Unasyn (ampicillin / sulbactam) and Alcohol/Food Interactions
There are 2 alcohol/food/lifestyle interactions with Unasyn (ampicillin / sulbactam) which include:
Moderate Food Interaction
Consumer information for this interaction is not currently available.
ADJUST DOSING INTERVAL: Certain penicillins may exhibit reduced gastrointestinal absorption in the presence of food. The therapeutic effect of the antimicrobial may be reduced.
MANAGEMENT: The interacting penicillin should be administered one hour before or two hours after meals. Penicillin V and amoxicillin are not affected by food and may be given without regard to meals.
- McCarthy CG, Finland M "Absorption and excretion of four penicillins." N Engl J Med 263 (1960): 315-26
- Neu HC "Antimicrobial activity and human pharmacology of amoxicillin." J Infect Dis 129 (1974): s123-31
- Klein JO, Sabath LD, Finland M "Laboratory studies on oxacillin. I: in vitro activity against staphylococci and some other bacterial pathogens. II: absorption and urinary excretion in normal young." Am J Med Sci 245 (1963): 399-411
- Cronk GA, Wheatley WB, Fellers GF, Albright H "The relationship of food intake to the absorption of potassium alpha-phenoxyethyl penicillin and potassium phenoxymethyl penicillin from the gastrointestinal tract." Am J Med Sci 240 (1960): 219-25
- Neuvonen PJ, Elonen E, Pentikainen PJ "Comparative effect of food on absorption of ampicillin and pivampicillin." J Int Med Res 5 (1977): 71-6
- Welling PG, Huang H, Koch PA, Madsen PO "Bioavailability of ampicillin and amoxicillin in fasted and nonfasted subjects." J Pharm Sci 66 (1977): 549-52
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility
ampicillin - sodium
Parenteral ampicillin sodium contains approximately 67 to 71 mg (2.9 to 3.1 mEq) of sodium per each gram of ampicillin activity. The combination, ampicillin-sulbactam, contains approximately 115 mg (5 mEq) of sodium per 1.5 gram of total drug. The sodium content should be considered when these products are used in patients with conditions that may require sodium restriction, such as congestive heart failure, hypertension, and fluid retention.
- "Product Information. Unasyn (ampicillin-sulbactam)." Roerig Division, New York, NY.
- "Product Information. Omnipen (ampicillin)." Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, Philadelphia, PA.
Unasyn (ampicillin / sulbactam) drug interactions
There are 50 drug interactions with Unasyn (ampicillin / sulbactam)
Unasyn (ampicillin / sulbactam) disease interactions
There are 5 disease interactions with Unasyn (ampicillin / sulbactam) which include:
More about Unasyn (ampicillin / sulbactam)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: beta-lactamase inhibitors
Related treatment guides
Drug Interaction Classification
|No interaction information available.|