User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline review summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 4 medications used in the treatment of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome

Review by happy healthy girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had cyclical vomiting syndrome for about a year and a half and was diagnosed about two months ago, as soon as I was diagnosed I was put on amitriptyline. The only side effect I have noticed is a bit of sleepiness, but not enough to really affect my life. Amitriptyline has given me back my quality of life and I've started uni and am looking for part time work, this would never have been possible before being on amitriptyline.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 13, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by Child suffering (taken for 1 to 2 years):

My daughter was diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome at age 10, she lost 13 lb on a few week time frame. She had a EGD and other test. The doctor then prescribed Amitriptyline 25 mg at bedtime if helped. She stayed on it the entire school year, we then took her off of it for the summer. Things were going great until this week and she has had to episodes we will be starting her back on it today. We also use Zofran as needed.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2014 2:42 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome almost 2 years ago. I have been on Amitriptyline for about a year and a half. I recently went off because I ran out of refills and my insurance changed making a specialist visit expensive. Within a week I was extremely nauseous. The doctor called me in more and I started talking it again. Within a few days it went away. I am so thankful for this medication.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by Barry G:

Have been on Amitrip for three years now and haven't had a cyclic vomiting syndrome episode. My gastro doctor tried as last resort and it works. 25 mg at bedtime my bouts started like clock work at 8 am. My last episode lasted from June 18th to July 4th. 3 different hospital stays. My weight went from 235 lbs to 180 lbs. Thought my life was ending. I was skeptical that this pill at bedtime would do anything. But I couldn't have been more wrong, it saved my life so for anyone reading this please try this treatment and I hope you are as lucky as me. I am 57 years old.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 14, 2014 10:34 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I had my first episode of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome about 3.5 years ago. It was sometime until the doctors and I figured out what it actually was. Nonstop throwing up for 2-6 days about once a month. What made them severe I guess was the amount of vomiting. A few times I had double I.V's because they could not rehydrate me as fast as the vomiting was dehydrating me. If you have CVS and are reading this I just want to say I am truly sorry. It was a miserable and emotional ride for me and the people that care about me. I can truly say I feel your pain and I pray that you find peace. I fought the doctors about taking this but when I finally gave in, IT WORKED. Not one episode since then (about 1 year and 6 months). I was skeptical at first BUT IT WORKED! 25MG.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2013 1:21 AM

Review by Brooklynchase:

I have been sick for over 4 years now and been on this for the past 2 weeks and its been a miracle. I haven't been sick or in pain once. I don't mean I just vomit, I start and I can't stop for 19 of 30 days. So far the minute I took one, that night I have been more relaxed and less sick have been able to cut down my oxycodone and Zofran so I am thankful. I will let you know how it continues to go but so far its my miracle.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2013 12:29 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Began having Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome in November 2012. Hospitalized several times. We also found that I have a vestibular issue causing me to throw up. That has resolved but left with this CVS. I started taking this medication about 3 weeks ago and I think it helps. Started 30mg dose and had an episode so increasing to 40mg and holding, if I get sick I can increase to 50mg. I am struggling with anxiety, which I had before this all started. Increase anxiety to severe state as I never know if this vomiting thing is going to come back. Overall, it works. Side effects are not bad at all. Anxiety is almost unbearable, which is not a side effect of this medication. I think it is a side effect of having CVS.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2013 6:53 PM

Review by glow1242 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After vomiting for 3-4 days solid, every 4/5 weeks for 6/7 months (starting at age 45), went to see consultant Doctor. Underwent brain scan etc. to rule out any other causes to the vomiting, diagnosed as cyclic vomiting syndrome and started 10mg amitriptyline a day. Cured! No vomiting for 3 months now, brilliant!

December 23, 2012 5:17 PM

Review by chez12 (taken for 10 years or more):

I started with cyclic vomiting syndrome when I was 14, and was in out of hospital for years. It got to the point I suffered with an episode every week with only 3 days in between, until I was 22. I then saw a doctor that had heard of CVS, and he prescribed Amitriptyline every night and Zofran when an episode started, since then, now I'm 32, I have not had an episode. I still take Amitriptyline every night but it has defiantly stopped CVS and is a miracle for me.

November 12, 2012 6:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Elavil (amitriptyline): I really like this medicine because it calms my nerves right down. I am now entering week 3 of a rather bad episode of cyclic vomiting syndrome. (Started 5/3/12) but any how when I can keep them down these are the best for my nerves and reasonably priced as well.

May 17, 2012 5:23 PM

We find this medication one of our lifesavers. My son began Cyclic vomiting syndrome when he was 5 years old. Started out with a bang and he would spend one week per month in the hospital for over a year and a half. We did finally resort to both a G and J Tube. One for nutrition and one to bypass the stomach during episodes to give medicines, fluids and nutrition. However, we use the Elavil every night and use Ativan as well as Zofran during an active cycle or right when we see one coming on to abort as well as loads of fluids. We have tried to experiment and "see" what happens without the Elavil and it was bad. Within a week of not having it, right on the money comes an active Episode. My son is now 13, we still have the Tubes in place and use all the medicines listed.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2011 1:07 PM

Review by cvs girl:

Elavil (amitriptyline): So far, Elavil is the only thing that seems to help on a daily basis with my cyclic vomiting syndrome. A drug I have used to abort an episode is Maxalt, which I think it is the same class of as Imitrex.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 30, 2011 7:38 PM

Elavil (amitriptyline): Elavil helped immediately.

March 26, 2011 3:59 PM

Does not have the constipation side effect of nortriptyline, which is a plus if you ask me. With the help of my physician, I have looked for a miracle and the answer came with a combo of amitriptyline-topamax. It is not the ultimate cure (I still get an episode here and there, but hey I can take being sick once a month or month and a half), but in the meantime, no vomiting, no migraine, no "can-someone-hand-me-that-screwdriver" if you know what I mean. It worked for me, hope it helps someone else.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate