MetroGel Side Effects
Generic Name: metronidazole topical
Note: This document contains side effect information about metronidazole topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name MetroGel.
For the Consumer
Applies to metronidazole topical: vaginal cream, vaginal gel/jelly, vaginal suppository
Other dosage forms:
Along with its needed effects, metronidazole topical (the active ingredient contained in MetroGel) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking metronidazole topical:More common
- Itching in the vagina
- pain during sexual intercourse
- thick, white vaginal discharge with no odor or with a mild odor
- Abdominal or stomach cramping or pain
- burning on urination or need to urinate more often
- burning or irritation of penis of sexual partner
- itching, stinging, or redness of the genital area
Some side effects of metronidazole topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:Less common
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- dryness of the mouth
- feeling of a furry tongue
- loss of appetite
- metallic taste or other change in taste sensation
Metronidazole may cause your urine to become dark. This is harmless and will go away when you stop using this medicine.
After you stop using this medicine, it may still produce some side effects that need attention. During this period of time, check with your doctor immediately if you notice the following side effects:
- Any vaginal or genital irritation or itching
- pain during sexual intercourse
- thick, white vaginal discharge not present before treatment, with no odor or with a mild odor
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to metronidazole topical: topical cream, topical gel, topical kit, topical lotion, vaginal gel with applicator
Topical: The most frequently reported side effects were nasopharyngitis, upper respiratory tract infection, and headache.
Vaginal: The most frequently reported side effects were fungal infection, vulvovaginal candidiasis, headache, vulvovaginal pruritus, nausea, diarrhea, metrorrhagia, breast pain, infection, rash, pharyngitis, abdominal pain, pruritus, and dysmenorrhea.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Mild dryness (17.1%), mild scaling (16.2%)
Common (1% to 10%): Moderate dryness, moderate scaling, mild pruritus, moderate pruritus, severe pruritus, mild stinging/burning, moderate stinging/burning, severe stinging/burning, local allergic reaction
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Severe dryness, severe scaling
Frequency not reported: Application site reaction, condition aggravated, transient redness[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Dysmenorrhea, breast pain, metrorrhagia, vulvovaginal candidiasis, vulvovaginal pruritus, urinary tract infection, vaginal itching/irritation/burning/numbness, pelvic discomfort, vaginal discharge
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Vaginal mycosis, urine discolored, vulva edema, menstrual discomfort/irregularities, vaginal spotting/bleeding
Frequency not reported: Breast enlargement, dysuria, female lactation, labial edema, leucorrhoea, menorrhagia, salpingitis, urinary frequency, vaginitis, vulvovaginal disorder[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, gastritis, tooth disorder, gastrointestinal discomfort, abdominal cramps, vomiting
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Constipation, dry mouth, abdominal bloating/noise
Frequency not reported: Dyspepsia, flatulence, gingivitis[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Headache, dizziness
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Tingling/numb extremities, taste metallic, dysgeusia, paresthesia, hypothesia
Frequency not reported: Peripheral neuropathy, ataxia
Postmarketing reports: Taste perversion[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Pharyngitis, bronchitis, nasopharyngitis, sinusitis, upper respiratory tract infection, nasal congestion
Frequency not reported: Asthma, rhinitis[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Hypertension[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Pruritus, rash, contact dermatitis, dry skin, skin discomfort, burning/stinging, erythema, worsening of rosacea, skin irritation
Frequency not reported: Acne, sweating, urticaria, skin exfoliation, facial edema, zoster lesion, nose pustule, vesicular bullous eruption
Postmarketing reports: Hyperpigmentation, pigmentation disorder, hypertrichosis[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Fungal infection (12%), flu syndrome (up to 11%)
Common (1% to 10%): Infection, influenza, abscess, pain
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Fatigue
Frequency not reported: Mucous membrane disorder[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Depression, difficult sleep, irritability
Frequency not reported: Insomnia[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Back pain, cramp[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Basal cell carcinoma
Frequency not reported: Skin cancer[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Eye irritation, watery eye
Postmarketing reports: Eyelid edema[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Liver function test abnormal[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Allergic reaction[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Appetite decreased
Frequency not reported: Anorexia, hypomagnesemia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Pyelonephritis[Ref]
1. "Product Information. MetroLotion (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Galderma Laboratories Inc, Cranbury, NJ.
2. "Product Information. Noritate (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." sanofi-aventis, Bridgewater, NJ.
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
4. "Product Information. MetroNIDAZOLE Vaginal (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Oceanside Pharmaceuticals, Bridgewater, NJ.
5. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
6. "Product Information. MetroNIDAZOLE Topical (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." G & W Laboratories Inc, South Plainfield, NJ.
7. "Product Information. Rosadan (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Medimetriks Pharmaceuticals Inc, Fairfield, NJ.
8. "Product Information. Metrogel (metronidazole)." Galderma Laboratories Inc, Fort Worth, TX.
9. "Product Information. Vandazole (metroNIDAZOLE topical)." Upsher-Smith Laboratories Inc, Minneapolis, MN.
Some side effects of MetroGel may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about MetroGel (metronidazole topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 17 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: topical anti-rosacea agents
- MetroGel Pump
- MetroGel (Metronidazole Cream, Gel, and Lotion)
- MetroGel (Metronidazole Gel and Cleansing Lotion)
- Metrogel Topical (Advanced Reading)
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.