Alka-Seltzer Extra Strength Side Effects
Generic name: aspirin/citric acid/sodium bicarbonate
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 27, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about aspirin/citric acid/sodium bicarbonate. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Alka-Seltzer Extra Strength.
Applies to aspirin/citric acid/sodium bicarbonate: oral tablet, oral tablet effervescent.
Serious side effects
Along with its needed effects, aspirin/citric acid/sodium bicarbonate may cause some unwanted effects. Although the following side effects occur very rarely when 1 or 2 doses of this combination medicine is taken occasionally, they may be more likely to occur if: too much medicine is taken, the medicine is taken several times a day, or the medicine is taken for more than a few days in a row.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking aspirin/citric acid/sodium bicarbonate:
Signs of overdose in children
- Changes in behavior
- drowsiness or tiredness (severe)
- fast or deep breathing
- Any loss of hearing
- bloody urine
- convulsions (seizures)
- diarrhea (severe or continuing)
- difficulty in swallowing
- dizziness, lightheadedness, or feeling faint (severe)
- drowsiness (severe)
- excitement or nervousness (severe)
- fast or deep breathing
- flushing, redness, or other change in skin color
- hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there)
- nausea or vomiting (severe or continuing)
- shortness of breath, troubled breathing, tightness in chest, or wheezing
- stomach pain (severe or continuing)
- swelling of eyelids, face, or lips
- unexplained fever
- uncontrollable flapping movements of the hands (especially in elderly patients)
- vision problems
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking aspirin/citric acid/sodium bicarbonate:
Less common or rare
- Bloody or black, tarry stools
- frequent urge to urinate
- headache (severe or continuing)
- increased blood pressure
- loss of appetite (continuing)
- mood or mental changes
- muscle pain or twitching
- ringing or buzzing in ears (continuing)
- skin rash, hives, or itching
- slow breathing
- swelling of face, fingers, ankles, feet, or lower legs
- unpleasant taste
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- vomiting of blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
- weight gain (unusual)
Other side effects
Some side effects of aspirin/citric acid/sodium bicarbonate may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Heartburn or indigestion
- increased thirst
- nausea or vomiting
- stomach pain (mild)
More about Alka-Seltzer Extra Strength (aspirin/citric acid/sodium bicarbonate)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.