, they increased in frequency and severity. At a certaine point I was hospitalized weekly. I could no longer function as a normal person. School, excerise, relationships, friendships were impossible. It made me even more depressed that noone understood my pain and some thought I was faking it. I was finally pronounced "disabled" afew years ago which made getting a job nearly impossible. I wanted to end my life because of this many times. The 6 months ago, an ER doctor suggested Tryptizol. To me, it is a miracle drug. I only have migraines once a month with my period. I am proof that hope exists. I wish I used it sooner."

Amooli March 26, 2015

"Amitriptyline is nothing short of a miracle for me. I used to be plagued by terrible migraines. I've been taking amitriptyline for about 25 years, and I have not had a single migraine in all that time."

Charlie P (taken for 10 years or more) March 25, 2015

"I was 21 totally healthy male without ANY health problems. One morning I woke up with a horrible headache and it only continued to get worse. I experienced headaches 24 hours a day for months. I had every test known and they couldn't find anything wrong me. I have took 75mg of amitriptyline for close to 4 years now. The drug has worked wonders on me and as long as I take my medication every night, I never experience a headache unless under extreme stress. Wonder drug, mild side effects. First few years dry mouth was really intense. It is harder for me to fall asleep now, have to take 5-10mg of melatonin as well. Hoping to ween off the medication shortly tho, as I don't want my whole life to be controlled through a pill bottle."

Chrissss March 22, 2015

"My daughter is16. She started getting migraines around age 12. At first they were every 3 months for a year then once a month and this last year at age 15 they became two or three times a week! We tried Imitrex nose spray and once the urgent care gave her Fioricet. Nothing worked. She had severe aura, loss of vision then the headache followed by vomiting. Also once she was given Topamax which had too many bad side effects. She will be going to Germany for one year as a foreign exchange student and I was going to have to cancel that if we couldn't find a way to get this under control. I took her to a children's neurologist and she gave her Amitriptyline. It has been an absolute miracle for us!! No side effects & NO more migraines!"

Litzlogs March 21, 2015

"Brought daily migraine headaches down to 1-4 a month"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2015

"I've been on Elavil 10 mg at bedtime for now 2 weeks. I like the sedation effect. I have no side effects such as dry mouth or increase appetite. But I do have constipation and my major concern is that I have more headaches."

lou8204 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2015

"Was getting head aches/migraines 4-5 times a week started this pill at 10mg and head aches went down to 1-2 a month and very mild. Amazing pill.. life changing for me! Be careful if you change your dose.. went up to 20mg a day and headaches came back so now back at 10mg and so far so good! Amazing amazing amazing!"

steph31 January 15, 2015

"I normally get headaches or migraines approx 4-5 times a week and have for many years. I have tried many different medications and nothing seemed to help or stop them. Finally I was given this pill and am taking 10mg per day. Since I have been on this medication I get 1-2 minor head aches in a month! Amazing! Life changing! My nuerologist decided to up my pill to 20mg per day to see if it would completely get rid of them and since I started the 20mg my headaches and migraines have come back! I have now gone back to the 10mg per day and am hoping it will go back to the almost none existent headaches and migraines. So far so good. So be careful changing your dose otherwise such an amazing life changing pill for me! No side effects for me."

steph31 January 15, 2015

"This medicine doesn't help with my migraines at all! And it gives me nightmares and very vivid dreams. It also interrupts my sleep. "

cookie3682 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2014

"I was originally prescribed Amitriptyline for pain prevention. I found Amitriptyline to be sedative even on very low doses (5mg). I adjusted to each increase in dose, however I had to stop at 15mg per day as it was too sedative and causing me to be light sleeper. I went back down to 5mg a day for a couple of months. However the medicine wasn't helping much with the pain. I've since been prescribed Nortriptyline."

Nickname already in use November 30, 2014

"Currently being 15, I've had migraines about everyday since I was 11 and I was prescribed this medication a few months ago. It worked okay for a few weeks, most days of the week I'd be migraine free. Now though, I get my daily migraines regardless of taking it and I believe I've been heavily hallucinating for the past month or two and I had a night terror. And because of these hallucinations, I haven't been able to sleep well. I get maybe 4-5 hours of sleep everyday. The only positive aspect I can think of is that its helped me socialize better, I'm not so nervous about speaking anymore."

iomsp November 29, 2014

"My headaches are tension, rather than migraine. However, the pain was just intense and debilitating. I was missing work a couple times a month due to these headaches. Dr. started my on this med and since then I have had only 2 severe headaches. Dr. also told me that if I do still get one of them, this med would relieve the pain much faster and headache would go away faster."

xavalyss (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 25, 2014

"I have been taking 25mg amitriptyline for over a year now. My migraines have almost disappeared which is very good as I was having 2 a month lasting up to 3 days each. I've had Migraines since I was 14 and had hoped that I would start to get better after the age of 60. But not so I'm 68 now and will continue the pills though I'm worried about long term use. I get it on the national health here."

andreabilly November 12, 2014

"So far I am AMAZED. I have had chronic migriane for past 15 years at least twice a week on a good week, I am 45 now. Before it was occasional like once a month since a teenager. I work in a fairly high stress professional office environment. It has affected my work and mood negatively. I have absolutely tried everything before I recently tried amitriptyline from acupuncture, diet, meditation, homeopath, blood pressure pills, massage therapy and 3 neurologists. (Imitrex works but I was to reliant on it). I was very groggy the next day for 1 week on 25 ml of amitriptyline at night around dinner time. Which didn't go well with my career and thought I would have to stop it but I read here it does go away and it did! 3 Weeks in and no migraine."

Brock777 November 11, 2014

"I have suffered from migraine on and off since my teens always visual patterns then wham! the headache. A few years ago I just had the patterns and no pain then it changed to tension neck pain which which then turned into headache as soon as I woke up more or less daily. Imigran helped but was popping them like smarties. I tried giving up all the known triggers but nothing helped then a couple of months ago Dr prescribed Amitriptyline 25mgs every night I have had maybe 2 or 3 slight headaches since. First week I was a little woozy but that passed. Now I wake up with a dry mouth and food tastes different but no headache. It used to be unusual to wake up with no headache now its unusual to wake up with one. I recommend anyone to give it a try."

Bobbywill (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2014

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next