Pontocaine Side Effects
Generic name: tetracaine topical
Note: This document contains side effect information about tetracaine topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Pontocaine.
Applies to tetracaine topical: topical application solution
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, tetracaine topical (the active ingredient contained in Pontocaine) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking tetracaine topical:
Incidence not known
- Blurred vision
- chest pain or discomfort
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up from a lying or sitting position suddenly
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- lightheadedness or fainting
- no blood pressure or pulse
- no breathing
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- shortness of breath
- slow or irregular heartbeat
- stopping of heart
- trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of tetracaine topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Incidence not known
- Continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears
- fear or nervousness
- hearing loss
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 5, 2020.
More about Pontocaine (tetracaine topical)
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.