User Reviews for MetroGel-Vaginal to treat Bacterial Vaginitis

MetroGel-Vaginal has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 106 ratings for the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis. 49% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

MetroGel-Vaginal Rating Summary

6.4/10 average rating

Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Vaginitis.

Reviews for MetroGel-Vaginal

Valkyrie · Taken for less than 1 month September 29, 2020

“I’ve used the metro gel many times and it has always cleared my Bacterial Vaginitis infection much better than the pills. The pills are super hard to swallow due to size and the fact they are uncoated. Which means they start breaking up in your mouth as soon as it comes into contact with liquids. Yikes! I didn’t have any side effects fortunately. The first day of the gel insert, it cleared the smell. Next few days have been very good as well. I’ve finished my treatment now as of Sept. 2020 but ladies!! You WILL GET CLUMPY DISCHARGE DURING AND AFTER TREATMENT. This is NOT a yeast infection. It is the gel working and your vagina pushing out the infection. All in all, it gets the job done!”

West Coast Lady December 7, 2019

“3 years of BV. It has continued as such; sex, embarrassment, doctors visits, 7 day treatment of Flagyl. Cleared for a couple weeks only to repeat the cycle. Tried home remedies; adding yogurt, probiotics, boric acid suppositories, but nothing has fixed the issue. We understand it's an imbalance in pH/vaginal flora. The boric acid helped with the odor, but once you slack off the odor was worse. I was back at the doctor's office, asked for the metrogel to not leave a stone unturned. Side effects were minimal, reoccurring evening headaches/constipation but I had a sex drive again. Now this may seem like an odd side effect but more of a glimmer of hope. I've been so defeated with embarrassment, sex has been the furthest thing on my mind. I currently finished my 5 day cycle and weary it will be back, since I think intercourse is partly to blame. I'll check back in a couple weeks to give an update. I refuse to let BV ruin my self confidence or sex life. Chin up ladies, we're not alone.”

M · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2020

“For me, this gel has been a life saver. I had BV for months, I was prescribed the metridonzale pills and I was too nauseated to move, everything tasted bad, I had headaches.. I couldn't finish the prescription. I tried other antibiotics, but they didn't work for me. For a while I gave up and lived with BV symptoms. Then I was prescribed this gel. The directions say to use before bed, but there were a couple of nights I didn't lay down right away, and the medicine didn't leak out of me at all. It cleared the infection that I had been fighting for MONTHS up in 5 days. I even had sex one night after using and neither of us noticed the gel, and my BV still went away. Not telling you to do the same, I'm just that I had no issues. I'm really glad I didn't read the reviews on here before trying this gel”

Young and Embarrassed · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2021

“So my gyn said she had a suspension that I had BV since I got recurrent yeast infections. She prescribed Metrogel .75% for 5 nights and when I tell you the smell and weird discharge was gone. I'm over the moon. However, I did notice I got weird thick, white and clumpy discharge on the 2 day of use. Not sure what it is, but reading through the comments I hear that it’s the Vagina flushing the infection out. Still dealing with it now 2 days after finishing the treatment. Hope it clears up in a few days or I have to go back to the gyn :(.”

ScottishSuzy June 24, 2019

“Great stuff. The pills only worked while I took the pills. Then BV came back. The metronidazole vag gel is good. Works while u sleep. No discharge no leaks no smells. No BV. Finally cured after 2 years of hell.”

Mstub April 10, 2021

“Hey girls! I’m currently on my 5th day of using the metronidazole vag gel! The only side effects I’ve noticed is a a slight headache every so often and a thick white cottage like discharge usually the morning after I wake up from using the gel. I let my dr know that and she said to use the gel for 2 more nights but that it should just be my vagina cleaning out the infection so hopefully the discharge goes away soon! I’ve been having reoccurring BV for 4 months now and I have no odor or anything since I been using it! I highly recommend taking a woman’s probiotic while taking this just to make sure you don’t get a yeast infection!”

QueenC · Taken for less than 1 month May 6, 2020

“I had BV off and on for years and I realize that it was only with one guy I was hot and cold with. When I was in other relationships BV was not an issue. Metro Gel worked for me in all flare ups I would take it the week before my period was expected and take the pill for Yeast infections on my 5th day of using the Metro Gel. I had a 7 day insert of the Gel. I would let my period run it’s course and stayed away from unprotected sex for 2 weeks. Men also carry BV and that’s not being said some doctor give the woman the metro Gel and the men the pill. My EX lover told me after we finally split that he was having unprotected anal sex with another girl and that is also another factor in getting BV feces in contact with the vagina . I haven’t had BV now for sometime and I’m currently married we don’t do anal and we are only each other’s partner. The pH of the vagina changes for many reasons you just have to pay attention.”

NY October 19, 2020

“I wanted to share my positive experience with MetroGel. I had read many scary reviews and was terrified to use. My Gyno noticed I had BV during my annual Pap last week. I did not have any symptoms and she said it is very common, not sexually related. She prescribed Metrogel from 1x a day each night before bed for 5 days. Said to refrain from sex while using, but that drinking alcohol would be fine. There was a bit of the cottage cheese discharge starting on day 3 and has continued through today (36 hours after my final use). I drank wine on my 4th and 5th day and had ZERO side effects. I have not noticed a yeast infection. I did take a generic probiotic each morning to increase the good bacteria since antibiotics flush out all bacteria. I understand that everyone is different, but the doctor said that the gel will not affect you negatively and she was right. Very easy to insert, similar to a thin tampon and gel did not come out. Would use again if necessary.”

Tweety90 · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2020

“I’ve had recurring BV for 7 years now. After getting tired of being prescribed metro gel so often, only to get BV again after being intimate, I came across a post online. The woman who posted had experienced a similar situation but said she asked her doctor to test her for Mycoplasma and Ureaplasma. These bacteria are sexually transmitted and cause recurrent bv. They are not considered an STD or STI so doctors do not test for them regularly but your partner should be tested and treated as well! So frustrating that my doctor kept telling me “men can’t get bv so he doesn’t need to be tested” and not testing me for this! I took her advice and low and behold! That’s why I kept getting bv back after treatment. Thought I’d share here too. But yeah... metrogel sucks. Especially the discharge after... yuck.”

Taylor · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2020

“It was has been almost two weeks since I’ve been informed that I have BV when I first went to the doctor they gave me the pills first I had to take two pills daily for one week it was the worse experience I ever had I headaches, dizziness , nausea, and weakness but after that week nothing changed so then I went to my obgyn and she said I still have BV in me so she gave me the gel I’ve only taken it’s for two days now I have no itch my the only thing is I have a thick white discharge with no smell hopefully this goes away when I’m done”

Lala · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2020

“I tried the 5 nights vaginal gel and experienced no other symptom besides extreme itching in and around the vagina, all 5 days and nights. Sticked with it and the infection went away. I did have the cottage cheese looking discharge all 5 days but it was only when I urinated, it wasn’t in my underwear.”

Hopeful · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2021

“I had been dealing with a yeast infection for 3 months. I went to the doctor because I was still having symptoms after using Terconazole and was told I was yeast free but have BV. I started the medication yesterday, the only symptom I got after inserting the metrogel was some mild burning. No leaking during the night or throughout the day, but I did start to notice some white cottage cheese like discharge. I’m on night two and this time I didn’t feel burning after inserting the medication. I’m currently taking a probiotic in the morning and evening, as well as having yogurt daily since I’ve read many people have gotten a yeast infection after using this medication. Fingers crossed this medication works for me and finally have an end to what feels like never ending symptoms! I will come back to update once I finish the medication. Hugs to everyone dealing with issues down there!”

K71994 · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2020

“I was prescribed the Metrogel 1x / day for 5 days for BV treatment. I used it at the same time every night at bedtime. It was painless to put in, and did not fall out at all - even the next morning. Definitely make sure you put the applicator as far in as you can. I had no side effects except light discharge on day 4. Cleared up BV odor after just one day.”

ambslt July 5, 2013

“I was prescribed the metronidazole vaginal gel for bacterial vaginitis. They have me using the gel before bed for 5 days. Tonight will be my 4th night of use. So far the only side effects I have noticed are a very think, white discharge and menstrual like cramps and discomfort in my pelvic area. I also have had a slight decrease in my appetite. ”

Apple · Taken for less than 1 month October 25, 2020

“Ok ladies after suffering for more than 15 yrs with recurring BV I found what works. I use metro gel for about 5 days along with 30 billion cfu womens probiotic take 2 pills 2 times a day. This has cured my BV. I will continue with the probiotics to maintain correct ph levels Hope this helps Fortify 30 billion cfu Womens. Probiotic”

AB · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2019

“After reading all the comments I feel weird , I’m on my last night of metrogel that is a course of 5 nights. I’ve had no side effects at all since I started, just some little chunks of discharge when I pee, no headaches, no cramping, no blood, no bad side effects at all , works great! Insert the gel before I sleep when I’m ready to get in bed”

Dianne March 13, 2020

“I do not have BV just a slight odor and during sex there is a odor .... that has never happened too me so that was super embarrassing! My Dr. prescribed me the gel for 7 days no symptoms but having a period on the last day. I had sex a week after finishing the gel now the odor is back my Dr said take the gel for 2 days ...Ugh I wonder why does this fishy odor keeps coming back!! Help!!!!”

Jahshae’ September 27, 2019

“I’ve been going through bacteria vaginitis for about 10 years. I’ve tried everything from a shot in my butt to pills to gels to cream. I’ve tried yoni wash only. I’ve tried yoni vaginal pills. I’ve tried it all and honestly ladies it’s non curable. They can keep giving us all these meds and in all realty the meds are only a temp fix. It can only cure itself they say... and I believe it to be true. The gel made me bleed like my period is on and at first I thought it was discharging out all the bacteria but no... it made me have a period 2 times in September... we need answers ladies and none of us have them.”

Devotion101 · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2015

“I've always had a problem with odor and tried douching, etc., but nothing ever helped. FINALLY, I spoke with a PA who told me I probably have an over abundance of "good" bacteria which produces this odor. She prescribed Metrodinazole 0.75% and I used it as prescribed. NO MORE EMBARRASSING ODOR! I don't know how long this will last, but I could cry from relief. Unless you experience thus yourself, you don't understand the thoughts always in the back of your mind. So thankful for this medication!”

Nani April 9, 2020

“It has been a little over a year now that I've been experiencing BV continuously. The next day after intercourse I get really irritated! Followed by 2 days I get discharge and itchy. Sometimes I will have like onion smell, or fishy smell. I went to doctors and she prescribed the gel. It works great. I did see clumps of white stuff coming out. But when we have intercourse again I get it back again! We are trying to get pregnant and idk if this is rejecting our pregnancy. I told my doctor she said there really is nothing I can do, just tell my husband not to ejaculate inside me. There has been times when I asked him to not ejaculate and it is true. I will not have any type of BV or irritation. It's only when we intercourse and he ejaculates inside me that I get my ph balance irregular. My husband doesn't want to ejaculate outside. Its like I'm always on the gel and she has me on it for 7 days. I take probiotics to help but doesn't seem to work because I still get BV after intercourse. ”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2020

“This is my 4th time getting BV, I don’t use crazy soaps down there or do anything crazy so I'm not sure why I keep getting it. I tried the pill version of the metronidazole medicine but it made me literally throw up every meal, so now I'm using the gel. This is my 4th day and I've been getting tiny, but many, white clumps of discharge. Not clear, completely white. I'm not sure what this is but I hope it goes away. I went to an urgent care a few days ago for the BV and UTI and Doc said my cervix was inflamed and told me to get a pap smear. I have an appointment Monday, keep in mind I'm only 18. Gel made odor go away but weird discharge.”

Sammy · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2019

“This medication Metrogel vag worked better than I expected, based on some other reviews. The smell was gone by day 3 of the 5 day treatment. I am about 2 weeks post treatment and am BV free. I avoided using it for a month or so due to the side effect horror stories (vomiting, headache, pain, yeast infection, etc). However, I had nearly 0 effects. The only side effects I experienced was discharge and cramping similar to period cramps, which was worth it to me to get rid of the embarrassing BV symptoms.”

yoo_B ! April 1, 2020

“I’m not gonna lie ... I was so scared to take this medicine because of the review. TERRIFIED. Let me start off by saying I took this same medicine in pill form back in August 2019 and from what I remember, it did make me super nauseous. And I was taking other medication at the time so that also didn’t help. But right now I’m on this gel for 5 days at nighttime. I put in a full applicator last night and after 5 minutes, it felt a little tingly but it went away instantly. This morning, nothing came out to my surprise! Pee looks a little darker, I also feel a little bloated. But nothing crazy! I’m also on fluconazole. Hopefully this goes away by the time I’m done taking the gel cause it’s super annoying, especially when you have to go to work. I’ll update my progress!”

candyapple4015 · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2016

“I used metrogel for 5 nights. It worked great. The itching and burning were relieved the very first night I took it. I did have to do a sixth dose two nights after the fifth night because the symptoms came back slightly but since then I have been fine. That was a week ago and since then no problems at all. The only home remedies I had tried were the probiotics, folic acid, vitamin D and vitamin C. I also ate a lot of plain yogurt. I think the vitamins and yogurt worked to give temporary relief but ultimately it was the Metrogel that did the trick. Crossing my fingers I don't have a relapse. I decided to use the gel and not the pills so the drugs don't have to go through your whole body. The gel just attacks the problem at the source.”

nyckaterina · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2019

“I've had some form of bacterial vaginitis (BV) and a yeast infection for a few months now. I went in for a pap and tested positive for both so my obgyn prescribed metro gel and Diflucan. I think both have helped but I noticed a lot of discharge with the gel. I would have discharge the size of a quarter, and thick, multiple times a day. The symptoms of a yeast infection seem to be gone so I'm not sure if its from the gel or yeastie. anyways, I didn't get the headaches or dizziness. Hoping this helps.”

Learn more about Bacterial Vaginitis