User Reviews for Dabigatran

Also known as: Pradaxa

Learn more about Dabigatran.

Prevention of Thromb...ial Fibrillation 61 reviews 40 medications

7.5
Deep Vein Thrombosis 5 reviews 19 medications

6.8
Summary of Dabigatran reviews 66 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Dabigatran

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Deep Vein Thrombosis: "There is an important bit of misinformation presented by several of these commenters. The effects of both Pradaxa and Coumidin are reversible. Those of Xaralta and Eliquis are not. It seems like the issues with heartburn/acid reflux are minimized by either drinking lots of liquid with the pill or eating some food and then taking an anti-acid within the hour."

reb85 November 17, 2016

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Joint pains Shortness of breath"

Cottage15789 November 1, 2016

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Good , does it induce weight gain"

Thiagarajan TC tcrajugmail.co (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 22, 2016

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "When I first started taking Pradaxa, I experienced acid reflux. Since I was on other medications as well, most notably a "water pill," I had to experiment to be sure it was the Pradaxa. I've found that if I eat something.... even a snack or a square of cheese, it doesn't have to be a meal ... before taking Pradaxa, I don't have the acid reflux."

Quadia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2016

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Have been taking pradaxa for over 2 years. Only problems were bleeding when had teeth pulled. This was attended to. To resolve my acid reflux I make sure I drink water after I take the pills. This corrected this for me. I take 2 pills a day."

SLEEPYGUY March 6, 2016

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Deep Vein Thrombosis: "I have taken Pradaxa for 6 months and have started having severe back pain in the lower back and also in the hipbones. Stopped taking it AMA and the pain lessened significantly. Another ultrasound showed that the clot has moved from calf to thigh so although my leg feels 90% better, the clot is still present and on the move."

Geek_Lady October 29, 2015

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Deep Vein Thrombosis: "After travel by car, I felt the DVT symptoms, having had a previous occurrence 4 years ago. Pradaxa was offered as a choice, so that I would not have to return for the frequent pro-time tests. It has worked fine for a while, had reflux before and after starting to take. Upside, the leg with the clot feels better and is not as swollen, and I am not having the irregular heart beat with dizziness. Fewer headaches. Downside: my bones ache. My hips and my thumb hurt. Even my teeth and jaw are starting to ache. Since there are no other meds except long term thyroid replacements, I feel this is the cause. Feel swollen around my abdomen. And Acetaminophen doesn't work well for low back and other pains."

GeekyLady September 23, 2015

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Pradaxa gave me acid reflux. Medication burned on the way out as well. I could hardly walk. The pain was intense. Don't recommend."

Morhoyle August 3, 2015

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I was given the choice of pradaxa or warfarin, I chose pradaxa as no ongoing blood tests etc. I have an acid reflux and take a PPI, having given up smoking and drinking alcohol. I don't notice any major side effects. I do fart a bit, but then I always have. 11 months on 300mg per day no complaints."

mrallard (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2015

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Since taking Pradaxa my hair has been falling out and my skin is shedding so much it looks like snow flakes."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Deep Vein Thrombosis: "Heartburn other than that tolerable after being on warfarin for 28 yrs, love the fact no constant visits for protime testing."

Delsha November 3, 2014

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Deep Vein Thrombosis: "I've been on 2x150mg Pradaxa for about 1 year now after being on 14 mg of warfarin for a year before this. I had a DVT followed by a Protein S deficiency diagnosis. I felt really tired/sluggish on warfarin and didn't like the inconvenience of INR testing. I feel better on Pradaxa but I am considering switching back to warfarin because I don't like the idea that there is no antidote for E.R. bleeding with Pradaxa. I work with saws all the time and this is a constant concern."

Slarso (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 15, 2014

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "After going to ER with afib, diagnosis was thyroid. Was put on Pradaxa for afib and also had thyroid removed. The most noticable side effect is heartburn. As a result of thyroid removal, I MUST take calcium. Asked the pharmacist what I can take for heartburn whle taking Pradaxa and he said nothing with calcium in it. He advised Pepcid AC since it doesnt have calcium in it. Said not to take tums or other antacids because they contain calcium. Pepcid works great. However I still have to take calcium so am sure to keep Pepcid AC on hand."

wordsrus January 19, 2014

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "If you are new to taking this medication or are currently on Warfarin, here are a few things to keep in mind: (1) when you start this medication you will likely have a lot of acid - be sure to take Ranitidine but in half the dose most physicians will prescribe. Zantac and other meds will change your body's PH and make you likely to get yeast & fungal infections (2) there is no way to reverse the effects of Pradaxa which is a big issue if you are bleeding in a hospital's ER. (3) Pradaxa is great when it comes to diet. You can eat all the broccoli & vitamin K you want. (4) Pradaxa does not require biweekly blood tests. (5) Your joints will ache after 90 days on Pradaxa (6) Vein pain is common."

Pradaxa Is A Large Step Forward (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 31, 2013

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Have been taking Pradaxa 150 twice a day since Sept 2011. Initially had extreme acid reflux and heartburn. Tried Nexium, Zantac, Tums, GasX. What has worked best for me is to NEVER take it on an empty stomach. In the evening I eat a small carton of some kind of yogurt before taking my evening dose. Since beginning this regimen I rarely have to take an antacid of any kind."

GG25 June 8, 2013

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Much superior to warfarin."

turfmaster (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2013

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Cannot tolerate Warfarin but only got Pradaxa to cover two months previous and one month after catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation. Had a bit of heartburn the first few days, but no side effects at all during the whole three months. Now after three months post ablation, still getting some atrial fibrillation I think, but my doctor will not prescribe it, only the hospital consultant - who is also very reluctant. "

JoMaKel (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2013

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Cost reduced because of discount card. Had bad gas, stomach upset after taking each dose until I read about taking Zantac before eating and then taking Pradaxa immediately after meal. I had been taking Pradaxa before breakfast which resulted in burping and gas, and a few hours after dinner which caused bad bloating and stomach upset. Took Nexium for a month incorrectly also, taking before breakfast along with Pradaxa. First time I used Zantac 30 min before dinner and then took Pradaxa immediately after eating I had minimal gas and stomach issues."

ln2 October 6, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Within two weeks of taking Pradaxa I have experienced a noticeable improvement in health and well-being. Pradaxa has replaced Coumadin, since then all bruising, bleeding and general malaise has ceased. No side effects. From being tired and restless I'm now energetic and active all day. "

mkemter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 24, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I have taken Pradaxa for a year now. I've had no side effects, and compared to Coumadin it's great. Taking Coumadin, I had to constantly adjust the dosage because I had only one protime in six months that showed the proper clinical result. With Pradaxa, there is no need for the constant blood testing, no side effects for me, and no reason not to take it."

Ted_S (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I have taken Pradaxa (150 mg) twice daily for a year. I have had no problems. I wish that there was a way to test this medicine for it's effectiveness."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 7, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I have been using Pradaxa for a few months after years on Warfarin. It's much easier without the weekly blood tests but I have noticed a few side effects. I have gained weight, 4kg, with the same food intake, get terrible stomach pains about once every 2 weeks, and have had increased reflux even though I take Nexium tablets. Overall the benefits outweigh the problems."

Big W (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I had been on Coumadin for over 10 years and thought Pradaxa would be a God send. However, within a few months of taking it I began to have bad stomach pain and digestive issues. My internist diagnosed me with a peptic ulcer and urged me to consult with my cardiologist about stopping the Pradaxa and going back on Coumadin, which I did. In the 3 months since I have discontinued Pradaxa I am still getting over the stomach/digestive issues (which I have never had before in my life) and am getting my blood PT/INRs back to normal as well."

heartgalone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 7, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Downside for me with Pradaxa was severe acid reflux. Neither my doctor nor my pharmacist told me until I complained of this that Pradaxa works in an acidic environment so they put acid in the capsule. This was particularly difficult at night. I was taking Tums by the handful. Within a day of not taking it, the acid reflux disappeared. I'm now trying Xarelto. So far, no upset stomach."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 25, 2012

Pradaxa (dabigatran) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I just started this on Sun (today is Tue)-I notice that I stop bleeding quicker with this (150mg X 2 daily) when shaving than I did with warfarin (7.5mg X 1). I am taking the Pradaxa at 10:30am and 10:30pm. So far have only taken 5 capsules with no problem except for last nights dose that woke me up with pain in the lower abdomen at 3am. Lots of flatulence with the pain that eventually went away. "

ttburden March 27, 2012