How do you use Tymlos?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on Feb 24, 2021.
Tymlos is injected under the skin (subcutaneously) once a day into the lower stomach area. It should not be injected within the 2-inch area around a person's belly button (navel).
Tymlos should be injected around the same time each day, and the injection site rotated so that it is not injected into the same area on consecutive days. Administration for a total time during a person's lifetime of more than two years is not recommended.
Tymlos may be administered by a healthcare professional or people can be taught how to self-inject using the Tymlos pen.
You should also take a calcium and vitamin D supplement if your dietary intake is inadequate. It is not recommended that people use Tymlos for more than two years during their lifetime.
Tymlos (abaloparatide) is a prescription medicine used for the treatment of postmenopausal women with osteoporosis at high risk for bone fracture.
How do you use the Tymlos pen?
- Each Tymlos pen contains thirty 80mcg doses of Tymlos. You do not need to measure the dose.
- Use a new pen needle for each injection.
- Do not use your Tymlos pen if it looks damaged or is expired.
- Wash your hands.
- Pull off the pen cap from your Tymlos pen.
- Visually inspect the Tymlos cartridge. Do not use if the liquid is cloudy or colored or has particles in it.
- If it is the first time using the pen you will need to prime it. You will only need to do this once for each new pen.
- Turn the dose knob on your Tymlos pen away from you (clockwise) until it stops. You will see “ • 80 ” lined up in the dose display window.
- Hold the Tymlos pen with the pen needle pointing up. Tap lightly with your finger on the cartridge holder to move any air bubbles in the cartridge to the top of the cartridge. Press the green injection button until it will not go any further. You should see liquid come out of the needle tip and “•0” lined up in the dose display window. This has primed the pen.
- To inject a dose turn the dose knob on your pen away from you (clockwise) until the dose knob stops and “•80” is lined up in the dose display window.
- Choose and clean your injection site. Injections should be given in the lower stomach area but avoiding the 2-inch area around your belly button.
- Wipe the injection site with an alcohol swab and allow it to dry. Do not touch, fan, or blow on the injection site after you have cleaned it.
- Hold the pen so you can see the dose display window during the injection. Insert the pen needle straight into your skin.
- Press the green injection button until it cannot go any further and “•0” is in the dose display window. Do not move the Tymlos pen after inserting the needle. Continue to press the green injection button while counting to 10. Counting to 10 will allow the full dose of Tymlos to be given.
- After counting to 10, release your finger from the green injection button and slowly remove the Tymlos pen from the injection site by pulling the pen needle straight out.
- Carefully place the outer needle cap back on the pen needle.
Related Medical Questions
- Xgeva vs Prolia. How do they compare?
- What are the side effects of Vitamin D?
- What medications are available to treat osteoporosis?
- What's the difference between osteoporosis, osteopenia and osteoarthritis?
- What is the connection between the endocrine system and osteoporosis?
- How can I prevent osteoporosis?
- What are the ICD-10 codes for osteoporosis?
- How does resistance training prevent osteoporosis?
- What is the best diet or foods to help with osteoporosis?
- Are there any natural treatments for osteoporosis?
- Is osteoporosis hereditary?
- Osteoporosis FAQs: Your Top Questions Answered
- What causes osteoporosis?
- What exercises are good for osteoporosis?
- What are the risk factors for osteoporosis?
- Tymlos Information for Consumers
- Tymlos Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Tymlos (detailed)