Theragen HP Side Effects
Generic Name: capsaicin topical
Note: This document contains side effect information about capsaicin topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Theragen HP.
For the Consumer
Applies to capsaicin topical: topical cream, topical film, topical gel/jelly, topical liquid, topical lotion, topical ointment, topical pad, topical patch extended release, topical solution, topical stick
Along with its needed effects, capsaicin topical (the active ingredient contained in Theragen HP) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking capsaicin topical:More common - all forms
- Burning, itching, dryness, pain, redness, swelling, or soreness at the application site
- cough-producing mucus
- difficulty with breathing
- shortness of breath or troubled breathing
- sore throat
- stuffy or runny nose
- tightness in the chest or wheezing
- Bloating or swelling of the face, arms, hands, lower legs, or feet
- increased sensitivity to pain
- increased sensitivity to touch
- rapid weight gain
- tingling in the hands and feet
- unsteadiness or awkwardness
- unusual weight gain or loss
- weakness in the arms, hands, legs, or feet
Some side effects of capsaicin topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:Less common - patch only
- muscle aches
- pain or tenderness around the eyes and cheekbones
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- Abnormal skin color
- change in taste
- loss of taste
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to capsaicin topical: compounding powder, topical cream, topical film, topical gel, topical kit, topical liquid, topical lotion, topical stick
Very common (10% or more): Application site erythema (63%), application site pain (42%)
Common (1% to 10%): Application site pruritus, application site papules, application site edema, application site swelling, application site dryness
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Application site urticaria, application site paresthesia, application site dermatitis, application site hyperesthesia, application site excoriation, application site warmth, application site anesthesia, application site bruising, application site inflammation, application site exfoliation[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Nasopharyngitis, bronchitis, sinusitis
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Cough, throat irritation
Frequency not reported: Sneezing, dyspnea, wheezing, exacerbation of asthma, irritation of the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract (such as nasal and throat irritation)[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Nausea[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Pain in extremity, muscle spasms[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Dysgeusia, hypoesthesia, burning sensation
Frequency not reported: Headache, peripheral sensory neuropathy, dizziness, dysgeusia, hyperesthesia[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Eye irritation
Frequency not reported: Irritation of the mucous membranes of the eyes, runny eyes[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Peripheral edema[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Qutenza (capsaicin topical)." NeurogesX Inc, San Mateo, CA.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. "Product Information. Zostrix-HP (capsaicin topical)." Medicis Pharmaceutical Corporation, Scottsdale, AZ.
4. "Product Information. Zostrix (capsaicin topical)." Southwood Pharmaceuticals Inc, Lake Forest, CA.
5. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
6. "Product Information. Axsain (capsaicin topical)." Rodlen Laboratories, Vernon Hills, IL.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Theragen HP (capsaicin topical)
- Theragen HP Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous topical agents