Iprivask Side Effects
Generic name: desirudin
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 27, 2021.
Note: This document contains side effect information about desirudin. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Iprivask.
For the Consumer
Applies to desirudin: parenteral powder for injection
Spinal/Epidural Hematoma Risk
- Risk of epidural or spinal hematomas and neurologic injury, including long-term or permanent paralysis, associated with concurrent use of selective thrombin inhibitors and neuraxial (spinal/epidural) anesthesia or spinal puncture.1
- Risk increased by use of indwelling epidural catheters for administration of analgesia or by concomitant use of drugs affecting hemostasis (e.g., NSAIAs, platelet aggregation inhibitors, other anticoagulants).1
- Risk also increased by traumatic or repeated epidural or spinal puncture.1
- Monitor frequently for signs and symptoms of neurologic impairment and treat urgently if neurologic compromise noted.1
- Consider potential benefits versus risks of spinal or epidural anesthesia or spinal puncture in patients receiving or being considered for thromboprophylaxis with anticoagulants. 1 (See Hemorrhagic Effects and also see Neurologic Effects under Cautions.)
Side effects include:
Hemorrhage, including hematoma, was most common adverse effect in clinical studies in patients undergoing elective total hip-replacement surgery.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to desirudin: subcutaneous powder for injection
The most common adverse reaction was hemorrhage.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Any hemorrhage (30%)
Common (1% to 10%): Serious hemorrhage, deep vein thrombosis
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Major hemorrhage
Frequency not reported: Thrombosis, hypotension
Postmarketing reports: Fatal hemorrhage[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Wound secretion
Common (1% to 10%): Nausea
Common (1% to 10%): Anemia
Frequency not reported: Hemoglobin decreased[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Irritative skin reactions[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Injection site mass[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Allergic reaction, anti-hirudin antibodies
Postmarketing reports: Anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reaction[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Epistaxis[Ref]
More about Iprivask (desirudin)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: thrombin inhibitors
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Ipravask (desirudin)." Aventis Pharmaceuticals, Swiftwater, PA.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.