User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

Review by T.R 88: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I've been taking 25mg amitriptyline for a little over a year. For migraines it works fantastic but I think I might need to start a higher dose due to a slowly decreasing effectiveness. Still working great though.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 27, 2014 7:24 PM
Review by JackHat: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I suffered migraines off and on for years. I've been using amiptiptyline for 3 years now at bedtime. No more bad migraines. If I do get one now, my meds work instead of it lasting for days.

March 6, 2014 1:59 PM
Review by Ej19772005: User Rating:

amitriptyline: For Migraine

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 20, 2014 4:50 PM
Review by Finally some relief: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I have been suffering from chronic migraines for 18 yrs. Smells, sounds, foods trigger them and sometimes last for 2 weeks. My Dr started me on 25mg of Amitriptyline at bedtime. Instant relief. First 2 weeks it would knock me out & when I woke I would be drowsy and float through work. Not even a headache for 28 days! 29th day, migraines were back, not as bad. Dr. upped my dosage to 50mg. So far so good. Side effects I have experienced: Dizziness, drowsiness, & dry mouth.

December 9, 2013 1:09 AM
Review by nspired0104: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I've been a chronic migraine sufferer my entire life. Literally, I even had migraines as a young child, which my neurologist informed me was very rare?.. I was diagnosed with chronic complicated migraine averaging 20 plus headache days a month. id get migraine attacks where I'd repeatedly get slammed with migraines lasting up to 15 days where I couldn't function in a row. She put me on verapramil twice a day which helped slightly for a few months then did nothing so she put me on the amitriptyline a few days ago. I started at 25 mg at night and in a few days up to 50mg. It does help me sleep.. and my migraines today are substantially less. Hoping it keeps getting better!

November 17, 2013 9:03 PM
Review by Rynn82: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I have a brain tumour, epilepsy and chronic migraines. I take Elavil 200mg daily and Lamictal 400mg. Compared to the multiple meds and combos my drs had me on, Elavil has worked the best for me. It doesn't stop them (migraines) but my headache hell has improved and post seizure headaches are less severe. With the high dosage of both meds it's given I'll feel side effects but overall no major signs of toxicity as I did with other meds.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 9, 2013 11:23 PM
Review by Shazza1968: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I was put on this medication 50mg nightly to stop migraine/headaches during the day, I have multiple sclerosis and suffer from a lot of neuropathic pain also. I am on Lyrica 300mg twice daily, both of these medications have caused weight gain. I have slowly weaned myself off the endep and now am suffering from dizziness, hoping this will pass. But my concern is that endep is also for treatment of depression, was I being medicated under false pretenses and now that I am off it will suffer from depression. MS is a hard illness to deal with at the best of times, will I now not handle my disease ?? Time will tell.

October 28, 2013 11:41 PM
Review by Bendelep: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I don't like taking medication, but my headaches were now in a state of chronic tension/migraine being triggered by anything excessive like exercising, too much cleaning, too much activity, too much light or stress. I was prescribed Elavil for headaches, irritable bowel syndrome, sleep trouble, back, neck, and arm pain. I've taken it for a week, and after one dose, the first thing I noticed was an awesome night's sleep, and no neck or jaw pain, pain on rising. I feel completely relaxed in the morning, a little drowsy but am able to function and get my three kids to school. I have been taking it at 10pm and feel tired until noon, so I think I'm going to take it earlier in the evening. I haven't noticed any side effects at all. I am taking 10 mg.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 13, 2013 2:43 PM
Review by karajf: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I've tried at least 10 different medications. I've been on Lyrica for 4 months, now on Elavil of 10 mgs. I try to take it at 9pm, it helps me sleep. I go to bed at 1am but not all the time. And it helps me a lot with my chronic migraines however when I wake up at 10am, go back to bed an hour later, then wake up at 3:30pm.

October 8, 2013 12:44 AM
Review by luckysmom (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

amitriptyline: I have been on this medicine for over ten years, plus a beta blocker for my migraines and blood pressure. I thought I could wean off of Amitripyline as my migraines were fairly under control. About a month off of it, my head was killing me several times a week. Now I take Amitripyline without question, and without pain.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 3, 2013 9:43 AM
Review by Migraine ughhh: User Rating:

amitriptyline: As far as helping me with my migraines it helped out a lot. I had absolutely none after 3 weeks of taking the medication, however it made me feel like a zombie throughout the day and for some reason when I didn't take it exactly on time I wouldn't be unable to fall asleep at night. I also gained a great amount of weight.

October 2, 2013 9:23 PM
Review by GTwinzMom (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

amitriptyline: I had been taking propranolol for migraine prevention, but I was still taking Imitrex more often than I should have. I moved to a new town and met with a PA who suggested Amitriptyline. Wow! I went 2 weeks straight without a headache and have taken Imitrex only twice in the past 3.5 weeks. It has been like a miracle for me. The only side effect I've had was some afternoon sleepiness, but that passed after the first week. If you feel like you get headaches every day, ask your doctor about this medication.

September 20, 2013 10:50 PM
Review by Gerbras: User Rating:

Endep (amitriptyline): Started getting migraines at 18. I'm now 46. Vomiting so bad I used to go to hospital 1-2x per month to go on a drip to rehydrate. Made a professional career virtually impossible. Been on Sandomigran for 25 years. Had every possible treatment. Then 5 years ago a hospital locum prescribed Endep. That was the end of my migraines. I was suicidal for 2-3 weeks but then back to normal. I now take 1 x 50mg tab every second night. Endep is brilliant!

September 20, 2013 8:34 AM
Review by Thankful for amitriptyline (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

amitriptyline: I started having headaches about 2 and a half years ago. I had at least 3 per week. Then it got to the point where I had a headache literally EVERY SINGLE DAY. After 2 MRIs, countless blood tests, an eye exam, and seeing a neurologist, no one could tell me why I had a headache every day. It got to the point I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, and couldn't get anything done. My head hurt so bad I couldn't move some days. FINALLY a doctor prescribed me 25mg of amitriptyline once a day. I've been on it for 3 weeks now and have only had 2 light headaches since taking it. This medicine seriously saved my life. I got so depressed from constant pain. The first week I started taking amitriptyline I was drowsy but I'm fine now. I take it every night before bed.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 15, 2013 10:18 PM
Review by silverbearx: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I suffer from a migraine almost every day of the week. I missed 3 months of school from January to March and failed all my exams because of them. I started on 10mg of amitriptyline and had no effect. Over a period of about 5 months I had reached a 40mg dosage everyday and still had no effect. Still suffering from migraines almost every day. On my 4th tablet now so hopefully this one might work! Glad it worked for some people though.

August 28, 2013 1:23 PM
Review by Bry122 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

amitriptyline: I was on Elavil 10mg previously for a few years and had only a handful of migraines in all that time. I decided to stop it for a year to see how I would feel, eventually I went back to 4-5 migraine days a week. I've been on it for two weeks again, most of the initial side effects have subsided (dizziness, fatigue and dry mouth - nothing unbearable) and I have not had a single migraine since I took the first pill. I'm now on 20mg - I take it to also help with arthritic pain and symptoms of Crohn's disease. I feel better than I have in a long time. I sleep amazing and wake up feeling good and energized. I have never experienced weight gain on this medication - however I do eat very healthy and exercise regularly.

August 26, 2013 6:56 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

amitriptyline: I've been getting moderate migraines and missing school because of them and they were causing a lot of stress and my grades were dropping. Now I take amitriptyline 10mg morning and night and if I didn't have much sleep or other problems I get these pseudo migraines which feel similar without being miserable and having a lot of pain and symptoms. I used to get migraines from too little fluids so I don't know if the medicines are causing the dry mouth or if I have it anyway. I don't get sleepiness during the day, but I do get 9 1/2 hrs to sleep (I'm a teenager and I need that much sleep). It also helped me with social anxiety which I've dealt with all my life. Only problem is if I skip a night dose, I wake up feeling stressed and headachy.

August 18, 2013 9:13 AM
Review by megustamex: User Rating:

amitriptyline: Amazing medicine. I had migraines for 20 years and they had worsened to twice a week with no relief from Axert, which had worked relatively well in the past. I tried Topamax and experienced horrible mood swings, anger and hyperactivity. Went on Amitriptyline and gradually moved up to 50mg as it wasn't fully effective at lower doses. Once I reached 50mg my migraines went down to twice a month. Even better, the Axert works much more effectively when I do have a migraine. I had dry mouth early on but this went away. The only other side effect is occasional dizziness when I stand up (but this only happens about once a week and clears after a few seconds), which is common on this medicine. It has totally changed my life.

May 31, 2013 12:59 AM
Review by Jake v (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

amitriptyline: When I was a child I suffered severe migraines almost every day. I would have to lay in a dark room and most times they would be so bad I would vomit. After running extensive tests doctors decided to put me on amitriptyline. I can't recall the exact dosage but I was on it for a couple years. It worked like a charm and I get probably 1 or 2 migraines a month. Wonderful medicine!

May 29, 2013 10:38 PM
Review by Migraine82: User Rating:

amitriptyline: Works great to control my migraines it cut the frequency in half. Before starting this medication I would suffer migraines 3-4x/week. And the days that I didn't have a migraine, I still felt "foggy". However after only 6 weeks on it I gained 30 lbs, had urinary retention.

April 21, 2013 2:15 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

amitriptyline: After I had kids I started getting migraines. I've had them for over 5 yrs. I started taking this medication and I've been on them for a little over a month. The first few days (2 or 3) I slept like a rock. I even felt weird like I was in a dream. Those side effects went away after the third day. I haven't had 1 migraine since I started taking this medication, and I'm able to sleep through the night too. I would recommend this to anyone with migraines.

April 19, 2013 2:22 AM
Review by Bugsybooboo (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

amitriptyline: After 20 years of migraine suffering I went private and was prescribed Amitriptyline 10mg. I took these for 5 months and barely had a headache never mind migraine. I got dry mouth and my sleeping improved also. However after 5 months the migraines have started to come back so I increased the dosage to 20-25mg, again the first few weeks I noticed the dry mouth and disturbed sleeping but this has not settled down again and migraine free. It's the best medicine I've ever had and had also helped with my neck and arm pain. I couldn't recommend it enough, a lifesaver.

April 8, 2013 6:06 AM
Review by wendee18: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I have taken this medication for six years and it has really helped with my migraines and my inability to sleep or stay asleep. I started off at 10mg and slowly increased to 50mg and have been on the same dosage for the past four. The only downside is my absolute need to take it at the same time every night in order for it to make me sleepy otherwise I can stay up the entire night if I take it later than 9pm.

April 7, 2013 10:06 PM
Review by Spy girl: User Rating:

amitriptyline: Had severe migraines for years, recently I started using Amitriptyline 25 mg and so far has worked wonderful.

February 28, 2013 10:53 PM
Review by Pete Haldi: User Rating:

amitriptyline: I had 3 to 4 migraines a week and was sleeping very badly. 2 weeks into taking amitriptylne and the migraine gone. I'm sleeping at least 7 hours a night too. I don't know if this will last, but it's working brilliantly at the moment. The initial tiredness side effect stopped 1 week in.

February 21, 2013 2:46 PM