User Reviews for Apixaban

Also known as: Eliquis

Learn more about Apixaban.

Pulmonary Embolism 7 reviews 15 medications

5.8
Deep Vein Thrombosis, Prophylaxis 1 reviews 15 medications

Summary of Apixaban reviews 44 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Apixaban

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Rapid heart rate"

Madelaine April 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Deep Vein Thrombosis: "This drug is dangerous. After a DVT, I was placed on the drug 5mg. twice a day. After a week my colon stated to feel funny. A couple days later I developed significant rectal bleeding. Went to ER where they diagnosed it was due to the Eliquis. Stopped the drug and bleeding stoped within two days. I am now on 10mg Xarelto once a day. No bleeding after seven days. Have a friend that is now in intensive care with a brain bleed. He was also on Eliquis for atrial fibrillation. Had been on the drug for four months. His started with minor headaches. FDA has it listed as a Black Box which means it could be fatal. Non of this was told to me at the ER for my DVT."

Surfer 65 April 12, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Pulmonary Embolism: "Very expensive, leaves large bruises on my skin from small bumps, I also had pretty thick hair, loss of hair since starting eliquis"

Botchie April 5, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I am 61 years old. Have been in permanent Afib for approximately 6 years. I was originally put on 100mg aspirin for 18 months, then went on to Warfarin prior to an attempt at cardioversion. Heart remained in Afib so was soon after put on to Eliquis (5mg tab twice a day). I have been on this medication now for 4 years. Prior to being on Elequis, I had to inject with Clexane prior to any air travel as a precaution. Since being on Eliquis I have not had any side effects, no need for Clexane when travelling. The only precaution recommended was NOT to take any medications such as Ibroprufen for pain relief or flu and cold capsules that contain pseudoephedrine."

Very Happy Camper March 26, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I was diagnosed with afibs about 6 years ago. Given flecinide and told to take 2 low dose aspirin. Recently the doctor told me aspirin was not sufficient to prevent a stroke. He prescribed eliquis 5mg twice a day. I have been suffering with headaches. They feel like pressure on the top of my head. In addition ,I am very tired and I don't feel as though I think as clearly. I will be seeing the doctor next week. I hope he takes me off this medication. I honestly do not feel well. I am 72 years of age."

Suefla March 10, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Pulmonary Embolism: "I was 23 when I developed my first DVT and was instantly put on Xarelto. Being low risk, I was told to go on with normal activity. Xarelto left me feeling exhausted after minimal activity. Two days later, my DVT moved through my heart, into my lungs causing a PE. I was put on Heparin while in the hospital. Left the hospital a few days later and resumed Xarelto with the continued awful side effects. I continued to experience chest pain, shortness of breath, and extreme exhaustion. My doctor thought I was having a reaction to the medicine so they switched me to Eliquis. Since then, I have had zero side effects. I have my life back for once. Love that you don't need to have your INR checked, and foods don't counteract the drug."

KR2017 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Possibly due to my flu/pneumonia, had an episode of ventrical tachycardia followed by a-fib. Had an implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD). Put on beta blockers and antibiotics in hospital and monitored for several days before going home with script for Eliquis in addition to the other meds. The need for a blood thinner was debated because of very low risk factors. After 4th dose of Eliquis on the second day of being released, developed itchy red rash over much of face, neck, torso, arms, thighs and genital area. Doctor advised me to stop taking Eliquis."

Danch Clump March 7, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pulmonary Embolism: "Multiple Bilateral P.E's at the age of 33. Needed a medicine for life. Tried clexene, couldn't face a needle daily that would create scar tissue beneath the surface. Warfarin was impractical due to weekly Dr. Visits to check INR, coupled with my yo yo ing INR. Having to duck out of work for weekly bloods was a pain. Rivoroxyban was next in the list, hair loss kicked in 3 months in. I also read an article highlighting the fact that people suffer for taking it at the rate of one life a week. I have settled for the last option available - Apixaban. 3 months in, hair loss returns. It's due to the blood not reaching the hair follicles apparently? This creates a really dry scalp and hair loss. Still it keeps me alive."

Justin (uk) (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Deep Vein Thrombosis: "My dad died from this. We are suing them he was 48. He had a catastrophic brain bleed . Don't take it"

Jerrys daugther (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I take Eliquisat night (5mg) and wondered if anyone else has to get up to urinate 4-5 times at night. Did not see this on the side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I had a heart attack and underwent an emergency double heart bypass. There were complications that left me in an induced coma for 17 days. This was three years ago. I was only 47 years old. I had a Defibrillator / Pacemaker fitted. Two weeks ago it activated. I had made a huge effort over the past three months to address my health. I lost 21kg in weight. I didn't crash diet but more so drank protein shakes and fruit. Then all of a sudden I kept feeling dizzy. I had lost a lot of energy. Even walking 100 metres was difficult. Then my Defibrillator activated. I was taken to hospital. My Defibrillator was adjusted and I was placed on Apixiban. Within hours I felt great."

Steve Allen (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pulmonary Embolism: "Pulmonary embolism in 2014, tries clexane, rivaroxaban and warfarin all of which made me so ill, apixaban has been ok, have experienced some gastrointestinal issues but can't be sure if there is a link, taken it now for over 18months and dr hopes for me to stay on it for life."

Kristy83 January 26, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I was having dizziness shortly after taking the pill. I kept taking it for almost a month when I had a fainting spell and decided I had to stop it. My doctor agreed that I should. I am an 80 year old woman just recently diagnosed with AF. I am back on 81mg aspirin. I am not diabetic or have any other maladies. I'm glad for those who it works for, I'm just not one of them."

Hemegrndma (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I have been taking Eliquis for about 7 months due to AF. I resisted taking Eliquis forever and insisted that aspirin was doing the job. My cardiologist was nice but firm in mentioning that I have a history of strokes on the maternal side of my family. My AF got worse after 8 years of being on Flecanaide, bp and cholestrol meds so I had a cryoablation in June of 2016. So far I have not had any bad side effects but I do have some dizziness and occasional flushing. I also have a tendency to get rashes. Has anyone had this happen? So far I've been fine and no AF so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it all works."

SKWriter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 22, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I am an 91-year old woman with permanent atrial fibrillation on 2.5 mg twice daily. I have had no problems or side effects and eat lots of green vegetables. Very satisfied with it, have been on it for two years."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 19, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "In my 80s, A-Fib diagnosed 18 years ago. Tried all the drugs at the time to correct it including going through Cardiac-Ablation w/o anesthesia (sedation did not help much). Nothing worked. On Coumadin until 2 years go - didn't like the limitations on food intake due to Vit.K avoidance- switched to Eliquis. Very happy with it. Possibly contributes to constipation like other Rx I take, but can't blame Eliquis. No other apparent side effects. Glad to longer take 'rat poison', which my son always reminded me I'd been taking and enjoying green vegetables again."

Mainiac#2 October 21, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "This Med immediately caused me to have out of controll nosebleeds and bruising. This Med is deadly, don't take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

B in Mo. (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Deep Vein Thrombosis: "38 years old. Take blood thinners as prevention of blood clots due to clotting disorder. I've experienced on again, off again dizziness and wooziness during the day. Will need to talk with my doctor about this."

Hsteele (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Much easier to use then warfarin which I was on for 5 years. The only side effect I am finding is hair loss. I checked side effects for eliquis but hair loss was not on the list. I have been on this drug since April 2016."

grandmother of 11 September 10, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Exception medicine with zero side effects."

No1boogie August 31, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I experience dizziness and poor concentration after each dose."

Side effects-dizziness August 14, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pulmonary Embolism: "Tried warfarin and couldn't get inr levels right so lots of blood tests and doctors visits, then tried riveroxiban and was nauseous the whole time. Apixaban has been problem free since day one and I'very nearly been taking it for 6 months now!"

bagpuss37 July 17, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Deep Vein Thrombosis, Prophylaxis: "I am 30 years old and was placed on eliquis 5mg twice daily after a venogram with stenting in my left groin. Since I've been on eliquis, it's done it's job as far as thinning m blood, but I've also had some really nasty side effects from it. I have been bleeding vaginally for 16 days (was on my period when I started the medication and haven't stopped bleeding), I am diabetic and take multiple injections daily so I look like someone has beat me up, I'm constantly nauseated, have no appetite, no energy, heart palpitations at times, cold all the time, night sweats, and pink tinged urine. I'm waiting on a call back from the Dr to see about lowering the dose or change going the medication all together."

Sick to my stomach July 7, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I have been on Eliquis for 18 months for atrial fib. I have not experienced any side effects other than I bruise more easily than before. I had a cryogenic heart ablation performed 8 months ago, followed up with heart monitoring for 2 weeks. My surgeon has released me to go off all heart medications as of today (sotolol, Eliquis)."

Ken G--that May 30, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Eliquis (apixaban) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Cardiologist put me on eliquis for A flutter about 4 months ago Have no symptoms or problems with a flutter. If they didn't tell me I had it, I wouldn't know I had it. At first I felt tired and no energy. They said that could be due to A flutter. That has gotten better. I'm 70' so it could be just my age slowing me down. I go to the gym, work with a personal trainer, and he says for my age, I am inn excellent shape. I play softball. I have no side effects of Eliquis so far. Maybe I bruise easier than before, but it goes away. Minor cuts don't seem to bleed any more than when I was on low dose aspirin. I still want to get off of it, so I am going to a cardio physicist to see if he can cure the flutter."

Jhawk123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016