User Reviews for Sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur

Also known as: Avar, Avar Cleanser, Avar Gel, Avar Green, Avar LS, Avar LS Cleanser, Avar-E, Avar-E Emollient, Avar-E Green, Avar-E LS, BP 10-Wash, Cerisa Wash, Clarifoam EF, Clenia Emollient Cream, Clenia Foaming Wash, ...show all 55 brand names

Learn more about Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur.

Seborrheic Dermatitis 2 reviews 307 medications

9.5
Rosacea 16 reviews 105 medications

Acne 23 reviews 562 medications

7.8
Summary of Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur reviews 41 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Sulfacetamide sodium/sulfur

For Rosacea: "Be very, very careful with this medication if you have sensitive skin. I have oily, acne prone, red skin that is very sensitive. In the past, a sodium sulfacetamide/sulfur wash had worked very well for my skin, so I had high hopes for this medication. I put some on last night and woke up to a bright red, inflamed face. I immediately got in the shower and washed the stuff off, but it has now been approximately 6 hours and my face is even redder. My recommendation is to test this first before you use it over your entire face. I'm praying this redness goes down because I can't even leave the house as of right now."

Eric R March 7, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I used the samples my doctor gave me for oily skin. It smelled terrible, but it really worked for my oily skin! I got the prescription and, guess what... it smells great and DOESN'T WORK! I brought it to my doctor and she compared the labels and they matched up. I thought maybe it was a fluke, so I got the medicine again and same thing... good smell, but doesn't work at all. It was so depressing because I had finally found something that controlled my oil, but I can't ask for a lifetime of samples! At $50 a pop (with insurance), I'm not going to keep trying it."

Stina880 February 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "I have to say being prescribed Avar cleanser and finding that it would cost over $400 for a 1 month supply with drug company card the generic is just as good. The other cream that I was prescribed...Aczone was $711 with my plan. I am still using samples but it has improved my face 50% on right side and 65% on left side so far over 2 weeks. My dermatologist called in Clindamycin to replace the aczone. I am a little weary."

ask871 January 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "It smells terrible,so I only used it at night when I showered. I gave it 2 months and it didn't help at all! I guess it works for some, and not for others."

Tommy327 January 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "Our Dermatology practice now offer a Cheap alternative to Salfacetamide is Joesoef Skin Care Sulfur Soap 10% with .25% Salicylic acid which makes it 100% effective treatment for Acne, Rosacea, Dermatitis (SD), Fungus, Bacteria, Clogged Pores, Body Acne, Tinea Versicolor and more. Sulfur is anti bacterial, anti fungal and antiseptic which makes it extremely effective treatment for various skin disorders. For more info visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGw3MYy4Po8 . This brand offers a complete line of natural Sulfur based skin care line formulated and developed by Dermatologists and FDA approved."

DermDude January 2, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "This is one of the few things that was able to clear up my skin, after searching for MANY years and trying lots of prescriptions that didn't work. One other, much less expensive alternative is a silver ion soap that you can get for around $12/bar. Lasts a long time and has really reduced my frequency of having to use the SSS 10-5 cream."

79AG December 2, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "After visiting several Dermatologists who pushed the typical drugs marketed by Big Pharma for acne rosacea (Metrogel or Finacea) and finding no success for my condition, I decided to do my own research here on Drugs Dot Com. I came across the rather positive reviews of this more obscure older drug, Sodium Sulfacetamide Sulfur (SSS). All I can say is that reviewers were spot on and I'm amazed by how good this drug has worked for my rosacea after using it for over a year now! Only potential problem with getting a prescription for SSS is that it sometimes isn't covered by insurance. My particular insurer no longer has it on its formulary. But thanks to Rx discount card I get a bottle or tube for less than $50 which lasts me over six months."

BumperPopper (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 24, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I 100000% agree about the smell. Its pretty bad, do not let it touch your clothes or good luck getting rid of the smell. Your face smells like sulfur after the wash and your sink smells like sulfur as well. I would recommend useing this during a shower only due not having it touch your clothes and to make sure if washs off completely. If it gets in your eyes prepare for alot of burning. For acne its pretty good but just becareful"

Orlandodsm21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "This product is absolutely amazing! I had severe acne from birth control and it left me with terrible hyperpigmentation and I still had some cystic acne. I've been using Epiduo which helps but I still was getting bad break outs when I was ovulating and before/during my period. I've been using this product for a few weeks now and see drastic results. Even my hyperpigmentation is fading!!! I couldn't be happier. It's not harsh on your skin at all and it doesn't dry it out. I think everyone should try this product!!! Probably best for moderate/mild acne."

Brookexo72 June 5, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "Life saver!! When I first got this I had about ten pimples on my face.. I've been suffering from acne for years and years. I applied this and went to bed and when I woke up I could already tell a difference. Within 2-3 days I had no pimples on my face! I'm not joking! Also it did not make my skin feel dry at all which is a bonus! This cream seriously boosted my self confidence by 100%! I will continue to use this for as long as I can."

Lucky girl 100 February 18, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "Very good medication for any kind of acne. I had terrible acne until I got prescribed this medicine. I've been using it for about 8 years and it changed my life."

OBNew February 16, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "This product is the best thing you can buy, it is amazing I had acne, and I went to my dermatologist, and she told me to buy this but this is awesome you should definitely buy this product"

Swavy February 13, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Sumadan (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur) for Acne: "My Dermatologist prescribed Sumadan to me for my acne. For the past 3 weeks I have been using it every night and day and have seen great result. My skin only has a few minor pimples but for the most part it's smooth and clear. However, recently the wash a begun to dry my skin and sometimes even burn it. I've decreased my usage to once a day which has helped but I would not recommend this product to anyone with overly sensitive skin."

Alex34 February 4, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "My dermatologist recommended Sumadan to me and I used it for a couple days. After about 3 uses, right when I washed my face wth it my face started burning. My face was covered in hives and was burning hot. The dermatologist said to keep it as the rash is common, but I just couldn't because I was in so much pain. Eventually she prescribed me something else"

Julia608 January 14, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "I used to pay $75 without insurance for this cream because it worked so well. I used it so sparingly like it was gold, but it could clear my face in just 1-3 days. Last time I tried to get it the price had gone up to $140 and the pharmacist said it had been discontinued. I moved to the UK and couldn't find anyone who had heard of it. Just by a fluke I was on Amazon recently (Oct 2015) and saw a 10% sulpher soap advertised on the side. When I searched for it, I found several types for under $7.50 for a BIG 200g bar. They also had a cream. My face was very swollen and red from being in the sun and lots of humidity I think. Within 3 days of using the soap twice a day followed by the cream my face was completely clear! Love it!"

Lucky D (taken for 10 years or more) November 19, 2015

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Rosacea: "I have suffered from this condition starting in my 30's....antibiotics made me nauseous, other prescription ointments didn't help much either. Now I was given a wash, it doesn't smell too bad and it seems to be working already very well after two uses. My face is much less red and the postules are already going away, too. I am confident that this medication will help me out a great deal"

rosirosaeca August 25, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Plexion Cleanser (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur) for Rosacea: "I have use the facial wash 1 time a day for over 10 years and it has done a great job . Occasionally I get 1 or 2 cysts which I care for with Finacea cream and I have kept my Rosacea in check ."

Kathy Pat July 29, 2014

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Avar LS Cleanser (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur) for Seborrheic Dermatitis: "This worked just fine from the samples that my Doctor gave me to try out. When I went to the pharmacy to get my Rx filled I found that the cost to me would be $388 and being on SS with no other income, left that as a no go."

Jack! (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2014

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Prascion RA (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur) for Rosacea: "The best thing there ever was, the only thing that works for twin brother and I."

kbean (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 23, 2013

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Clarifoam EF (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur) for Acne: "I love this product because it works amazingly well to clear up my acne. I do still get pimples but they're rarely bad and for the most part I don't get huge breakouts anymore. The only drawback for me is the smell. I was told to leave it on overnight, and I have to disagree with a previous commenter that this product does not smell. As with any other sulfur product, it smells like sulfur. The longer you use it for the worse it gets. I have to throw out my sheets and sleep shirts every 6 months because they stink, and I can't ever wash them with anything I wear in public. I also have to be good about exfoliating, or the smell starts to stick to me too. I do think this product is worth it if sulfur is your only option, but be prepared!"

lmm42 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 1, 2013

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Acne: "I had severe acne for about 3 years, after all the lasers, chemical peels, pills, tropical treatments, I'm finally almost cleared up. I'll be getting a lazer treatment done soon to get rid of my acne scars, and just to shrink my oil glands, but now I'm on this cleanser and it seems to work great!"

allieee (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2012

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Clarifoam EF (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur) for Acne: "I was given Clarifoam EF by my dermatologist for my cystic acne. I must say it did not work at all for me, it didn't get rid of break outs or stop them. I had been using it for 4 weeks and still managed to get 3 painful cystic pimples between my eyebrows."

arielrossful (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2012

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Rosula (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur) for Rosacea: "I used the brand name ROSULA yellow cream, which came in a tube, before they stopped making it. When used it in the morning along with Duac at night, it helped my Rosacea and skin in general. I went to another brand (only one active ingredient) when I could no longer get Rosula cream--it's a watery clear liquid; not as effective and drips everywhere."

Anonymous March 14, 2012

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Clarifoam EF (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur) for Acne: "It does wonders to my skin! I like to use it as a leave in foam overnight instead of the cleanser."

Anonymous February 13, 2012

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Clenia Foaming Wash (sulfacetamide sodium / sulfur) for Acne: "Great working, good smell, easy for use...one of the best products for preventing acne."

Anonymous November 4, 2011