User Reviews for Allopurinol

Also known as: Aloprim, Lopurin, Zyloprim

Learn more about Allopurinol.

Urinary Tract Stones 3 reviews 18 medications

8.8
Gout 47 reviews 9 medications

Hyperuricemia Second... to Chemotherapy 1 reviews 7 medications

Summary of Allopurinol reviews 51 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Allopurinol

For Gout: "41 year old male been dealing with gout for about 5 years now. At first I didn't know what it was I just started getting pains in my feet. Long story short it progressed into frequent attacks in my ankles with pain beyond belief. I tried all the natural remedies and they helped a little, especially cherry juice, but I was losing the battle. I've never been so depressed and I was literally going out of my mind. I finally started allopurinol per my doctor. 100mg at first then 200mg. At first I got more attacks for about a month. But then they subsided and I've been attack free since. God send. No side affects but maybe some dry skin. If you are suffering with this try this drug. It could save your sanity it did mine. Just remember it is better to start it between attacks (while you don't actually have gout) and your gout might get worse before it just goes away"

John1976 August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "I experienced attacks of gout from my 20's on - debilitating pain in a foot joint being the most common symptom. I'd have half a dozen attacks of this per year lasting a few days. I finally went to a doctor in my early 30's and was put on a daily Allopurinol regime, and I haven't had an attack since. I'm currently in my mid 60's. Over the past 6 years I've significantly altered my lifestyle, dropped 60 lbs, exercise far more often, and no longer eat meat, so I'm considering asking my doctor if I should try going off the medication. But overall, it has been a blessing to me."

jahtez (taken for 10 years or more) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "I've had gout for 10 years I'm 37. Over the past 2 years I've been getting attacks every couple of weeks in my feet, ankles, knees and elbow. I was bed bound for a full week in January couldn't walk had to crawl to the toilet absolute horrible time. I started allopurinol 300mg at first then upped it to 600mg as I was still getting attacks. After about 1 month taking 600mg I got a blood test and my urate levels were normal after 10 years. Back down to 300mg per day and not had a gout attack since February. My diet is still the same and I still drink alcohol most weekends but the tablet I take each day controls my gout."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "I signed up just to review this drug. In my late 20s I came down with gout. I was/ am overweight and drink more alcohol then I should. I broke bones, tore ligaments, and I think gout was the worst pain I came across. It wasn't only for the first day, but it would stick with me for days and weeks. I would be intense pain. It was severely impacting my life. I tried taking cherry pills, and other over the counter but nothing seemed to work. After skeptism I began taking allopurinol. I have been taking it for nearly 9 months and have not had a single attack (knock on wood). I am still overweight and drink occasionally like I'm in college."

Nba2854 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "Diagnosed at age 27. Grandfather on one side and uncles and father on the other all have gout. Used to get an attack about once every few months and took colchicine and indicid to control. Am now nearly 42 and a few months ago started taking allopurinol. I tried this 3 or 4 times over the years but immediately had bad gout attacks so was advised to stop. New GP now, started on 100mg a day.....continued attacks, then went to 200mg a day....continued attacks....now 300mg a day and continued attacks. I had a spur and a gouty bursar removed from right elbow about 6 weeks ago and Just been on 20hr flight (both may affect)and had another bad flare up left ankle and crippled last 2days. Help!!:( I get attacks in elbows, ankles, knees and big toe"

GrandCenturion (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "At the age of sixty I've dealt with gout 3 to 5 times a year for about ten years. I never take it until I have a flare up. Having an aversion to meds of any kind I sometimes wait for a week or two, enduring debilitating pain, before I begin titration of allopurinol. It always goes away within a few days. I used to wonder if it was coincidence that it subsided after I take it. After having around 30 bouts with gout I'm convinced this drug works very well for me"

ZeeK AzoiD May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "40 yrs old male, 6' 245 lbs. Experienced gout for first time at age 37 from too much alcohol, red meat, lentils etc. Maybe one or two outbreaks a year. Took indomethacin and it would clear up in 5 to 7 days. I guess I wasn't that worried about it cause I had a answer that worked for the occasional flare up. However, this was routine till 4/17. Had a flare up the first week of April, lasted seven days. Swelling subsided but this time I had limited flexibility with pain that has lasted thru May 9. I'm guilty of having a GP prescribe me Allopourinol from day one, and I never taken it. I have a cabinet full of them. I've started taking them about 3 weeks ago and now the flexibility and pain is really subsiding. Start it and stay on it! It works!"

McKinney Texas (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "Like all meds, this does not work for everyone, and I'm unlucky. I still get gout symptoms (inflamed big toe joint, pain) after using it. Almost a year on this med, and 5.7 uric acid level down from 5.8."

Gout-a-rama (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aloprim (allopurinol) for Gout: "I have had gout on and off for a few years now, I was prescribed Allopurinol by my GP. It took a month or so before I really worked well. I can really say it has done the trick for me."

Steve K. May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "Taken for 20 yrs now no cases of acute gout since - unless I drink too much. Fantastic drug!!!!"

Drden564 May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "After many years on allopurinol,I switched to drinking more water . The redness and frequent pain in my left foot disappeared within a short time and a blood test showed a normal level of uric acid."

Ormanus (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: " 300 mg and colcris to reduce anything the might happen. Miracle drug if something on side line whoops the gout in shape. Took for 30 days and was in perfect shape... had a bad gout attack and found more colcris which was prescribed a year ago and I wasn't suppose to be taking ... anyways however I was taking it for 30 more days... My feet were in peace and in heaven for the ultimate use your foot at u wanted mode. 3 days after colcris ran out... It's been hell! I don't know what to do.... I just might finally cut my foot off!"

Goutsucks February 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "For years I have suffered from Gout and the reviews are right, the pain is often unbearable! I have tophi in my right big toe joint and have not been able to wear "real" shoes for years. A friend of mine recommended the treatment to me. I discussed it with my doctor and he agreed to start me on the medication. It has been a God send to me! I have been taking Allopurinol 100mg once daily for several months now. It has stopped the severe pain and made it easier to walk on my feet! I have very dry skin now, but I do not want to go back to living with that pain daily. Other than the dry skin I have not had any problems. My pain got better quickly. If you suffer from this pain ask your doctor about putting you on Allourinol."

PDM-Penny January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "Had first attack at age of 20 . Didn't treat it till i was 36 . Was really bad - couldn't work . Constant pain ... . My dr. Put me on allopurinol about a year ago . First month - it's gotten worse. But since then I have been completely attack free !!! It's done a miracle for me . I can eat and drink and enjoy life . Didn't see any side effects ."

D. Wilson (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "This made my 11th episode with gout in 9 months. Very painful. The Dr., put me on gout meds that begin with the letter C., and Allpurinol. I keep getting these flares in my feet and ankles with a lot of swelling! So far so good on the combined treatments for Gout all ng with alternating heat/cold and rest with plenty of water and rest. For anyone whom hasn't had Gout you don't want it as it's the most painful thing I've gone thru with!"

tbeckys1 November 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Hyperuricemia Secondary to Chemotherapy: "Significant skin rash all over body with severe itching and swelling in ankles and calves."

No not me June 19, 2016

For Gout: "pretty good."

vijay v May 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "Am 56 and have suffered gout in miltiple joints since I was 20. Have tried every drug available with no great relief and a lot of side effects. Went onto allopurinol early 2016 and after some pain due to how allopurinol initially works I am pain free and it is great. No side effects so far. All of my tophi appear to have dissolved."

BrianBeitz (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "At 73 had a gout attack. tried to get over for 4 months. went to Dr. and he prescribed allopurinol 300. I used it for a couple weeks and started getting better. I have been taking for 4 months and doing good.Have problem bending big toe, but everyday I feel that I am improving. Uric acid back to normal. prescription running out, and I do not know if that means I will have to stop using it."

Alchie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2016

For Gout: "No problems"

czarman (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "Started taking allopurinol at age 54 after trying to manage Gout through lifestyle and diet for 14 years. Adopted vegetarian diet, limited use of alcohol and was not overweight. What finally "cracked" me was a severe attack in one of my ankles, whereas previous attacks (about 1 / year) always struck the left toe joint. Attacks were typically prompted by severe exertion and dehydration. Uric acid level had crept up to 7.2 and stayed there. Started on a regiment of 300mg Allopurinol and 10mg/colchicine. It prompted an initial, minor flare-up, but none since. Stopped the colchicine after 6 months and am continuing the allopurinol 300mg once daily. Most recent uric acid level is 5.2 and have had no issues, or side-effects."

RockinTukkker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "Gout attacks began in late 20's then gradually progressed from big toe to elbows, knees, wrist, knuckles, ankle, etc. 35 years old now with long family history of gout. Started off 100mg gradually up to 300mg at the moment. First year of use was brutal with daily to weekly attacks. Still receiving attacks even at the moment just not as severe (more than one joint attacked). Attacks have spread further apart in time. Still unsure about allopurinol, but luckily no major side effects other than dry mouth, dry skin, and if cut, takes longer to stop bleeding. Overall I'd say it is helping, but very slowly...."

Hvac tech (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "I'd put ZERO, but probably won't show! 2 weeks after taking it I started to itch. PA should have taken me off. 4 weeks after start, my kidneys started to fail. 5 weeks after my face, hands, feet started to swell and flake. My Dr.'s investigated and I had a syndrome called DRESS, Drug Rash with Eosinophilia and Systemic Symptoms. Allopurinol is one of a handful of meds that causes DRESS. I've also read that it has an 8% mortality rate, which is MUCH too high!"

keagirl29 (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Stones: "I have been on 300 mg Allopurinol daily for 7-8 years to control kidney stones. My experience has been very satisfactory. The pill color was ORANGE for all the years until my last refill. I get a 90 count refill and the last TWO refills have been WHITE with the imprint AX and without any numerals. I have not unsealed the last one of those two refills as I have a few left in the first one. However I have been having a pain in my left side that I finally have determined kidney stone symptom. In recent reflecting I believe this has started a within the period when I began with the WHITE AX pills. Would appreciate your comments. I do intend to consult my local pharmacist this coming week. "

Sootey January 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gout: "First had gout at 38 - too much booze (about 50-60 units a week for years and years) plus a diet rich in oily fish. Didn't know what it was for a couple of years - diagnosed at age of 40, 18 months ago, and went on daily Allopurinol. Haven't had a twinge since. Am trying to drink less, albeit not very successfully - nevertheless, would recommend this drug 100%."

Ciaran O'Shaughnessy December 12, 2015