What should I tell my healthcare provider before receiving Actemra?
Before receiving Actemra, let your health care provider know if you have any of the following:
- An infection or symptoms of an infection, such as a fever, sweating or chills, shortness of breath, a rash or sores, fatigue, muscle aches, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting, a cough, or pain when urinating
- Diabetes, HIV, hepatitis B, or a weak immune system
- Tuberculosis (TB)
- Have lived in or recently traveled to certain parts of the U.S (such as the Ohio and Mississippi River valleys and the Southwest) where there is a higher risk of certain fungal infections such as histoplasmosis, coccidioidomycosis, or blastomycosis
- Diverticulitis, ulcers, or tears (perforations) of your stomach or intestines
- Liver problems or symptoms that may suggest liver problems, such as yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes (jaundice), appetite loss, abdominal swelling and pain on the right side of your stomach area, light-colored stools, or dark "tea-colored" urine
- Cancer of any type
- Multiple sclerosis or any other condition that affects your nervous system.
Also, let your doctor know if:
- You have recently received or are scheduled to receive a vaccine
- Recent laboratory tests detected low neutrophils, low platelets, or your liver function results were high
- You plan to have surgery or a medical procedure
- You are pregnant or plan to become pregnant or are breastfeeding
- You take any other medications, including prescription, over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
- Actemra (tocilizumab). Actemra.com https://www.actemra.com/covid-19.html
- Actemra (tocilizumab). Updated 11/2021 Genentech, Inc. https://www.drugs.com/pro/actemra.html
Related medical questions
- What is the effect of Actemra on patients with COVID-19?
- What are the new drugs for rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
- What is Actemra used to treat?
- What biosimilars have been approved in the United States?
- Is tocilizumab (Actemra) effective for treating COVID-19?
- Actemra Information for Consumers
- Actemra prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Actemra (detailed)
Related support groups
- Actemra (12 questions, 50 members)