User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Review Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Fibromyalgia

"Used it for a month started at 10 mg-20 mg. One of the worst drugs I have used. It left me so sedated that I couldn't wake up in the morning and wanted to sleep all day. It helped with head aches but I couldn't concentrate, felt overly emotional, crying and angry. I found it hard to drive from lack of focus 18 hours after taking pill. I had a deep sleep, but not a restful one, the dreams were bizarre. Dry mouth and irritable too. Not worth not having a headache to have all of these problems. I am very sensitive to medication as I don't drink so it was not for me. Oh and I gained three pounds in first two weeks using it."

JJ85 (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2015

Endep (amitriptyline): "I have been on Endep for 35 years. I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and plenty more. In the last six months I have been getting very odd symptoms such as the ones provided within this article!( sudden weight gain, inability to eat properly, tiredness, rounded face,weakness, sore mouth and tongue, to slight more depression, At the moment I am on a doctor treadmill ...everyone from my endocrinologist to a neurologist, GP and many more have put their hands up saying I don't know!! The medicines work really well for fibromyalgia but after some time they can work against you! Please look at the list of side effects. I have a lot of them. Good luck!"

Rhondiga (taken for 10 years or more) December 3, 2014

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Works great"

Danvic (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 24, 2014

"Had fibromyalgia due to chronic sleep deprivation which caused severe swelling in my hands giving me carpel tunnel pain every night also had swollen knees and severe stiffness. After months of trying alternative therapies with no improvement I finally gave in and started taking 20mg amitriptyline. Within 3 days this medicine changed my life and I felt like a different person. Went up to 50mg but now back to 25mg and only about 75% of the time. If your health problems are caused by lack of phase four sleep, give this medicine a try."

Minniehaha2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2014

"I feel like a zombie if I don't get enough restorative sleep. I have been on 100 mg a day, but am on 75mg most of the time. I notice that most of the people that are not getting relief from the pain and insomnia are taking the smaller doses. I have been on it for probably 20 years. I can't tolerate most other medicines."

Vicki T (taken for 10 years or more) September 16, 2014

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Take at night, and once I fall asleep, it helps. Doesn't stop the pain/discomfort of trying to get comfortable to fall asleep."

Megcait (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 24, 2014

"I take Amitriptyline for nerve damage resulting from my stroke. I started to itch in the evenings as a result of the nerve damage. This really helps and I sleep well with this medicine too."

lsalsgiver June 9, 2014

"I was prescribed this medication to help with the pain of fibromyalgia at night. I was started on 10mg and gradually upped to 30mg. I find I am sleeping better as the pain is not waking me during the night. I have had no side effects and a bonus is it has also helped ease my severe anxiety disorder a little. Thinking about asking if my dose can be upped to help with the anxiety."

GloomyEeyore April 24, 2014

Elavil (amitriptyline): "While it doesn't take away all the pain it has helped with the tiredness and the feeling that I was wearing a lead suit. I still have bad days but so far I am pleased with this medication. It has helped me more than any other medication that I have tried."

Shelle518 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 26, 2014

"Just started on 10mg at night to help me sleep I have degenerative disk same symptoms as fibromyalgia. Sleeping better now, feel a bit better . Only my first week no side effects my GP told me to drink hot water everyday. "

Guidebridge December 12, 2013

Endep (amitriptyline): "I have been on Endep for Fibromyalgia for 10 years. At first the affect was awesome, for the first time in many years I slept properly and had hardly any pain. Over the years though, this has changed. I started off on 50mg per day and over the years had to have it increased to the maximum does of 150mg. Recently I have been having heart palpatations and an increased heart rate. My doctor has put it down to the extended time I have been on Endep at such a high rate. So now I am on a drug to lower my heart rate, which works well, but my doctor is getting me to try to cut down on the Endep with a view of going off it altogether and hopefully also going off the drug that I need to lower my heart rate. It's not working I'm in too much pain"

Lemmingham November 5, 2013

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I have only been taking Elavil for two weeks but I've been in pain for twenty years, I also have big problems sleeping and staying asleep. Since I started Elavil I have less pain plus I sleep well. I actually had a no pain day which I have not had in a long time."

Yikes! September 30, 2013

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I was diagnosed 14 yrs ago with Fibromyalgia. My doctor prescribed Elavil.10 mg. per day. It helped me sleep better but heart began beating to fast and was discontinued. Helped a little with pain."

Zaneygirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2013

"My 10 rating is for the medicine's effectiveness for insomnia, not pain. I used to take lots of medications, including amitriptyline. I gained 20 pounds. To lose weight, I started adhering to a plant-based diet and exercising. After 4 months of diet and exercise, my pain was almost gone, so I dropped all of my medications. After that, I lost 15 pounds. A few months later, my insomnia came back. Because I wasn't sleeping, my pain increased again. So, I started back on amitriptyline. I take 30mg 4-5hrs before bed. It takes a few weeks to kick-in as a sleep aid and it might cause night-sweats for about a month. After a month, I started sleeping like a rock and I have no side-effects or weight gain. My previous weight-gain was due to Gabapentin."

AlyssaLS (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 14, 2013

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Helped me fall asleep, but I didn't stay asleep so it had no real impact in helping my pain."

Minders8 January 9, 2013

"I have had Fibro for 10 years (7 years since diagnosis). Amitriptyline has been the only constant help. All other medications have had no effect. Amitriptyline almost eliminates back pain (hasn't helped any other muscle pains. A dose of 75mg taken before bed gives me a full night's sleep. Side effects of weight gain, dry mouth and urinary retention just have to be managed until I can find anything better."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 7, 2012

"Took this for leg pain that was from unknown cause, possibly pinched nerve or peripheral neuropathy. It seemed to help some with pain, maybe 30% reduction at 25mg dose. But I was sleeping 20 hours a day, real groggy when awake, and having severe stomach pains and constipation. I stopped after 2 weeks of this. I thought it was just side effects but my doctor diagnosed it as an allergic reaction."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2012

"I take it for sleep. Started on a low dose and increased later. I am not on 75mg per day. It is not expensive and is an old medicine so side effects are well studied. Only issue is that if I miss one dose you can feel depressed. Sleep is a huge part to conquering this. I have noted a huge difference in my sleep and how I feel on a morning. I am better able to work as well. Brain coming back."

denise pierre (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2012

"Caused blurred vision and left me feeling drowsy."

Anonymous July 30, 2012

"Last night was my first dose. Half of a amitriptyline 25mg tablet. I took it at quarter to midnight, but did not finally fall asleep until around 5AM. I slept for almost twelve hours. I guess I need to take it earlier if it doesn't knock me out like I expected. The light hurts my eyes today. I can't look out my window. Artificial light isn't as bad, but still hurts. Despite these problems, I feel more clear than I have in months. Maybe even years. Any pain that I have is very slight, so I'm thinking that's why my doctor wanted me to take ibuprofen with this - because it will actually be able to help with my pain now. This is only after my first dose, but I am pretty excited. I can move around the house again like a normal person!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2012

"I just started this medication for my fibromyalgia about 3 days ago. I'm already sleeping better, getting relief from my chronic migraines AND it has helped my irritable bowel syndrome. I know it's still too soon to tell but I really didn't expect results this soon. Hopefully things stay on the up and up. I have suffered from fibro for over 16 years now and have tried numerous meds."

Anonymous May 22, 2012

Endep (amitriptyline): "I had unrefreshing sleep, and needed a lot of it. Endep is awesome as can now get a good night sleep, feel refreshed for a few hours after waking, and decreases my body aches. No negative side effects for me luckily."

Anonymous May 9, 2012

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medicine made me so exhausted I would sleep at least 12 hours every night and I'd feel so tired all day I couldn't get anything done. And the two nights I couldn't take it when I was on it, I stayed up for over 24 hours with insomnia. It freaked me out that it would prevent me from sleeping if I didn't take it, so I got off of it quickly. It DID help some of the pain, but it wasn't worth it."

Anonymous February 19, 2012

Endep (amitriptyline): "Endep had a very quick effect and eliminated the muscular pain that I have suffered for more than ten years. I do feel drowsy, its seems to have a calming effect on me and I sleep amazingly well."

Anonymous December 17, 2011

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Elavil has been a life-saver for me. I have fibromyalgia and SAD. My ability to sleep through the night with Elavil has been amazing. Previously I would wake up too early and not be able to sleep until it was time to get up. I was a wreck and thought I'd have to give up my job because I couldn't function on 4-5 hours of sleep. I find that I need 15 mg in winter months and only 10 with longer daylight days. "

ewhynot October 15, 2011