Can you take Lasix for weight loss?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Apr 18, 2019.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
Lasix is not indicated for weight loss.
Lasix is a loop diuretic (water pill) that prevents your body from absorbing too much salt, allowing the salt to instead be passed in your urine.
Lasix treats fluid retention (edema) in people with congestive heart failure, liver disease, or a kidney disorder such as nephrotic syndrome. This medication is also used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension).
People who have fluid retention problems may lose a bit of weight while they are on Lasix but it shouldn't be used for losing weight.
Related Medical Questions
- How long after taking Lasix pill would you expect to urinate?
- Are losartan and losartan potassium the same drug or two different ones?
- Lasix Information for Consumers
- Lasix Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Lasix (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Lasix (46 questions, 67 members)