User Reviews for Allopurinol

Also known as: Aloprim, Lopurin, Zyloprim

Learn more about Allopurinol.

Urinary Tract Stones 3 reviews 16 medications

8.8
Gout 32 reviews 8 medications

8.1
Hyperuricemia Second... to Chemotherapy 1 reviews 7 medications

Summary of Allopurinol reviews 36 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Allopurinol

For Hyperuricemia Secondary to Chemotherapy: "Significant skin rash all over body with severe itching and swelling in ankles and calves."

No not me June 19, 2016

For Gout: "pretty good."

vijay v May 14, 2016

For Gout: "Am 56 and have suffered gout in miltiple joints since I was 20. Have tried every drug available with no great relief and a lot of side effects. Went onto allopurinol early 2016 and after some pain due to how allopurinol initially works I am pain free and it is great. No side effects so far. All of my tophi appear to have dissolved."

BrianBeitz (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2016

For Gout: "At 73 had a gout attack. tried to get over for 4 months. went to Dr. and he prescribed allopurinol 300. I used it for a couple weeks and started getting better. I have been taking for 4 months and doing good.Have problem bending big toe, but everyday I feel that I am improving. Uric acid back to normal. prescription running out, and I do not know if that means I will have to stop using it."

Alchie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2016

For Gout: "No problems"

czarman (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 10, 2016

For Gout: "Started taking allopurinol at age 54 after trying to manage Gout through lifestyle and diet for 14 years. Adopted vegetarian diet, limited use of alcohol and was not overweight. What finally "cracked" me was a severe attack in one of my ankles, whereas previous attacks (about 1 / year) always struck the left toe joint. Attacks were typically prompted by severe exertion and dehydration. Uric acid level had crept up to 7.2 and stayed there. Started on a regiment of 300mg Allopurinol and 10mg/colchicine. It prompted an initial, minor flare-up, but none since. Stopped the colchicine after 6 months and am continuing the allopurinol 300mg once daily. Most recent uric acid level is 5.2 and have had no issues, or side-effects."

RockinTukkker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2016

For Gout: "Gout attacks began in late 20's then gradually progressed from big toe to elbows, knees, wrist, knuckles, ankle, etc. 35 years old now with long family history of gout. Started off 100mg gradually up to 300mg at the moment. First year of use was brutal with daily to weekly attacks. Still receiving attacks even at the moment just not as severe (more than one joint attacked). Attacks have spread further apart in time. Still unsure about allopurinol, but luckily no major side effects other than dry mouth, dry skin, and if cut, takes longer to stop bleeding. Overall I'd say it is helping, but very slowly...."

Hvac tech (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 29, 2016

For Gout: "I'd put ZERO, but probably won't show! 2 weeks after taking it I started to itch. PA should have taken me off. 4 weeks after start, my kidneys started to fail. 5 weeks after my face, hands, feet started to swell and flake. My Dr.'s investigated and I had a syndrome called DRESS, Drug Rash with Eosinophilia and Systemic Symptoms. Allopurinol is one of a handful of meds that causes DRESS. I've also read that it has an 8% mortality rate, which is MUCH too high!"

keagirl29 (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2016

For Urinary Tract Stones: "I have been on 300 mg Allopurinol daily for 7-8 years to control kidney stones. My experience has been very satisfactory. The pill color was ORANGE for all the years until my last refill. I get a 90 count refill and the last TWO refills have been WHITE with the imprint AX and without any numerals. I have not unsealed the last one of those two refills as I have a few left in the first one. However I have been having a pain in my left side that I finally have determined kidney stone symptom. In recent reflecting I believe this has started a within the period when I began with the WHITE AX pills. Would appreciate your comments. I do intend to consult my local pharmacist this coming week. "

Sootey January 1, 2016

For Gout: "First had gout at 38 - too much booze (about 50-60 units a week for years and years) plus a diet rich in oily fish. Didn't know what it was for a couple of years - diagnosed at age of 40, 18 months ago, and went on daily Allopurinol. Haven't had a twinge since. Am trying to drink less, albeit not very successfully - nevertheless, would recommend this drug 100%."

Ciaran O'Shaughnessy December 12, 2015

For Gout: "I suffered debilitating Gout foot pain, due to my love for animal-based protein. With Allopurinol daily, I can eat those foods again...just in moderation now. I am a fit, lean 51-year-old Mountain Biker, who rides 3-4x a week. Side effects are nighttime itchy arms and back. I hate taking any meds - but Allopurinol is cheap and now part of my daily dosing. I also had to stop taking daily Aspirin(325mg) as it was amplifying my Uric Acid levels."

ZachariahMTB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 30, 2015

For Gout: "I suffered with episodes of severe painful gout for two years. Then I was started on Allopurinol. I haven't had the gout since. Now my doctor wants to stop prescribing it. For no reason. I am very upset. I will change doctors if I have to. I never want the gout again."

jrclen September 13, 2015

For Gout: "First gout attack in big toe at 42 lasted two months. Couldn't wait to get on allopurinol. Started at 100mg for a week, then 200mg for a week, then 300mg steady. Also taking 0.6mg colchicine. UA went from over 10 to less than 5 in a month and no flare ups. Side effects include aching foot and fatigue, but overall it's definitely worth it."

Gout-be-gone (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2015

For Gout: "I used to get gout from age 60 on, sometimes very bad,used colchizine and voltaren. Cherries and avoiding carbonated drinks and seafood. Now I consume these w gusto. Am on Allopurinol for more than a year and feel fine but the skin on my face is rough, and I get more dandruff, A small price to pay for PAINLESSNESS. I am 77 now."

Valvetrom August 26, 2015

For Gout: "Tried allopurinol low dose one day after the gout attack it increased my uric acid to 12 from 8 ( measured reliabily ). Dr said it will take a week to stabilize but I guess I am one of the unlucky guys."

Vijay vish July 23, 2015

For Gout: "My mother, brother, 1 sister and myself have all had this diagnosis. My mother was the worse suffer until she was put on allopurinol. When she had a bad flare her mode of travel was a wheelchair. I was next in the worse category then my brother and sister. All of us have received moderate to good relief from the pain associated with Gout. A small change in our diet was also started, but for one and he loved his alcohol. Allopurinol has cut way down the number of flares I now experience."

pammie gail (taken for 10 years or more) December 3, 2014

For Gout: "30 year old male. had gout for 1 year. 1st attack so bad that it developed tophi in my big toe joint. Uric acid was 9.6 at the time. Made some diet changes but that only brought me down to 7.4. I have gout attacks quite often, but most are mild. Ive been on 100mg allopurinol for a month with no side effects. Uric acid is now 6.2 so I had my dosage increased to 200mg so I can get below 6. It is very important to get on daily colchicine (0.6mg twice a day) while starting allopurinol. I learned the hard way."

aero guy November 8, 2013

Aloprim (allopurinol) for Gout: "I have had experience with gout since1975. Anyone with similar experience knows by now the pain gout inflicts. There were early periods when my use of allopurinol was intermittent. This proved to not resolve the problem for me. Sine 1977, my daily use of allopurinol has resolved the problem. Hopefully others have had similar relief."

TKE268 October 22, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Gout: "I've had undisguised symptoms for 20 year causing mild discomfort e.g. Uric acid buildup on earlobes. Chronic wrist pain. Moderate two attacks , all annoying but I never figured it to be gout or realize the horror about unleash itself on me at a fit 49 years old. I exercise, only about 10 lbs overweight and eat healthy. I was a heavy beer drinker though. Last year my left wrist and thumb swoll to the size of a red grotesque boxing glove. No pain medication could touch it. Imagine bone fracture pain with no relief. I was in chronic pain, depressed despondent and close to suicidal. Because I had ignored symptoms for so long the rheumatologist told me I had "entrenched" gout and the allopurinol was going to make it worse before it got better."

Wizmasta October 22, 2013

For Gout: "Spent a year in foot pain hell as one doctor after another misdiagnosed my gout. I was in a bad way, spending night after day after night in 10 out of 10 pain, wondering what the point was. I finally found a podiatrist willing to *listen* to my symptoms and put two and two together. After going on 300 mg allopurinol/day three years ago, I'm essentially symptom free with uric acid bouncing around 6.0. Like others on this board, I spend a couple of days a year with a slight stiffness in my arch. But otherwise I am functioning normally. I simply can't imagine going back to my life without Allorpurinol - truly a miracle."

AllopurinolFan (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2013

For Gout: "3 years - no attacks or side effects. Am now having one - forgot how bad they are. Going to watch diet closer. Overall good medicine - take 300 mg/day. I'm 50 yrs old."

Dc9sandharleys September 12, 2013

For Gout: "After a multi-year personal trial, it was found that if I consumed anything with Canola Oil it affected the efficacy of the allopurinol. As long as I take my daily 300mg and avoid Canola, then beef and beer (in moderation) are back in the diet. No full blown attacks in 18 months."

CeliacGoutSufferer (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 17, 2013

For Gout: "I got terrible gout and played ice hockey when it first appeared. I'd be out of the lineup for weeks. The Doc had me on various medicines... none worked. I read about Allopurinol on a web search, suggested it to him. Only time I feel the gout coming is when I forget my daily dose. It been 10 years of success with no side effects. "

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) July 2, 2012

For Gout: "Allopurinol works extremely well for me. I am on 300 mg per day and it seems to do the trick. However, my one beef is that sometimes the pills will suddenly stop working and I have to buy a new batch. I am guessing this is because of humidity changes or temperature changes, but it is annoying. For example, about half the times I fly somewhere I find on my arrival that the pills stop working; I carry the pills in my pocket or in my carry-on while in the plane, but even so, they stop functioning. I am guessing it is the change in humidity, but who knows?"

Anonymous April 3, 2012

For Gout: "Been on it for a year with no side-effects. My uric acid is consistently in the 6-7 range and the debilitating attacks have ended. However, I still do get the occasional stiffness in the arch of my foot as well as an infrequent bout with pain (although much less in intensity). Without it, I was crippled and bed-ridden during my frequent attacks. With it, I live a normal life."

stickin' with it December 6, 2011