User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 60 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"I was suffering from sever migraines for 4 years before I was put on this life saving medication. My migraines had gotten to the point where I had to quit my job of 6 years where I held the position of supervisor. I tried so many different drugs, but none of them gave me any form of relief. Even perception pain killers didn't helped during the more severe. Finally my doctor put me on 50mgs of Amitriptyline and oh my god, I have NEVER felt better!! I noticed a difference within a week of being on it! It has even helped my insomnia. I have been migraine and headache free since January 1016. The only time I get them is during my menstrual cycle but I have pain killers for during that time. I have no side effects from it at all."

C_Anderson13 April 13, 2016

"My migraines have been cut in half by using 10mg elavil daily. I used to get severe headaches 2 times per month lasting at least 3 days each. Now I get about 1 every 4-6 weeks and for the most part they last a day or 2 and are Much less severe. I used to be bed ridden for days and it's happened only once or twice since starting elavil 6 months ag. I pray that this continues and that I don't build a tolerance and have to up my dosage because I don't like taking meds"

Ingipg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 12, 2016

"helps prevent my migraines most of of the time/"

tam2 April 5, 2016

"Not only did it not help with migraines, it made me gain 40 pounds."

Ket1108 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 1, 2016

"Oops! I had put my review under the wrong category. Long story short- I got a concussion and was unexpectedly bed-ridden and in the dark both metaphorically and literally for almost 3 months. Migraines wracked me every day among other symptoms- it was basically hell on earth. My doctor prescribed me 25 mg of amitriptyline, said most of his concussion patients had a lot of success with it. Anyway, it gave me my life back. I've been on it for 4 mnths now... I don't get aura migraines anymore, head aches now are duller and infrequent :) Dry mouth, a little more constipation, had some depressed feelings when I first started but my body adjusted. I really do recommend this! Give yourself enough hours to sleep at first."

Violetrose1130 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

"it wasnt til last year my sophomore year i finally just couldnt take the headaches, they got soo bad i had to go to the doctor and they prescribed me amitriptyline. Let me say they started off as a miracle worker and definetely recommend it to prevent it. But it does has its side affects, i am suffering from depression , panic attacks , suicidal thoughts and makes me feel so tired and sleepy its not funny. Im a junior now in highschool , my hardest and most important year and i kinda hate that i took and am taking amitriptyline. I cant take this med anymore. My grades are so bad right now because i can never stay focus at school and feel so damm tired i dont want to do anything.cant concetrate, i act different now and i dont feel myelf."

mariesssssssssss March 3, 2016

"Absolutely Effective! I suffered most of my adult life with debilitating migraines. My Doc recommend that I try 25 mg at bed time (half a yellow pill) .. I rarely get migraines anymore. I use to get migraines 4+ times a week .. now I get them MAYBE once a month (if that) Side effects: I take this medication within one hour of wanting to be asleep. This medication kicks my ass. Knocks me out."

RichardfromCanada March 2, 2016

"Been suffering from severe right eye & top of the head pains, which normally develop into excruciating migraines and last for hours so I'm forced to take Migraleve which helps sometimes and go to bed with lights off and just rest. My doc prescribed me Amitriptyline and I took it 5 times in a month so far. I get a few side effects (insomnia, depression) and can only take them a few hours before bed as they still affect me the day after (sleepiness, tiredness, inability to focus). It does work almost immediately, and the effect last for a week even, which is great. I feel very relaxed but I noticed that I started feeling without reason rather depressed, to the point that one day I actually felt a bit suicidal so I stopped taking them for a week"

regina2016 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

"I took this in an attempt to prevent my migraines that occurred several times each month. During the two weeks that I took this at bedtime I had an increase in migraines (3-4/month became 3 in 2 weeks) and had at least 2 incidents where I got out of bed and did things - including going for a drive - that I woke the next morning with no memory of the night before!"

FF/EMT March 1, 2016

"It does work for me, but have to take it twice daily - 25mg morning and 25mg at night, rather than 50 mg at night. Only negative side effect - dry mouth all day, have to drink a lot of water"

2cv (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 29, 2016

"For years I suffered with headaches that could not be cured by everyday painkillers and as a result would progress into a migrane which as we all know are torturous at times. I changed doctors after years of suffering and she introduced me to amitriptyline ( an anti depressant) but in small doses she explained had been proven to help sufferers of migranes. I decided, what the hell, they can't get any worse. Shockingly after about three weeks of taking this drug I no longer got the everyday headache and the migranes were non existent. I've been taking amitriptyline for 4 years now and I couldn't recommend it more. I very rarely get a headache never mind a migrane on a small 10mg one everyday dose. It also helps me sleep so added bonus!"

Amihappy (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 26, 2016

"I have been using amitriptyline for years. I only take it when I have a migraine and it is usually gone the next day. I love it. I take it at bedtime and I am a bit drowsy from the effects when I wake up but the headache is gone!!"

ditchdog February 19, 2016

"I've been taking this medication for a week now. Almost all my headaches and migraines are all gone. The only time I really get a headache or migraine is when I don't get enough sleep."

Nikkiloveslollies (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2016

"Been taking 10mg of amitriptyline for a month now. They haven't done anything for my migraines. Which seem to be getting worse and more aggressive. I've also experienced as if my brain was shaking, which was weird and scary at the same time. I've also had lapses where I've done something and I can't for the life of me remember doing it. I'm only 47."

Petra 67 February 11, 2016

"I only take it when I get a migraine and I can then function at work. I take it maybe twice that day and don't take it again until I get another mygraine."

dhyggen January 31, 2016

"Was prescribed as a post impact headache help. After taking 10mg per night for about 10 days, I spent an entire night unable to sleep with what felt like heart palpitations. This was scary. Immediately stopped taking it of course, but the next night woke up at 3, thought it was time for work, and made coffee. I slowly came out of a fog and realized the time (I usually get up at 6). Previous I had noticed what seemed to be seeing things out of the corner of my eye while driving, but that is no big deal. My better half had mentioned I seemed to care less about things as well. I see it works for most and that's great. But like any medication be sure to pay close attention."

JoeSchmoe (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2016

"About 3 months ago I started experiencing thunderclap migraines. My doctor put me on Atenolol which did nothing for me. She then put me on Amitriptyline 25 mg which has pretty much eliminated the migraines. I guess I was somewhat depressed because now I feel wonderful, patient, and have a sense of well being. My emotions seem to have levelled out. I have experienced some not so pleasant side effects such as vivid bizarre dreams, blurry vision, constipation and dry mouth. I kept hearing about serious weight gain but due to my new found satisfaction in life I don't turn to food for comfort anymore so I've lost weight on this medicine! I love what this medicine has done for me."

C6162004 January 23, 2016

"I've had migraines for 30 years and was increasingly relying on Zomig - taking about 12 per month. Propranolol doesn't agree with me and was very sceptical about trying amitriptyline but it has been miraculous. I used to wake every morning with a headache at about 4am often developing into full blown migraines. Now I sleep like a baby and have been virtually headache free. I hope that it continues to work as bad migraines are so debilitating and were ruining my life. I've had no real side effects apart from felling a bit sleepy in the morning but that soon wears off."

Scramble January 5, 2016

"After many wrong diagnoses and many RX's that did not solve the problem, I was finally diagnosed with atypical migraines at 24 years old and given this med to take daily. It solved the problem almost immediately. I was having daily migraines before I took it for about 2 months and didn't have a single one while on it. I then decided to go off of it and to my surprise, I was mostly migraine free for about 6 months after (aside from that time of the month). Then, stress peaked and I found myself with almost daily migraines again. So, I've started taking it again. Bc I take it at night to avoid day drowsiness, it is harder to wake up in the morning. I don't feel any difference in my mood. But I am pain free, hurray."

Atypical Migraine Prevention January 4, 2016

"I have been taking 25mg of amitriptyline for 3 weeks now. It has stopped my migraines in their tracks, I feel a little groggy in the mornings and I have a dry mouth but the biggest side effect is loss of appetite and weight loss!"

Gemmasfortune December 24, 2015

"I was having migraine headaches anywhere from one to four times a week. I have been taking 10 mg and I am down to one a month. This has been a lifesaver. The side effects are manageable for me. I've had dry mouth, constipation, and the first month I had difficulty waking up in the morning."

SophiaRaine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 17, 2015

"Took drug for post concussion syndrome migraines. Did NOT work. Also had constipation and dry mouth, it elongated my periods from 6 days to 9.5 days, and at 20mgs, this drug immediately gave me a strong, persistent neck spasm that has not gone away months after withdrawal. This drug CAN INDUCE DYSTONIA and torticollis and I believe if I were on it longer, I might have developed those conditions. I think that people who already experience fasciculations or muscle spasms are more at risk of developing these conditions because the drug made my muscles twitch a LOT. I was on 10 mg for 5 days, than on the 6th day I took 20mgs, and that's when the spasms began. I was on the drug for maybe 6 weeks."

inthehouse December 7, 2015

"Amazing drug ... Not sure why I did not took it earlier.... Migraine gone just after first dose .. Minimal side effects ... Anxiety reduced a lot. I'm surprised a small tiny pill can have such effect"

Vince245 December 3, 2015

"Full Body Pain. Including head, shoulders. Unable to leave bed till 16 hours of taking pill of 10 mg. Dry Mouth. Self Forced to take leave from work."

Tuldeep December 2, 2015

"I've suffered from migraines, mostly chronic, going on 6 years. I had originally tried Amitriptyline at the beginning of my diagnosis; however, quickly got off of it (I don't remember why). 6 years later and a new doctor suggested we give it a try. Almost immediately I noticed my eyes changing. Very blurred vision. I also experienced rapid weight gain, hostility, aggression and more sweating. Within three weeks of being on the medicine, I called my doctor and had them get me off of it. Now I am on nortriptyline. Glad because I soon after received notification from my insurance that they wouldn't cover the suggested amount of 50 mg, only 25 mg for 30 days."

miniackj (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2015