User Reviews for Sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur topical to treat Acne

Also known as: Plexion, Avar, Clenia Emollient Cream, Avar Green, Sulfacleanse 8/4, Sumaxin, Avar LS, BP 10-Wash, Avar-E, Cerisa Wash, Avar Cleanser Clenia Foaming Wash Avar Gel Avar LS Cleanser Sumaxin CP Avar-E LS Avar-E Emollient Avar-E Green Suphera Sulfatol SSS 10-4 SSS 10-5 Sumadan SSS Cleanser Sumadan XLT Garimide Sumaxin Cleansing Pads Clarifoam EF …show all brand names

Sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur topical has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 34 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 71% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur topical Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 327 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur topical

Lucky girl 100 February 18, 2016

“Life saver!! When I first got this I had about ten pimples on my face.. I've been suffering from acne for years and years. I applied this and went to bed and when I woke up I could already tell a difference. Within 2-3 days I had no pimples on my face! I'm not joking! Also it did not make my skin feel dry at all which is a bonus! This cream seriously boosted my self confidence by 100%! I will continue to use this for as long as I can.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 11, 2021

“Liquid gold this literally saved my life. You can also use as a spot treatment will take down cyst legit over night. 20+ years of acne I’ve tried everything under the sun this is the only thing that’s worked for me”

Kai · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2021

“I have been using sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur consistently for about two weeks now. It was prescribed by my dermatologist. I was also prescribed Clindamycin with it, however, I stopped using the clindamycin (it severely broke me out. In places I never got acne before, extremely large painful pimples) When I used the face wash solely on its own, I started to see great results! My hyperpigmentation and acne scars even slowly are fading away. I do get a few pimples here and there, but the severity and type of pimple I get isn't as bad as it used to be. I would recommend this product to anyone with mild/moderate acne. The only down sides, I would say, is the smell. It is strong. It can be drying on the skin as well. But I would rather have that, than acne.”

Brookexo72 June 5, 2016

“This product is absolutely amazing! I had severe acne from birth control and it left me with terrible hyperpigmentation and I still had some cystic acne. I've been using Epiduo which helps but I still was getting bad break outs when I was ovulating and before/during my period. I've been using this product for a few weeks now and see drastic results. Even my hyperpigmentation is fading!!! I couldn't be happier. It's not harsh on your skin at all and it doesn't dry it out. I think everyone should try this product!!! Probably best for moderate/mild acne.”

lmm42 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 1, 2013

Clarifoam EF (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur): “I love this product because it works amazingly well to clear up my acne. I do still get pimples but they're rarely bad and for the most part I don't get huge breakouts anymore. The only drawback for me is the smell. I was told to leave it on overnight, and I have to disagree with a previous commenter that this product does not smell. As with any other sulfur product, it smells like sulfur. The longer you use it for the worse it gets. I have to throw out my sheets and sleep shirts every 6 months because they stink, and I can't ever wash them with anything I wear in public. I also have to be good about exfoliating, or the smell starts to stick to me too. I do think this product is worth it if sulfur is your only option, but be prepared!”

Mel · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2019

Sulfacleanse 8/4 (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur): “I randomly got a horrible breakout. I’m 22 and I never use to breakout as a teenager. I had been prescribed this for my seborrheic dermatitis but I never ended up using it. I tried it once I started breaking out and within 3 days my skin looked SO much better. I’ve now been using it for about a month and my acne is clear and it’s fading my scars. I do recommend only using it at night and then moisturizing because it did dry my skin out a little. I don’t use it in the morning because I just wash with water. I’ve learned that stripping the natural oils off your face in the morning makes me more prone to bacteria penetrating my skin. Definitely buy this product!!!!”

Anonymous June 7, 2010

Clarifoam EF (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur): “I am a young adult. My face had been peppered with pimples- many of which were so inflamed that they caused me pain- before I used this product. This medicine fought the active pimples and prevented more from forming. I was still scarred from my previous acne, so I had to wait until my skin healed. The scarring is the worst part since the skin has to do its own work for that. So eventually, when the scarring faded, I found myself ogling at my amazing complexion. I am so happy to no longer have to worry about dabbing concealer all over my face! I still get the occasional pimple here and there (though they are far less inflamed), but that's because faces have so many pores that it's inevitable. That's why I'm giving this a 10!”

allieee · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2012

“I had severe acne for about 3 years, after all the lasers, chemical peels, pills, tropical treatments, I'm finally almost cleared up. I'll be getting a lazer treatment done soon to get rid of my acne scars, and just to shrink my oil glands, but now I'm on this cleanser and it seems to work great!”

Finally! · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2019

“When you start breaking out at 50,it can be extremely frustrating to say the least. Putting your kids through college, making sure you have enough to retire, and dreading menopause This is certainly not what you signed on for....well, I spent about two years trying to get my face under control, they even wanted me to go BACK on birth control, no thanks! So it was just dumb luck and A LOT of research that lead me to this wonder drug. I kinda feel a wee bit stupid not figuring it out earlier. Listen to your skin people, it actually will tell you (or show you) when your doing something wrong. Make adjustments accordingly, and be patient, you should see improvements after 10 days. I only use it at night. And I'll spot treat with salicylic acid if I need to double down on an incoming breakout. If you get too dry, I stumbled on another beauty my niece was using, Hylatopic lotion. (Rx only) fights the red too!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

“I have suffered from acne on my face and my scalp for over 20 years and have tried every medication under the sun with no success. This stuff sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur here has changed my life! Combined with an antibiotic, my scalp has gone from being riddled with pus filled bumps to literally nothing. My facial acne has declined over the years, but still existed. This medication has me acne free and I cant believe it. Why wasn't I prescribed this stuff in high school!!!”

AtLast · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2018

“I'm so happy to have finally found a medication that works on my face acne. I use it every day before bed and in two days, my pimples were gone and even the scars get lighter and lighter. It does smell like sulfur but if you use it at night then use a nice smelling face wash or mask in the morning it is completely fine. It doesn't dry out my skin either like most things did.”

DermDude January 2, 2017

“Our Dermatology practice now offer a Cheap alternative to Salfacetamide is Joesoef Skin Care Sulfur Soap 10% with .25% Salicylic acid which makes it 100% effective treatment for Acne, Rosacea, Dermatitis (SD), Fungus, Bacteria, Clogged Pores, Body Acne, Tinea Versicolor and more. Sulfur is anti bacterial, anti fungal and antiseptic which makes it extremely effective treatment for various skin disorders. For more info visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGw3MYy4Po8 . This brand offers a complete line of natural Sulfur based skin care line formulated and developed by Dermatologists and FDA approved.”

Anonymous February 11, 2011

Clarifoam EF (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur): “I absolutely love Clarifoam. I have oily, sensitive skin and have had a problem with acne since the age of five. I've tried many other dermatologist-recommended topicals and they all felt "caked on". Clarifoam goes on light and it's like you can't even feel it. Within the first three days of trying the product, my skin completely cleared up!”

Jj · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2019

“I have been washing my skin with sulfacleanse to treat my acne for several weeks now (once nightly). I tend to get deep, painful acne on my face and back. I also have moderate-severe scarring on my face from past breakouts. So far I am pleased with this product. I have very sensitive skin, and it did not cause any initial breakouts and is not considerable overdrying for me. I believe that the amount of acne I have been getting has lessened since starting this wash. I also think that it is aiding in fading some of my acne scars. The progress is slow, but at least it's progress! So far, so good.”

Orlandodsm21 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2016

“I 100000% agree about the smell. Its pretty bad, do not let it touch your clothes or good luck getting rid of the smell. Your face smells like sulfur after the wash and your sink smells like sulfur as well. I would recommend useing this during a shower only due not having it touch your clothes and to make sure if washs off completely. If it gets in your eyes prepare for alot of burning. For acne its pretty good but just becareful”

Nw November 8, 2019

“Used 10% sulfacetamide wash, no sulfur, made my skin so oily and red I’m dealing with repercussions 3 weeks later still. Completely ruined my skin texture and now I have large inflammatory pimples and tons of comedones despite being on topical antibiotic that cleared my acne for two months before adding this. Have to start doing oral antibiotics now to clear this up. Don’t recommend. Ps I have very mild rosacea or pre rosacea skin”

Alex34 February 4, 2016

Sumadan (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur): “My Dermatologist prescribed Sumadan to me for my acne. For the past 3 weeks I have been using it every night and day and have seen great result. My skin only has a few minor pimples but for the most part it's smooth and clear. However, recently the wash a begun to dry my skin and sometimes even burn it. I've decreased my usage to once a day which has helped but I would not recommend this product to anyone with overly sensitive skin.”

arielrossful · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2012

Clarifoam EF (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur): “I was given Clarifoam EF by my dermatologist for my cystic acne. I must say it did not work at all for me, it didn't get rid of break outs or stop them. I had been using it for 4 weeks and still managed to get 3 painful cystic pimples between my eyebrows.”

reviewer December 19, 2017

Avar Cleanser (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur): “After 2 months of random bad breakouts, I went to the dermatologist and was told I had mild/ moderate acne. I was prescribed the Avar cleanser to use at night with differen gel, and cetaphil acne prone face wash in the morning and to use Aczone as a spot treatment on breakouts. The avar cleanser was very nice. It smells but not that bad. I have dry skin and this has little exfoliating scrubs in it. It made my skin baby smooth. My acne is a lot better, but I have also been on doxycycline for a month. I do recommend this product! I hope it helps you!”

Julia608 January 14, 2016

“My dermatologist recommended Sumadan to me and I used it for a couple days. After about 3 uses, right when I washed my face wth it my face started burning. My face was covered in hives and was burning hot. The dermatologist said to keep it as the rash is common, but I just couldn't because I was in so much pain. Eventually she prescribed me something else”

Candi46 December 15, 2017

Sumadan (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur): “I was prescribed Sumadan Wash by my Dermatologist. My acne went away quickly. My face was so bad before I used this that I stopped going out because I had break outs and dark marks everywhere. I use this along with Aczone and tazorac. My dark spots are gone and so is my acne.”

Anonymous December 5, 2009

Clarifoam EF (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur): “Clarifoam works great...my skin looks amazing. The only drawback to using this product is that you have to leave it on for 10 minutes. I leave it on in the shower..but you have to do it twice a day making the second time harder because you have to wait to wash it off.”

Anonymous July 13, 2009

“I have tried everything to help my acne, Pills, Proactiv, Clean and Clear, and other dermatologist recommended products. This product by far has done the best job at helping get rid of my acne. I have finally found something that helps my acne. I would suggest this to anyone suffering from acne.”

nicknameoption August 7, 2010

“It works great. Really cleared up any acne around my lips. So if you have acne around your lips you definitely want to use this. My doctor makes me go to a dermatologist to get the prescription though. ”

Anonymous May 12, 2009

“This medication was originally prescribed to use for for boils under my armpits. It worked wonders for my boils so I started to use it as a wash for my face. It love how it cleared up my face and my face feels smooth.”

Learn more about Acne