Blincyto Side Effects
Generic name: blinatumomab
Note: This document contains side effect information about blinatumomab. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Blincyto.
Common side effects of Blincyto include: encephalopathy, seizure disorder, febrile neutropenia, opportunistic infection, balance impairment, confusion, cytokine release syndrome, disorientation, headache, impaired consciousness, tremor, fever, hypotension, increased serum alanine aminotransferase, increased serum aspartate aminotransferase, nausea, neutropenia, speech disturbance, and bacteremia. Other side effects include: pneumonia, sepsis, tumor lysis syndrome, and increased serum bilirubin. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to blinatumomab: parenteral powder for injection
Cytokine Release Syndrome
- Cytokine release syndrome, sometimes life-threatening or fatal, reported.1 2
- Interruption or discontinuance of blinatumomab therapy may be necessary.1 (See Cytokine Release Syndrome under Dosage and Administration and also under Cautions.)
- Neurologic toxicities, sometimes severe, life-threatening, or fatal, reported.1 2
- Interruption or discontinuance of blinatumomab therapy may be necessary.1 (See Neurologic Toxicity under Dosage and Administration and also under Cautions.)
FDA approved a REMS for blinatumomab to ensure that the benefits outweigh the risks. The REMS may apply to one or more preparations of blinatumomab and consists of the following: communication plan. See the FDA REMS page ([Web]).
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to blinatumomab: intravenous powder for injection
Very common (10% or more): Hypotension (up to 11%)
Very common (10% or more): Nausea (up to 25%), constipation (up to 20%), diarrhea (e.g., colitis, diarrhea, enteritis, and neutropenic colitis) (up to 20%), abdominal pain (up to 15%), vomiting (up to 13%)[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Febrile neutropenia (up to 25%), anemia (up to 18%), neutropenia (up to 16%), thrombocytopenia (up to 11%)
Common (1% to 10%): Leukopenia, leukocytosis, lymphopenia
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Capillary leak syndrome[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Hypersensitivity[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Cytokine release syndrome (up to 11%), various pathogen infections (44%), bacterial infections (19%), fungal infections (15%), viral infections (13%), increased weight (up to 11%)
Common (1% to 10%): Cytokine storm[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Hypokalemia (up to 23%), hypomagnesemia (up to 12%), hyperglycemia (up to 11%), decreased appetite (up to 10%)
Very common (10% or more): Headache (up to 36%), tremor (e.g., resting tremor and tremor) (up to 20%), dizziness (up to 14%)
Common (1% to 10%): Encephalopathy, paresthesia, aphasia, convulsion, memory impairment, cognitive disorder
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Speech disorder[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Pyrexia (up to 62%), peripheral edema (up to 25%), fatigue (up to 17%), chills (up to 15%), chest pain (up to 11%)
Very common (10% or more): Increased alanine aminotransferase (up to 12%), increased aspartate aminotransferase (up to 11%)[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Insomnia (up to 15%),
Common (1% to 10%): Confusion, disorientation[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Cough (up to 19%), dyspnea (e.g., acute respiratory failure, bronchial hyperactivity, bronchospasm, dyspnea, dyspnea exertional, respiratory distress, respiratory failure, wheezing) (up to 15%)
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Bronchospasm[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
- How much does Blincyto (blinatumomab) cost?
- Is Blincyto (blinatumomab) chemotherapy?
- How is Blincyto taken / administered?
More about Blincyto (blinatumomab)
- Drug interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug images
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- En español
- Drug class: CD19 monoclonal antibodies
- FDA approval history
Related treatment guides
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
2. Pharmaceutical Society of Australia "APPGuide online. Australian prescription products guide online. http://www.appco.com.au/appguide/default.asp." (2006):
3. "Product Information. Blincyto (blinatumomab)." Amgen USA (2014):
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.