Alkindi Sprinkle Dosage
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 15, 2021.
Generic name: Hydrocortisone 0.5mg
Dosage form: oral granules
- Individualize the dose for each patient, using the lowest possible dosage.
- The recommended starting replacement dosage is 8 to 10 mg/m2/day daily. Higher doses may be needed based on patient’s age and symptoms of the disease. Use of lower starting doses may be sufficient in patients with residual but decreased endogenous cortisol production.
- Round the dose to the nearest 0.5 mg or 1 mg. The contents of more than one capsule may be needed to supply the required dose.
- Divide the total daily dose in 3 doses and administer 3 times daily. Older pediatric patients may have their daily dose divided by 2 and administered twice daily.
- Monitor patients for symptoms of under and/or overtreatment including signs and symptoms of adrenocortical insufficiency, linear growth and weight gain. Adjust doses accordingly.
- During episodes of acute febrile illness, gastroenteritis, surgery or major trauma, patients may need increased doses [see Warnings and Precautions (5.1)].
- When switching patients from conventional oral hydrocortisone replacement therapy to ALKINDI SPRINKLE, use the same total daily dose. ALKINDI SPRINKLE is therapeutically equivalent to conventional oral hydrocortisone tablet formulations, however, the potential dosing inaccuracy of manipulated oral hydrocortisone preparations (e.g., split or crushed tablets or compounded suspension) could lead to a difference in exposure on the same nominal dose. This could lead to unintended clinical consequences [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2)].
- ALKINDI SPRINKLE are oral granules contained within capsules.
- Do not swallow the capsules. Do not chew or crush the granules.
- Do not use ALKINDI SPRINKLE granules in nasogastric or gastric tubes as they may cause tube blockage.
- Open the capsule and administer the granules as follows:
- Hold the capsule so that the printed strength is at the top and tap to ensure all the granules are in the lower half of the capsule.
- Squeeze the bottom of the capsule gently and twist off the top of the capsule.
- The granules may be administered by pouring the granules directly onto the patient’s tongue, pouring the granules onto a spoon and placing in the patient’s mouth, or sprinkling onto a spoonful of cold or room temperature soft food (such as yogurt or fruit puree). The granules should be given and swallowed within 5 minutes to avoid a bitter taste as the outer taste masking cover can dissolve.
- Tap the capsule to ensure all the granules are removed. Avoid wetting the capsule on the tongue or soft food as this may result in granules remaining in the capsule.
- Immediately follow administration with ingestion of fluids such as water, milk, breast-milk or formula to ensure all granules are swallowed.
- Do not add the granules to liquid as this can result in reductions in the dose administered and may result in a bitter taste.
Frequently asked questions
- Is this drug the same as hydrocortisone?
- What is the difference between hydrocortisone and cortisone?
- How long does it take for neomycin, polymyxin b and hydrocortisone ear drops to work?
More about Alkindi Sprinkle (hydrocortisone)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Imprints, Shape & Color Data
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- Drug class: glucocorticoids
- FDA Approval History
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.