GaviLyte N Dosage
Generic name: POLYETHYLENE GLYCOL 3350 420g in 438.4g, SODIUM CHLORIDE 11.2g in 438.4g, SODIUM BICARBONATE 5.72g in 438.4g, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE 1.48g in 438.4g
Dosage form: powder, for oral solution
Medically reviewed on November 1, 2017.
GaviLyte-N, supplied as a powder, must be reconstituted with water before its use; it is not for direct ingestion [see Dosage and Administration (2.2), Warnings and Precautions (5.8)]. The 4 liter reconstituted GaviLyte-N solution contains: 420 grams of polyethylene glycol (PEG) 3350, 5.72 grams of sodium bicarbonate, 11.2 grams of sodium chloride, and 1.4 grams of potassium chloride. GaviLyte-N may be used with or without one of the supplied flavor packs.
Administration Instructions Prior to Dosage
- Take only clear liquids, but avoid red and purple liquids. Patients may consume a light breakfast.
- If adding a GaviLyte-N flavor pack, pour the contents of the 2 gram flavor powder (i.e., cherry, lemon, or orange) into the container prior to reconstitution. No additional flavorings should be added. Discard unused flavor packs. The GaviLyte-N flavor packs are for use only in combination with the contents of the accompanying 4 liter container.
- Early in the evening prior to colonoscopy, fill the supplied container containing the GaviLyte-N powder (and if applicable, a flavor powder) with lukewarm water (to facilitate dissolution) to the 4 liter fill line. The solution is clear and colorless when reconstituted to a final volume of 4 liters.
- After capping the container, shake vigorously several times to ensure that the ingredients are dissolved. When reconstituted use within 48 hours.
The following is the recommended dose of reconstituted GaviLyte- solution for adults and pediatric patients ≥ 6 months. Instruct patients they may consume water or clear liquids during the bowel preparation and after completion of the bowel preparation up until 2 hours before the time of the colonoscopy. The solution is more palatable if chilled prior to administration.
- Adults: Instruct patients to drink a total of up to 4 liters at a rate of 240 mL (8 oz.) every 10 minutes, until 4 liters are consumed or the rectal effluent is clear. Rapid drinking of each portion is preferred to drinking small amounts continuously. For NGT, rate is 20 -30 mL per minute (1.2 – 1.8 liters per hour).
- Pediatric Patients ≥ 6 Months: Pediatric patients should drink 25 mL/kg/hour until the stool is watery, clear, and free of solid matter. If pediatric patients are unable to drink the reconstituted GaviLyte-N, the solution may be given by nasogastric (NGT). NGT administration is at the rate of 25 mL/kg/hour.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about GaviLyte-N (polyethylene glycol 3350 with electrolytes)
- GaviLyte-N Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 7 Reviews
- Drug class: laxatives