User Reviews for Allopurinol

Also known as: Aloprim, Lopurin, Zyloprim

Learn more about Allopurinol.

Urinary Tract Stones 3 reviews 18 medications

8.8
Gout 41 reviews 8 medications

7.9
Hyperuricemia Second... to Chemotherapy 1 reviews 7 medications

Summary of Allopurinol reviews 45 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Allopurinol

For Gout: "40 yrs old male, 6' 245 lbs. Experienced gout for first time at age 37 from too much alcohol, red meat, lentils etc. Maybe one or two outbreaks a year. Took indomethacin and it would clear up in 5 to 7 days. I guess I wasn't that worried about it cause I had a answer that worked for the occasional flare up. However, this was routine till 4/17. Had a flare up the first week of April, lasted seven days. Swelling subsided but this time I had limited flexibility with pain that has lasted thru May 9. I'm guilty of having a GP prescribe me Allopourinol from day one, and I never taken it. I have a cabinet full of them. I've started taking them about 3 weeks ago and now the flexibility and pain is really subsiding. Start it and stay on it! It works!"

McKinney Texas (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "Like all meds, this does not work for everyone, and I'm unlucky. I still get gout symptoms (inflamed big toe joint, pain) after using it. Almost a year on this med, and 5.7 uric acid level down from 5.8."

Gout-a-rama (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aloprim (allopurinol) for Gout: "I have had gout on and off for a few years now, I was prescribed Allopurinol by my GP. It took a month or so before I really worked well. I can really say it has done the trick for me."

Steve K. May 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "Taken for 20 yrs now no cases of acute gout since - unless I drink too much. Fantastic drug!!!!"

Drden564 May 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "After many years on allopurinol,I switched to drinking more water . The redness and frequent pain in my left foot disappeared within a short time and a blood test showed a normal level of uric acid."

Ormanus (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: " 300 mg and colcris to reduce anything the might happen. Miracle drug if something on side line whoops the gout in shape. Took for 30 days and was in perfect shape... had a bad gout attack and found more colcris which was prescribed a year ago and I wasn't suppose to be taking ... anyways however I was taking it for 30 more days... My feet were in peace and in heaven for the ultimate use your foot at u wanted mode. 3 days after colcris ran out... It's been hell! I don't know what to do.... I just might finally cut my foot off!"

Goutsucks February 18, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "For years I have suffered from Gout and the reviews are right, the pain is often unbearable! I have tophi in my right big toe joint and have not been able to wear "real" shoes for years. A friend of mine recommended the treatment to me. I discussed it with my doctor and he agreed to start me on the medication. It has been a God send to me! I have been taking Allopurinol 100mg once daily for several months now. It has stopped the severe pain and made it easier to walk on my feet! I have very dry skin now, but I do not want to go back to living with that pain daily. Other than the dry skin I have not had any problems. My pain got better quickly. If you suffer from this pain ask your doctor about putting you on Allourinol."

PDM-Penny January 18, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "Had first attack at age of 20 . Didn't treat it till i was 36 . Was really bad - couldn't work . Constant pain ... . My dr. Put me on allopurinol about a year ago . First month - it's gotten worse. But since then I have been completely attack free !!! It's done a miracle for me . I can eat and drink and enjoy life . Didn't see any side effects ."

D. Wilson (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "This made my 11th episode with gout in 9 months. Very painful. The Dr., put me on gout meds that begin with the letter C., and Allpurinol. I keep getting these flares in my feet and ankles with a lot of swelling! So far so good on the combined treatments for Gout all ng with alternating heat/cold and rest with plenty of water and rest. For anyone whom hasn't had Gout you don't want it as it's the most painful thing I've gone thru with!"

tbeckys1 November 7, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Hyperuricemia Secondary to Chemotherapy: "Significant skin rash all over body with severe itching and swelling in ankles and calves."

No not me June 19, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "pretty good."

vijay v May 14, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "Am 56 and have suffered gout in miltiple joints since I was 20. Have tried every drug available with no great relief and a lot of side effects. Went onto allopurinol early 2016 and after some pain due to how allopurinol initially works I am pain free and it is great. No side effects so far. All of my tophi appear to have dissolved."

BrianBeitz (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "At 73 had a gout attack. tried to get over for 4 months. went to Dr. and he prescribed allopurinol 300. I used it for a couple weeks and started getting better. I have been taking for 4 months and doing good.Have problem bending big toe, but everyday I feel that I am improving. Uric acid back to normal. prescription running out, and I do not know if that means I will have to stop using it."

Alchie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "No problems"

czarman (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 10, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "Started taking allopurinol at age 54 after trying to manage Gout through lifestyle and diet for 14 years. Adopted vegetarian diet, limited use of alcohol and was not overweight. What finally "cracked" me was a severe attack in one of my ankles, whereas previous attacks (about 1 / year) always struck the left toe joint. Attacks were typically prompted by severe exertion and dehydration. Uric acid level had crept up to 7.2 and stayed there. Started on a regiment of 300mg Allopurinol and 10mg/colchicine. It prompted an initial, minor flare-up, but none since. Stopped the colchicine after 6 months and am continuing the allopurinol 300mg once daily. Most recent uric acid level is 5.2 and have had no issues, or side-effects."

RockinTukkker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2016

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "Gout attacks began in late 20's then gradually progressed from big toe to elbows, knees, wrist, knuckles, ankle, etc. 35 years old now with long family history of gout. Started off 100mg gradually up to 300mg at the moment. First year of use was brutal with daily to weekly attacks. Still receiving attacks even at the moment just not as severe (more than one joint attacked). Attacks have spread further apart in time. Still unsure about allopurinol, but luckily no major side effects other than dry mouth, dry skin, and if cut, takes longer to stop bleeding. Overall I'd say it is helping, but very slowly...."

Hvac tech (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 29, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "I'd put ZERO, but probably won't show! 2 weeks after taking it I started to itch. PA should have taken me off. 4 weeks after start, my kidneys started to fail. 5 weeks after my face, hands, feet started to swell and flake. My Dr.'s investigated and I had a syndrome called DRESS, Drug Rash with Eosinophilia and Systemic Symptoms. Allopurinol is one of a handful of meds that causes DRESS. I've also read that it has an 8% mortality rate, which is MUCH too high!"

keagirl29 (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Stones: "I have been on 300 mg Allopurinol daily for 7-8 years to control kidney stones. My experience has been very satisfactory. The pill color was ORANGE for all the years until my last refill. I get a 90 count refill and the last TWO refills have been WHITE with the imprint AX and without any numerals. I have not unsealed the last one of those two refills as I have a few left in the first one. However I have been having a pain in my left side that I finally have determined kidney stone symptom. In recent reflecting I believe this has started a within the period when I began with the WHITE AX pills. Would appreciate your comments. I do intend to consult my local pharmacist this coming week. "

Sootey January 1, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "First had gout at 38 - too much booze (about 50-60 units a week for years and years) plus a diet rich in oily fish. Didn't know what it was for a couple of years - diagnosed at age of 40, 18 months ago, and went on daily Allopurinol. Haven't had a twinge since. Am trying to drink less, albeit not very successfully - nevertheless, would recommend this drug 100%."

Ciaran O'Shaughnessy December 12, 2015

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "I suffered debilitating Gout foot pain, due to my love for animal-based protein. With Allopurinol daily, I can eat those foods again...just in moderation now. I am a fit, lean 51-year-old Mountain Biker, who rides 3-4x a week. Side effects are nighttime itchy arms and back. I hate taking any meds - but Allopurinol is cheap and now part of my daily dosing. I also had to stop taking daily Aspirin(325mg) as it was amplifying my Uric Acid levels."

ZachariahMTB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2015

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "I suffered with episodes of severe painful gout for two years. Then I was started on Allopurinol. I haven't had the gout since. Now my doctor wants to stop prescribing it. For no reason. I am very upset. I will change doctors if I have to. I never want the gout again."

jrclen September 13, 2015

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "First gout attack in big toe at 42 lasted two months. Couldn't wait to get on allopurinol. Started at 100mg for a week, then 200mg for a week, then 300mg steady. Also taking 0.6mg colchicine. UA went from over 10 to less than 5 in a month and no flare ups. Side effects include aching foot and fatigue, but overall it's definitely worth it."

Gout-be-gone (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2015

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "I used to get gout from age 60 on, sometimes very bad,used colchizine and voltaren. Cherries and avoiding carbonated drinks and seafood. Now I consume these w gusto. Am on Allopurinol for more than a year and feel fine but the skin on my face is rough, and I get more dandruff, A small price to pay for PAINLESSNESS. I am 77 now."

Valvetrom August 26, 2015

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "Tried allopurinol low dose one day after the gout attack it increased my uric acid to 12 from 8 ( measured reliabily ). Dr said it will take a week to stabilize but I guess I am one of the unlucky guys."

Vijay vish July 23, 2015

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Gout: "My mother, brother, 1 sister and myself have all had this diagnosis. My mother was the worse suffer until she was put on allopurinol. When she had a bad flare her mode of travel was a wheelchair. I was next in the worse category then my brother and sister. All of us have received moderate to good relief from the pain associated with Gout. A small change in our diet was also started, but for one and he loved his alcohol. Allopurinol has cut way down the number of flares I now experience."

pammie gail (taken for 10 years or more) December 3, 2014