Iberet Liquid Side Effects
Generic Name: multivitamin with iron
Note: This document contains side effect information about multivitamin with iron. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Iberet Liquid.
For the Consumer
Applies to multivitamin with iron: oral capsule, oral miscellaneous, oral solution reconstituted, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release
Other dosage forms:
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Stomach cramps.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Change in color of stool to green.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Belly pain.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to multivitamin with iron: injectable solution, oral capsule, oral capsule extended release, oral liquid, oral powder for reconstitution, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet extended release
Gastrointestinal side effects associated with oral iron therapy have included nausea, constipation, anorexia, heartburn, vomiting, and diarrhea. These effects are generally dose-related. In addition, stools may appear darker in color in patients taking products containing iron. Iron oral preparations may rarely cause Hemoccult-positive stools, patients with positive tests generally require further work-up.[Ref]
Stained teeth have primarily occurred following ingestion of iron liquid preparation.
Iron overload (i.e., hemosiderosis) has been reported in patients genetically predisposed, or have underlying disorders, that augment the absorption of iron. It has also occurred following administration of excessive parenteral iron therapy, combination of oral and parenteral iron, or in patients with hemoglobinopathies that were erroneously diagnosed as iron deficiency anemia. Hemosiderosis is treated with repeated phlebotomy or long-term administration of deferoxamine. The liver is particularly susceptible to toxicity in iron-overload states.[Ref]
Other side effects associated with oral iron products have included stained teeth and iron overload (hemosiderosis). Secondary hemochromatosis due to prolonged iron ingestion has been reported rarely.[Ref]
Metabolic side effects associated with iron have included decreased absorption of thyroxine (T4).[Ref]
1. Hutchins L, Lipschitz D "Iron and folate metabolism in renal failure." Semin Nephrol 5 (1985): 142-6
2. Brock C, Curry H, Hanna C, Knipfer M, Taylor L "Adverse effects of iron supplementation: a comparative trial of a wax- matrix iron preparation and conventional ferrous sulfate tablets." Clin Ther 7 (1985): 568-73
3. Pollycove M "Iron overload syndromes." Clin Physiol Biochem 4 (1986): 61-77
4. Falk RJ, Mattern WD, Lamanna RW, Gitelman HJ, Parker NC, Cross RE, Rastall JR "Iron removal during continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis using deferoxamine." Kidney Int 24 (1983): 110-2
5. M'Seffar A, Fornasier VL, Fox IH "Arthropathy as the major clinical indicator of occult iron storage disease." JAMA 238 (1977): 1825-8
6. Bacon BR "Causes of iron overload." N Engl J Med 326 (1992): 126-7
7. Surks MI, Sievert R "Drugs and thyroid function." N Engl J Med 333 (1995): 1688-94
Some side effects of Iberet Liquid may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about Iberet Liquid (multivitamin with iron)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: iron products