User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Anxiety and Stress

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I have been on about everything you can imagine for my stress and anxiety. Nothing worked and for years I have been miserable. I was put on Elavil and didn't feel much of an effect but once the doctor bumped me up to 100mgs a day, I am a new person. It has changed my life. I wake up and feel like dancing!"

AngelWolf12 January 21, 2016

Elavil (amitriptyline): "I have tried almost every medicine for GAD (Xanax, celexa, paxil, wellbutrin, lamictal, seroquel, buspar) but it seems that Amitriptyline is the only drug that work for me. I also take 300 mg of Lyrica for chronic pain and 150 mg of Effexor Xr in the morning and 50 mg of Amitriptyline before sleep. It changed my life."

zeko23 December 7, 2015

"I have borderline personality disorder and this medication combined with buspar and cymbalta has really helped the anxiety and depression I struggle with without worsening my BPD symptoms."

Abby12gat December 6, 2015

"I was prescribed this to help with my concussion that wasn't going away. It helped me sleep good throughout the night. The first few days i was extremely tired and had a hard time staying awake in school, but once your body gets used to it it works really good- it got rid of my headaches and made me less stressed"

T Blark (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2015

"Since my car accident a little over year ago I shattered my femur, had a compound fracture in my tib and fib and had previous issues with my back, bad L4 and L5 herniations and my S1 is also herniated as my sacrum was fractured in the accident. It was a very traumatic accident, if you saw the pictures of my car you would have a hard time believing anybody lived through it so I now have lots of hardware in my left leg and no idea what happened. I had my dogs in the car and they didn't have a scratch. Been through 3 surgeries and numerous hospital stays and last weekend my 20 y/o "bf"/(was dating him) passed on, this medication has really helped me to be able to sleep through the night; including helping with pain, depression, anxiety & grief"

Erica0424mocha November 8, 2015

"This has helped a lot. Less over thinking, more positive first thing. It actually worked for me"

nunz November 5, 2015

Endep (amitriptyline): "Dramatic weight gain, heartburn, sleeplessness"

Me and everyone else September 13, 2015

"5 years ago, my gastro Dr put me on this med for nerve pain. I was not having to take it each night, usually 3 to 4 nights of as little as 12mg, sometimes even less at 6.5 mg did the trick. I found that the medication made it a bit harder to wake up in the morning but I was able to sleep thru the night. I am now having trouble sleeping due to increased stress and anxiety and the medication has been helpful in helping me sleep. Only issue for me has been the dry mouth in the morning which is manageable, I also try to eat right and exercise daily which has helped my anxiety. In reading the reviews, I can certainly relate to what many of you are going thru. Unless you've been thru it, people have no idea what its like."

TommyABC July 27, 2015

"Hi I have been on 25mg since a year and half ego. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. I refuse to take any mess but it got so bad I had to do something. My pcp put me on zoloft ..that pill gave me such bad side effects I though was going to die..so I went to a psychiatrist and she put me on elavil I wad so nervousabout starting new medication but I knew I had to try it she prescribe 25 milligrams 3 times a day I know my body and I knew that was a high dose for an so I started with 25mg..and yes it made me really really tired so I took it at night and within 2 weeks I felt so much better.I still get tired but it helps me sleep I love this medication"

Missy83 June 15, 2015

"I have stress for 5 years since I had car accident. Every day I feel very uncomfortable and wish I could have a normal life. I went to this page and decided to take this drug. I got my life back."

Anonymous June 12, 2015

"I have been on benzodiazepines for several years..unfortunately i had recently upped the dosage to 2 mg due to family stress and felt more depressed and panicking , craving for benzos... i then switched to amytriptiline, an unbelievable tiny dosage 2 mg, 1 drop a day..i have been taking it for aroind 10 days before going to bed... it helped a lot and i was able to discontinue benzos from day 1 (when i actually took 4 mg amytriptiline, 2 drops ,slept for 12 hours and woke up in the morning feeling...new, with a clear mind, no more tortured by anxiety and panick attacks.... i know this seems incredible at such a low dose... i m just wondering if this has a scientific explanation because im sure it is no placebo effect"

Mauve June 5, 2015

"I was given 100 mg a day to treat migraines. I ended up not having migraines but chronic tension headaches which it did not help BUT it helped my anxiety. I was having daily panic attacks and slowly, they were reduced. I gained 20 pounds in a few months and decided to stop taking it a month ago, feeling fine. This week the anixety has started coming back-dizziness, short of breath, panicky, etc. so I started back on 25mg. Other than the weight gain the other side effect was dry mouth so the trade of of being able tot live a normal life was worth it."

sarainadream March 3, 2015

"I've been taking this medication for about 6 months now to help treat my insomnia issues and my migraines which have disabled me at 20 years old.. It's helped a lot. I only take 10mg because I am sensitive to medication and always have been... Because it's a form of anti-depressant I was stressed to try it because Zoloft made me insane and I was afraid I'd get the same way on this... To my surprise, after going 6 years without any medication, this has worked really well. No dizziness like other meds have caused. I do get slight dry mouth. If I wake up at night it's short lived and I go back to sleep. I don't feel 'doped' up when I wake up either just able to fall asleep again.. I would recommend this medication! side effects: Dry Mouth."

Kayla bunker (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2015

"I suffered with anxiety for years and have tried many many SSRIs as well as benzos. Nothing really helped. I was put on this med for migraines and within a couple of weeks my anxiety began to melt away. My friends and family noticed a huge difference. I feel like a different person. Like I am living the life I always wanted to live, I was just always too afraid and anxious to before."

Anx no more (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 24, 2014

179 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "Gave me my life back"

marslites (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 8, 2014

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Elavil (amitriptyline): "This medication has been very effective for my anxiety. I've taken 75mg for the past 9yrs. No more heart palpitations or tightness in my chest. I have tried others prior to the Elavil, but found I woke up with a hangover and a out of body feeling. If Ii forget to order refill before I run out it takes a 3 days to feel the effects. "

anonymous1224365 September 23, 2014

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was having an anxiety disorder (shaking hands, blushing, obsessions) I was put on sertraline but had a terrible side effect to this and was put on 20mg amitriptyline to counteract this. From moment I took it my hands stopped shaking and intrusive thoughts reduced. I was upped to 50mg and I am back to my old self. Hardly any worries at all, no shaking, feel happy. No dry mouth but I have put probably a stone of weight on and gone up 1-2 dress sizes. This side effect is worth it for the benefits it has given me."

JLS80 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 1, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Initially on citalopram 20mg and felt horrible and more panicky so doctor moved me on to Sertraline 50mg and propranolol to stop the fast heart rate. Eventually built upto 100mg but still didn't solve the anxiety and restlessness that I had. Now I'm taking Amitryptyline 25mg twice a day and feel so much better. I don't feel as anxious during the day and at night when my anxiety gets worse, amitryptyline helps me get a good nights sleep. I've noticed a big difference since being on amitryptyline and with less side effects that citalopram and sertraline."

John2986 July 29, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Although I have gained 20 lbs on this medicine I feel much better overall. I take 125mg at bedtime and haven't slept so good in 25 yrs. I started on a dosage of 25 mg which did nothing. Not even make me sleepy. Had immediate relief after the dosage was regulated. This in conjunction with anti anxiety medication has helped tremendously. I just have to exercise daily and keep a watch over what I eat. But that is a small trade for the drastic change in my overall well being and frame of mind."

Socially disfinctional July 22, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I been taking this medicine for 4 months now at 50mg at bedtime and it has changed my life. Anxiety stress and depression strongly minimized. I fall instantly asleep instead of being up all night worrying. Best sleep in 20 years."

Changed my life. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2014

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've only been taking this for a month. I got 25mg of amitriptyline at night. I have anxiety attacks and sometimes I shake, this hasn't been helping at all with that. I also have insomnia which is the only thing it's helped for. I actually sleep but it gives me dry mouth and once I woke up and everything was spinning for the whole day. "

Jesterr February 13, 2014

"I'm on 100mg a day for depression. I was on 75mg which was then upped to 100mg. It helps me feel relaxed and also helps me sleep."

crystal ship (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 4, 2014

"Ive been on lorazepam 1mg 3x daily for over 10 years and recently had not been able to get them due to switching doctors and have been having horrible side effects. I've only been on this a short time but seems to help a little and going to give it more time. I've read on the reviews others which gives me hope."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2014

Endep (amitriptyline): "I've been taking 20mg of amitriptyline for 2 weeks and I have slept extremely well every night and I have so much more energy during the day. I sleep solid and right through the night which is unusual for me these days as my stressful job and back pain often leaves me anxious and tossing and turning every night and then I end up grumpy, run down and feeling sick as a result. So far it has not helped with my anxiety or depression but getting a good night sleep helps me cope and gives me energy to attend yoga and exercise. I believe the dose may be too small to help the depression. I'm also taking this as it is the most studied antidepressant used during pregnancy and the SSRI's give me insomnia. I have almost no side effects so far."

Nik85 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2013

118 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was originally prescribed 25 mg per night when I was 13 to treat Chronic Headache Syndrome (CHS). It worked like a charm. My neurologist took me off it when I was 19 because people usually outgrow CHS by adulthood. As the medication left my system, I discovered I had an anxiety disorder I never knew I had because the amitriptyline had taken care of it! Now, I'm back on 25 mg and I couldn't be happier."

x3mazda3x December 9, 2013