Alinia Side Effects
Generic Name: nitazoxanide
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on April 8, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about nitazoxanide. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Alinia.
For the Consumer
Applies to nitazoxanide: oral powder for suspension, oral tablet
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, nitazoxanide (the active ingredient contained in Alinia) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking nitazoxanide:
Incidence not known
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of nitazoxanide may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Incidence not known
- hives or welts, itching, or skin rash
- redness of the skin
- trouble breathing
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to nitazoxanide: oral powder for reconstitution, oral tablet
Common (1% to 10%): Abdominal pain, nausea
Common (1% to 10%): Headache
Frequency not reported: Somnolence, tremor, hypesthesia, syncope
Postmarketing reports: Dizziness[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Chromaturia
Frequency not reported: Pruritus, sweat
Frequency not reported: Epistaxis, rhinitis, lung disease, pharyngitis
Frequency not reported: Anorexia, increased appetite[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Kidney pain, increased creatinine[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Increased ALT[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Allergic reaction[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Eye discoloration (including pale yellow eye discoloration)[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Alinia (nitazoxanide)." Romark Laboratories L.C., Tampa, FL.
2. Melbourne: Therapeutic Guidelines Limited "eTG complete [Online] Available from: URL: http://online.tg.org.au/complete/desktop/tgc.htm." ([2014, Nov -]):
3. Stockis A, De Bruyn S, Gengler C, Rosillon D "Nitazoxanide pharmacokinetics and tolerability in man during 7 days dosing with 0.5 g and 1 g b.i.d." Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 40 (2002): 221-7
4. Fox LM, Saravolatz LD "Nitazoxanide: a new thiazolide antiparasitic agent." Clin Infect Dis 40 (2005): 1173-80
More about Alinia (nitazoxanide)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: amebicides
- FDA Approval History
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.