Diethylstilbestrol and Alcohol / Food Interactions
There are 2 alcohol/food/lifestyle interactions with diethylstilbestrol which include:
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Severe Potential Hazard, High plausibility
estrogens - hypertension
The risk of myocardial infarction and strokes, including those associated with oral contraceptive use and some estrogen use, is increased in patients with hypertension. Moreover, estrogens (and also progestogens) may elevate blood pressure and worsen the hypertension, thus compounding the risk. Clinically significant blood pressure increases have been reported during estrogen therapy, particularly in patients receiving high dosages or treated with oral contraceptive combinations having high progestational activity. These effects also increase with duration of therapy and patient age. Therapy with estrogens should be administered cautiously in patients with preexisting hypertension. Patients should be monitored for changes in cardiovascular status, and their antihypertensive regimen adjusted or estrogen therapy withdrawn as necessary. In patients requiring contraception, alternative methods should be considered for those who are hypertensive, over age 35, and smoke.
- "Product Information. Climara (estradiol)." Berlex, Richmond, CA.
- "Product Information. Ogen (estropipate topical)" Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
- Crane MG, Harris JJ, Winsor W 3d "Hypertension, oral contraceptive agents, and conjugated estrogens." Ann Intern Med 74 (1971): 13-21
High Cholesterol (Hyperlipoproteinemia, Hypertriglyceridemia, Sitosterolemia)
Moderate Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility
estrogens - hyperlipidemia
Although estrogens have generally favorable effects on plasma lipids, including increases in HDL and decreases in total cholesterol and LDL, they have also been associated with significant elevations in triglyceride levels, particularly when high dosages are used. Severe hyperlipidemia is known to sometimes cause pancreatitis. Patients with preexisting hyperlipidemia may require closer monitoring during estrogen therapy, and adjustments made accordingly in their lipid-lowering regimen.
- Hulley S, Grady D, Bush T, Furberg C, Herrington D, Riggs B, Vittinghoff E "Randomized trial of estrogen plus progestin for secondary prevention of coronary heart disease in postmenopausal women." JAMA 280 (1998): 605-13
- "Product Information. Estrace (estradiol)." Bristol-Myers Squibb, Princeton, NJ.
- "Product Information. Ortho-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol-norgestimate)." Ortho Pharmaceutical Corporation, Raritan, NJ.
diethylstilbestrol drug Interactions
There are 155 drug interactions with diethylstilbestrol
diethylstilbestrol disease Interactions
There are 17 disease interactions with diethylstilbestrol which include:
- Abnormal Vaginal Bleeding
- Carcinomas (Estrogenic)
- Hypercalcemia In Breast Cancer
- Hepatic Neoplasms
- Gallbladder Disease
- Liver Disease
- Fluid Retention
- Glucose Intolerance
- Retinal Thrombosis
- Thyroid Function Tests
Drug Interaction Classification
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.