User Reviews for AndroGel

AndroGel Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Hypogonadism, Male.

Reviews for AndroGel to treat Hypogonadism, Male

"My levels were around 250 been taking it for 10 years. Dr had me on 4 pumps a day. My levels went to 800 first test and Dr wanted it lowered so next test I did not take any for a day and came in at 580. He wanted me to take 3 pump or 2 pumps. I take morning and another 2 pump later. Stuff works for me "

Chiguy (taken for 10 years or more) September 12, 2018

"So if you go to a "compounding pharmacy" they can make you a 1.62% generic (since they only make 1% in generic). Name brand Androgel 1.62% walgreens quoted me $750 September 2018. Generic 1% was $450 without any coupons, which you can find online. The compound pharmacy made me a 1.62% pump gel and charged me $35. Yes, only $35 cash for a 30 day supply."

Smart dood (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2018

"Had low energy and sex drive was about gone. 26 years old and am on an opiate blocker called suboxone. Suboxone kills your testosterone. If I would have known that I would have never gotten on it. I’m getting close to getting off suboxone. Been clean for a few years now. I would suggest this opiate blocker be used for short term use only. Anyway about a year ago I tested my T level and it was 280 ng. I decided to get on androgel and just got my levels tested and now it’s 660 ng. I’ve been on the gel for about a year and especially in the last month my sex drive has gone up drastically. I get sick of seeing negative comments saying topical creams do not work. These are false blanket statements. Maybe for a lot of people cream doesn’t work but for me it works. I would suggest anyone over the age of 18 to test their T levels. I’ve talked with friends who had PTSD and have been suicidal and TRT saved their life."

Drew September 1, 2018

"I started on this gel about 3 years ago I guess. I had had kidney stones and my urologist suggested it (I can't remember "why" now. I am not sure what I expected, perhaps better muscles, skin tone, ERECTIONS! Nothing dramatic happened, but after a couple of years( I think) I thought that my balls were shrinking! As it was a gradual reduction in size I guess I sort of ignored it, then one day about a year or so ago, I fondled my balls and I was horrified, what I felt was something akin to 2 baked beans-I mean REALLY tiny. I immediately stopped the gel, and after some time they came back to their full size (I guess-I hadn't measured so I can't provide "before" and "after" stats), But they seem a reasonable size. I guess if the benefits of the gel, are such for the individual that they don't mind the shrinkage, but for me, it felt like I had lost my masculinity."

ACE (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 28, 2018

"I went to the dr. I had my T-levels check came back 160 and couple months went by my T-levels are 473 feeling good. I highly recommended Androgel 1.62"

Biggs (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2018

"I've started testosterone replacement therapy when I was 30 years old started out with name brand AndroGel 1.62 percent my levels increase dramatically. Then my insurance stop covering it I was able to get the injection of testosterone 100 mg intramuscularly once a week it worked amazing for the past two years. Most doctors, even endocrinologist don't know much about testosterone replacement therapy "

Keithc2485 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2018

"I've been using Androgel (2 pumps per day) for about 3 weeks now. My energy level and sex drive is a lot better. In a better mood also. I haven't had any side effects yet nor have I gotten any blood work done either. I am 46 with total testosterone level at the low 300 level. Dr. thought this would help. So far so good... I'm very lucky to have insurance coverage and my copay is $40 month"

Anonymous August 21, 2017

"My testosterone wad 153 and on the second test was 125. The doctor started me on two pumps a day and after 90 day it. Was 194. The only change was my atomic hot flashes had stopped. They were really bad and after the flash I would freeze in my soaked clothes. So now it has changed to bad night sweats. I do not feel the heat but wake up covered in sweat. I now use four pumps a day and it has been a week. I know I have to be patient, but if two pumps increased the reading by less than 70 I do not see that four pumps will bring me above 300. I have chronic pain and have to use a lot of opioids every day. This likely caused the problem and continues to fight the testosterone. My pain doctor told me I need to get on with my life as much as possible "

Kingbuba (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

"I am 33 was tested and had low t my results were 39 which is extremely low. I started on androgel 1.62 two pumps made me very aggressive and I would snap and get angry so I went to 1 pump in the morning my sex drive went through the roof :) . After 6 wks I was tested the results were 432 that was exciting I also gained 15pounds I use to weigh 140 now I'm staying between 150-156 I am stronger more energy can think better but I do have my days that suck it's all part of the test now not everyone is going to have results like mine so keep trying to find what it is that works also if your eating poorly that maybe the reason also try to eat healthy and workout"

Maynardsview May 3, 2017

"This never worked for me, not even a little. It might have been a placebo. Testin works GREAT!!!"

ArtNM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2017

"38 years old. I took Androgel 5mg /day for 7 months with no, or very few results. I went up to 7,5mg/day for a month with the same effect. The testosterone level is still very low. My doctor asked me to try Natesto for a month, we'll see from there !"

Anonymous February 6, 2017

"I have been on the medicine just about 3 years now, and it has really turned my life around - I am 47. I use the minimum dose. T went from 150 -> 700 after just 6 months - maintains there regularly. One thing I do to help it work better is apply lotion 1 hour after using it every day. Turns out JAMA had an article that showed applying lotion or suntan lotion increased efficacy of absorption by 14-18%. I suggest this for those who are not getting desirable results. I get blood tested every 6 months - which is good, in my opinion."

47 year old male (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

"I am 66 and used Androgel in the past for about 4 years, max dose (4 pumps), with T around 450. Then med was dropped from formulary; I switched to Fortesta. Doc started me on max dose (7 pumps; has different concentration) but had to decrease to just 2 pumps to get acceptable T level (7 pumps Fortesta gave T of 3,500!). The formulary changed again and I'm back on Androgel 1.62% for nearly a year, max dose of 4 pumps, but T now only 175. This new stuff smells and feels different than the Androgel I was on before and is made in Mexico which makes me suspect improper manufacturing or storage. Am definitely not pleased with this product now, and wonder what I'm actually using. Will ask Doc about applying to thighs where I used Fortesta."

Michael1950 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 2, 2016

"I took Axiron for a year or 2. My T level was 680 on my last test. After taking Androgel 1.62 for 9 months, my T level is now 189. My doctor is asking me to double up (4 pumps instead of 2). I am very disappointed in the effectiveness of Androgel 1.62 and also concerned with any side effects that might accompany doubling my dose. Any comment?"

DougB (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 9, 2016

"45 years old. Original test 160. Two pumps of 1.62 a day retested after 2 months tested 492."

Cam45 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2016

"After using 2 pumps per day for 4 months total testosterone levels dropped from 224 to 174. Worthless product."

LwsEge (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2016

"I had T levels below 200 and the Doc started me on Androgel 1.62. I saw minor improvements at 2 and 3 pumps per day, but didn't see normal T numbers until he prescribed a max dose of 4 pumps daily. I had libido and ED issues that have greatly improved. The main side effect I have is that I have some body acne on the shoulders and upper chest, I've also had a little more chest hair. Without insurance and even with insurance the gel can be too pricey for many."

Southern Guy (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 4, 2016

"I am a 54 year old male; my free T came back at 29, very low. I was prescribed 1.62% less then a week ago. My motivation and energy levels coming back up already. I have no sex drive at al and cannot get or maintain an erection. Anxious to see how things progress in a couple weeks. Thanks to all for the great feedback."

MPW61 July 17, 2016

"Worked well on restablishing "normal" testosterene levels, but strong impact on moods,,agresiveness and irritability."

Misha707 July 11, 2016

"I had ALL (acute lymphoblastic leukemia) then started suffering from having no drive, depression etc. My Dr. said to try Androgel 1.62% which he prescribed, gradually I started feeling better, now, 10 months after starting Androgel I no longer suffer the psychological problems which is a big, big help. This stuff cost so so much - for 2 bottles of 1.62% pump, it is 985$. The price is ridiculous!!"

iflylow9 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 5, 2016

"Just so you guys know its NOT total testosterone that you need to be worried about so much as its your FREE testosterone that really matters. You need to see if your free test is in normal range. You could have a total testosterone of 1200 but if your free test is lower than normal you'll feel like crap. Low energy low libito can't gain muscle etc. On other hand if you had a total testosterone say only 400 but your FREE testosterone is good normal range you'll feel great all around. Everyone posts about TOTAL Testosterone but its the FREE unbound testosterone you need to really worry about. Total testosterone is bound meaningless in the energy libito muscle department were as FREE testosterone takes care of the energy libido muscle departme"

jgunz June 26, 2015

"Terrible. You feel a bump in energy and libido the first 1-2 weeks and then it drops. They up the dose and it happens again. I started at 230 test and went on this drug. It dropped to 198! It does not absorb. That is the problem. And when it does it supposedly becomes DHT which is like a female hormone. The only reason this drug sells is because people are deperate for help."

David37 June 25, 2015

"Been using for 2 years. Overall, it does what it's supposed to. At 52 I was just feeling out of it. Tired all the time, loss of energy, spare tyre weight gain, and some erectile dysfunction. Tested at 278. Started with shots, and AndroGel combined, then just AndroGel for the last year. The shots were far more effective, and cheaper, but my T levels would go way up then way down before the next shot. The gel keeps it steady. I have lost a lot of waist line, don't need naps anymore, and sex life is back to what it was in my 30s."

M man January 1, 2015

"Within a week I noticed I had more energy to just get stuff done. Tasks at work, hobbies, errands - I just have more energy to get out of bed and do stuff. Then my shriveled up penis went back to it's normal soft 4 inches. After another week or so, I was able to get my normal 8 inch erection again. I don't know what guys did before this medicine was invented. I would have had to get out a magnifying glass. All of a sudden I now feel like I need to do something about the beer belly, and working out feels like it is worth the effort again. Androgel is like the fountain of youth."

Philip9 December 30, 2014

"For 9 months I struggled with anxiety, depression, foggy brain, fatigue, low sex drive, loss of morning erections, and general feeling of malaise. Doctor tested my T and came back at 251. I was referred to an endocrinologist and he retested and came back at 189. Prescribed Androgel 1.62% on a 2 month trail and it has been amazing. Within 4-5 days I noticed that the "crashes" that I used to experience daily for 4-5 hours now only lasted 30-60 minutes. After 4 weeks of treatment, the Daily crashes have disappeared. My sex drive is coming back, still not where it should be but I'm optimistic that I'll get there. I have a follow up appointment in a month and I'm looking forward to finding out my levels!"

Sb9780 December 9, 2014