What is Tagrisso used for?
Medically reviewed by Judith Stewart, BPharm. Last updated on Dec 22, 2020.
Tagrisso (osimertinib) is a tyrosine kinase inhibitor used for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that has certain abnormal epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) genes as detected by an FDA-approved test.
Tagrisso is used:
- to help prevent lung cancer from returning after the tumor(s) has been removed by surgery in patients with EGFR exon 19 deletions or exon 21 L858R mutations.
- as a first-line treatment in patients with EGFR exon 19 deletions or exon 21 L858R mutations when the cancer has spread to other parts of the body (metastatic).
- in patients with the EGFR T790M mutation when the lung cancer has spread to other parts of the body (metastatic) and previous treatment with an EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) medicine that did not work, or is no longer working.
Tagrisso may harm a developing fetus and females of reproductive potential are advised to use effective contraception during treatment, and for six weeks after the final dose. Males with female partners of reproductive potential are advised to use effective contraception during treatment, and for four months after the final dose.
The most common side effects of Tagrisso include low white blood cell counts, low platelet counts, diarrhea, low red blood cell counts (anemia), rash, muscle pain, bone pain, joint pain, changes in the nails (redness, tenderness, pain, inflammation, brittleness, separation from nailbed, and shedding of nail), dry skin, mouth sores, tiredness, and cough.
Related Medical Questions
- What is the difference between Opdivo and Keytruda?
- What is Paxil called in the USA?
- Pembrolizumab vs. nivolumab: how do they compare?
- What is the cost of Tecentriq?
- What is the difference between Mvasi and Avastin?
- How long do you take Alecensa for?
- How effective is Alecensa for ALK-positive NSCLC?
- How does Alecensa work?
- What type of cancer is Tecentriq used to treat?
- What type of drug is Libtayo?
- What type of lung cancer is Vizimpro used to treat?
- What type of drug is Lorbrena?
- What is Alecensa used to treat?
- What type of drug is Alunbrig?