Seldane-D (pseudoephedrine / terfenadine) and Alcohol / Food Interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food/lifestyle interaction with Seldane-D (pseudoephedrine / terfenadine):
terfenadine ↔ food
Major Food Interaction
Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.
CONTRAINDICATED: The consumption of grapefruit juice has been associated with significantly increased plasma concentrations of terfenadine. The mechanism is inhibition of CYP450 3A4-mediated first-pass metabolism in the gut wall induced by certain compounds present in grapefruits. Terfenadine in high serum levels has been associated with prolongation of the QT interval and development of torsade de pointes, a potentially fatal ventricular arrhythmia.
MANAGEMENT: Due to the risk of cardiotoxicity, patients receiving the drug should be advised to avoid consumption of grapefruit products. Loratadine, cetirizine, and fexofenadine may be safer alternatives in patients who may have trouble adhering to the dietary restriction.
- Pohjola-Sintonen S, Viitasalo M, Toivonene L, Neuvonen P "Torsades de pointes after terfenadine-itraconazole interaction." BMJ 306 (1993): 186
- Bailey DG, Malcolm J, Arnold O, Spence JD "Grapefruit juice-drug interactions." Br J Clin Pharmacol 46 (1998): 101-10
- Zimmermann M, Duruz H, Guinand O, et al "Torsades de Pointes after treatment with terfenadine and ketoconazole." Eur Heart J 13 (1992): 1002-3
- Honig PK, Wortham DC, Zamani K, et al "Terfenadine-ketoconazole interaction: pharmacokinetic and electrocardiographic consequences." JAMA 269 (1993): 1513-8
- Honig PK, Wortham DC, Lazarev A, Cantilena LR "Grapefruit juice alters the systemic bioavailability and cardiac repolarization of terfenadine in poor metabolizers of terfenadine." J Clin Pharmacol 36 (1996): 345-51
- Bailey DG, Dresser GR, Kreeft JH, Munoz C, Freeman DJ, Bend JR "Grapefruit-felodipine interaction: Effect of unprocessed fruit and probable active ingredients." Clin Pharmacol Ther 68 (2000): 468-77
- Benton RE, Honig PK, Zamani K, Cantilena LR, Woosley RL "Grapefruit juice alters terfenadine pharmacokinetics resulting in prolongation of repolarization on the electrocardiogram." Clin Pharmacol Ther 59 (1996): 383-8
- Mathews DR, McNutt B, Okerholm R, et al "Torsades de pointes occurring in association with terfenadine use." JAMA 266 (1991): 2375-6
- Hsieh MH, Chen SA, Chiang CE, et al. "Drug-induced torsades de pointes in one patient with congenital long QT syndrome." Int J Cardiol 54 (1996): 85-8
- Woosley RL "Cardiac actions of antihistamines." Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 36 (1996): 233-52
- Clifford CP, Adams DA, Murray S, Taylor GW, Wilkins MR, Boobis AR, Davies DS "Pharmacokinetic and cardiac effects of terfenadine after inhibition of its metabolism by grapefruit juice." Br J Clin Pharmacol 42 (1996): p662
- Rau SE, Bend JR, Arnold JMO, Tran LT, Spence JD, Bailey DG "Grapefruit juice terfenadine single-dose interaction: Magnitude, mechanism, and relevance." Clin Pharmacol Ther 61 (1997): 401-9
- Honig PK, Woosley RL, Zamani K, Conner DP, Cantilena LR Jr "Changes in the pharmacokinetics and electrocardiographic pharmacodynamics of terfenadine with concomitant administration of erythromycin." Clin Pharmacol Ther 52 (1992): 231-8
- Paris DG, Parente TF, Bruschetta HR, Guzman E, Niarchos AP "Torsades-de-pointes induced by erythromycin and terfenadine." Am J Emerg Med 12 (1994): 636-8
- Monahan BP, Ferguson CL, Killeavy ES, et al "Torsades de pointes occurring in association with terfenadine use." JAMA 264 (1990): 2788-90
- Zechnich AD, Haxby DG "Drug interactions associated with terfenadine and related nonsedating antihistamines." West J Med 164 (1996): 68-9
- Cortese LM, Bjornson DC "Potential interaction between terfenadine and macrolide antibiotics." Clin Pharm 11 (1992): 675
Seldane-D (pseudoephedrine / terfenadine) drug Interactions
There are 610 drug interactions with Seldane-D (pseudoephedrine / terfenadine)
Seldane-D (pseudoephedrine / terfenadine) disease Interactions
There are 6 disease interactions with Seldane-D (pseudoephedrine / terfenadine) which include:
Drug Interaction Classification
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.