User Reviews for AndroGel

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about AndroGel.

AndroGel Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 39 medications used in the treatment of Hypogonadism, Male.

Reviews for AndroGel to treat Hypogonadism, Male

"I've been using Androgel (2 pumps per day) for about 3 weeks now. My energy level and sex drive is a lot better. In a better mood also. I haven't had any side effects yet nor have I gotten any blood work done either. I am 46 with total testosterone level at the low 300 level. Dr. thought this would help. So far so good... I'm very lucky to have insurance coverage and my copay is $40 month"

Anonymous August 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My testosterone wad 153 and on the second test was 125. The doctor started me on two pumps a day and after 90 day it. Was 194. The only change was my atomic hot flashes had stopped. They were really bad and after the flash I would freeze in my soaked clothes. So now it has changed to bad night sweats. I do not feel the heat but wake up covered in sweat. I now use four pumps a day and it has been a week. I know I have to be patient, but if two pumps increased the reading by less than 70 I do not see that four pumps will bring me above 300. I have chronic pain and have to use a lot of opioids every day. This likely caused the problem and continues to fight the testosterone. My pain doctor told me I need to get on with my life as much as possible "

Kingbuba (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 33 was tested and had low t my results were 39 which is extremely low. I started on androgel 1.62 two pumps made me very aggressive and I would snap and get angry so I went to 1 pump in the morning my sex drive went through the roof :) . After 6 wks I was tested the results were 432 that was exciting I also gained 15pounds I use to weigh 140 now I'm staying between 150-156 I am stronger more energy can think better but I do have my days that suck it's all part of the test now not everyone is going to have results like mine so keep trying to find what it is that works also if your eating poorly that maybe the reason also try to eat healthy and workout"

Maynardsview May 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This never worked for me, not even a little. It might have been a placebo. Testin works GREAT!!!"

ArtNM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"38 years old. I took Androgel 5mg /day for 7 months with no, or very few results. I went up to 7,5mg/day for a month with the same effect. The testosterone level is still very low. My doctor asked me to try Natesto for a month, we'll see from there !"

Anonymous February 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on the medicine just about 3 years now, and it has really turned my life around - I am 47. I use the minimum dose. T went from 150 -> 700 after just 6 months - maintains there regularly. One thing I do to help it work better is apply lotion 1 hour after using it every day. Turns out JAMA had an article that showed applying lotion or suntan lotion increased efficacy of absorption by 14-18%. I suggest this for those who are not getting desirable results. I get blood tested every 6 months - which is good, in my opinion."

47 year old male (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 66 and used Androgel in the past for about 4 years, max dose (4 pumps), with T around 450. Then med was dropped from formulary; I switched to Fortesta. Doc started me on max dose (7 pumps; has different concentration) but had to decrease to just 2 pumps to get acceptable T level (7 pumps Fortesta gave T of 3,500!). The formulary changed again and I'm back on Androgel 1.62% for nearly a year, max dose of 4 pumps, but T now only 175. This new stuff smells and feels different than the Androgel I was on before and is made in Mexico which makes me suspect improper manufacturing or storage. Am definitely not pleased with this product now, and wonder what I'm actually using. Will ask Doc about applying to thighs where I used Fortesta."

Michael1950 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Axiron for a year or 2. My T level was 680 on my last test. After taking Androgel 1.62 for 9 months, my T level is now 189. My doctor is asking me to double up (4 pumps instead of 2). I am very disappointed in the effectiveness of Androgel 1.62 and also concerned with any side effects that might accompany doubling my dose. Any comment?"

DougB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"45 years old. Original test 160. Two pumps of 1.62 a day retested after 2 months tested 492."

Cam45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After using 2 pumps per day for 4 months total testosterone levels dropped from 224 to 174. Worthless product."

LwsEge (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had T levels below 200 and the Doc started me on Androgel 1.62. I saw minor improvements at 2 and 3 pumps per day, but didn't see normal T numbers until he prescribed a max dose of 4 pumps daily. I had libido and ED issues that have greatly improved. The main side effect I have is that I have some body acne on the shoulders and upper chest, I've also had a little more chest hair. Without insurance and even with insurance the gel can be too pricey for many."

Southern Guy (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 54 year old male; my free T came back at 29, very low. I was prescribed 1.62% less then a week ago. My motivation and energy levels coming back up already. I have no sex drive at al and cannot get or maintain an erection. Anxious to see how things progress in a couple weeks. Thanks to all for the great feedback."

MPW61 July 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked well on restablishing "normal" testosterene levels, but strong impact on moods,,agresiveness and irritability."

Misha707 July 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had ALL (acute lymphoblastic leukemia) then started suffering from having no drive, depression etc. My Dr. said to try Androgel 1.62% which he prescribed, gradually I started feeling better, now, 10 months after starting Androgel I no longer suffer the psychological problems which is a big, big help. This stuff cost so so much - for 2 bottles of 1.62% pump, it is 985$. The price is ridiculous!!"

iflylow9 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Just so you guys know its NOT total testosterone that you need to be worried about so much as its your FREE testosterone that really matters. You need to see if your free test is in normal range. You could have a total testosterone of 1200 but if your free test is lower than normal you'll feel like crap. Low energy low libito can't gain muscle etc. On other hand if you had a total testosterone say only 400 but your FREE testosterone is good normal range you'll feel great all around. Everyone posts about TOTAL Testosterone but its the FREE unbound testosterone you need to really worry about. Total testosterone is bound meaningless in the energy libito muscle department were as FREE testosterone takes care of the energy libido muscle departme"

jgunz June 26, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Terrible. You feel a bump in energy and libido the first 1-2 weeks and then it drops. They up the dose and it happens again. I started at 230 test and went on this drug. It dropped to 198! It does not absorb. That is the problem. And when it does it supposedly becomes DHT which is like a female hormone. The only reason this drug sells is because people are deperate for help."

David37 June 25, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been using for 2 years. Overall, it does what it's supposed to. At 52 I was just feeling out of it. Tired all the time, loss of energy, spare tyre weight gain, and some erectile dysfunction. Tested at 278. Started with shots, and AndroGel combined, then just AndroGel for the last year. The shots were far more effective, and cheaper, but my T levels would go way up then way down before the next shot. The gel keeps it steady. I have lost a lot of waist line, don't need naps anymore, and sex life is back to what it was in my 30s."

M man January 1, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Within a week I noticed I had more energy to just get stuff done. Tasks at work, hobbies, errands - I just have more energy to get out of bed and do stuff. Then my shriveled up penis went back to it's normal soft 4 inches. After another week or so, I was able to get my normal 8 inch erection again. I don't know what guys did before this medicine was invented. I would have had to get out a magnifying glass. All of a sudden I now feel like I need to do something about the beer belly, and working out feels like it is worth the effort again. Androgel is like the fountain of youth."

Philip9 December 30, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For 9 months I struggled with anxiety, depression, foggy brain, fatigue, low sex drive, loss of morning erections, and general feeling of malaise. Doctor tested my T and came back at 251. I was referred to an endocrinologist and he retested and came back at 189. Prescribed Androgel 1.62% on a 2 month trail and it has been amazing. Within 4-5 days I noticed that the "crashes" that I used to experience daily for 4-5 hours now only lasted 30-60 minutes. After 4 weeks of treatment, the Daily crashes have disappeared. My sex drive is coming back, still not where it should be but I'm optimistic that I'll get there. I have a follow up appointment in a month and I'm looking forward to finding out my levels!"

Sb9780 December 9, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 75 Years old male, 5 years at the Gym, fairly muscular. I had a 330 ng/ml total testosterone and I decided to check with the Urologist if I could use this medicine. After few test, he decided to give me the patches that gave rash and not improvement at all. The Doctor started me with the 1% gel - 2 pumps in the morning and the next reading was 207 ng/ml. I went back to his office and he told me, You need more medicine, and put me un Androgel 1.62 % - 4 pumps in the morning for about 3 month. At me surprice the next reading was 440 ng/ml and 3 more month 754 ng/ml. At some point, I ran out of the insurance coverage for this year and I had to reduce to 2 pumps - 1.62 %. Then my testosterone level fell to 220 ng/ml again."

Strong Angel November 22, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my test level and it was 13 yeah 13 I felt like getting out of bed and going to work almost impossible. I am doing 2 packages a day my level is up to 320 no A rod but feeling better and no problem getting out of bed and working."

Bavafavagucci October 27, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 20 years old, 6 months ago I did two testosterone tests and it was below 20mg yeah 20 mg. My doctor put me on Androgel 1.62% 2 pumps a day, after 6 months I feel a lot better, I have erections now. I gained muscles and hair all over my body, I started to grow a little beard and I feel that I have better energy, I don't have depression anymore, my libido became very high, I went to my doctor last week to check my testosterone that I did, my testosterone levels now are 1090 mg. He was surprised and he told me to reduce to 1 pump a day. And yes my voice became very deep."

JOe1812 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"From my research, the absorption rate depends on the person quite a bit. I'm on Androgel 3 pumps right now (orig. T-level 218 on 338 - 1000 scale). I'm feeling better but not as good as the trial pack of Testim. Just to be sure I was remembering correctly, I used the 3 remaining tubes of Testim recently, and my energy was much better (did not need any naps during the day.) After going back to 3 pumps Androgel, I felt energy level drop. Since my insurance covers only Androgel and Foresta, I'm going to ask Dr. about switching to Foresta next visit since I do not seem to be absorbing the Androgel very well. If Testim smelled better, I'd be on the phone with the insurance to see if we could work out a deal."

toolbox44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I been on the 1% packets. I'm only taking 4 days per week...tue, thu, sat, sun. My level was 200 and I'm 53. I've only been on it 2 weeks and I still see mild increase in energy level. My doctor prescribed once a day, but the price is very high without insurance so I'm trying to get more time for $$$. Do any of you know how this usage pattern could affect the overall performance???"

MrPick (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Androgel for approximately 5 months. I was tested for low Testosterone after going around 10 years with low to no libido. I tested at 156 even though I get regular exercise. I am around 20 to 30 lbs over weight. My doctor initially put me on 2 packets of the stronger dosage and I noticed I was feeling stronger but still no libido. After 2 months got Testosterone tested again and it was a little over 200. Doctor put me on 3 pumps of the stronger gel and I have mixed results....erections almost to the point of annoyance (very rare before taking gel) when I am sleeping, but libido still not really there. I haven't seen any weight loss but I may have gained some muscle. My doc is going to test me again after 3 months on 3 pumps and will see what my level is."

So So Results (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2013