User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Migraine Prevention

"I've taken amitriptyline off and on for 8 years & have had migraines for almost 30 years (I'm 41). 25mg cuts migraines down to 3-4/month (rather than the 5-10 /month I get with no medication), and carb cravings are quite manageable. No weight gain at 25mg, even after several months. When I tried 50mg, I had a hard time controlling carb cravings and gained 10lbs over 2 months; but, I didn't make much effort to fight carb cravings. I suspect if one exercises moderately and watches carb intake, weight gain can be avoided, even at "higher" doses (25mg+). I'm now taking 40mg. Side-effects from anti-convulsants & beta blockers were intolerable for me- far worse than the dry mouth & carb cravings I get with amitriptyline. A great drug overall."

abmtily (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 1, 2015

"I have been diagnosed with migraines since I was 9. I am 33 today. My migraines are acute and chronic. As I got older, they increased in frequency and severity. At a certaine point I was hospitalized weekly. I could no longer function as a normal person. School, excerise, relationships, friendships were impossible. It made me even more depressed that noone understood my pain and some thought I was faking it. I was finally pronounced "disabled" afew years ago which made getting a job nearly impossible. I wanted to end my life because of this many times. The 6 months ago, an ER doctor suggested Tryptizol. To me, it is a miracle drug. I only have migraines once a month with my period. I am proof that hope exists. I wish I used it sooner."

Amooli March 26, 2015

"Amitriptyline is nothing short of a miracle for me. I used to be plagued by terrible migraines. I've been taking amitriptyline for about 25 years, and I have not had a single migraine in all that time."

Charlie P (taken for 10 years or more) March 25, 2015

"I was 21 totally healthy male without ANY health problems. One morning I woke up with a horrible headache and it only continued to get worse. I experienced headaches 24 hours a day for months. I had every test known and they couldn't find anything wrong me. I have took 75mg of amitriptyline for close to 4 years now. The drug has worked wonders on me and as long as I take my medication every night, I never experience a headache unless under extreme stress. Wonder drug, mild side effects. First few years dry mouth was really intense. It is harder for me to fall asleep now, have to take 5-10mg of melatonin as well. Hoping to ween off the medication shortly tho, as I don't want my whole life to be controlled through a pill bottle."

Chrissss March 22, 2015

"My daughter is16. She started getting migraines around age 12. At first they were every 3 months for a year then once a month and this last year at age 15 they became two or three times a week! We tried Imitrex nose spray and once the urgent care gave her Fioricet. Nothing worked. She had severe aura, loss of vision then the headache followed by vomiting. Also once she was given Topamax which had too many bad side effects. She will be going to Germany for one year as a foreign exchange student and I was going to have to cancel that if we couldn't find a way to get this under control. I took her to a children's neurologist and she gave her Amitriptyline. It has been an absolute miracle for us!! No side effects & NO more migraines!"

Litzlogs March 21, 2015

"Brought daily migraine headaches down to 1-4 a month"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2015

"I've been on Elavil 10 mg at bedtime for now 2 weeks. I like the sedation effect. I have no side effects such as dry mouth or increase appetite. But I do have constipation and my major concern is that I have more headaches."

lou8204 (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2015

"Was getting head aches/migraines 4-5 times a week started this pill at 10mg and head aches went down to 1-2 a month and very mild. Amazing pill.. life changing for me! Be careful if you change your dose.. went up to 20mg a day and headaches came back so now back at 10mg and so far so good! Amazing amazing amazing!"

steph31 January 15, 2015

"I normally get headaches or migraines approx 4-5 times a week and have for many years. I have tried many different medications and nothing seemed to help or stop them. Finally I was given this pill and am taking 10mg per day. Since I have been on this medication I get 1-2 minor head aches in a month! Amazing! Life changing! My nuerologist decided to up my pill to 20mg per day to see if it would completely get rid of them and since I started the 20mg my headaches and migraines have come back! I have now gone back to the 10mg per day and am hoping it will go back to the almost none existent headaches and migraines. So far so good. So be careful changing your dose otherwise such an amazing life changing pill for me! No side effects for me."

steph31 January 15, 2015

"This medicine doesn't help with my migraines at all! And it gives me nightmares and very vivid dreams. It also interrupts my sleep. "

cookie3682 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 7, 2014

"I was originally prescribed Amitriptyline for pain prevention. I found Amitriptyline to be sedative even on very low doses (5mg). I adjusted to each increase in dose, however I had to stop at 15mg per day as it was too sedative and causing me to be light sleeper. I went back down to 5mg a day for a couple of months. However the medicine wasn't helping much with the pain. I've since been prescribed Nortriptyline."

Nickname already in use November 30, 2014

"Currently being 15, I've had migraines about everyday since I was 11 and I was prescribed this medication a few months ago. It worked okay for a few weeks, most days of the week I'd be migraine free. Now though, I get my daily migraines regardless of taking it and I believe I've been heavily hallucinating for the past month or two and I had a night terror. And because of these hallucinations, I haven't been able to sleep well. I get maybe 4-5 hours of sleep everyday. The only positive aspect I can think of is that its helped me socialize better, I'm not so nervous about speaking anymore."

iomsp November 29, 2014

"My headaches are tension, rather than migraine. However, the pain was just intense and debilitating. I was missing work a couple times a month due to these headaches. Dr. started my on this med and since then I have had only 2 severe headaches. Dr. also told me that if I do still get one of them, this med would relieve the pain much faster and headache would go away faster."

xavalyss (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 25, 2014

"I have been taking 25mg amitriptyline for over a year now. My migraines have almost disappeared which is very good as I was having 2 a month lasting up to 3 days each. I've had Migraines since I was 14 and had hoped that I would start to get better after the age of 60. But not so I'm 68 now and will continue the pills though I'm worried about long term use. I get it on the national health here."

andreabilly November 12, 2014

"So far I am AMAZED. I have had chronic migriane for past 15 years at least twice a week on a good week, I am 45 now. Before it was occasional like once a month since a teenager. I work in a fairly high stress professional office environment. It has affected my work and mood negatively. I have absolutely tried everything before I recently tried amitriptyline from acupuncture, diet, meditation, homeopath, blood pressure pills, massage therapy and 3 neurologists. (Imitrex works but I was to reliant on it). I was very groggy the next day for 1 week on 25 ml of amitriptyline at night around dinner time. Which didn't go well with my career and thought I would have to stop it but I read here it does go away and it did! 3 Weeks in and no migraine."

Brock777 November 11, 2014

"I have suffered from migraine on and off since my teens always visual patterns then wham! the headache. A few years ago I just had the patterns and no pain then it changed to tension neck pain which which then turned into headache as soon as I woke up more or less daily. Imigran helped but was popping them like smarties. I tried giving up all the known triggers but nothing helped then a couple of months ago Dr prescribed Amitriptyline 25mgs every night I have had maybe 2 or 3 slight headaches since. First week I was a little woozy but that passed. Now I wake up with a dry mouth and food tastes different but no headache. It used to be unusual to wake up with no headache now its unusual to wake up with one. I recommend anyone to give it a try."

Bobbywill (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2014

139 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Have had migraine since 15. Tried everything including this medication over the past 18 years and nothing ever helped. This is just one of the meds that made my migraines worse which sometimes I thought was impossible. Started Botox for chronic migraine in March and it's amazing!"

Gemma A September 4, 2014

"I have chronic Lyme disease and one of the worst things I suffer with is pain, EVERY DAY for the last 6 years. I have tried many things to help, both homeopathic and medicines prescribed by a doctor. I found a new doctor months ago who prescribed me Elavil. I'm always a bit apprehensive about taking medicines even though I know I don't have much choice if I want my life back. So I agreed to try 10mg of Elavil at bedtime every night. I can't believe how much it has helped. After four days, I woke up pain free for the first time in 6 years and I actually had a good cry! It's been a miracle. I've been far more active lately and am even aiming to get back to work again. I hope that other people with Lyme/chronic headaches see this and try it too."

LindzO September 4, 2014

"30 to 40 min after taking migraine was twice as bad and both arms felt like they where on fire, another one to add to the list of things I react strangely to."

11walker11 August 21, 2014

"Had migraines since I was 6. The past 1.5 year's I've had migraine every single day. I'm now 33 years old and have this medicine since February this year. The first 3 months I had 25 mg, now 10mg. Headaches were completely gone. Since I have the lower dosage, it's coming back a bit so I will go back to 20 -25mg. This is the first medicine that's actually working so I am very happy with it !"

Tessa2211 August 12, 2014

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Stopped my migraines. Hard to get over the side effects. Hard to get out of bed in the morning but well worth it. Side effects go away after a month or so."

bulldog2222 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 8, 2014

"I'm 27 years old, I was diagnosed with Acute Migraines and my family Dr. prescribed me Amitriptyline HCL 25MG right before Bed. I have had no headaches since then never told I would feel better. But my sensitivity to light has become very bad and I spend the morning hours very sleepy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2014

"Suffered all my life and this medicine was the best thing to ever happen to me!"

nas9999 July 20, 2014

"I been suffering with migraines for 6 years. I was hospitalized because of nausea, dizziness, blurred vision etc. 6 years ago and my nuerologist prescribed me Imitrex (Sumatriptan) and Fioricet. The Imitrex stops the migraines as soon as I took them but the Fioricet was the pill that I was suppose to take on a daily use. But the migraines just kept on coming everyday. Not a day go by without a constant migraine. I was recently hospitalized and was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis ... my doctor in the hospital was a neurologist. I was not sleeping and started suffering from insomnia. My neurologist prescribed me Amitriptyline HCL 10MG. Yesterday was the first time I took the pill and its a miracle. No migraines today."

Annesa (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2014

"I have had migraines going on 20 yrs now. I've been on a beta blocker blood pressure medicine and Topamax. Topamax decreased the headaches somewhat, but at the cost of very debilitating side effects of fatigue and depression and rapid weight loss that never stopped, therefore my Dr. stopped it. I recently changed drs and for the 1st time in twenty years someone decided to try something new, amitriptyline. I've also suffered insomnia. My doctor suggested preventing migraines and treating insomnia with amitriptyline. I've had one flare up in the past 3 months and sleep soundly through the night! Amitripyline has caused weight gain but I am still healthy. I'll take the weight gain over the migraines any day!"

madarcey (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2014