Generic Name: terbinafine topical (ter BIN a feen TOP i kal)
Brand Name: Athlete's Foot Cream, LamISIL AT
What is Lamisil AT (terbinafine topical)?
Terbinafine is an antifungal medication that fights infections caused by fungus.
Terbinafine topical (for the skin) is used to treat skin infections such as athlete's foot, jock itch, and ringworm infections.
Terbinafine topical may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about Lamisil AT (terbinafine topical)?
Follow all directions on your medicine label and package. Tell each of your healthcare providers about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before using Lamisil AT (terbinafine topical)?
You should not use terbinafine topical if you are allergic to it.
This medicine is not expected to harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
It is not known whether terbinafine passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Terbinafine is not approved for use by anyone younger than 12 years old.
How should I use Lamisil AT (terbinafine topical)?
Use exactly as directed on the label, or as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Do not take by mouth. Terbinafine topical is for use only on the skin. Do not use this medicine to treat fungal infections of your fingernails, toenails, or scalp.
Read all patient information, medication guides, and instruction sheets provided to you. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
Wash your hands before and after using this medicine.
Clean and dry the affected area. Apply the medicine as directed.
Use this medicine for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared.
Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve, or if they get worse.
Do not cover the treated skin area unless your doctor tells you to.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep the medicine container tightly closed when not in use.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Apply the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
An overdose of terbinafine is not expected to be dangerous. Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222 if anyone has accidentally swallowed the medication.
What should I avoid while using Lamisil AT (terbinafine topical)?
If this medicine gets in your eyes, nose, mouth, rectum, or vagina, rinse with water.
Avoid using other medications on the areas you treat with terbinafine unless your doctor tells you to.
Avoid wearing tight-fitting, synthetic clothing that doesn't allow air circulation. Wear loose-fitting clothing made of cotton and other natural fibers until your infection is healed.
Lamisil AT (terbinafine topical) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using terbinafine and call your doctor at once if you have:
severe blistering, itching, redness, peeling, dryness, or irritation of treated skin.
Less serious side effects may be more likely, and you may have none at all.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What other drugs will affect Lamisil AT (terbinafine topical)?
It is not likely that other drugs you take orally or inject will have an effect on topically applied terbinafine. But many drugs can interact with each other. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
More about Lamisil AT (terbinafine topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 6 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical antifungals
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist has additional information about terbinafine topical.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 7.01.
Date modified: September 05, 2017
Last reviewed: February 20, 2015