Can Ingrezza capsules be opened?
- Ask your doctor before you open the Ingrezza capsule and take it any other way than swallowing it whole.
- Do not open, cut, crush or split the capsule without your doctor’s advice.
- Contact your doctor right away if you are having trouble swallowing your capsule.
Neurocrine Biosciences, the manufacturer of Ingrezza (valbenazine), does not have specific studies on whether the capsule can be opened and sprinkled on food or taken any other way than swallowing it whole. They state it is up to the professional judgement of your health care provider.
Ingrezza is not an extended-release formulation. It contains a blend of valbenazine tosylate and certain inactive ingredients in a hard gelatin capsule shell, as reported by the drug maker.
What is Ingrezza used for?
- Ingrezza (valbenazine) is a prescription medicine used to treat adults with movements in the face, tongue, or other body parts that cannot be controlled (tardive dyskinesia).
- It works by blocking certain chemicals in your body that may be involved with involuntary muscle movement.
Ingrezza is swallowed by mouth once a day in capsule form, with or without food. It is available as a 40 mg, 60 mg and 80 mg capsules. Your doctor will determine your specific dose. Do not stop taking your medicine without speaking with your healthcare provider first.
This is not all the information you need to know about Ingrezza (valbenazine) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Ingrezza information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Ingrezza [package insert]. San Diego, CA: Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc. Accessed Sept. 10, 2021 at https://www.neurocrine.com/assets/INGREZZA-full-Prescribing-Information.pdf
- Data on file. Neurocrine Biosciences, Inc. Accessed Sept. 10, 2021.
Related medical questions
- How much does Ingrezza cost?
- Ingrezza mechanism of action: How does it work?
- What condition is Ingrezza used to treat?
- Austedo vs Ingrezza: How do they compare?
- Which pharmacies can dispense Ingrezza?
- How long does it take for Ingrezza to work?
- Does Ingrezza cause weight gain?
- How effective is Ingrezza?
- What drugs cause tardive dyskinesia?
- Why should you not discontinue amantadine?
- What symptoms does amantadine treat?