User Reviews for Actemra

Learn more about Actemra.

Actemra Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 369 medications used in the treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Reviews for Actemra to treat Rheumatoid Arthritis

"I took the first dose of Actemra and felt a little dizzy but that did not last long. My stiffness was reduced and for the first time in two years felt like myself again. The only problem is that my lip was slightly swollen but went away in about two days. The medicine last for about 4-5 days then I started having severe pain in my joints especially my elbows and shoulders. I had to take pain medication which did not help much. Overall I love this medication and I can't wait for my weekly injection."

Dwereley March 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had RA for nine years that was managed well with Plaquenil for eight and it stopped working. I tried Enbrel with Methotrexate and Prednisone for nine months. Vectra-DA test showed high RA disease activity with Interleukin 6 protein as main culprit. Discontinued Enbrel and began Actemra self injections. Two days after sixth dose, I woke nearly pain free. It has continued to improve the last several weeks, as well as reduced stiffness and fatigue. Only side effect has been an occasional mild headache. For me, the Vectra test and Actemra have been game changers in the management and treatment of my disease. I could not be more pleased."

ColoradoRAFighter (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with RA over 15 years ago. At my worst I sat on the couch with my pain pills in one hand, and the TV remote in the other. I was unable to stand or walk without assistance. I was approved as a patient for the clinical trials for Actemra, and for me this was a life changer, a total reversal of what my life had become. I finished raising my two sons, work full time, and even earned my degree in the last ten years since taking Actemra. While I still have some flares a times, my overall life has improved 100%. My SED rate dropped from 130's to under 5, the only thing I still struggle with is the insomnia and fatigue. I have been truly lucky as I have not experienced any side affects in the 10 years I have been on Actemra."

Suzi Q (taken for 10 years or more) October 6, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 39 years old and have been diagnosed with juvenile RA at the age of 15. Now my diagnose is seropositive RA. I have been on all existing meds but my problem is that they work for some time and then stop working completely. I had to wait for years to be put on biological therapy. Now, I have been taking Actemra for 1,5 year and it worked I would say between 4th and 9th month. The last six months I see that it's no more effective for me. I am again in a lots of pain and I can't function normally. I said it to my rheumatologist and she gave me Arcoxia as a NSAID to be taken and maybe cease the pain. It's not helping at all, so she said that we do a switch to another drug. Hope it would work better for me this time."

Mus763 April 25, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the 3rd treatment for RA i have tried. The 1st was Remicade which helped considerably but I had an allergic reaction so I couldn't use anymore. The 2nd was Orencia which didn't have an impact at all. The Actemra is working but I'm experiencing all sorts of side effects like increase in cholesterol and blood pressure as well as blisters and boils over my body. Kind of scary as it's only been 2 treatments."

PSF314 January 28, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had tried Orencia, which worked for three months and then quit. Next, I was on Rituximab, but after a year and a half, my rheumatologist and myself decided to switch, as it was not helping enough. My rheumatologist suggested Actemra and life has come back to me! I have only been on it a year and a half, but during this time, I have felt so much better. My C-reactive protein went from 38 to 1 and my SED rate has gone from 18 to 0.1. Interestingly, the IL-6 protein was my culprit and Actemra targets that protein. With todays Vectra-DA blood test, studies are finding which biologic medications can work the best for you. Rheumatologists are also finding the sooner they turn down your symptoms, the easier it is to control inflammation caused by autoimmune disease."

ItsmeWayne (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 26, 2015

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have very active rheumatoid arthritis, I started Actemra in May 2010, it took 8 or 9 months for it to start working. March 2014, I had a low white blood count, called Neutropenia. Stopped Actemra for 3 months, now I'm on a 1/2 a dose. Tried many other meds over the years, but nothing worked like Actemra for me. I hope I can keep taking it. Time will tell. So many side effects to look out for. 55 year old female on Medicare."

wonderful1 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 16, 2014

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had 3 infusions. My ESR have gone from 33 down to 8 & my CRP has gone from 17.9 down to 0.7. This stuff rocks."

chezalsue January 10, 2014

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Previous experience with other medicines that were ineffective were Enbrel and Humira. I was on methotrexate for 5 years but was taken off as it caused an enlarged liver. I've been on tocilizumab now for 7 months. Its fantastic! No stiffness and no flares! Took about 8 weeks to kick in fully. I've suffered a few side effects including sores on my hands and feet, bleeding gums and upper respiratory tract infection. Side effects are subsiding now though and seem insignificant due to how good my rheumatoid arthritis has been since on tocilizumab. I feel fantastic!"

JoyfulJo aged 43 May 30, 2013

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2008. I was put on methotrexate almost immediately. My first stab at a TNF inhibitor went well for about a year. Then, there were a couple of tries with different meds (including the dreaded prednisone for flares). My PA thought that we could "do better".....so, I researched and she researched....together, we came up with Actemra. The stiffness in the morning is GONE! I haven't flared in over a year! I'm SO lucky to have found Actemra. The only thing that kind of bugs me, is that the week before my next infusion is due, I get a little stiff and more tired than usual."

kelsue5202 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 28, 2013