Epiduo Side Effects
Generic name: adapalene / benzoyl peroxide topical
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on March 14, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about adapalene / benzoyl peroxide topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Epiduo.
Common side effects of Epiduo include: burning sensation of skin, desquamation, stinging of the skin, erythema of skin, and xeroderma. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to adapalene/benzoyl peroxide topical: topical application gel/jelly
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking adapalene / benzoyl peroxide topical:
- Dryness and peeling of the skin
- flushing or redness of the skin
- unusually warm skin
- Blistering, burning, crusting, or flaking of the skin
- burning, itching, redness, skin rash, swelling, or soreness at the application site
- scaling, severe redness, or swelling of the skin
Incidence not known
- Skin pain
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of adapalene / benzoyl peroxide topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Incidence not known
- Burning, dry, or itching eyes
- change in the color of the treated skin
- discharge or excessive tearing
- redness, pain, or swelling of the eye, eyelid, or inner lining of the eyelid
- skin rash, encrusted, scaly, and oozing
- swelling of the face
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to adapalene / benzoyl peroxide topical: topical gel
Common (1% to 10%): Irritative contact dermatitis, dry skin/dryness, skin irritation, erythema, skin exfoliation/scaling
Frequency not reported: Skin pain/stinging pain
Postmarketing reports: Allergic contract dermatitis, blisters/vesicles, skin discoloration, rash[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Application site burning, application site irritation[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Burning sensation/skin burning sensation[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Throat tightness[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Swelling face[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. "Product Information. Epiduo (adapalene-benzoyl peroxide topical)." Galderma Laboratories Inc, Cranbury, NJ.
More about Epiduo (adapalene / benzoyl peroxide topical)
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 681 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: topical acne agents
- FDA Approval History
- Other brands
- Epiduo Forte
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.