Articadent Side Effects
Generic name: articaine / epinephrine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 2, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about articaine / epinephrine. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Articadent.
Applies to articaine / epinephrine: injection solution.
Serious side effects of Articadent
Along with its needed effects, articaine / epinephrine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking articaine / epinephrine:
- Bleeding, redness, or swelling of the gums
- fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
- lower back or side pain
- mouth ulcers
- painful or difficult urination
- swelling of the face
- swelling or irritation of the mouth
- Blurred vision
- body aches or pain
- coughing up blood
- difficulty in breathing or swallowing
- difficulty opening the mouth
- dryness or soreness of the throat
- facial paralysis
- headache, severe and throbbing
- increase in bone pain
- increased menstrual flow or vaginal bleeding
- increased sensitivity to pain or touch
- large, flat, blue or purplish patches in the skin
- muscle spasm, especially of the neck and back
- pounding in the ears
- prolonged bleeding from cuts
- red or black, tarry stools
- red or dark brown urine
- redness or swelling in the ear
- runny or stuffy nose
- slow or fast heartbeat
- swelling of the tongue
- swollen, painful, or tender lymph glands in the neck, armpit, or groin
- tingling in the hands and feet
- trouble in swallowing
- voice changes
Incidence not known
- Bigger, dilated, or enlarged pupils (black part of the eye)
- burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings of the mouth
- chest pain or discomfort
- double vision
- drooping upper eyelids
- increased sensitivity of the eyes to light
- pain in the shoulders, arms, jaw, or neck
- seeing double
Other side effects of Articadent
Some side effects of articaine / epinephrine may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- change in taste
- bad unusual or unpleasant (after) taste
- difficulty in moving
- dry mouth
- increased salivation
- itching skin
- joint pain or swelling
- lack or loss of strength
- muscle pain or stiffness
- pain or burning at the injection site
- runny nose
- sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
- stomach discomfort, upset, or pain
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to articaine / epinephrine: injectable solution.
Other side effects including pain (up to 13%), headache (up to 5%), positive blood aspiration into syringe (3.2%), swelling (2.7%), face edema (1%), infection (1%), neck pain, abdominal pain, ear pain, taste perversion, and accidental injury have been reported.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects including nausea and emesis (1.6%), gingivitis (1%), constipation, diarrhea, dyspepsia, glossitis, gum hemorrhage, mouth ulceration, nausea, stomatitis, tongue edema, tooth disorder, and vomiting have been reported.[Ref]
General side effects including sleepiness (1.1%), malaise, and asthenia have been reported.
Nervous system side effects including paresthesia (1%), numbness and tingling (1%), dizziness, dry mouth, facial paralysis, hyperesthesia, increased salivation, nervousness, neuropathy, paresthesia, somnolence, and exacerbation of Kearns-Sayre syndrome have been reported.
Persistent paresthesias of the lips, tongue, and oral tissues have been reported with use of articaine, with slow, incomplete, or no recovery. These events have been reported chiefly following nerve blocks in the mandible and have involved the trigeminal nerve and its branches.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects including pharyngitis, rhinitis, sinus pain, and sinus congestion have been reported.
Hematologic side effects including ecchymosis and lymphadenopathy have been reported.
Metabolic side effects including edema and thirst have been reported.
Local side effects including injection site pain and a burning
sensation above the injection site have been reported.
Dermatologic side effects including pruritus and skin disorder have been reported.
Genitourinary side effects including dysmenorrhea have been reported.
More about Articadent (articaine / epinephrine)
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Septocaine (articaine-epinephrine)." Septodont Incorporated (2008):
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.