Anturane Side Effects
Generic name: sulfinpyrazone
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 6, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about sulfinpyrazone. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Anturane.
Applies to sulfinpyrazone: oral capsule, oral tablet
Hematologic side effects including anemia, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia, and aplastic anemia have occurred. Two cases of leukemia following chronic sulfinpyrazone (the active ingredient contained in Anturane) therapy have been reported. Concomitant drug therapy was also reported and a causal relationship with sulfinpyrazone has not been established.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects have been limited to rash.[Ref]
Renal failure has been reported. Suggested mechanisms have included hypersensitivity induced interstitial nephritis, tubular-interstitial damage due to precipitation of urinary uric acid crystals, and inhibition of renal prostaglandin synthesis. Urolithiasis and renal colic may occur following initiation of therapy. Adequate fluid intake and urinary alkalinization are recommended.[Ref]
More about Anturane (sulfinpyrazone)
Related treatment guides
1. Mattingly D, Bradley M, Selley PJ "Hazards of sulphinpyrazone." Br Med J 2 (1978): 1786-7
2. "Product Information. Anturane (sulfinpyrazone)." Novartis Pharmaceuticals (2001):
3. Keidar S, Kohan R, Levy J, et al. "Non oliguric acute renal failure after treatment with sulfinpyrazone." Clin Nephrol 17 (1982): 266-7
4. Lenfant F, Lahet JJ, Volot F, Schafer I, Freysz M, Rochette L "Effects of bupivacaine on human erythrocytes submitted to stress and evidence for an interaction between bupivacaine and flumazenil." Br J Clin Pharmacol 48 (1999): 826-8
5. Howard T, Hoy RH, Warren S, Georgiev M, Selinger H "Acute renal dysfunction due to sulfinpyrazone therapy in post- myocardial infarction cardiomegaly: reversible hypersensitiv interstitial nephritis." Am Heart J 102 (1981): 294-5
6. Walls M, Goral S, Stone W "Acute renal failure due to sulfinpyrazone." Am J Med Sci 315 (1998): 319-21
7. Braun J "Abnormalities of urinary sediment and renal failure following sulfinpyrazone therapy." Arch Intern Med 136 (1976): 1060-1
8. Keidar S, Kohan R, Levy J, Grenadier E, Palant A, Ben Ari J "Non oliguric acute renal failure after treatment with sulfinpyrazone." Clin Nephrol 17 (1982): 266-7
9. Lijnen P, Boelaert J, van Eeghem P, Daneels R, Schurgers M, de Jaegere P, van der Stichele E, Vincke J, Fagard R, Verschueren LJ, Amery A "Decrease in renal function due to sulphinpyrazone treatment early after myocardial infarction." Clin Nephrol 19 (1983): 143-6
10. Boelaert J, Lijnen P, Robbens E, Rocher A, Daneels R, Schurgers M, Amery A "Impairment of renal function due to sulphinpyrazone after coronary artery bypass surgery: a prospective double-blind study." J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 8 (1986): 386-91
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.