MetroGel-Vaginal Side Effects
Generic Name: metronidazole topical
Note: This document contains side effect information about metronidazole topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name MetroGel-Vaginal.
More frequent side effects include: cervical candidiasis and vaginitis. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to metronidazole topical: topical cream, topical gel/jelly, topical lotion
Other dosage forms:
Along with its needed effects, metronidazole topical (the active ingredient contained in MetroGel-Vaginal) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Some side effects of metronidazole topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Dry skin
- redness or other signs of skin irritation not present before use of this medicine
- stinging or burning of the skin
- watering of eyes
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to metronidazole topical: topical cream, topical gel, topical kit, topical lotion, vaginal gel with applicator
Topical: The most frequently reported side effects were nasopharyngitis, upper respiratory tract infection, and headache.
Vaginal: The most frequently reported side effects were fungal infection, vulvovaginal candidiasis, headache, vulvovaginal pruritus, nausea, diarrhea, metrorrhagia, breast pain, infection, rash, pharyngitis, abdominal pain, pruritus, and dysmenorrhea.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Mild dryness (17.1%), mild scaling (16.2%)
Common (1% to 10%): Moderate dryness, moderate scaling, mild pruritus, moderate pruritus, severe pruritus, mild stinging/burning, moderate stinging/burning, severe stinging/burning, local allergic reaction
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Severe dryness, severe scaling
Frequency not reported: Application site reaction, condition aggravated, transient redness[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Dysmenorrhea, breast pain, metrorrhagia, vulvovaginal candidiasis, vulvovaginal pruritus, urinary tract infection, vaginal itching/irritation/burning/numbness, pelvic discomfort, vaginal discharge
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Vaginal mycosis, urine discolored, vulva edema, menstrual discomfort/irregularities, vaginal spotting/bleeding
Common (1% to 10%): Abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, gastritis, tooth disorder, gastrointestinal discomfort, abdominal cramps, vomiting
Common (1% to 10%): Headache, dizziness
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Tingling/numb extremities, taste metallic, dysgeusia, paresthesia, hypothesia
Frequency not reported: Peripheral neuropathy, ataxia
Postmarketing reports: Taste perversion[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Pharyngitis, bronchitis, nasopharyngitis, sinusitis, upper respiratory tract infection, nasal congestion
Common (1% to 10%): Hypertension[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Hyperpigmentation, pigmentation disorder, hypertrichosis[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Fungal infection (12%), flu syndrome (up to 11%)
Common (1% to 10%): Infection, influenza, abscess, pain
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Fatigue
Frequency not reported: Mucous membrane disorder[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Depression, difficult sleep, irritability
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Basal cell carcinoma
Frequency not reported: Skin cancer[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Eye irritation, watery eye
Postmarketing reports: Eyelid edema[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Liver function test abnormal[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Allergic reaction[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Appetite decreased
Frequency not reported: Pyelonephritis[Ref]
1. "Product Information. MetroLotion (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Galderma Laboratories Inc, Cranbury, NJ.
2. "Product Information. Noritate (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." sanofi-aventis, Bridgewater, NJ.
3. "Product Information. MetroNIDAZOLE Vaginal (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Oceanside Pharmaceuticals, Bridgewater, NJ.
4. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
5. "Product Information. Rosadan (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Medimetriks Pharmaceuticals Inc, Fairfield, NJ.
6. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
7. "Product Information. MetroNIDAZOLE Topical (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." G & W Laboratories Inc, South Plainfield, NJ.
8. "Product Information. Metrogel (metronidazole)." Galderma Laboratories Inc, Fort Worth, TX.
9. "Product Information. Vandazole (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Upsher-Smith Laboratories Inc, Minneapolis, MN.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about MetroGel-Vaginal (metronidazole topical)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 46 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: topical anti-rosacea agents