Humulin N Dosage
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 1, 2021.
Important Administration Instructions
Inspect HUMULIN N visually before use. It should not contain particulate matter and should appear uniformly cloudy after mixing. Do not use HUMULIN N if particulate matter is seen.
Route of Administration
HUMULIN N should only be administered subcutaneously.
Administer in the subcutaneous tissue of the abdominal wall, thigh, upper arm, or buttocks. To reduce the risk of lipodystrophy, rotate the injection site within the same region from one injection to the next [see Adverse Reactions (6)].
Do not administer HUMULIN N intravenously or intramuscularly and do not use HUMULIN N in an insulin infusion pump.
Individualize and adjust the dosage of HUMULIN N based on the individual's metabolic needs, blood glucose monitoring results and glycemic control goal.
Dosage adjustments may be needed with changes in physical activity, changes in meal patterns (i.e., macronutrient content or timing of food intake), changes in renal or hepatic function or during acute illness [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2, 5.3), and Use in Specific Populations (8.6, 8.7)].
Dosage Adjustment due to Drug Interactions
Dosage adjustment may be needed when HUMULIN N is coadministered with certain drugs [see Drug Interactions (7)].
Dosage adjustment may be needed when switching from another insulin to HUMULIN N [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2)].
Instructions for Mixing with Other Insulins
HUMULIN N may be used with a prandial insulin if indicated. HUMULIN N may be mixed with HUMULIN R or HUMALOG before injection.
- If HUMULIN N is mixed with HUMULIN R, HUMULIN R should be drawn into the syringe first. Injection should occur immediately after mixing.
- If HUMULIN N is mixed with HUMALOG, HUMALOG should be drawn into the syringe first. Injection should occur immediately after mixing.
Frequently asked questions
- Are Humulin and Humalog the same thing?
- Is Novolin the same as Humulin?
- Humulin N vs Humulin R - What's the difference?
- Is NPH a long acting insulin?
- What kind of insulin is NPH?
- Can Trulicity be used with insulin?
- How and where should I inject insulin?
- How long can Humulin be unrefrigerated?
- How long does Humulin last?
- Is Humulin fast or long-acting insulin?
More about Humulin N (insulin isophane)
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- During pregnancy
- Reviews (3)
- Drug images
- Pricing & coupons
- En español
- Drug class: insulin
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.