User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline review summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Fibromyalgia

Review by Megcait (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline): Take at night, and once I fall asleep, it helps. Doesn't stop the pain/discomfort of trying to get comfortable to fall asleep.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2014 4:10 PM

Review by lsalsgiver:

I take Amitriptyline for nerve damage resulting from my stroke. I started to itch in the evenings as a result of the nerve damage. This really helps and I sleep well with this medicine too.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 7:47 AM

Review by GloomyEeyore:

I was prescribed this medication to help with the pain of fibromyalgia at night. I was started on 10mg and gradually upped to 30mg. I find I am sleeping better as the pain is not waking me during the night. I have had no side effects and a bonus is it has also helped ease my severe anxiety disorder a little. Thinking about asking if my dose can be upped to help with the anxiety.

April 24, 2014 9:23 PM

Review by Shelle518 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Elavil (amitriptyline): While it doesn't take away all the pain it has helped with the tiredness and the feeling that I was wearing a lead suit. I still have bad days but so far I am pleased with this medication. It has helped me more than any other medication that I have tried.

February 26, 2014 1:11 AM

Review by Guidebridge:

Just started on 10mg at night to help me sleep I have degenerative disk same symptoms as fibromyalgia. Sleeping better now, feel a bit better . Only my first week no side effects my GP told me to drink hot water everyday.

December 12, 2013 6:25 AM

Review by Lemmingham:

Endep (amitriptyline): I have been on Endep for Fibromyalgia for 10 years. At first the affect was awesome, for the first time in many years I slept properly and had hardly any pain. Over the years though, this has changed. I started off on 50mg per day and over the years had to have it increased to the maximum does of 150mg. Recently I have been having heart palpatations and an increased heart rate. My doctor has put it down to the extended time I have been on Endep at such a high rate. So now I am on a drug to lower my heart rate, which works well, but my doctor is getting me to try to cut down on the Endep with a view of going off it altogether and hopefully also going off the drug that I need to lower my heart rate. It's not working I'm in too much pain

November 5, 2013 3:36 AM

Review by Yikes!:

Elavil (amitriptyline): I have only been taking Elavil for two weeks but I've been in pain for twenty years, I also have big problems sleeping and staying asleep. Since I started Elavil I have less pain plus I sleep well. I actually had a no pain day which I have not had in a long time.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2013 2:33 PM

Review by Zaneygirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Elavil (amitriptyline): I was diagnosed 14 yrs ago with Fibromyalgia. My doctor prescribed Elavil.10 mg. per day. It helped me sleep better but heart began beating to fast and was discontinued. Helped a little with pain.

September 30, 2013 7:05 AM

Review by AlyssaLS (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My 10 rating is for the medicine's effectiveness for insomnia, not pain. I used to take lots of medications, including amitriptyline. I gained 20 pounds. To lose weight, I started adhering to a plant-based diet and exercising. After 4 months of diet and exercise, my pain was almost gone, so I dropped all of my medications. After that, I lost 15 pounds. A few months later, my insomnia came back. Because I wasn't sleeping, my pain increased again. So, I started back on amitriptyline. I take 30mg 4-5hrs before bed. It takes a few weeks to kick-in as a sleep aid and it might cause night-sweats for about a month. After a month, I started sleeping like a rock and I have no side-effects or weight gain. My previous weight-gain was due to Gabapentin.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2013 10:43 AM

Review by Minders8:

Elavil (amitriptyline): Helped me fall asleep, but I didn't stay asleep so it had no real impact in helping my pain.

January 9, 2013 11:49 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have had Fibro for 10 years (7 years since diagnosis). Amitriptyline has been the only constant help. All other medications have had no effect. Amitriptyline almost eliminates back pain (hasn't helped any other muscle pains. A dose of 75mg taken before bed gives me a full night's sleep. Side effects of weight gain, dry mouth and urinary retention just have to be managed until I can find anything better.

November 7, 2012 8:46 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Took this for leg pain that was from unknown cause, possibly pinched nerve or peripheral neuropathy. It seemed to help some with pain, maybe 30% reduction at 25mg dose. But I was sleeping 20 hours a day, real groggy when awake, and having severe stomach pains and constipation. I stopped after 2 weeks of this. I thought it was just side effects but my doctor diagnosed it as an allergic reaction.

September 2, 2012 3:56 AM

Review by denise pierre (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I take it for sleep. Started on a low dose and increased later. I am not on 75mg per day. It is not expensive and is an old medicine so side effects are well studied. Only issue is that if I miss one dose you can feel depressed. Sleep is a huge part to conquering this. I have noted a huge difference in my sleep and how I feel on a morning. I am better able to work as well. Brain coming back.

August 23, 2012 10:11 AM

Caused blurred vision and left me feeling drowsy.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2012 11:38 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Last night was my first dose. Half of a amitriptyline 25mg tablet. I took it at quarter to midnight, but did not finally fall asleep until around 5AM. I slept for almost twelve hours. I guess I need to take it earlier if it doesn't knock me out like I expected. The light hurts my eyes today. I can't look out my window. Artificial light isn't as bad, but still hurts. Despite these problems, I feel more clear than I have in months. Maybe even years. Any pain that I have is very slight, so I'm thinking that's why my doctor wanted me to take ibuprofen with this - because it will actually be able to help with my pain now. This is only after my first dose, but I am pretty excited. I can move around the house again like a normal person!

July 15, 2012 6:25 PM

I just started this medication for my fibromyalgia about 3 days ago. I'm already sleeping better, getting relief from my chronic migraines AND it has helped my irritable bowel syndrome. I know it's still too soon to tell but I really didn't expect results this soon. Hopefully things stay on the up and up. I have suffered from fibro for over 16 years now and have tried numerous meds.

May 22, 2012 5:34 PM

Endep (amitriptyline): I had unrefreshing sleep, and needed a lot of it. Endep is awesome as can now get a good night sleep, feel refreshed for a few hours after waking, and decreases my body aches. No negative side effects for me luckily.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 9, 2012 8:32 PM

This medicine made me so exhausted I would sleep at least 12 hours every night and I'd feel so tired all day I couldn't get anything done. And the two nights I couldn't take it when I was on it, I stayed up for over 24 hours with insomnia. It freaked me out that it would prevent me from sleeping if I didn't take it, so I got off of it quickly. It DID help some of the pain, but it wasn't worth it.

February 19, 2012 7:25 PM

Endep (amitriptyline): Endep had a very quick effect and eliminated the muscular pain that I have suffered for more than ten years. I do feel drowsy, its seems to have a calming effect on me and I sleep amazingly well.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2011 7:09 PM

Review by ewhynot:

Elavil (amitriptyline): Elavil has been a life-saver for me. I have fibromyalgia and SAD. My ability to sleep through the night with Elavil has been amazing. Previously I would wake up too early and not be able to sleep until it was time to get up. I was a wreck and thought I'd have to give up my job because I couldn't function on 4-5 hours of sleep. I find that I need 15 mg in winter months and only 10 with longer daylight days.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2011 5:26 PM

I've had Fibromyalgia for a long, very long time. I was diagnosed in the year of 1995, I also found out that due to the fibromyalgia that I have weak bones, and taking medicines increased my already there asthma. What worked for me was the amitriptyline 25mg 1 a day also a great medicine called Tolmetin Sodium 600mg, 3 x's a day. I've been taking these two medicines and have been able to work 40 hours a week with no side effects. I walk over 4 miles, hardly any pain and do strength training without having to take more medications. If you are having lots of pain due to fibromyalgia you might want to talk to your doctor and find out if you can take these two medicines together. All in all I was hugged and it didn't hurt for the first time in eight years.

June 28, 2011 1:29 PM

Review by crystalann314:

I was so excited when my pain started to get better after slowly tapering up to 100mg nightly after trying countless medications that did not help. I have been on it for 5 months now...and have gained 30 lbs even while dieting...and the past couple weeks my pain had been coming back and I am lying restless in bed at night.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 8, 2011 1:45 PM

Elavil (amitriptyline): Helps well with my anxiety as well!

April 18, 2011 2:37 PM

Elavil (amitriptyline): This medicine is a major player in my fibromyalgia. It helps me sleep through the night, because it reduces the pain at night. I went off it for a week and I never slept more then 2 hours continuously for that week. I give this medicine a thumbs up for that reason. It doesn't help at all for the pain I have ALL DAY.

April 4, 2011 8:36 PM

Review by Jasper07:

Elavil (amitriptyline): I was just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, was beginning to feel like I am losing my mind. I am 29 yrs old and some days can barely walk I hurt so bad. I have been on Elavil for headaches 10 mg is all I can handle as it knocks me out. It helps to prevent the headaches but I hurt so bad still. Thankful to be rid of headaches but wish the doctor would help!

January 17, 2011 11:23 AM