Generic name: METFORMIN HYDROCHLORIDE 500mg
Dosage form: tablet, film coated, extended
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 30, 2018.
Adult Dosage and Administration
- Swallow FORTAMET whole and never crush, cut or chew.
- The recommended starting dose of FORTAMET is 500 mg orally once daily with the evening meal.
- Increase the dose in increments of 500 mg weekly on the basis of glycemic control and tolerability, up to a maximum of 2,000 mg once daily with the evening meal.
- If glycemic control is not achieved with FORTAMET 2,000 mg once daily, consider a trial of FORTAMET 1,000 mg twice daily.
- Patients receiving metformin hydrochloride (HCl) may be switched to FORTAMET once daily at the same total daily dose, up to 2,000 mg once daily.
Recommendations for Use in Renal Impairment
- Assess renal function prior to initiation of FORTAMET and periodically thereafter.
- FORTAMET is contraindicated in patients with an estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) below 30 mL/minute/1.73 m2.
- Initiation of FORTAMET in patients with an eGFR between 30 to 45 mL/minute/1.73 m2 is not recommended.
- In patients taking FORTAMET whose eGFR later falls below 45 mL/min/1.73 m2, assess the benefit risk of continuing therapy.
- Discontinue FORTAMET if the patient’s eGFR later falls below 30 mL/minute/1.73 m2 [see Contraindications (4) and Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
2.3 Discontinuation for Iodinated Contrast Imaging Procedures
Discontinue FORTAMET at the time of, or prior to, an iodinated contrast imaging procedure in patients with an eGFR between 30 and 60 mL/min/1.73 m2; in patients with a history of liver disease, alcoholism, or heart failure; or in patients who will be administered intra-arterial iodinated contrast. Re-evaluate eGFR 48 hours after the imaging procedure; restart FORTAMET if renal function is stable.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
- How long does glucophage/Metformin stay in your system?
- What are the ingredient drugs contained in Qternmet XR?
More about Fortamet (metformin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: non-sulfonylureas
- FDA Alerts (1)