User Reviews for Pradaxa

Pradaxa has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 88 ratings on Drugs.com. 55% of those users who reviewed Pradaxa reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation
7.2
Deep Vein Thrombosis
Pulmonary Embolism
6.8
Deep Vein Thrombosis, Prophylaxis
Deep Vein Thrombosis/Pulmonary Embolism Prophylaxis Following Hip Replacement Surgery
Summary of Pradaxa reviews 7.1 88 reviews

Reviews for Pradaxa

Char · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 3, 2021

For Pulmonary Embolism: “Been taking Pradaxa for over a year I was on Eliquis but side effects says it causes COPD so told my doctor to take me off of it. So my journey goes on with Pradaxa but I read it causes bronchospasm? Wondering if same as COPD but worded different. Also my body overheats at night time making it difficult to cool down. Does anyone else experience same? It is miserable but need blood thinners.”

Worryfree · Taken for 10 years or more December 6, 2020

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I have a leaky valve causing irregular heartbeat and have been taking Pradaxa for around 15 years allowing me to maintain a very active life without ever worrying about having a stroke due to blood clots. As I have a delicate stomach my doctor prescribed a nightly stomach protector pill.. Before taking my twice daily I I eat part of my breakfast and dinner.”

A-fib guy · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2020

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I’ve been on Pradaxa for four months now and the only side effect is itching. It’s mild but still annoying, especially after I’ve gone to bed. Has anyone else had this problem? Can you offer any advice?”

Some Guy with A-Fib January 23, 2011

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I've taken Pradaxa for two weeks and have seen a great reduction in the soreness in my joints and muscles vs Coumadin. I have also seen a steady improvement in my stamina levels. I also believe small nicks and cuts heal a little faster and bleeding is not quite as pronounced as with Coumadin when you do accidentally nick yourself. I haven't experienced any digestive problems as listed as a side effect. It may be too soon the pass judgment on this drug because of the short time I've taken it. The only negative I've found so far is the expense of Pradaxa. It is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than Coumadin and I hope the manufacturer of this drug will work to reduce the cost so more people can benefit from it.”

GG25 June 8, 2013

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “Have been taking Pradaxa 150 twice a day since Sept 2011. Initially had extreme acid reflux and heartburn. Tried Nexium, Zantac, Tums, GasX. What has worked best for me is to NEVER take it on an empty stomach. In the evening I eat a small carton of some kind of yogurt before taking my evening dose. Since beginning this regimen I rarely have to take an antacid of any kind.”

Pradaxa Is A Large Step Forward · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 31, 2013

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “If you are new to taking this medication or are currently on Warfarin, here are a few things to keep in mind: (1) when you start this medication you will likely have a lot of acid - be sure to take Ranitidine but in half the dose most physicians will prescribe. Zantac and other meds will change your body's PH and make you likely to get yeast & fungal infections (2) there is no way to reverse the effects of Pradaxa which is a big issue if you are bleeding in a hospital's ER. (3) Pradaxa is great when it comes to diet. You can eat all the broccoli & vitamin K you want. (4) Pradaxa does not require biweekly blood tests. (5) Your joints will ache after 90 days on Pradaxa (6) Vein pain is common.”

Anonymous February 6, 2011

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I am a new user with Pradaxa and have found the same digestive problems, severe acid reflux and heartburn. Also I have had bleeding ulcers twice so I'm a bit concerned about that. However checked with my Doctor who told me to take pill after meals. I tried this, but also discovered the pills must be taken IMMEDIATELY after eating food (not snacks but full meals). I also use Ranitidine with the Pradaxa and found it works. Much more comfort, almost no heartburn, just a slight sensation. I haven't had an INT test so at the moment I don't know if my coagulation levels are okay. But I will do that soon. Overall I feel that using this new medicine I feel better, so I hope this will continue, its a bit early to make the final judgment.”

mkemter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 24, 2012

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “Within two weeks of taking Pradaxa I have experienced a noticeable improvement in health and well-being. Pradaxa has replaced Coumadin, since then all bruising, bleeding and general malaise has ceased. No side effects. From being tired and restless I'm now energetic and active all day. ”

Anonymous February 10, 2011

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I've been taking Pradaxa for about 3 weeks now. Side effects for me have been pretty nonexistent. I'm a Type I diabetic and have not noticed any increase in bleeding or slowness to stop bleeding when I stick myself for glucometer readings - quite the opposite; if anything, the punctures close off in less time than with the Aggrenox I used to take. No stomach problems, no heartburn, no bleeding problems. As to whether it's actually preventing me from having another A-fib related stroke, only time will tell. Just goes to show that the bell shaped curve is always with us - some have problems with it while others don't.”

Anonymous January 21, 2011

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “just started pradaxa and second day had severe heartburn and stomach burning just 15 minutes after taking pill. Checked with my doctor and they suggest taking with food. I tried immediately after lunch also using ranitidinE. It seemed okay. Then second pill after dinner but approximately 2 hours after eating and had almost immediate heartburn and stomach burning. I have had stomach ulcers so I am concerned.”

VBguy · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 17, 2017

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “Greatly prefer pradaxa to coumadin, primarily because of lack of restrictions of eating as much Vitamin K containing healthy greens as I can. Have been taking for several years (I am in my late 60's), and find that the only time I get acid reflux (which can be very painful) is if I forget to take my evening dose and end up taking it as I am already sitting/lying in bed. Drinking a glass of water with the pill, or eating something with the pill, even just a snack, and not lying down or sitting in bed reading right after taking the "missed" pill in the late evening seems to prevent the acid reflux completely - I almost feel as if the pill isn't being swallowed completely, thus causing the reflux, when I take it sitting/lying in bed.”

Ingram007 November 9, 2011

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I have been on Pradaxa for 8 months now after having been on warfarin for 7 yrs. I have absolutely no side effects. I am not cold anymore like I was on warfarin and I also find scratches stop bleeding very quickly compared to warfarin. I had a dental procedure and only stopped Pradaxa for one day and no bleeding other than normal and that was not so with warfarin. I can''t even attempt to say how happy I am to be able to eat or drink anything I want and not have to be careful of so many green vegetables and even spices and no more lab test once a month...I am very happy.”

Anonymous February 2, 2012

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I've been taking this medication (Pradaxa) for almost a year now. I was just recently taken off of it by my cardiologist. I was fine for the first few months or so. As time went on one by one I started to have side effects. There have been several varying from constipation or diarrhea, to horrible bloating in my stomach and abdomen, muscle and joint pain, less stamina, cuts/sores taking longer to heal, heartburn/acid reflux very profound, loss of appetite, etc. ”

Quadia · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 23, 2016

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “When I first started taking Pradaxa, I experienced acid reflux. Since I was on other medications as well, most notably a "water pill," I had to experiment to be sure it was the Pradaxa. I've found that if I eat something.... even a snack or a square of cheese, it doesn't have to be a meal ... before taking Pradaxa, I don't have the acid reflux.”

NK4 · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 9, 2019

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “Taken Pradaxa, 2 per day for 4 years +. The acid reflux issue I solved by taking Pradaxa before 7PM (never after). Also take it with food/glass of milk. Switched by cardiologist now to Eliquis due to kidney function problems with Pradaxa. Apparently Pradaxa is not good for kidneys.”

Ted_S · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 8, 2012

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I have taken Pradaxa for a year now. I've had no side effects, and compared to Coumadin it's great. Taking Coumadin, I had to constantly adjust the dosage because I had only one protime in six months that showed the proper clinical result. With Pradaxa, there is no need for the constant blood testing, no side effects for me, and no reason not to take it.”

Anonymous June 2, 2011

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I have never had heartburn. The day I started Pradaxa I had severe heartburn and have had it daily since. It doesn't seem to matter whether I take my pills after a meal, before or not at all. I got about one hour of sleep last night. If this continues, I will probably go back to Coumadin.”

Amieakka June 22, 2011

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I've taken Pradaxa for almost three months. For the first couple of weeks, I thought I would be one of the fortunate ones as I had no side effects. However, the longer I take it, the more side effects I experience. I cannot take it on an empty stomach, or even with only a light meal. I have heartburn, especially at night, plus the bowel issues, which seem to get worse daily. I don't want to go back to Coumadin, though. I'm going to have ablation surgery and if it goes as planned, I hope to be able to stop taking blood thinner after a few weeks.”

SLEEPYGUY March 6, 2016

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “Have been taking pradaxa for over 2 years. Only problems were bleeding when had teeth pulled. This was attended to. To resolve my acid reflux I make sure I drink water after I take the pills. This corrected this for me. I take 2 pills a day.”

mrallard · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 19, 2015

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I was given the choice of pradaxa or warfarin, I chose pradaxa as no ongoing blood tests etc. I have an acid reflux and take a PPI, having given up smoking and drinking alcohol. I don't notice any major side effects. I do fart a bit, but then I always have. 11 months on 300mg per day no complaints.”

Anonymous May 28, 2011

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I have been using Pradaxa for 6 months now,.I have had severe heartburn issues (horrible heartburn, stomach pain etc.) and found the only way to avoid this is to take the medicine and immediately afterwards have a meal. It seems the food on top of the medicine works better than the other way around (food first, medicine second). Small snacks are not sufficient to suppress the acid attacks. Also, I have to take Nexium to reduce stomach acid production. I have to take it at least 1 hour before breakfast to be effective. According to the company, no testing has been done re: Nexium interference with Pradaxa. I noticed a marked improvement re: bleeding and bruising in comparison to Coumadin.”

lenkerb June 15, 2011

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I have been on Pradaxa 150mg for four months. After surgery my heart went into atrial fibrillation. I was prescribed Pradaxa twice a day for two weeks and then had cardio shock. I was told stay on Pradaxa for three more months. I have not had any side effects. The only other medicine I take is metoprolol 50mg twice a day. I do have a glass of wine daily.”

Country · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 21, 2019

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I have been taking Pradaxa over a year now. I am happy to say I have not noticed any side effects. I am frustrated because due to taking this type of medication I can't take anti inflammatory drugs. Not even CBD oil. I have fibromyalgia and it has been a real problem.”

lou21347 May 31, 2011

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “Have been on Pradaxa for 2 months. Loved it compared to warfarin but am now noticing small round bruise circles and getting the gout which I had no attacks for 9 months until I started taking this medicine. Would love to be on this but I guess side effects are catching up to me. ”

Jesse's girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 9, 2017

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “Started December 2016, afib caused by thyroid. Lethargic, painful muscles and joints like I have the flu, swelling/bloated all over, indigestion enough to be hospitalized...over all not great...wish I didn't have to take it!”

ln2 October 6, 2012

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “Cost reduced because of discount card. Had bad gas, stomach upset after taking each dose until I read about taking Zantac before eating and then taking Pradaxa immediately after meal. I had been taking Pradaxa before breakfast which resulted in burping and gas, and a few hours after dinner which caused bad bloating and stomach upset. Took Nexium for a month incorrectly also, taking before breakfast along with Pradaxa. First time I used Zantac 30 min before dinner and then took Pradaxa immediately after eating I had minimal gas and stomach issues.”

AmieAkka August 23, 2011

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “I have been taking Pradaxa for 5 months. The first two months, I really thought I would have to go back to warfarin due to stomach/bowel problems and significant heartburn. After a couple of months, the digestive and bowel problems gradually went away. I also discovered the heartburn was reduced by taking the pill right before or during a meal (not just a snack), along with taking it with a full glass of water, and not lying down for an hour or so after taking it. I'm relieved that I can stay on it since I hated being on warfarin. Hopefully the cost becomes more reasonable.”

JMcW · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2020

For Deep Vein Thrombosis: “I have a Factor V Leiden gene that makes me more susceptible to blood clotting, After having multiple DVT's in my leg, I was put on Coumadin. After a year Coumadin was causing random large bruises at random places. I switched to Pradaxa a year ago and could not be happier. No Bruising at all, no nose bleeds either. Cuts do bleed a while, but not like they did with coumadin. Not having to monitor my intake of Greens and not having to get constant blood tests are so nice. If you are on Coumadin, switch to Pradaxa NOW. (I take my pradaxa with my meal and do not have heart burn)”