Generic Name: urea topical (YOO ree a TOP ik al)
Brand Name: Aluvea, Aqua Care, Aquaphilic with Urea, Atrac-Tain, Carb-O-Philic/10, Carmol, CEM-Urea, Cerovel, Dermasorb XM, Epimide 50, Gordons Urea, Gormel, Hydro 35, Kera Nail, Kera-42, Keralac, Kerol, Nutraplus, Remeven, Rinnovi Nail System, U-Kera, Umecta, Uramaxin, Urea Nail Gel, Ureacin-10, Utopic, X-Viate
What is Carb-O-Philic/10?
There are many brands and forms of Carb-O-Philic/10 available and not all brands are listed on this leaflet.
Carb-O-Philic/10 (for the skin) is used to soften rough or dry skin caused by skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, keratosis, and others. This medicine is also used to soften damaged fingernails or toenails so they can be removed without surgery.
Carb-O-Philic/10 may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
Before taking this medicine
You should not use Carb-O-Philic/10 if you are allergic to it.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether Carb-O-Philic/10 will harm an unborn baby. Do not use this medicine without a doctor's advice if you are pregnant.
It is not known whether Carb-O-Philic/10 passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medicine without a doctor's advice if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I use Carb-O-Philic/10?
Carb-O-Philic/10 is available in many different forms (cream, lotion, ointment, liquid, gel, foam, shampoo, and others) for use on the skin or the scalp. Use your medicine exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Do not take by mouth. Carb-O-Philic/10 is for use only on the skin. If this medication gets in your eyes, nose, mouth, rectum, or vagina, rinse with water.
Use a mild soap or cleanser to wash the skin or nail area to be treated. Carb-O-Philic/10 may work best if the skin or nail to be treated is left slightly damp before the medicine is applied.
Apply a thin layer of this medicine to the affected skin and rub it in as completely as possible.
When applying Carb-O-Philic/10 to the nails, avoid getting any medicine on the cuticles or surrounding skin. Apply generously to the nail and allow the medicine to dry. You may cover the nail with a bandage or gauze if your doctor advises. The treated nail should be easily removed after several days.
Shake the Carb-O-Philic/10 foam well just before each use. Other forms of this medicine may also need to be shaken before use. Follow all directions on th medicine label.
Wash your hands with soap and water after applying this medicine, unless you are treating the skin on your hands.
Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve, or if they get worse while using Carb-O-Philic/10.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Do not freeze. Keep the medicine container tightly closed when not in use.
Keep the foam canister away from open flame or high heat. The canister may explode if it gets too hot. Do not puncture or burn an empty foam canister.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Use the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while using Carb-O-Philic/10?
Do not use this medicine on open wounds, burns, or areas of swollen skin. If this medication gets in your eyes, nose, mouth, rectum, or vagina, rinse with water.
Carb-O-Philic/10 side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using Carb-O-Philic/10 and call your doctor at once if you have:
severe redness or irritation of treated skin.
Common side effects may include:
mild itching; or
mild burning or stinging.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect Carb-O-Philic/10?
It is not likely that other drugs you take orally or inject will have an effect on topically applied urea. But many drugs can interact with each other. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
More about Carb-O-Philic/10 (urea topical)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical emollients
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about Carb-O-Philic/10.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 1.02.
Date modified: February 01, 2018
Last reviewed: May 27, 2014