Eryzole (erythromycin / sulfisoxazole) and Alcohol/Food Interactions
There are 2 alcohol/food/lifestyle interactions with Eryzole (erythromycin / sulfisoxazole) which include:
erythromycin Alcohol (Ethanol)
Minor Drug Interaction
Information for this minor interaction is available on the professional version.
Moderate Food Interaction
Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.
ADJUST DOSING INTERVAL: Food may variably affect the bioavailability of different oral formulations and salt forms of erythromycin. The individual product package labeling should be consulted regarding the appropriate time of administration in relation to food ingestion. Grapefruit juice may increase the plasma concentrations of orally administered erythromycin. The proposed mechanism is inhibition of CYP450 3A4-mediated first-pass metabolism in the gut wall by certain compounds present in grapefruits. In an open-label, crossover study consisting of six healthy subjects, the coadministration with double-strength grapefruit juice increased the mean peak plasma concentration (Cmax) and area under the concentration-time curve (AUC) of a single dose of erythromycin (400 mg) by 52% and 49%, respectively, compared to water. The half-life was not affected. The clinical significance of this potential interaction is unknown.
MANAGEMENT: In general, optimal serum levels are achieved when erythromycin is taken in the fasting state, one-half to two hours before meals. However, some erythromycin products may be taken without regard to meals.
- Welling PG, Huang H, Hewitt PF, Lyons LL "Bioavailability of erythromycin stearate: influence of food and fluid volume." J Pharm Sci 67 (1978): 764-6
- Welling PG "Influence of food and diet on gastrointestinal drug absorption: a review." J Pharmacokinet Biopharm 5 (1977): 291-334
- Randinitis EJ, Sedman AJ, Welling PG, Kinkel AW "Effect of a high-fat meal on the bioavailability of a polymer-coated erythromycin particle tablet formulation." J Clin Pharmacol 29 (1989): 79-84
- Coyne TC, Shum S, Chun AH, Jeansonne L, Shirkey HC "Bioavailability of erythromycin ethylsuccinate in pediatric patients." J Clin Pharmacol 18 (1978): 194-202
- Malmborg AS "Effect of food on absorption of erythromycin. A study of two derivatives, the stearate and the base." J Antimicrob Chemother 5 (1979): 591-9
- Welling PG, Elliott RL, Pitterle ME, et al "Plasma levels following single and repeated doses of erythromycin estolate and erythromycin stearate." J Pharm Sci 68 (1979): 150-5
- Kanazawa S, Ohkubo T, Sugawara K "The effects of grapefruit juice on the pharmacokinetics of erythromycin." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 56 (2001): 799-803
Eryzole (erythromycin / sulfisoxazole) drug interactions
There are 635 drug interactions with Eryzole (erythromycin / sulfisoxazole)
Eryzole (erythromycin / sulfisoxazole) disease interactions
There are 13 disease interactions with Eryzole (erythromycin / sulfisoxazole) which include:
- liver disease
- QT prolongation
- hematologic toxicity
- hypersensitivity reactions
- liver disease
- renal dysfunction
- myasthenia gravis
- urinary obstruction
More about Eryzole (erythromycin / sulfisoxazole)
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|No interaction information available.|