Femcon Fe Dosage
Generic name: NORETHINDRONE 0.4mg, ETHINYL ESTRADIOL 0.035mg;
Dosage form: tablets
Drug classes: Contraceptives, Sex hormone combinations
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 22, 2022.
2.1 How to Start FEMCON Fe
FEMCON Fe is dispensed in a blister card [see How Supplied/Storage and Handling (16)]. FEMCON Fe may be started using either a Day 1 start or a Sunday start (see Table 1). For the first cycle of a Sunday Start regimen, an additional method of contraception should be used until after the first 7 consecutive days of administration.
2.2 How to Take FEMCON Fe
FEMCON Fe (white active tablets and brown placebo tablets) may be swallowed whole or chewed and swallowed. If the tablet is chewed, the patient should drink a full glass (8 ounces) of liquid immediately after swallowing.
|Starting CHCs in women not currently using hormonal contraception (Day 1 Start or Sunday Start)
Consider the possibility of ovulation and conception prior to initiation of this product.
|Day 1 Start:
|Switching to FEMCON Fe from another hormonal contraceptive||Start on the same day that a new pack of the previous hormonal contraceptive would have started.|
|Switching from another contraceptive method to FEMCON Fe||Start FEMCON Fe:|
|Complete instructions to facilitate patient counseling on proper tablet usage are located in the FDA-Approved Patient Labeling.|
Starting FEMCON Fe after Abortion or Miscarriage
- After a first-trimester abortion or miscarriage, FEMCON Fe may be started immediately. An additional method of contraception is not needed if FEMCON Fe is started within 5 days after termination of the pregnancy.
- If FEMCON Fe is not started within 5 days after termination of the pregnancy, the patient should use additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms and spermicide) for the first seven days of her first cycle pack of FEMCON Fe.
- Do not start until 4 weeks after a second-trimester abortion or miscarriage, due to the increased risk of thromboembolic disease. Start FEMCON Fe, following the instructions in Table 1 for Day 1 or Sunday start, as desired. If using Sunday start, use additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms and spermicide) for the first seven days of the patient’s first cycle pack of FEMCON Fe. [See Contraindications (4), Warnings and Precautions (5.1), and FDA-Approved Patient Labeling.]
Starting FEMCON Fe after Childbirth
- Do not start until 4 weeks after delivery, due to the increased risk of thromboembolic disease. Start contraceptive therapy with FEMCON Fe following the instructions in Table 1 for women not currently using hormonal contraception.
- If the woman has not yet had a period postpartum, consider the possibility of ovulation and conception occurring prior to use of FEMCON Fe. [See Contraindications (4), Warnings and Precautions (5.1), Use in Specific Populations (8.1 and 8.3), and FDA-Approved Patient Labeling].
2.3 Missed Tablets
||Take the tablet as soon as possible. Continue taking one tablet a day until the pack is finished.|
||Take the two missed tablets as soon as possible and the next two active tablets the next day. Continue taking one tablet a day until the pack is finished. Additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms and spermicide) should be used as back-up if the patient has sex within 7 days after missing tablets.|
||Day 1 start: Throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack that same day.
Sunday start: Continue taking one tablet a day until Sunday, then throw out the rest of the pack and start a new pack that same day.
Additional non-hormonal contraception (such as condoms and spermicide) should be used as back-up if the patient has sex within 7 days after missing tablets.
2.4 Advice in Case of Gastrointestinal Disturbances
In case of severe vomiting or diarrhea, absorption may not be complete and additional contraceptive measures should be taken. If vomiting or diarrhea occurs within 3 to 4 hours after taking an active tablet, handle this as a missed tablet [see FDA-Approved Patient Labeling].
More about Femcon Fe (ethinyl estradiol / norethindrone)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Reviews (13)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: contraceptives
- En español
Lo Loestrin Fe, Junel Fe 1/20, Loestrin 21 1/20, Blisovi Fe 1/20, ... +41 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.