User Reviews for Lamisil

Learn more about Lamisil.

Lamisil Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 24 medications used in the treatment of Onychomycosis, Toenail.

Reviews for Lamisil to treat Onychomycosis, Toenail

"This medication can damage liver function. I was prescribed with Lamisil, after 3 days, I discovered my urine turned into dark tea color, I fell into sick. I go my liver test result came back, it showed my liver was damaged, it's 3 times beyond more than the normal result. I wasn't able to continue to use Lamisil. I also checked if I got any kind of hepatitis, the results came back which indicated that I had never been affected with any kind of hepatitis. Eventually it took me almost 1 year to recover from using Lamisil."

Healthy Matt (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered from toenail fungus on my left big toe for ten years. After having no luck with over the counter medications I went to my dermatologist who prescribed a pain on one. I went through several months of using it and had zero improvement. My dermatologist then prescribed a 3 month treatment of terbinafine. I am now done with the treatment and my nail is about 75% clear! Had all of the blood work done and everything came back fine. I thought I was experiencing side effects the first few weeks but I think it was mostly in my head because I read all of these awful reviews. All I can say is that this literally has changed my life and I am so mad I didn't try to get prescribed to it ten years ago!!! 10/10 would recommend."

Happy!!! April 5, 2017

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took this for 2 1/2 months (generic version). Fungus improved somewhat however the side effects of weight gain, water retention, diarrhea and stomach pain were not worth it. The side effects increased the longer I was on the medication. I take nothing else and there were no other changes or health issues so I know 100% this medication was the culprit."

ChrisLM (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Everyone's toenails grow at different rates. To say that they grow slowly and that evidence of the treatment taking a year to notice is simply NOT TRUE. I have taken generic Lamasil for 3 weeks now and the thickness under the nail bed in all 5 of my toes is almost completely gone AND you can see where new, healthy nail is growing in. I am fully committed to the treatment course, so just because things look better so quickly does not mean the fungus is completely gone. I just wanted to give hope to someone out there who may be discouraged by some of these testimonies. Everyone's case is different but there is still the possibility your body will respond well and rather quickly to the oral treatment!"

7910MT (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Did not work! Used the 12 week treatment. Saw an improvement and after cutting off the whole nail it looked like it was growing back healthy. Fast forward to now and the other nail is doing the same thing the first one did. Not only that but the first nail is still not growing back properly and is starting to turn yellow...again! It's like the medicine didn't even kill all of it. Now I have to figure out something else as the second stupid nail is turning yellow and starting to have the same issues as the first."

Jess30276 October 13, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After reading comments on here I thought I would writ a realistic review based on the truth. I took terbinafine tablets for 6 months. I didn't have any side affects and had 1 blood test. My organs were all fine. I have read on here that people's toes started to clear within a month. I can safely say that this is untrue. You will not see any results until the fungus has been killed and a new unaffected nail starts to grow. This can take over a year. For me I think it was about 10 -11 months. So 4 or so months after I finished the treatment. My nail didn't look any different from when I started. And then if by magic a new clean nail started growing. At this stage I got rid of all my socks and shoes and replaced them. Toe nails grow slowly!!"

Judd789 October 1, 2016

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered for almost 6 years with all ten toes badly infected. The sight was awful!!! I had to wear closed in shoes ALL the time. I took 3 months of treatment and seen a SIGNIFICANT change!! After 3 months of being off the treatment, I asked my doctor for another round because it is an extremely STUBBORN fungus!! Thankfully after that round, I now have normal, beautiful ten toes!! I had my 1st pedicure in years and I went sandal crazy shopping!! I don't know of any side effects and if there where any, it was nothing I noticed. I was afraid of the risks, but EVERYTHING is a risk!! This was a risk worth taking!!"

Tee2014 September 22, 2016

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took for 3 months. Painless. Absolutely no side effects. At end, the fungus appeared maybe 15-20% better. The dermatologist said the toenail had to grow out and would not renew the prescription. Will check with my Family practice doctor to see if another 30-60 days possible. Very sorry to hear the experiences of others. Completely fine for me."

rick12 September 6, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took the medication for 35 days, was onto my second script, when I got loss of taste, my mouth tasted like sour milk 24/7, when eating sweet food I couldn't taste the sweet, and anything sweet made the sour milk taste in my mouth worse. Also eating dairy gave the same effect. Eating salted food was tasteless. Great DIET PILL, as everything tastes so foul, including water. Went to the Doctor, says stop taking it, and the foul taste could last for several weeks, return if still no good in six weeks. My toe nail was starting to look better, but needed to complete the course. Will have to revert to natural method tea tree oil. Also got headaches with this medication, although that could be due to lack of water as drinking water tastes sour."

Marinoz (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The good: Try this product. I was always embarrassed to tell my doctor and afraid of side effects. Well all the topical tricks and liquids and over the counter stuff never worked. I can't tell you the last time I had nice looking toenails or feet. The skin on the bottom of my feet was always dry and white and scaly. Not anymore! My wife was shocked at how good they look. And I am getting 4 beautiful toenails growing in! Amazing! Never been so happy to wear flip flops! The bad: I almost stopped taking Lamisil as the first few days I felt very agitated. It went away after a week and now I am fine. I did develop a rash on my arms which I am not sure is a result of the Lamisil treatment or simply a coincidence. But honestly it does work."

Tommy Brady (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2016

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Best advice:1.Get prescription pills & continue until side effects are unbearable,that product will clear it up best & fastest,Then switch to prescription polish. 2.Go buy electric nail file w attachments, keep thinnest & short as possible. 3.Change socks morning/night. 4.Don't share nail tools! 5. Sally's has professional liquid cleaner, blue stuff lasts year! 6.Clean infected toes PM before changing socks. 7.i switched from pills to medicated polish because of headaches & after 7 months my toe nail is clear & growing at a similar rate to others. I've read & tried all the tricks. If u follow these instructions DAILY it WILL clear up but your looking at a year. Add Epsom Salt 2 minute soak, 2-3x wk, plug bath sink,put foot in."

Best advice I wish I was told! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2016

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had toe nail fungus on one nail. Took lamisil one month. Was supposed to take 3 months but i had a GI bleed and went to hospial 3 days. Got colonscope & sent home. 6 days later back to hospital, got c-diff infection, in hospial 5 days. Home in bed sick as dog 3 weeks. Got thrush on tongue. Lost tastebuds and everything including water taste nasty! Have lost 25 pounds because cant eat. Weak, tired and miss eatting food. I didnt know about the side affects or i wouldn't have taken this drug. I now believe it was responsible for all my medical problems. It is going to take a long time to get over the c-diff. My quality of life has gone down. I am 58 yr. old female who has had bad drug reactions all my life. Rather have toenail fungus. "

Vikkib58 March 3, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took this drug a few years ago and it worked great. I had fungus in 3 of my toenails initially (and had it for a few years before trying this). They all cleared up after use of lamisil for 12 weeks. I had no side effects. But, within about a year, fungus developed again on my big toe (unless it never cured?). I'm taking lamisil again but I'm only 4 weeks in and I've gotten terrible headaches and pretty bad itching. I'm not sure if I will be able to go through a second round of the stuff at my 6 week checkin. I still think I'd recommend it because it did get rid of fungus on two toe nails but I'm not sure if the side effects would be too off putting for some."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine does work. I took it for about a month before I had a really bad reaction though. I had an itchy hive looking rash and it turned into welts all over my body including my face. My eyes swelled up and were really puffy too. I wish I could've stayed on the medicine for the 3 month period because it does work I have a clean toenail growing in but I had to stop the medicine so hopefully it stays that way. If you develop a reaction or an allergy to this it really sucks but it does work. I recommend not missing a day and always taking it at the same time everyday. I took it everyday when I woke up but I got sick and stopped taking it for a couple days, coincidentally when I started taking it again the reaction happened."

Sbls February 2, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had a toenail fungus for 10 years on 1 big toenail. I finally decided to try the generic Lamisil after refusing to take it from hearing about possible liver damage. After taking it for 2 weeks I developed an itchy, red, bumpy rash on my back, chest, and neck. I am now using a prescription steroid cream on my skin for the next 2 weeks to help with this rash! I guess there's no hope in getting rid of this fungus. My dermatologist said to try Vick's Vaporub everyday 2x day to see if that helps..."

Amy J. January 20, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took the pill form for 3 months. It worked beautifully. No noticeable side effects. I can wear sandals, etc. Couldn't even think of doing that for the past 5 years."

Stretch18 January 20, 2016

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just started taking Terbinafine and its been almost a week. I was wondering if using Tea Tree oil will affect me while taking the pills? Any help please?"

Lizbeth. (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have had toenail fungus for 10 years. It got so bad that the yellow nails grew upward at a depth of 1/8th". Pretty disgusting. Over the course of those years, I had tried every cream and topical that any doctor would give me, any store bought method and any old wives tale I could find. NONE of them worked. They would never give me Lamisil in pill form quoting all the ill side effects. Finally, a doctor who thought that was crazy given the extent of the fungus. I am on my second month (of three) with the pills and I file the top down with a dremel every time I get a chance. I am seeing improvement in the rate of the growth. It has slowed down tremendously. I am very hopeful that this method will extinguish this horrid fungus."

starfishgirl January 12, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It took me 1.5 mos to work up courage to take Lamisil because of all the horrendous side effects I read about. I finally took it for 90 days with no horrible side effects. If I took it too close to drinking coffee or eating my beloved chocolate it made me nauseous. So I took it right b4 bed. Near the end of the 2nd month I started itching in various places really bad. I finished treatment wondering why I was so scared. Now just waiting for slow toenails to grow out."

MaNa2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After having taken this drug for 2 months, I got an awful, foul taste in my mouth and could not have anything touch my tongue without gagging and a feeling of something in my throat after visiting 5 doctors who just looked at me like I was crazy and never heard of anything like that one said it was the medication. I stopped taking it on Nov 2 this is Dec 1 and I still cannot eat or drink anything other than water. I have lost about 25 pounds. It is making me weak and tired and have no quality of life at this point. I no longer care about the toenail fungus I have been so sick with the taste, smell problem that the toenail problem is the very least of my worries. Missed Thanksgiving and hoping I won't miss Christmas. Don't take it!!"

grandma Sherry December 1, 2015

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took the generic form for 3 months last January-March. Of four badly infected toes (the others had it too, but it wasn't super obvious) one cleared up right away during treatment, and the big toe has taken forever but is growing in normally. There is still 1/8 inch yucky nail at the top of the big toenail, but the new part looks good. This is almost a year later! My two little toenails still looked pretty bad until about a month ago, when I realized they were about 75% improved and still continue to improve. I had no side effects at all. My doctor told me to apply topical lamisil EVERY DAY for the rest of my life to keep this from coming back, and to throw out ALL footwear and replace it during treatment, so I did."

Cheniqua (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I found the pill very effective. Took it every day for 3 months and by the time I had completed the treatment a new healthy nail had completely grown out. However, within weeks the fungus returned and a the nail became yellow and brittle again. Huge disappointment. At least I didn't have any bad side effects."

Lkdj (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2015

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"You won't see results for about 2 months after you start taking it but be patient it works. You might have to refill 1-3 times and go about six months between them but it does works. It takes time. The first time it killed about 30% then the second time about 30% now on the third round almost gone."

Giveittime September 26, 2015

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Update. Its been 1 year 6 months when I first tried the generic brand of Lamisil" ( you can read my story in past comments) I was on the medication for 3 months. I can say my 9 toes are clear , one big toe 98% clear . Just do it!!. Can wear sandals now, walk the beach barefoot with my girlfriend, no more embarrassment."

Hapy camper (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2015

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking lamisil for 10 days and I haven't really seen a difference I have two nails infected on 1 foot (little toes). I was wondering if the people that have cured their infection how long did it take to see improvements? A little more detail on what nails looked like before. In my case my nail lifted on the nailbed and turned white since a year my nail has barely grown and when it does it's covered by white fungus at the cuticle so basically no toenail since a year, other toe just got infected I also have blisters and the toe its self is peeling and I see white mouldish looking spots around toenail anyone have this same fungus?"

IHatefungus (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2015