Sulfamethizole Disease Interactions
There is 1 disease interaction with sulfamethizole:
Sulfonamides (Includes Sulfamethizole) ↔ Hematologic Toxicity
Severe Potential Hazard, Moderate plausibility
Applies to: G-6-PD Deficiency
The use of sulfonamides has been associated with hematologic toxicity, including methemoglobinemia, sulfhemoglobinemia, leukopenia, granulocytopenia, eosinophilia, hemolytic anemia, aplastic anemia, purpura, clotting disorder, thrombocytopenia, hypofibrinogenemia, and hypoprothrombinemia. Acute dose-related hemolytic anemia may occur during the first week of therapy due to sensitization, while chronic hemolytic anemia may occur with prolonged use. Patients with glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) deficiency should be observed closely for signs of hemolytic anemia. Therapy with sulfonamides should be administered cautiously in patients with preexisting blood dyscrasias or bone marrow suppression. Complete blood counts should be obtained regularly, especially during prolonged therapy (>2 weeks), and patients should be instructed to immediately report any signs or symptoms suggestive of blood dyscrasia such as fever, sore throat, local infection, bleeding, pallor, dizziness, or jaundice.
- "Product Information. Gantrisin (sulfisoxazole)." Roche Laboratories, Nutley, NJ.
- Mitrane MP, Singh A, Seibold JR "Cholestasis and fatal agranulocytosis complicating sulfasalazine therapy: case report and review of the literature." J Rheumatol 13 (1986): 969-72
- Kuipers EJ, Vellenga E, de Wolf JT, Hazenberg BP "Sulfasalazine induced agranulocytosis treated with GM-CSF." J Rheumatol 19 (1992): 621-2
- Bates CM "HIV medicine: drug side effects and interactions." Postgrad Med J 72 (1996): 30-6
- Peppercorn MA "Sulfasalazine. Pharmacology, clinical use, toxicity, and related new drug development." Ann Intern Med 101 (1984): 377-86
- Betkowski AS, Lubin A "Sulfamethoxazole-related antiplatelet antibody." Blood 82 (1993): 1683
- Wheelan KR, Cooper B, Stone MJ "Multiple haematologic abnormalities associated with sulfasalazine." Ann Intern Med 97 (1982): 726-7
- Mechanick JI "Coombs' positive hemolytic anemia following sulfasalazine therapy in ulcerative colitis: case reports, review, and discussion of pathogenesis." Mt Sinai J Med 52 (1985): 667-70
- Keisu M, Ekman E "Sulfasalazine associated agranulocytosis in sweden 1972-1989: clinical features, and estimation of its incidence." Eur J Clin Pharmacol 43 (1992): 215-8
- Finland M, Strauss E, Peterson O "Sulfadiazine." JAMA 251 (1984): 1467-74
- Youssef PP, Bertouch JV "Sulphasalazine induced aplastic anaemia." Aust N Z J Med 22 (1992): 391-2
- Barak S, Shaked Y, Bar A, Samra Y "Drug-induced post-surgical hemorrhage resulting from trimethoprim-sulphamethoxazole." Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 18 (1989): 206-7
- Guillemin F, Aussedat R, Guerci A, Lederlin P, Trechot P, Pourel J "Fatal agranulocytosis in sulfasalazine treated rheumatoid arthritis." J Rheumatol 16 (1989): 1166-7
- Damergis J, Stoker J, Abadie J "Methemoglobinemia after sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim therapy." JAMA 249 (1983): 590-1
- Pena JM, Gonzalez-Garcia JJ, Garcia-Alegria J, Barbado FJ, Vazquez JJ "Thrombocytopenia and sulfasalazine." Ann Intern Med 102 (1985): 277-8
- "Product Information. Sulfadiazine (sulfadiazine)." Eon Labs Manufacturing Inc, Laurelton, NY.
- "Product Information. Gantranol (sulfamethoxazole)." Roche Laboratories, Nutley, NJ.
- Davies GE, Palek J "Selective erythroid and magakaryocytic aplasia after sulfasalazine administration." Arch Intern Med 140 (1980): 1122
- Gales BJ, Gales MA "Granulocyte-colony stimulating factor for sulfasalazine-induced agranulocytosis." Ann Pharmacother 27 (1993): 1052-4
- Hopkinson ND, Garcia FS, Gumpel JM "Haematological side-effects pf sulphasalazine in inflammatory arthritis." Br J Rheumatol 28 (1989): 414-7
- "Product Information. Zonegran (zonisamide)" Elan Pharmaceuticals, S. San Francisco, CA.
- Chan M, Beale D, Moorhead J "Acute megaloblastosis due to cotrimoxazole." Br J Clin Pract 34 (1980): 87-8
- Logan EC, Williamson LM, Ryrie DR "Sulphasalazine associated pancytopenia may be caused by acute folate deficiency." Gut 27 (1986): 868-72
- Jacobson IM, Kelsey PB, Blyden GT, Demirjian ZN, Isselbacher KJ "Sulfasalazine-induced agranulocytosis." Am J Gastroenterol 80 (1985): 118-21
- "Product Information. Azulfidine (sulfasalazine)." Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
sulfamethizole drug Interactions
There are 113 drug interactions with sulfamethizole
Drug Interaction Classification
|Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.|
|Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.|
|Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.|
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.