User Reviews for Amitriptyline

Also known as: Elavil, Endep, Vanatrip

Learn more about Amitriptyline.

Amitriptyline review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Amitriptyline to treat Anxiety and Stress

Review by marslites (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline): Gave me my life back

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by anonymous1224365:

Elavil (amitriptyline): This medication has been very effective for my anxiety. I've taken 75mg for the past 9yrs. No more heart palpitations or tightness in my chest. I have tried others prior to the Elavil, but found I woke up with a hangover and a out of body feeling. If Ii forget to order refill before I run out it takes a 3 days to feel the effects.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by JLS80 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I was having an anxiety disorder (shaking hands, blushing, obsessions) I was put on sertraline but had a terrible side effect to this and was put on 20mg amitriptyline to counteract this. From moment I took it my hands stopped shaking and intrusive thoughts reduced. I was upped to 50mg and I am back to my old self. Hardly any worries at all, no shaking, feel happy. No dry mouth but I have put probably a stone of weight on and gone up 1-2 dress sizes. This side effect is worth it for the benefits it has given me.

August 1, 2014 8:49 AM

Review by John2986:

Initially on citalopram 20mg and felt horrible and more panicky so doctor moved me on to Sertraline 50mg and propranolol to stop the fast heart rate. Eventually built upto 100mg but still didn't solve the anxiety and restlessness that I had. Now I'm taking Amitryptyline 25mg twice a day and feel so much better. I don't feel as anxious during the day and at night when my anxiety gets worse, amitryptyline helps me get a good nights sleep. I've noticed a big difference since being on amitryptyline and with less side effects that citalopram and sertraline.

July 29, 2014 5:27 AM

Review by Socially disfinctional:

Although I have gained 20 lbs on this medicine I feel much better overall. I take 125mg at bedtime and haven't slept so good in 25 yrs. I started on a dosage of 25 mg which did nothing. Not even make me sleepy. Had immediate relief after the dosage was regulated. This in conjunction with anti anxiety medication has helped tremendously. I just have to exercise daily and keep a watch over what I eat. But that is a small trade for the drastic change in my overall well being and frame of mind.

July 22, 2014 12:44 PM

Review by Changed my life. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I been taking this medicine for 4 months now at 50mg at bedtime and it has changed my life. Anxiety stress and depression strongly minimized. I fall instantly asleep instead of being up all night worrying. Best sleep in 20 years.

April 6, 2014 8:41 AM

Review by Jesterr:

I've only been taking this for a month. I got 25mg of amitriptyline at night. I have anxiety attacks and sometimes I shake, this hasn't been helping at all with that. I also have insomnia which is the only thing it's helped for. I actually sleep but it gives me dry mouth and once I woke up and everything was spinning for the whole day.

February 13, 2014 5:35 AM

Review by crystal ship (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I'm on 100mg a day for depression. I was on 75mg which was then upped to 100mg. It helps me feel relaxed and also helps me sleep.

February 4, 2014 2:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Ive been on lorazepam 1mg 3x daily for over 10 years and recently had not been able to get them due to switching doctors and have been having horrible side effects. I've only been on this a short time but seems to help a little and going to give it more time. I've read on the reviews others which gives me hope.

January 9, 2014 11:30 AM

Review by Nik85 (taken for less than 1 month):

Endep (amitriptyline): I've been taking 20mg of amitriptyline for 2 weeks and I have slept extremely well every night and I have so much more energy during the day. I sleep solid and right through the night which is unusual for me these days as my stressful job and back pain often leaves me anxious and tossing and turning every night and then I end up grumpy, run down and feeling sick as a result. So far it has not helped with my anxiety or depression but getting a good night sleep helps me cope and gives me energy to attend yoga and exercise. I believe the dose may be too small to help the depression. I'm also taking this as it is the most studied antidepressant used during pregnancy and the SSRI's give me insomnia. I have almost no side effects so far.

December 13, 2013 5:39 PM

Review by x3mazda3x:

I was originally prescribed 25 mg per night when I was 13 to treat Chronic Headache Syndrome (CHS). It worked like a charm. My neurologist took me off it when I was 19 because people usually outgrow CHS by adulthood. As the medication left my system, I discovered I had an anxiety disorder I never knew I had because the amitriptyline had taken care of it! Now, I'm back on 25 mg and I couldn't be happier.

December 9, 2013 11:04 AM

Review by TCme:

I have been taking this for about 9 years, I suffered from work related stress /depression and anxiety, this was the only medicine that pulled me together. I still take it now. I have tried to come of it a few times but the time wasn't right however, I don't care if I have to take it for life I would rather that than the nightmare of anxiety and depression. I take 50 mg per night but can take up to 150mg if it is hitting the fan so to speak.

December 6, 2013 10:39 AM

Review by Latinjojo (taken for less than 1 month):

Just started taking these meds praying it will help for my panic attacks during the night!!! The last two night I've actually slept well so far so good!

November 12, 2013 4:22 AM

Review by Finally happy XD:

I have been taking endep for around 2 weeks now, prior to that I was having psychotic tendencies and severe boughts of rage almost every day, which was brought on by underlying anxiety, Endep (and valium) have allowed me to live a normal life, I Have gotten back into things I enjoy I feel like a different person,I am more sociable and 100 times more happy in general I hope this helps someone in a similar situation.

November 11, 2013 8:37 PM

Review by uniquemikk:

I started taking amitriptyline this year (2013) after having a medicine cabinet looking like a pharmaceutical company. I must say this is the only one that helps me. I have severe anxiety and panic attacks along with constant worry and stress that had me on rock bottom. I take 25mg which is fine, it does make you sleepy but it's so worth it. I'm 27, no kids just coping with life.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2013 12:57 AM

Review by wendylo:

I've been on this med for a week for anxiety and depression following major operation for cancer. I just couldn't pick myself up, had a breakdown I guess. Started at 25mg, then up to 50mg. Sleep like a baby. No side effects apart from a healthy appetite. Which I need as I've lost weight, They have saved my life. I got so low I didn't want to be here.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2013 10:51 AM

Review by ShirMason:

I have never been able to take any kind of antidepressant comfortably. I was put on Elavil to start, at 50mg after three months was raised to 100mg always taken at night of course. I was pretty depressed about several issues in my life, not the least of which was the fact my father was dying/died. I also take meds for anxiety/panic disorder, as well as pain, I was disabled before 1994, when I was hit by two cars; already disabled, this made the pain from fibromyalgia worse as well as messed up my spine and neck, etc. Now when I run out of the small amount of the anti-anxiety medicines, I don't have a meltdown like before. I do get sleepy, miss the tail end of movies I want to see, I have the dry mouth yes, however the trade off is worth it.

June 17, 2013 10:49 PM

Review by muziktcher (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Had panic and anxiety every day - was non-functional. Started taking this medicine 2 years ago and it saved me, gave me my life back. Now my doctor wants me to try to wean off to see how I do. I'm taking only 10 mg per day before bed, but even trying to cut it back slightly makes me feel jittery and slightly anxious. Am going to try to stay the course and see what happens. Perhaps it would be easier to just stay on the med, but I know long-term it's not good. So, we will see what happens.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2013 2:14 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Elavil (amitriptyline): Tried SSRI antidepressants for two years. No relief until took this medicine.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2013 10:34 PM

Review by lilrif1 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've been on it for 4 years and it does much more for my bipolar and extreme anxiety, then it does for my pain. I am now taking 50mg morning and 100mg evening. The new increase at night does seem to make my sleep a lot less uncomfortable and broken up.

April 1, 2013 12:20 PM

Review by Meechie (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Elavil (amitriptyline): I have been taking Elavil for over 5 years now and I must say it has changed my whole outlook completely. I was diagnosed as bi-polar, depressed and an insomniac. This medication has improved all three of my conditions.

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2012 8:08 PM

Review by Sasha1025:

I have Lupus and am in pain and tired most of the day. It didn't matter how much sleep I got (which was interrupted most nights). I just started Elavil and found that it helped me to finally be able to sleep through the night. I felt a lot better during the day. I will note that it should be taken about 1/2 hour before bedtime because it will make you drowsy. It has also helped my mood and pain during the day.

April 5, 2011 12:19 PM

Review by Mrs.F.:

Elavil (amitriptyline): I'm bipolar. I've been on various medicines for almost 10 years. Well, my Dad died a few months ago. The depression and anxiety was so bad I could not function. My Doctor prescribed this along with my 40mg of Celexa. It took about a month -6 weeks before I felt any better. But I also have chronic pain from spinal arthritis. This medication has helped me get my life back! But in the process, I've gained 20lbs in 8 weeks and I was already overweight. Its helped with my chronic pain and with the depression. I love how I feel on this but not the weight gain.

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 21, 2011 9:14 PM

Amitriptyline can cause weight gain.

February 1, 2011 6:11 PM

Review by voncha:

Elavil (amitriptyline): I've only been on Elavil 62.5mg since last night and I slept all the way through the night and woke up not so tired this morning. I was on 25mg at first but didn't work then up to 50mg and that didn't work. Now I am trying this dose and I feel so much better. I hope it continues to work for me at this dose. I took it about five hours before bedtime and I felt tired and went to bed five hours later after taking it at 6:20pm.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2010 12:27 PM