Propafenone Disease Interactions
There are 2 disease interactions with propafenone:
Antiarrhythmics (Includes Propafenone) ↔ Proarrhythmic Effects
Severe Potential Hazard, High plausibility
Applies to: Arrhythmias, Abnormal Electrocardiogram
Antiarrhythmic agents can induce or worsen ventricular arrhythmias. Ventricular tachycardia, ventricular fibrillation, and torsades de pointes have occurred in some patients. Patients with underlying cardiac dysfunction, bradycardia, hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, or high antiarrhythmic serum concentrations are at increased risk for drug-induced arrhythmias. Therapy with antiarrhythmics should be used with extreme caution in patients with or predisposed to arrhythmias. Evidence of improved survival is lacking for use of antiarrhythmic therapy in asymptomatic, non-life-threatening arrhythmias. Therapy with antiarrhythmic agents should be reserved for patients with life-threatening arrhythmias.
- "Product Information. Tambocor (flecainide)." 3M Pharmaceuticals, St. Paul, MN.
- "Product Information. Adenocard (adenosine)." Fujisawa, Deerfield, IL.
- Andrivet P, Beaslay V, Canh VD "Torsades de pointe with flecainide-amiodarone therapy." Intensive Care Med 16 (1990): 342-3
Antiarrhythmics (Includes Propafenone) ↔ Electrolyte Imbalance
Moderate Potential Hazard, High plausibility
Applies to: Hypokalemia, Hyperkalemia, Magnesium Imbalance
Electrolyte imbalance can alter the therapeutic effectiveness of antiarrhythmic agents. Hypokalemia and hypomagnesemia can reduce the effectiveness of antiarrhythmic agents. In some cases, these disorders can exaggerate the degree of QTc prolongation and increase the potential for torsades de pointes. Hyperkalemia can potentiate the toxic effects of antiarrhythmic agents. Electrolyte imbalance should be corrected prior to initiating antiarrhythmic therapy. Clinical monitoring of cardiac function and electrolyte concentrations is recommended.
- "Product Information. Tonocard (tocainide)." Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA.
- "Product Information. Norpace (disopyramide)." Searle, Skokie, IL.
- "Product Information. Mexitil (mexiletine)." Boehringer-Ingelheim, Ridgefield, CT.
propafenone drug Interactions
There are 502 drug interactions with propafenone
Drug Interaction Classification
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.