User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 27 years old, I was diagnosed with Acute Migraines and my family Dr. prescribed me Amitriptyline HCL 25MG right before Bed. I have had no headaches since then never told I would feel better. But my sensitivity to light has become very bad and I spend the morning hours very sleepy.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 11:14 PM

Review by nas9999:

Suffered all my life and this medicine was the best thing to ever happen to me!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2014 11:48 PM

Review by Annesa (taken for less than 1 month):

I been suffering with migraines for 6 years. I was hospitalized because of nausea, dizziness, blurred vision etc. 6 years ago and my nuerologist prescribed me Imitrex (Sumatriptan) and Fioricet. The Imitrex stops the migraines as soon as I took them but the Fioricet was the pill that I was suppose to take on a daily use. But the migraines just kept on coming everyday. Not a day go by without a constant migraine. I was recently hospitalized and was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis ... my doctor in the hospital was a neurologist. I was not sleeping and started suffering from insomnia. My neurologist prescribed me Amitriptyline HCL 10MG. Yesterday was the first time I took the pill and its a miracle. No migraines today.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 9:57 PM

Review by madarcey (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had migraines going on 20 yrs now. I've been on a beta blocker blood pressure medicine and Topamax. Topamax decreased the headaches somewhat, but at the cost of very debilitating side effects of fatigue and depression and rapid weight loss that never stopped, therefore my Dr. stopped it. I recently changed drs and for the 1st time in twenty years someone decided to try something new, amitriptyline. I've also suffered insomnia. My doctor suggested preventing migraines and treating insomnia with amitriptyline. I've had one flare up in the past 3 months and sleep soundly through the night! Amitripyline has caused weight gain but I am still healthy. I'll take the weight gain over the migraines any day!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 12, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by HMC02:

I have been suffering from migraines since I was 12 and getting them around 3 times a week. I am now 17. I was originally put on amitriptyline 10mg. Since then they would up my dosage by 10 mg until I found relief. For awhile 50mg was doing the trick plus it helped me sleep at night. But then the migraines came back. At one point I had 6 migraines in 3 days and I was put on steroids to stop the cycle. Now I'm taking 75mg every night. That was working until recently I started getting them again worse then ever before. Every time I get them I experience: weird vision loss, nausea, vomiting, lose feeling in arms/hands/mouth, excruciating pain all around my head. I have a lot of the side effects which make me question if I wanna take this anymore.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2014 1:43 AM

Review by GREATDANE88 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I'm 44 and starting getting migraines about ten years ago. I've tried several migraine medicines with no effect other than making me even more nauseated. My Doc suggested amitripyline and it works great! As soon as I feel an occurrence I take 1 and 30 min later I'm good to go. Although it does knock me out I am very grateful for this med.

May 19, 2014 5:15 PM

Review by SMBill:

I have been on Amitriptyline for 2 months and I have only one side effect - dry cough occasionally. I suffered from migraines from childhood and first my doctor tried a blood pressure medicine that also treats migraines. While somewhat effective, I still had headaches and migraines after 1-2 months, up to 3-5 per week. Once he put me on Amitriptyline, all headaches are gone and I have had no recurrences of either regular headache or migraine. I no longer need pain medication and I feel like I have my life back. This medicine has been wonderful!

May 16, 2014 9:55 AM

Review by Mermaid2011:

My doctor prescribed a migraine prevention medication for me yesterday,, for the first time in literally years, I did not wake up with pain in my head that was a level 2 (out of 10 for pain) would either drop to a 1 for pain or become a migraine. I can't tell you how weird it feels to wake up with zero pain.

April 30, 2014 2:54 PM

Review by Jonnydoe (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Not had a migraine in 2-3 years whilst being on 20mg amitriptyline. Wonder pill! Also helps my insomnia. Combine with magnesium for a better effect good luck

April 25, 2014 5:05 PM

Review by nomoreheadaches:

I'm 59 years old and have suffered with migraines as well as hard to get rid of "regular" daily headaches since my early teens. A three day migraine would loose 9 pounds for me. I had been to countless doctors and a neurologist with no triggers found. No one ever tried a preventive medication for me. Finally, four years ago, my VA doctor suggested Amitriptyline. It's been a lifesaver. He suggested building up to 30 mg per day at bedtime. I developed dry mouth, eyes and throat as well as nosebleeds. I reduced to 10 mgs with good results as far as the headache and migraine relief, but still the side effects. Cut the pills in half with good results. So, now I'm taking 5 mg per day, with virtually no side effects and NO headaches at all.

April 24, 2014 9:36 AM

Review by Shellsc:

I've had migraines since I was 14, and now I'm 48. They have got progressively worse with age, although after giving birth was migraine free for a few years before they returned with a vengeance. I would have a debilitating migraines for 10 days solid followed by a few days break only to have another. I was tested for everything and they found no trigger. I have 3 Types of migraine, 1)wake up with them 2) visual ones where I loose my sight 3) ones that start during the day and work their way around my head for the duration. After many attempts with all sorts medicines. Endep has done the trick at 48yrs of age.

April 18, 2014 8:29 AM

Review by T.R 88:

I've been taking 25mg amitriptyline for a little over a year. For migraines it works fantastic but I think I might need to start a higher dose due to a slowly decreasing effectiveness. Still working great though.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2014 7:24 PM

Review by JackHat:

I suffered migraines off and on for years. I've been using amiptiptyline for 3 years now at bedtime. No more bad migraines. If I do get one now, my meds work instead of it lasting for days.

March 6, 2014 1:59 PM

Review by Ej19772005:

For Migraine

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 20, 2014 4:50 PM

Review by Finally some relief:

I have been suffering from chronic migraines for 18 yrs. Smells, sounds, foods trigger them and sometimes last for 2 weeks. My Dr started me on 25mg of Amitriptyline at bedtime. Instant relief. First 2 weeks it would knock me out & when I woke I would be drowsy and float through work. Not even a headache for 28 days! 29th day, migraines were back, not as bad. Dr. upped my dosage to 50mg. So far so good. Side effects I have experienced: Dizziness, drowsiness, & dry mouth.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2013 1:09 AM

Review by nspired0104:

I've been a chronic migraine sufferer my entire life. Literally, I even had migraines as a young child, which my neurologist informed me was very rare?.. I was diagnosed with chronic complicated migraine averaging 20 plus headache days a month. id get migraine attacks where I'd repeatedly get slammed with migraines lasting up to 15 days where I couldn't function in a row. She put me on verapramil twice a day which helped slightly for a few months then did nothing so she put me on the amitriptyline a few days ago. I started at 25 mg at night and in a few days up to 50mg. It does help me sleep.. and my migraines today are substantially less. Hoping it keeps getting better!

November 17, 2013 9:03 PM

Review by Rynn82:

I have a brain tumour, epilepsy and chronic migraines. I take Elavil 200mg daily and Lamictal 400mg. Compared to the multiple meds and combos my drs had me on, Elavil has worked the best for me. It doesn't stop them (migraines) but my headache hell has improved and post seizure headaches are less severe. With the high dosage of both meds it's given I'll feel side effects but overall no major signs of toxicity as I did with other meds.

November 9, 2013 11:23 PM

Review by Shazza1968:

I was put on this medication 50mg nightly to stop migraine/headaches during the day, I have multiple sclerosis and suffer from a lot of neuropathic pain also. I am on Lyrica 300mg twice daily, both of these medications have caused weight gain. I have slowly weaned myself off the endep and now am suffering from dizziness, hoping this will pass. But my concern is that endep is also for treatment of depression, was I being medicated under false pretenses and now that I am off it will suffer from depression. MS is a hard illness to deal with at the best of times, will I now not handle my disease ?? Time will tell.

October 28, 2013 11:41 PM

Review by Bendelep:

I don't like taking medication, but my headaches were now in a state of chronic tension/migraine being triggered by anything excessive like exercising, too much cleaning, too much activity, too much light or stress. I was prescribed Elavil for headaches, irritable bowel syndrome, sleep trouble, back, neck, and arm pain. I've taken it for a week, and after one dose, the first thing I noticed was an awesome night's sleep, and no neck or jaw pain, pain on rising. I feel completely relaxed in the morning, a little drowsy but am able to function and get my three kids to school. I have been taking it at 10pm and feel tired until noon, so I think I'm going to take it earlier in the evening. I haven't noticed any side effects at all. I am taking 10 mg.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2013 2:43 PM

Review by karajf:

I've tried at least 10 different medications. I've been on Lyrica for 4 months, now on Elavil of 10 mgs. I try to take it at 9pm, it helps me sleep. I go to bed at 1am but not all the time. And it helps me a lot with my chronic migraines however when I wake up at 10am, go back to bed an hour later, then wake up at 3:30pm.

October 8, 2013 12:44 AM

Review by luckysmom (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on this medicine for over ten years, plus a beta blocker for my migraines and blood pressure. I thought I could wean off of Amitripyline as my migraines were fairly under control. About a month off of it, my head was killing me several times a week. Now I take Amitripyline without question, and without pain.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2013 9:43 AM

Review by Migraine ughhh:

As far as helping me with my migraines it helped out a lot. I had absolutely none after 3 weeks of taking the medication, however it made me feel like a zombie throughout the day and for some reason when I didn't take it exactly on time I wouldn't be unable to fall asleep at night. I also gained a great amount of weight.

October 2, 2013 9:23 PM

Review by GTwinzMom (taken for less than 1 month):

I had been taking propranolol for migraine prevention, but I was still taking Imitrex more often than I should have. I moved to a new town and met with a PA who suggested Amitriptyline. Wow! I went 2 weeks straight without a headache and have taken Imitrex only twice in the past 3.5 weeks. It has been like a miracle for me. The only side effect I've had was some afternoon sleepiness, but that passed after the first week. If you feel like you get headaches every day, ask your doctor about this medication.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2013 10:50 PM

Review by Gerbras:

Endep (amitriptyline): Started getting migraines at 18. I'm now 46. Vomiting so bad I used to go to hospital 1-2x per month to go on a drip to rehydrate. Made a professional career virtually impossible. Been on Sandomigran for 25 years. Had every possible treatment. Then 5 years ago a hospital locum prescribed Endep. That was the end of my migraines. I was suicidal for 2-3 weeks but then back to normal. I now take 1 x 50mg tab every second night. Endep is brilliant!

September 20, 2013 8:34 AM

Review by Thankful for amitriptyline (taken for less than 1 month):

I started having headaches about 2 and a half years ago. I had at least 3 per week. Then it got to the point where I had a headache literally EVERY SINGLE DAY. After 2 MRIs, countless blood tests, an eye exam, and seeing a neurologist, no one could tell me why I had a headache every day. It got to the point I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, and couldn't get anything done. My head hurt so bad I couldn't move some days. FINALLY a doctor prescribed me 25mg of amitriptyline once a day. I've been on it for 3 weeks now and have only had 2 light headaches since taking it. This medicine seriously saved my life. I got so depressed from constant pain. The first week I started taking amitriptyline I was drowsy but I'm fine now. I take it every night before bed.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2013 10:18 PM