User Reviews for Apixaban to treat Deep Vein Thrombosis

Also known as: Eliquis

Apixaban has an average rating of 4.9 out of 10 from a total of 36 ratings for the treatment of Deep Vein Thrombosis. 28% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Apixaban Rating Summary

4.9/10 average rating

Compare all 69 medications used in the treatment of Deep Vein Thrombosis.

Reviews for Apixaban

Kass · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 6, 2019

Eliquis (apixaban): “I was put on Eliquis by my MD just because he liked it better than Warfarin. Was previously on Warfarin with no problems. On Eliquis I have experienced severe muscle spasms and weakness. Also very tired, eyes are blurry, nose bleeds, weight gain, itching, and just general malaise. I asked my Dr several times to take me off Eliquis and put me back on Warfarin. He refused. I changed Dr's, got off the Eliquis back and Warfarin. I now feel soooooo much better and muscles are getting stronger and I have my energy back. This Eliquis is poison to me. I also will note I had no A-Fib. Never did....Listen to your body. It knows best.”

Phoebe June 2, 2020

Eliquis (apixaban): “I was prescribed Eliquis after experiencing an upper extremity deep vein thrombosis due to thoracic outlet syndrome. The clot was dissolved in hospital through thrombolysis. I was sent home with Eliquis 10 mgs. x2 per day for a week, then 5 mgs x2 per day for maintenance. I didn't realize how horrible this drug made me feel until I called my hematologist after 3 months and begged him to reduce the dose. I experienced extreme fatigue, depression/apathy, muscle pain all over my body, and joint pain that would keep me up at night in my hips and lower back. My whole body began to hurt all the time after about 5 weeks on the medication. I couldn't do any exercise without being unable to get out of a chair for days afterwards. Not to mention the horrible heartburn. Fortunately, I see a TOS expert soon, and fingers crossed will be able to drop the Eliquis entirely. Has been an awful experience.”

GardenLad7 · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2020

Eliquis (apixaban): “Had leg pain, told my Primary Care Doctor. She had the hospital take an ultrasound and they admitted me to the hospital immediately. Said I had a DVT. On heparin while in the hospital, no side effects to mention. Started Eliquis as soon as I got home. Feel like I am dead. Weak, dizzy, can't stand, off balance, my body hurts all over like I was someone's punching bag. Wicked tremors, itchy skin feeling. Head feels like it's full of cotton, hard time concentrating. And this has only been for one week!”

Oregon follow up March 13, 2020

Eliquis (apixaban): “Update from a previous comment. Switched from Xeralto to Eliquis about 12 months ago. Horrific side effects as with Xeralto. I had days where I can't remember simple basic things, difficulty remembering family members, names. Am dizzy, nauseous, osteoarthritis, joint pain, ears ringing, complete loss of vision. Penile bleeding. Strange pimples. Horrific lack of energy. Chest pains and fluttering heart, feels like a heart attack. WEIGHT GAIN... I went from 150-165 average to becoming a 210. But adding weight plus the inability to exercise and strengthen the body.. any mishapped fall or jump or avoidance of sudden movement and you can be SEVERELY INJURED. As I lay here with a back injury also related to NEUROPATHY from eliquis.”

dennis · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 25, 2019

Eliquis (apixaban): “I was put on Eliquis Apixaban 2 years ago for DVT, initially all was well but now I get sores on my scalp, itching all over my body and several dizzy spell a day that last only a second but my whole body tingles for several minutes and severe ringing in my ears. I don't like it, I am seeing my Dr on the 7/11/19 need to change it as it has caused me to resign from my job due to the unpleasant side affects.”

Rainikorns · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2019

Eliquis (apixaban): “Yes so far I haven't had any bleeding experiences nor have I had any further complications from my DVT. However my leg pain and swelling are still present and I've had a headache the entire time. I also just feel like my body hurts and my mouth hurts quite noticeably gums swollen, but its kept me from dying due to pulmonary embolism but I do not like this medicine would rather be on warfarin or heparin because I have taken them before and didn't experience these side affects”

Surfer 65 April 12, 2017

Eliquis (apixaban): “This drug is dangerous. After a DVT, I was placed on the drug 5mg. twice a day. After a week my colon stated to feel funny. A couple days later I developed significant rectal bleeding. Went to ER where they diagnosed it was due to the Eliquis. Stopped the drug and bleeding stoped within two days. I am now on 10mg Xarelto once a day. No bleeding after seven days. Have a friend that is now in intensive care with a brain bleed. He was also on Eliquis for atrial fibrillation. Had been on the drug for four months. His started with minor headaches. FDA has it listed as a Black Box which means it could be fatal. Non of this was told to me at the ER for my DVT.”

Young 44 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 13, 2020

Eliquis (apixaban): “From the second day of 5mg every 12hr I could walk again. I got a clot in the popliteal vein behind the knee. I discovered after 3 weeks of mild pain and difficulties to bend the knee, and increasing swelling in the left leg. After 8 months doctors reduce the amount at half (2,5mg every 12 hr)Apixaban works as a miracle with me. No problems at all and the peace of mind to don't have to check the blood every so often.”

Bowritet · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2020

Eliquis (apixaban): “I had a blood clot in abdominal superior mesenteric artery. I was prescribed Eliquis following open surgery to bypass thrombosed SMA artery in the abdomen. Side effects for me are predominantly GI related: severe abdominal/intestinal cramping/pain within 20-40 min after taking it & which lasts a couple hours. It has been confirmed I am now getting adequate blood to my GI system since surgery, so that is not the problem. Bloating and gas are also a problem since taking Eliquis for 2 1/2 months. Hoping my cardiologist will agree to switch me to a different option, even if it means INR blood tests. I had lots of GI issues prior to surgery that affected my quality of life. Albeit the GI issues I now have are different than pre-bypass, Eliquis is a key factor in my continued reduced quality of life.”

RAL · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2020

Eliquis (apixaban): “I've been on Eliquis for a little over a month now. Started on the 7 days 20 mg and am now on the 10 mg dose until Oct. I sometimes feel dizzy or get mild headaches while on it. The head aches come and go. I can't wait to be off it.”

tiredofit · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2020

Eliquis (apixaban): “Stented for May Thurner syndrome in August 2020, no history of clots, developed a small one from surgery. Put on Eliquis 5mg 2x daily + 1 baby aspirin a day. First week body aches from head to toe was terrible...it faded...reared again 2 months into treatment. I will be soooo glad to get off of this medicine. The body aches for me are awful”

RLC · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 1, 2019

Eliquis (apixaban): “Put on Eliquis for a DVT in leg due to May Thurner Syndrome. I’ve felt really tired on it (5mg twice a day). Also gained weight despite exercising and eating the same. Have taken it for just over four months and have developed another dvt whilst taking this as prescribed.”

Dvt · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 22, 2018

“43 year old female have to be on some type of preventative for clotting, Hematologist said this is the best on market. I have gained over 30 pounds in 5 months. The weight is weird, I can feel my legs swelling at various times during the day and then feel the release. It scares me. Sometimes it feels like my skin is so tight it will rip if I bend my knees. My dr states it’s better than having a clot. I’m not so sure. I feel like a guinea pig. I tell him the weight is from the medication and he states there have been no reports of weight gain from Eliquis. Well that’s probably because the medical community doesn’t want to report it. My Pharmacist shares with me that other patient have experienced the same thing. I know it’s not just me. What is this drug doing to my body?”

Archie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 16, 2018

Eliquis (apixaban): “Following knee surgery I developed a blood clot. The doctor originally put me on Xarelto and that was a disaster Dr had to take me off of it after 3 weeks and we switched to Eliquis. Almost immediately after beginning to take Eliquis I start to have random itching sensations all over by body. At first I didn’t think anything of it, but after 4 weeks on it I started to have uncontrollable itching late at night and extreme swelling in hands and feet due to the scratching. I would also develop hives and what looked like diaper rash all over my body. Luckily between the two drugs the clot is gone and I am back on aspirin. I have only been off of Eliquis for 5 days and some of the rash and itching has gotten better but not yet gone. I think some of the interactions seemed to be related to what I would eat.”

Hsteele · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 20, 2016

Eliquis (apixaban): “38 years old. Take blood thinners as prevention of blood clots due to clotting disorder. I've experienced on again, off again dizziness and wooziness during the day. Will need to talk with my doctor about this.”

Dizzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 13, 2020

Eliquis (apixaban): “Been on this med Eliquis for almost 2 months but also going through chemo. Been having dizziness and feel lightheaded. I attributed it to chemo but after reading other reviews can't rule out that eliquis may be the problem”

Aj · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 9, 2019

“Apixaban is a great drug. Saved my life. Had acute DVT and later discovered PE in my right lung. No side effects initially for a few months. Now, however, after taking 5 mg twice a day for 6 months, my side effects are : - shortness of breath - weight gain - lack of ambition - unmotivated - low blood pressure - palpitations - depression/anxiety Another one is that I used to have a lot of buzz from drinking coffee. Now, not so much. Even if I drink 5 cups of highly caffeinated coffee I feel no high. Same for wine and beer. Blood pressure is low and I use a lot of salt.”

jjileshashay · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2016

Eliquis (apixaban): “I'm 21. Despite being active managed to get a DVT in last weeks of pregnancy. Was on fragmin injections then was swapped to this tablet 5mg twice a day. Not noticed any physical changes to my affected leg swelling is still apparent. Feel dizzy and on the verge of fainting more than three times a day..thats the side effect I have had.”

Rockysg1 · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2018

Eliquis (apixaban): “I used once for DVT while in hospital. Experienced severe dizziness and headache on left side of head all day and an overall ill feeling. I decided not to take. I used Xerelto in the past for PE with no major side effects, will most likely go back to this.”

Suzy Q · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2019

“Taking this medication for months and now have some memory loss and at times I can't read a word that I know. I can't even think of how to sound it out which is very worrying and I can't spend to long out in the sun or I will get the affects of sun stroke and that will last for a day or so. I'm getting off this and going back to Celaxine, this is my experience and I haven't seen anyone else with the same, well that's been reported. Thank you .”

Bigman · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 7, 2021

Eliquis (apixaban): “Had blood clots develop in leg while traveling once and while flying once. The Eliquis helped to save me several times. Back in the Ole days would've been hospitalized and who knows what could've happen if the clot broke free. I'm reading on here there is a lot of side effects. So I'm not sure if I will take this any longer since reading all of the side effects on this message forum...”

Sue · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 21, 2020

“I was diagnosed with a DVT while on vacation in November 2019 and subsequently discovered I have May Thurner Syndrome. The first month on Eliquis I felt terrible. Dizzy, fatigue, the Doctor said this is the best medicine for me. These side effects did go away however I gained some weight and started going to WE and having a difficult time losing weight. Discouraging!”

BG · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2021

Eliquis (apixaban): “Absolutely despise this expensive drug with so many side effects. I experienced frequent urination (almost hourly at night) itchy red rashes forearm and upper arm, gas, easy bruising, onset of a mild headache for someone like me who NEVER got headaches. I was prescribed it for a lower leg DVT, initially 2- 5MG tablets twice a day for a week, then 1- 5 MG tablet twice a day. After 6 weeks I began a gradual tapering off (AMA of course, against medical advice) My plan of action was to increase my daily water intake by 400% (used to just drink maybe 8 ounces, plus tea, juice, fruits and veggies (which do count for water intake) reduce oily fatty processed foods, and add additional speed walks throughout the day and early eve as my exercise regimen. I believe these changes will prevent any new blood clots. All side effects went away within 36 hours of stopping the medication.”

Angel1945 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 21, 2018

“I have been on Apixaban since last September, but the last few months feeling unwell, a lot of joint pain , started in my legs then neck and eyes blurring, now in my arm, so tired all the time. I just want to see, as I'm going to ask to come off it as it makes me also feel sick at times. I can't go on feeling like this, I don't have a life, went on holiday the pain was really bad, not a good drug for side affects ”

25 years DVT · Taken for 10 years or more August 29, 2021

Eliquis (apixaban): “I am 67 years young, pescatarian , no sugar. Exercise daily, take 5 mg x 2. The only side effects I have is some minor itching, and fatigue. Been on ELIQUIS for over 10 years. It does well for me. An occasional expresso helps some, but eating well is the key. Don’t fool yourself eating junk.”

Learn more about Deep Vein Thrombosis